Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Halp! Abstract/dark/vector wallpaper - Minitokyo

Halp! Abstract/dark/vector wallpaper

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 9 total items

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

So I've been working on this for about...3 years. Yeah, I'm that lazy. The vector's coming along fine and dandy but I'm stumped on what to do with the background. I initially wanted him rising out of water but that's kinda out of my skill level.

This is where I'm currently at.
Ignore the pointiness/weird shape of the flames; those were madly scribbled with the Freeform Pen Tool as reference. I'll smooth them out.
Of course, the original res is much higher than this. This is like 40% of the size I'm working on. Lemme know if you need a bigger version.
Yes, the hand will be done in excruciating detail.

Manga page: started from the bottom now I'm here.

Question time!
- should I get rid of the blue tips of the flames?
- do I need to add anything on the left? it feels empty.
- if yes, wat?
- is the fadeout effect good? better alternatives?
- texture or leave it smooth?

HALP.

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

No idea about your thoughts but some pretty good walls have a blank side at the left or right, could be because practically everyone's desktop icons are in either corner. I have a few walls that either have a bar or a section for icon dumps. Would want to do something about the blue tips imo, something about the entire orange/blue/green/yellow doesn't sit right with me.
Fadeout would be good if you can replicate some kind of smoke? unless you want to leave it in black/darkness.

That's all I have atm.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Hmm, I was thinking about leaving the left side empty. It looks slightly imbalanced to me, but maybe it's a matter of getting used to the overall look.

Smoke sounds interesting. I've never tried vectoring realistic smoke before, but it'll definitely be a challenge. Thanks :)

elisadevelon

Retired Moderator

elisadevelon

The purple vamp

1. I agree with Darthas about the blue tips. I would only use shades of yellow, orange, red, brown and claret probably.
2. Change the fade out effect and use some grunge brush for the eraser tool and erase parts of the lineart to get a kind of "burned" lineart? You know, like when paper burns and the fire leaves these torn edges.
3. If you want to create the feel of fire and heat, add something like dust particle brushes around the flames to make the little glowing particles/sparks, which always fly around flames. And the smoke is a great idea, too. You don't have to vector it, you can use brushes for that as well.
4. I don't know how I would fill the empty space but I think that if you add something around the fire, play with some outer glow effects, etc. you can draw enough attention to the flames. (Or you can make the particles "fly away" from the fire into the upper left corner or something.)

Spoiler (show)

For a moment I thought the text is an unfinished caption lol.

LuluOokami

LuluOokami

Sir Lulu

My thoughts and I hope they help are to remove the blue tips and as to the left side it does feel it needs something just not sure what just something to give a feeling of balance if nothing else some words.

Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution"

Angi

Retired Moderator

Angi

But it is not this day!

Dunno what program you're using, but some smoke would help, here is a tutorial for vectoring smoke in AI, you can easily copy-paste it to PS, or export it as a clear png :3

Signature Image
This day we fight!

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

OK, I've been working diligently on it and came up with this. Can't decide whether to keep the face outline or not, I like how both look :/
Version 1, with face outline
Version 2, without face outline

Added some embers, red spots and subtle text.

Opinions?

ETA: tried adding smoke and that didn't turn out right, won't post the shame here.

elisadevelon

Retired Moderator

elisadevelon

The purple vamp

Nice improvement. The wall doesn't look so empty now and the flames are now definitely better as well. I'd keep the outline there; without it, it looks like it's missing. And I'd still add more sparks around. I think you're on a good way.

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Thanks! I'm not sure about adding more embers though, they look kind of out of place to me...

Edit: submitted it! Thanks, everyone, for your advice <3

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.