Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Worst hardware pieces you ever owned? - Minitokyo

Worst hardware pieces you ever owned?

page 1 of 1 11 total items

akiranyo

akiranyo

Astraea Kisaragi

We all like computers and we are often proud for owning one with greats specs. Or owning a GPU which can easily run even new & demanding games on very high details. Or perhaps expensive high quality branded peripherials like gaming keyboards or mouses.
But guess everybody had ownership of pieces, which wheren't that great, went wrong too fast or had issues from day 1. So, anybody has a few good stories to share?

My personal experiences:

Motherboard EPOX KT-266A - Well, no wonder this company went out of business. Low quality capacitors, low quality everything, stupid BIOS. It had compatibility issues with the CPU for what it was made and overheated regardless of cooling. It melted under a AMD Athlon XP 1700+. Last known temperature of the motherboard before the ultimate death was 81 Celsius - by playing Doom 3.

Power Supply Eurocase 350w - According my mentor, this PSU manufacturer is the reason for half of the computer failures here in Central Europe. Unfortunately I didn't knew that time the importance of chosing a quality power supply. No energy saving certificates, regular coil whine, unefficent, loud fan. It burned out, yeah. Luckily only with smoke, not flames and I was by the PC that time. Another luck is that it didn't effected anything else. I heard stories where computers with Diablotek supplies even exploded. Avoid both brands if you can. Best to stick to Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, XFX or such, even if you need pay more.

Manli Geforce 2MX 200 32mb and Manli Geforce 3 Ti 200 64mb - while both fantastic chips with great performance in games, the fans stopped working on both in a short time. So all my greeting to owners of Manli, luckily they went away from our markets. Since then I own only MSI or ASUS and never had any issues eitherwith cards or their fans.

Intel Box Cooler - Wish they wouldn't add coolers into boxes at all. Loud like a soviet MIG-29, sometimes I think the guys in the factory must be deaf or something.
Any aftermarket cooler will offer more silent solution and will be also more efficent, by some lowering it by 20 celsius.

some HP keyboard - the keys started to stick in. Funnily the ones used the rarest. I should have oil it.

Since I write satires, my whole life is one huge inspiration. (Horatius)
Signature

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

1. old Acer monitor. Once one pixel on it died, it just...went crazy. Full-on jerking, color displacement and constant contrast/lighting shifts made reading or working in Photoshop pretty much impossible. Luckily for me, it decided to go insane 2 months before the warranty expired, so I went back and switched it for another - much better - one which I'm currently using (Samsung).

2. old scanner (Mustek - wut? I don't even know who they are). Aside from the tiny scanning resolution (like 1/4 of what my current one can do), it scanned all images with red and green lines across them. Cleaning was hell. Not cool AT ALL.

3. old Canon printer (which I still use). Takes ages to warm up, ink disappears like I'm pouring it directly from the cartridge onto the paper, makes a lot of noise. Despite this, it does pretty well for an outdated piece of tech with quite a few years under its belt.

The monitor might've been a fluke, though; my mom bought a notebook from Acer a few years ago and it's still good to go despite the limitations (RAM, mostly).
Samsung, on the other hand - nothing to complain about there.

This thread is going to turn into one big "X vs. Y" ad, lmao.

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

Huesin

Administrator, Linguistics

Huesin

dead to everyone

When I was a kid, I had a monitor (I don't remember the brand), but it was one of those white monster boxes that when I turned it on the lights of my room flickered a bit. One day I hit it hard cuz it was acting weird, and the screen got a strange red color, not the regular red. I felt like I was a daltonic vampire cuz I kept using it for 2 months..

I had other monitors, but that one was the worst x.x

Signature
	ImageThere's always one who plants an evil seed and
preaches fear to pull you to the other side
Into a world of lies.

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Quote by HuesinOne day I hit it hard cuz it was acting weird, and the screen got a strange red color, not the regular red.

Very old people were right, computers really are the Devil's work! Hide yo family, people!
Hue surviving to tell the tale is highly suspicious too *squints*

Hmm, another POS hardware...a mouse where the right button would only work ~40% of the time. Can't remember the brand.

akiranyo

akiranyo

Astraea Kisaragi

Quote by pandemonium91Hmm, another POS hardware...a mouse where the right button would only work ~40% of the time. Can't remember the brand.

Didn't mentioned, but I had a A4Tech mouse, which went wrong like in half year? And problems after a month already. Since then I never touched that brand and going with either Logitech or Razer, even if I need pay more. We vector artists cannot be skimpy on mouses, we require precision like of the pro Counterstrike players.

Signature

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Quote by akiranyoDidn't mentioned, but I had a A4Tech mouse, which went wrong like in half year? And problems after a month already. Since then I never touched that brand and going with either Logitech or Razer, even if I need pay more. We vector artists cannot be skimpy on mouses, we require precision like of the pro Counterstrike players.

Oh yeah, currently using a Logitech one as well. It's stood a lot of abuse, including PS, games and me pulling it angrily 'cause the cord gets tangled in all the crap on my desk. 10/10 would buy from them again *thumbs up*

akiranyo

akiranyo

Astraea Kisaragi

I think the situation regarding brands & quality issues is now better as it was like a decade ago. Best is explained by the most basic part - the motherboard.
When I go to our local shop, they have only ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI and ASRock. Luckily neither ECS, Biostar or Foxconn have a market here. Though I would like if we could buy a Tyan, even if their prices would probably top of ASUS.

I remember when AMD K7 (socket 462) came out and the big names didn't had enough boards for them, so every little company on Taiwan/China tried his luck to make some cash. That was the birth of some brands, which according some test where okay only if you used your PC as a mere typewriter and not for any 3D gaming. What I remember there was a Matsonic, PC Chips, Octek and the cherry on the cake - a motherboard called Zida Tomato.
You think I joke? Such board really existed until the P4 era! http://www.thg.ru/mainboard/20020708/images/zida-box.jpg

Signature

Angi

Retired Moderator

Angi

But it is not this day!

Mac mouses fuuuuu...x.x' that's why I use a tablet :P, but then my intuos 5 pen broke, I didn't even drop it, not even once, still works tho. Then one of the buttons fell off :/ not the outside but the inner part of it goes dancing all around the pen @.@ I don't use that button but hey it shouldn't fall off ; ;

Signature Image
This day we fight!

elisadevelon

Retired Moderator

elisadevelon

The purple vamp

Quote by xangel0Mac mouses fuuuuu...x.x' that's why I use a tablet :P, but then my intuos 5 pen broke, I didn't even drop it, not even once, still works tho. Then one of the buttons fell off :/ not the outside but the inner part of it it goes dancing all around the pen @.@ I don't use that button but hey it shouldn't fall off ; ;

WHAAAT?! Poor pen. Can't you claim it? Or has the guarantee expired?

omg, I remember my first flash disk. It was only 1GB and I only had images stored on it. It stopped working after a year or so. Also, you had to be careful when pulling off the cover otherwise you'd pull out the insides/chips out together with it. Although, to be completely honest, I must say it was partly my fault, too. As my aunt says, I'm capable of destroying steel plates. She bought me a new flash tested by the US army and it's been working for like 5 years already.

Angi

Retired Moderator

Angi

But it is not this day!

Quote by elisadevelonWHAAAT?! Poor pen. Can't you claim it? Or has the guarantee expired?

Yep, its been more than a year xD, here's a pic

Spoiler (show)

http://i58.tinypic.com/1z1ebzl.jpg

that misplaced thingie in the middle should be in the first circle down ; ;

Signature Image
This day we fight!

GoldenApe

GoldenApe

Careless Monkey

I always try to do my research before buying hardware, so luckily I never had any absolute disasters happen with my hardware.
My worse experience has probably been with Roccat though. I bought their Kone mouse, because it felt so incredibly comfortable and it received so many good reviews when it came out. Sadly, two months later a bug in the firmware made my mouse double-click at random times and the scroll-wheel got a bit loose, something an alarming number of people reported on as well. That's always the sucky part of buying tech: reviews can be ever so positive, but they can never tell you what it's like to own the product after a year or so.
I sent the mouse back under warranty, and the shop offered a replacement, but I opted to take my money back and simply replace the worn-down feet of my Logitech MX518 instead. Later, I bought a Roccat mousepad, but that also went wrong after a couple of weeks when air bubbles start to form between the rubber base and plastic top. I still think Roccat makes some cool and interesting stuff, but in my experience their quality control is really shitty.

Like xangel0, I now mostly use a Wacom tablet, but yea, that's not always a perfect solution either. In fact, I think Wacom is really abusing their monopoly position these past few years. I mean, the original Bamboo was pretty amazing because it was a quality product for an affordable price. But then they changed the design, putting the USB cable on the f*cking side where your keyboard is, so it's constantly in the way. I am convinced this is a deliberate dick move by Wacom to push their optional wireless module (sold seperately, of course). And now they changed the line-up again! Thankfully they did actually put the USB cable on the top side again for the new Intuos tablets (which for some reason now replace what used to be the Bamboo), but I'm still wary of the quality (also seeing how poorly those pens are made as shown above).

Also Epson printers. Screw Epson printers. Bought one for my mom, got clogged up a couple of months later, because apparently those things only work if you keep printing stuff every day so the ink-tubes stay lubricated. What!? I can leave my Canon printer off for months, print something, and get a great result every single time. Never again, Epson.

page 1 of 1 11 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.