Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Anime and Cartoons - Minitokyo

Anime and Cartoons

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Entertainment venue for people who can tell the difference or people who generally fail at considering more than 1 possibility.

So what is the difference between both of them?

To clear the common consensus for some people - anime is considered under the umbrella of cartoons.
Looking at it in a different way though, that's not entirely true.
Sadly, there's no real drawn differences between the two. Saying western cartoons are the same as Japanese animation is identical to telling me sitting in church makes you a Christian.

Anime is a term used for mostly any piece of animation originating from Japan. There are anime series that appeal to children and there are cartoon shows that appeal to teens and adults - but based on a general view, we rule out exceptions not in pool of the majority. It's sometimes safe to assume Anime is directed at Teens while Cartoons are directed at the younger audience.

The only difference everyone would agree on is that Anime is from Japan and Cartoons are mostly from the Western region.

Alen brought up some good information where 'manga' is used for Japanese comics only -> You don't call Batman a manga, also Anime has a specific art style and animation similarities between each other that they don't share with cartoons. || However, the only reason anime and cartoons have become hard to tell apart from each other is mostly due to appeal of popularity. Things that generally remain special to anime would be the reactions of the characters when faced with stressful situations, being shocked or other types of expression that is usually exaggerated. Nosebleeds are another example of something not seen in Cartoons.

Sometimes the basic things are the only things that separate them.
Style and Origin.
Because of the detail these 2 carry when describing something, it's not accurate to say that they are the same since the word 'same' implies extremely close or flat-line similar.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Terminology-wise, sure, I understand the desire to be as correct as possible. In casual conversation, I've come across many people who don't differentiate between anime and cartoons (calling both "cartoons"). Some appreciate being made aware of the correct term and the differences, while some just don't care since both forms of animation don't have a big impact in their lives.

You and Alen bring up an interesting point in regards to manga/comics. We have a few OEL (Original English Language) series on Minitokyo: OEL Manga, and it's interesting to note some that are more similar to Western comics (Fool's Gold or Sorcerers & Secretaries) and some that imitate the "Japanese" style (like Return to Labyrinth - similar to the art of Ayami Kojima and Ayumi Kasai). Aside from the reading direction, what would you say are details that help differentiate between manga and comics?

Also, what would you call Western shows that imitate the anime style? E.g. Avatar: The Last Airbender (American), The Legend of Korra (American), Ōban Star-Racers (this one's more of a gray area since it's a French/Japanese production). Some people call them anime-styled, some - anime, and others - cartoons.

And a follow up question open to everyone: have you actually gotten offended (not just mildly upset, but actually pissed) when someone called anime "cartoons" or vice-versa?

(I'm done with the questions for now, lol.)

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

I call it cartoons all the time, or anime for everything or just animation, because that's what is short for anime is animation. don't see the big deal about it to be honest, if you're going to be offended by words then that's your choice, but I see no big deal about the whole thing. and as for the usage of manga, I don't use that term either, I call them comic books as well, because that's what they are, once again don't see the big deal about the whole thing.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by angelxxuanI call it cartoons all the time, or anime for everything or just animation, because that's what is short for anime is animation. don't see the big deal about it to be honest, if you're going to be offended by words then that's your choice, but I see no big deal about the whole thing. and as for the usage of manga, I don't use that term either, I call them comic books as well, because that's what they are, once again don't see the big deal about the whole thing.

Neither do I.

Quote by pandemonium91Terminology-wise, sure, I understand the desire to be as correct as possible. In casual conversation, I've come across many people who don't differentiate between anime and cartoons (calling both "cartoons"). Some appreciate being made aware of the correct term and the differences, while some just don't care since both forms of animation don't have a big impact in their lives.

You and Alen bring up an interesting point in regards to manga/comics. We have a few OEL (Original English Language) series on Minitokyo: OEL Manga, and it's interesting to note some that are more similar to Western comics (Fool's Gold or Sorcerers & Secretaries) and some that imitate the "Japanese" style (like Return to Labyrinth - similar to the art of Ayami Kojima and Ayumi Kasai). Aside from the reading direction, what would you say are details that help differentiate between manga and comics?

Also, what would you call Western shows that imitate the anime style? E.g. Avatar: The Last Airbender (American), The Legend of Korra (American), Ōban Star-Racers (this one's more of a gray area since it's a French/Japanese production). Some people call them anime-styled, some - anime, and others - cartoons.

And a follow up question open to everyone: have you actually gotten offended (not just mildly upset, but actually pissed) when someone called anime "cartoons" or vice-versa?

(I'm done with the questions for now, lol.)

Supposedly people still spend time debating on the entire thing, idk how some people can argue forever about it. I'll just label it as something people argued about back and forth. I've really no idea what to call western shows that were made in anime style, which is usually why I just stick to CoO for what I reference. If I had to describe it then that's a completely different story.

and no, but I do find it funny when people start sharing views on what makes anime or cartoons to them. They bring up things such as anime having more of a story or an actual plot whilst cartoons do not, but there are always exceptions (i.e Batman) which seem to be swimming in a pool which gets larger as time goes by.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Redwyn

Redwyn

#SJW apparently

I love Avatar: The Last Airbender. I call it a cartoon. I haven't watch The Legend of Korra. The show is a continuation of Avatar: The Last Airbender so that I call a cartoon as well.

For me, cartoon is American and anime is Japanese, and that's basically it. This is the reason why my mother will never understand me.

#likethat'sabadthinglol

A thread about chinese cartoons on a forum about chinese cartoons?
How outstanding. brb I might "not-spam" firefly's thread after this.
So yeah guys here's the main thing:

Vicky is an animu
The animated bee Maya is also of animu

I can hear your chin dropping

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Quote by Darthasand no, but I do find it funny when people start sharing views on what makes anime or cartoons to them. They bring up things such as anime having more of a story or an actual plot whilst cartoons do not, but there are always exceptions (i.e Batman) which seem to be swimming in a pool which gets larger as time goes by.

True, there are crappy anime and awesome cartoons (and vice-versa) so the whole "anime is better 'cause it's deeper" is a naive statement, IMO (unless you're comparing similar shows). But hey, I guess it's fun to play dumb and annoy a super hardcore anime fan by calling anime "cartoons"; too bad I don't know any in real life.

Quote by merynoko[color=fuchsia]Vicky is an animu
The animated bee Maya is also of animu[/color]

I can hear your chin dropping

Only because I thought Vicky was a girl. BRB renaming one of my Sims from "Victor" to "Vicky". Thanks for the idea.

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

cartoons describes the western life style and mentality.. it is generally focused on humor and some have educational purpose...it contain little realism and most of them are clearly made for a very young audience ... however i personally enjoyed cartoons like hey arnold i think it is almost as realistic as an anime or tv series.
there are also the tex avery style cartoons which contain mature humor ..i even think that its sense of humor and wit are superior to those of anime.

animes are different ..of course it describes the japanese way of life and mentality ..the aesthetical values are also different and they tend to imitate the seriousness and the cinematic dynamism of movies which make them more appealing to teenagers and adults...it can be tragic ,sexy or epic.. japanese humor is also very pleasing ^^

an important detail.. the aesthical values differs ...japanese people favor the androgynous aspect for males and a cherubic appearance for females.
in the west generally males have to be more masculine and muscular and females more womanly looking.

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.