Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Anime/manga guilty pleasure - Minitokyo

Anime/manga guilty pleasure

page 1 of 1 17 total items

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

What is your anime/manga (or genre of either) guilty pleasure? As in, something you enjoy, but may feel a sense of guilt or fear of what others may think for doing so.

I'm a bit embarrassed to confess my enjoyment for the manga Prison School. I like the concept, but it's got EXTREME fanservice.... In the NSFW sense.

In addition, shoujo manga is always a time sink for me.... Though the plotlines are generally pretty standard and predictable, I get sucked in by the artwork/hot men and fantasy aspect of "fairy tale" romance.

Signature Image

Blue-Crescent

Blue-Crescent

The Wandering Moonchild.

I find it guilty to admit that I love Sailormoon and Wedding Peach. I find them girly.
Generally also, I find it guilty to admit I love anime.They judge me for being so childish that at the age of 19 I still watch anime.
They tell me to mature and I always tell them
"Duh! Anime is for everyone and it is intentionally created for adults.If you watch it as a child, you'll end up enjoying the colors and illustrations without totally understanding the plot and message that the anime wants to convey.So please stop thinking that anime are just for children. Besides, one can mature without leaving his love for anime.Another thing, don't they know that to some anime lovers, the wonderful characters they see on the anime help them to be more mature." ^^

" A mind full of bitter memories , a past drenched in sadness and watered with my tears,
A heart nurtured by the littlest spark of hope, a present fed by the wildest dreams,
A body scarred by the savage adversities, a future that holds the greatest uncertainties,
These are the deepest parts of my blue soul, armored and shielded by an indestructible fortress. " Signature

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

^ you are so right Chanchan-kun I agree with you my parents say that too and my reply is like what you've said ^^

My guilty pleasure is Otome anime.I know they are targeted towards females but i fall inlove with otome anime's story (many peoples hate otome but i do love it), characters and artwork.
other than that i do love Romantic and Magical girl genre my father says you are more like a girl than a boy but i never listen to them it's my interest and I don't like to become third person like we are in Shounen anime but in Shoujo i can feel a characters feelings, confusion and dilemma and it becomes more realistic than shounen manga and anime.It's my guilty pleasure but I don't regret it now and never, I don't care what others say.

Anyway, what does mad mean exactly? Aren't we all a little mad?
Don't we have to be somewhat mad just to go on living, to go on hoping?
Signature Image

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Most of the time, I like to read manga with a good plot and not-cliche characters.

And other times I just like to fall back on good ol' brainless yaoi. The more unrealistic the plot and circumstances convenient for the characters - the better.

For some reason, I also feel the need to re-read Mayu Shinjo's Akuma na Eros sometimes; it's a big soup of cliches but oh so entertaining in a "so bad, it's good" way!

@ Blue-Crescent: well, most current shows (cartoons and anime) are made to appeal to two types of audiences - kids and parents. Some jokes obviously fly over the kids' head but the adults get them ^_~ All anime is for kids in the same way that all cartoons are for kids i.e. not.
People may say they like certain movie or cartoon characters, but it doesn't mean similar characters aren't found in anime/manga as well. Anime and manga have their own cliches, just like cartoons and movies; you just have to do a bit of digging to find the truly good and different characters.

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

Blue-Crescent

Blue-Crescent

The Wandering Moonchild.

@Pandemonium91: I guess so but what makes me mad is the way they sometimes treat anime. Cartoons we usually watch in CN or Disney are far different from the Japanese anime we usually watch. Anime tackle more serious and adult themes. They even inculcate some good values on them and even help us create sound judgement over certain dilemmas commonly encountered in daily living. I find the cartoon a little awkward though somehow, they are still part of my childhood. I really want to show them that there are big differences over the two and that anime is a more mature choice. A lot of anime even have deeper sense compared to other movies. Example, I love horror movies but I hate those movies where humans are being mutilated so much like they are being dismembered, decapitated and even disemboweled (e.g SAW, WRONG TURN, Friday the 13th). I'd rather watch an anime than watching those gross movies. ^^

At least, in anime cute girls and guys are there. Fighting for justice or what ever their good principles in life are.

" A mind full of bitter memories , a past drenched in sadness and watered with my tears,
A heart nurtured by the littlest spark of hope, a present fed by the wildest dreams,
A body scarred by the savage adversities, a future that holds the greatest uncertainties,
These are the deepest parts of my blue soul, armored and shielded by an indestructible fortress. " Signature

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

I wouldn't say anime in general is more mature than cartoons. It's all a matter of the public it's addressed to. Obviously some anime are more childish, but some cartoons are also more mature (X-Men and Batman, for example; X-Men deals with quite a lot of heavy themes). So if we're (wrongly) comparing X-Men and Sailor Moon, for example, I'd say X-Men is much more mature. Or comparing Hellsing and Dora the Explorer: Hellsing obviously has more mature themes and Dora is childish, but Hellsing is for adults and Dora is for kids, so that's inevitable. So yeah, generalizing is a no-no ;) Both anime and cartoons have qualities and flaws of their own, none is decidedly better or worse than the other.

I could make a case about the (first) Saw movies not being as shallow as people usually say they are, but that'd stray from the discussion ;)

And to add another guilty pleasure since we're straying a bit from the topic: happy endings! I don't know if this applies, but I'm rarely in the mood for reading tragedies or dramas, however good they may be XD

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

Blue-Crescent

Blue-Crescent

The Wandering Moonchild.

@pandemonium91: Well, I guess we have different points of view but what matters is that we are brought here by a common interest and I bet that's anime.

I love happy endings too! I always want to have a smile on the face after each anime/movie I watch. Also, I love thought-provoking movies and medical movies. I can somehow relate to it. ^^

BushidoGaara

BushidoGaara

Your eyes see nothing...

For me, it's Highschool of the Dead. Sure it has a LOT of fan service, but it's a horror anime. Something that I really enjoy, not only the fan service, but the zombies!

Knowing it is an ideal never to be reached...strive toward it again today. As a matter of course. - Kaname Tosen (Bleach)

Blue-Crescent

Blue-Crescent

The Wandering Moonchild.

@dad3i: I've seen an episode of it but never pursued it. What's a fan service? I really am ignorant about it. ^^

BushidoGaara

BushidoGaara

Your eyes see nothing...

I'm not really good at explaining what it is, but here's a link to what this term is:

Wikipedia: Fan Service

Knowing it is an ideal never to be reached...strive toward it again today. As a matter of course. - Kaname Tosen (Bleach)

moritz

Scanner

moritz

the cursing hedgehog

I feel a guilty pleasure when reading mangas like To Love Darkness, because the heroines are often caught in kinky situations which contrast with their natural innocence ^_^

I'll give you a spoonful of ecchi with a pinch of humor ^_^
Signature

izayoichan

izayoichan

Sore o dākunesu. Enbureisu.

my guilty pleasure is ecchi-ish anime/manga. Being a girl, i keep getting told it is unlady like. i am like "Meh, what ever. Just leave me alone and let me be! So i like Ikkitousen, and Queen's blade. That does not make me any less a girl then a girl skipping down the street licking a lollipop! lemme alone!"

Signature
People fall into darkness because they have lost sight of the true nature of the light within them. Unable to find that light they flounder desperately while suffering in agony, only to give birth to tragedy. And there is no greater cause of tragedy, no greater source of darkness, than warfare.

Blue-Crescent

Blue-Crescent

The Wandering Moonchild.

@dad3i: Thank you very much for the link my friend. I had internet problem last night so I wasn't able to read it. Well, I now understand what it means. I guess I am enjoying it too after reading the article. But the ones that has sexual themes. ^^ Thanks again.

Also, I have a lot of guilty pleasures watching anime that has bishounen or bishoujo. I always consider the art of the anime. I love good looking characters so I somehow make sure the anime I watch are properly sifted in accordance to my standard. ^^

Please be aware that long personal responses should not included in threads. You may use the "Quote in Guestbook" feature instead. Thread replies should remain topical.

minayuri

minayuri

Like An Endless Waltz

I like the Cream Lemon hentai anthology series (mainly the Ami Nonomura stories, the Escalation arc, the RALL arc, & Mako Sexy Symphony arc...STAR TRAP was pretty good too). I also enjoyed the Front Innocent and Kite hentai OVA's too.

Also ecchi shows like Agent Aika, Burn Up W, Golden Boy, and New Cutey Honey...even Bastard! is one I consider a guilty pleasure. Although I tend to favor old-school ecchi shows more, from watching Highschool of the Dead, it's now a guilty pleasure favorite for me too.

Signature

fitarol15

fitarol15

*Karin-Koenig <3

mm i don't think i have..i'm free i say what i like and don't care about what people say

"Ducunt Volentem Fata Nolentem Trahunt = Fate leads the willing soul, but drags along the unwilling one"
Signature

FadingLights2015

FadingLights2015

♫YukiClan♫

Quote by fitarol15mm i don't think i have..i'm free i say what i like and don't care about what people say

I Agree With Fitarol15.

"It's my duty as a guardian to protect Cross Academy, day and night."
-Yuki KuranSignature Image

page 1 of 1 17 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.