Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Are animal capable of feeling love and other emotions? - Minitokyo

Are animal capable of feeling love and other emotions?

Do animals feel emotions?

Not a chance
0 votes
I suppose that it is possible, although unlikely.
1 votes
I'm torn both ways.
0 votes
It's somewhat likely.
0 votes
I think that it's very probable.
3 votes
Yes, I'm sure that they do.
23 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 1 23 total items

I believe that this is as much a scientific question as any other so, are animals, pets or not, capable of feeling and expressing love? I have my own beliefs but I wanted to see some of our members respond before weighing in. Does your dog or cat love you? Are they capable of emotions such as happiness or depression? Obviously we may see a dog wagging its tail, or a cat rubbing up against the leg of its owner, but is this merely a learned or instinctual behavior or is it much more than that? What do you believe?

Doobyfunk15

Doobyfunk15

Kampfer Hario

I'm certain they do, from my own and others' experiences.

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Mm, I don't know about deep emotions, but my cat certainly likes me more than my parents, haha. Probably because I spoil her a lot XD And whenever I'm away from home for an extended period of time, she always jumps me when I get home and doesn't let me go until I spoiler her for at least an hour, lol.
Pets do have different personalities, though, I've noticed this with cats, dogs and budgies. I don't know if I'd call it "emotion", but they can certainly express affection.

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

dchoggia14

dchoggia14

Gumi x Len

I brlive they do, even i cannot prove it with scientific proofs. I saw my femakw cat seems happy when she licking her kittens, seems worry when her kittens playing to far from her, also got depressed and keep meowing all night when she lost all kittens like calling them. Im prety sure those are emotions, not just parent instics

/l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_,)ノ

404UserNotFound

404UserNotFound

Bye Bitch

Well emotions are a result of chemical reactions in the brain, certain chemicals resulting in different emotions. We express emotions seemingly naturally as well, a smile or a laugh when we are happy, tears when we cry. Even some veague signs when we are bored and whatnot. SOme signs are more obvious than others.
That being said, knowing how emotions work I'm pretty sure animals have them. I've seen my budgies get mad at each other, and other times- happily playing together. You'll see that in other animals as well, a dog wagging it's tail, a dog growling at somebody it doesn't like. I once knew a dog that felt nervous around boys yet comfortable around girls. So yes, I strongly believe they have emotions.
Hope this made sense and that I'm not just rambling nonsense.

I'm gon' be straight with yall. I ain't coming back here.

^ That makes sense, but some scientists may believe that chemical reactions in the brain are not necessarily indicative of actual emotions, particularly in non-humans. I have have numerous dogs, each of them with different personalities. One of them, Tulip, a female Shetland Sheepdog considered me, "her person." She would wait for me to pick her up and hold her when I got home and snuggle her, I know that she loved me more than anything. She would follow me wherever I went in the house and stay close to me. She even recognized my voice over the phone. Just last night there was a program on satellite TV about a couple who had raised a Polar bear from about twelve weeks of age because it's mother was aged and infirm. They both knew that the bear loved them, especially the husband was adored by it. She loved him as a female child would love her father. It was touching to see. Yes, I have no doubt that animals feel and express love and other emotions.

They are acting solely on instincts, nothing to discuss here. We could learn a lot from them though.
For the most popular opinion: They don't rot each other out.

If they could feel and think, they'd quickly learn how to hate one another, or maybe not.
Houyhnhnms wouldn't be bad if they existed, then again they had us as something to describe everything bad with. But it's not as surreal as someone's fictional travels.
Horses are apparently pretty smart, for example they won't drink muddy water, only clear, if it's not necessary to drink the first one.

joey101

joey101

MarkieMoo

I think that they have emotions...especially possession

You do you, I`ll do me, And we wont do each other
Probably.........

kuro115b

kuro115b

Hello...It's been a long time?

well....I almost get an accident when I was a kid and there's this dog of my neighbour that I always play with come rescue me and died...can I say that the dog name Salma has that feeling of wantig to save me? I know that Salma love me...

Signature
Hi nyann~

elisadevelon

Retired Moderator

elisadevelon

The purple vamp

A friend of mine had a bunny that liked to snuggle a lot. When my friend didn't have time for snuggling though, the bunny would take offence and run away into another room litterally stomping. Normally, you wouldn't hear it hopping around but these would be real stomps.

Also, I have a tomcat. I know he can get angry; he always hisses then. He's also extremely curious about everything; he always sniffs everything that I bring home and/or sticks his head into it. He gets excited, too - whenever I have a hairbrush in my hand, he starts to nuzzle and meow uncontrollably and wants me to brush his fur. And of course, he loves my family and me, and when someone comes home from school/work, he always stops whatever he's doing at that moment and hurries to the door to welcome the person. Every single time. No one can persuade me that animals don't have feelings.

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

Funny thing is that I had this discussion a couple days ago with a certain someone. It resulted in going nowhere because none of us knew the answer. Why? You would have had to study animals in order to know.

As far as my own opinion and thoughts go, I actually think it is true. Animals may be less intellectual than humans, but humans are still animals. Looking at a biological way, animals wouldn't be able to feel emotions if it was only limited to more intellectual animals. Thing is, no matter how much you can call it instinct from an animal, they express certain emotions or feelings that we recognize.

Love is difficult to define by itself, but an easy general definition is using it as a synonym for "affection". When it comes to love, many animals do not stick to one partner in their life, but some actually do (I forgot which ones, but I recall hearing it). Maybe it's instinctual to stick to one partner or even a tradition. In some way, you can pat someone on the shoulder, even an animal for staying loyal to their partners.

At least to me, I believe it is a form of love. Not to mention there are other forms of love considering animals (ex. Elephants mourn about death). Most people recognize animals being able to love when they are their pet. Not only are they dependant on you, but so far I've heard and noticed a change of "missing your loved ones" in my own dogs when you aren't around a lot or just not at all for a while. Yes, they do get their attention and such because there are still other people, but there is a change in their behaviour. I can't tell if it is because something is not right or it is actually because of the person itself. What I can tell is, they do show many other emotions. Dogs show a lot of appreciation by being loyal to their master's and family. You could see this as a form of love, because to an animal, it isn't just a job. It is their life.

I could say more things, but my post might get long and boring.

These beautiful, fragile days are reborn, unfaded
Signature

gadisitugirl

gadisitugirl

D u n d u n

I think they do have emotions :D
I could see my cats jumping or running around when my family and I arrive at home :D it's like they are happy to see us >_<
and I make this conclusions based my experience :D I can't tell all of them.. >_<

Signature Imageᴍᴀʏ ʜᴀᴘᴘɪɴᴇss ʙᴇ ᴀʀᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜs! ಥ‿ಥ

Huesin

Administrator, Linguistics

Huesin

dead to everyone

Hachiko waited for 10 years and died while waiting for his dead owner. Swans have only one partner in their life. Monkeys start wars with other monkeys (of their same species). Love and hate are humans' strongest emotions, so imo, animals can have deep feelings.

Signature
	ImageThere's always one who plants an evil seed and
preaches fear to pull you to the other side
Into a world of lies.

elisadevelon

Retired Moderator

elisadevelon

The purple vamp

Quote by HuesinHachiko waited for 10 years and died while waiting for his dead owner. Swans have only one partner in their life. Monkeys start wars with other monkeys (of their same species). Love and hate are humans' strongest emotions, so imo, animals can have deep feelings.

You made me remember that sea otters hold each other's paws not to lose each other while sleeping. This sounds more like an instinct, though.

Still, that example with Hachiko is a cool one. It's an illustrarion of true devotion.

Huesin

Administrator, Linguistics

Huesin

dead to everyone

*holds Elisa-chan's hand* that's no instinct, that's love~ ;3

lol jk ^^; here, take this fluffy sea otter:

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/e9/46/de/e946de6da11ad52e097a3a78d10c7abc.jpg

Signature
	ImageThere's always one who plants an evil seed and
preaches fear to pull you to the other side
Into a world of lies.

kuro115b

kuro115b

Hello...It's been a long time?

The fluffy sea otter is so fluffy and cute! Kawaiiii neee.....>_<
seeing this make me think that animal capable of showing emotion like dog for example...The golden my uncle has always showing the sad face when my family are going home after visiting my uncle every Saturday.
Maybe the emotion of animal are from heart like human?
I think this is the most fundamental thing we need to know if we agree that animal have emotion...

Signature
Hi nyann~

Though I haven't read any research on this, I find it hard to disbelieve that higher animals like most mammals we see like dogs, cats, pigs, cows, etc. have emotions!

But, definition of emotions becomes vague as you go towards lower animals.. are emotions meant to make you socially acceptable so one can protect themselves, mate, etc. etc.? All these functions serve to propagate the existence of the species through time. And if we just take this functional definition then even trees might have emotions.. though they might not be able to express them in ways understandable to most humans.. the red color of leaves just before winter, the flowers in spring, they all might be trees way of expressing emotions. But it gets even more vague as we go further down to bacteria and all...

How does one define emotion? For now I can think of this: "Signals sent consciously or unconsciously by a living organism to the factors that affect it to manipulate their(factors') behavior so that it becomes more desirable for its own existence"
But don't know if bacteria can actually send any such signal in even the most general terms.. so the word emotion itself might lose meaning when they're concerned...

But anyways, for mammals, I really think they've got emotions.. even birds.. and maybe even non-mammalian fishes.. who knows.

Why die only once when you can die a little everyday

LuluOokami

LuluOokami

Sir Lulu

I am going to say yes cause I had a dog that seemed depressed when the cat that we had passed away.

Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution"

believe they do have feelings. when my dog was given away to other owners, she stopped eating and would spend her time crying, she managed to runaway and find her way back to my city and when i happened to find her on the street i swear i had never seen or heard to cry so much. cows are known to have best friends and when separated they get depressed and act abnormally. so an animals main goal in life is to create many offspring in their life, BUT what about the homosexual couple animals out there. they cant reproduce yet there they are being lovey dovey adorable lions or penguins (etc.)

Signature

Tasukes73

Tasukes73

♥Mikuru Asahina♥

Quote by HooyaahDo animals feel emotions?

of course. they're even capable of physically expressing it on their faces...

♥Mikuru Asahina♥

lalagirl211

lalagirl211

BELIEVE In YOURSELF!!!

Not all can feel emotions ulol... Dogs can understand you, dog canbe your bestfriend and love you more than you love urself.
Cats can understand humann feelings, if their master is feeling sad or not.
Elephants are the only animal that shed tears.

This World Is Wrong . . .

They do feel emotions, they are not just "things" that moves ......They have the same basic emotions as young human infants.
I believe in the Darwinian theory, so i consider every animal to be a distant ancestor and that we are ourselves animals .
And i agree with the Jains ..to do harm to other animals is actually commiting a crime .

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

Yes! they feel emotions
Recently a female dog near our street gave birth to few puppies, they all play with each other and when their mother comes they ran and jump on her as a human child does when he see his mother.
Even small fishes can feel emotions and can recognize us.Six months ago my female molly fish gave birth to small fry (baby fishes), I keep the babies in a separate tank to keep them safe from powerful filter, when ever I can gave them food they even touches my finger tips and at first when I came near to tank they run form here to there but now they recognize me and I can even touch them without any bother like they can understand my emotions.
I once had a goldfish who is my best friend, she don't even afraid of me and I can even bring her out of fish tank barehanded (though it's not a good thing to touch fishes with hand) but when ever I came near to fish tank she swim here and there with joy but sadly she died due to a fatal fish disease, which makes me and my mother very sad.And fishes like betta and Angelfish are territorial fishes that can kill kill their own breed if they come in their territory, many male fishes swim in a unique way to attract females before mating and breeding.
Now come to higher animals like dogs, my uncle have a dog and my cousin is Shiro's (dog's name) best friend, my cousin always play with him and my cousin is only of 6 years even I'm afraid of Shiro as he bark when he sees a stranger but whenever we visit our uncle's place we jump at my brother and at me with a joy and he even lick my cousin.XD
Many birds like peacock did a special dance to impress peahens, I saw many times that dance.
Elephants are also capable of feelings emotions as they travel in a group as keep their child safe and can attack other animals if they to hunt baby elephants.

Anyway, what does mad mean exactly? Aren't we all a little mad?
Don't we have to be somewhat mad just to go on living, to go on hoping?
Signature Image

page 1 of 1 23 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.