Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 How do you clean your scans? - Minitokyo

How do you clean your scans?

page 1 of 1 7 total items

MichaWha

MichaWha

Gunslinger

Hi all!
I'm happy to share my scans as much as I can, but every time I scan something, I'm disappointed when I look at it in full size because of this : http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/212/e/c/scan_by_michawha-d7t1ll4.jpg
Okay here it's zoomed in, but it still looks bad in real size, because the original print was.... a print, not much can be done about that.
I was looking for a quick technique to clean that in Photoshop, something like a blur... but couldn't find something satisfying, so here's my question: how do you clean your scans?

Thanks in advance!

"I go where I please and I please where I go"

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Old thread, but this may help somewhat.

If you use Photoshop, you can try the Sponge Tool in Desaturate mode. Yes, it's manual work, but I've found it useful when cleaning scans.

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

Since that's zoomed in and it's what usually happens when you scan something like a print, it really can't be avoided. As long as the scan looks decent in normal size (its full size without any zoom), it's fine - that is - as long as the scanned things/characters are visible and discernible enough. I usually use Gaussian Blur up to 0.2 to smooth those lines a bit but that's about it. It's more work actually properly leveling and adjusting colors, blacks and whites and fixing parts that are either too dusty or faded than worrying about scan lines. :D

Signature

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

You're 6 weeks late.
F for punctuality.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

MichaWha

MichaWha

Gunslinger

Hahah yeah 6 weeks, I was starting to give up :P
Thanks for the replies, even if there's no actual solution. Sure, a scan is okay as long as it looks good in normal size, but I like to look at picture in original size and most of the biggest scans on MT are very clean, so how do people do that?

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

Quote by MichaWhaHahah yeah 6 weeks, I was starting to give up :P
Thanks for the replies, even if there's no actual solution. Sure, a scan is okay as long as it looks good in normal size, but I like to look at picture in original size and most of the biggest scans on MT are very clean, so how do people do that?

Well, 'original size' is what I meant when I said 'normal size'. MT allows for a zoomed out version (the one that fits your screen better) and the full view size which is a scan at 100%. It doesn't get bigger than that unless you download the scan and manually zoom in even more.

I'm not a scanner or a Scan Mod so perhaps you could ask one of them, but I deal with a lot of scans and cleaning them and a lot also depends on what kind of scanner you have, at what settings you scan your images, at what DPI etc. Of course, a lot also depends on the quality and texture of the scanned paper/images like, for example, these two scans: one and two. They're both bigger scans but when you zoom in, scan lines and patterns differ on them. Or these, too: three and four. Number 4 was scanned by a friend of mine who got the scan from a magazine (mag scans/paper is usually of a lesser quality than a volume, too!) and the lines are still quite visible despite my best efforts to make them smoother and less prominent. Still, Zero's face and all the details are still visible and discernible enough and that's what matters. You can see those scan lines/patterns there as much as you can see them on your scans but as long as there are no jagged/enlarged lines or exceptionally blurry and pixelated parts, the scan is acceptable quality-wise.

Signature

MichaWha

MichaWha

Gunslinger

Thanks for the reply Alenas. As you say, I guess it depends on the scanner, mine's getting old. I can scan at 600dpi but I'm not really satisfied by the quality.

The scan of "Dogs" is of amazing quality!

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.