Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Knockout 2014 Round 2: Looking Forward, Looking Back - Minitokyo

Knockout 2014 Round 2: Looking Forward, Looking Back

page 1 of 1 20 total items

Mt-Maigetsu

Administrator

Mt-Maigetsu

Fillling you in on the latest.

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab98/MT-Maigetsu/MT%2010th%20Anniversary/MTKO2014_R2header.png

Woo, Mai-chan is so excited! Welcome, everyone, to the second round of the Minitokyo Knockout 2014! Round 1 brought back that awesome retro feel of blended scans and textures, and now it’s time for something a bit...different.
But first, let’s see who will be competing against whom!

Pair 1: lisz vs. Deto15
Pair 2: DOOOODY vs. Meronheddo
Group 3*: pamkips vs. Painter vs. elisadevelon

* the first two contestants with the highest scores will be chosen from this group.

----------------------------

>> Theme of the round: “Looking Forward, Looking Back” <<

This round is focused on evolution. Or not. Either way, it’s heavily based on interpretation!~
You can choose a literal interpretation (e.g. a character looking in front of them and one looking back) or a figurative one (e.g. a comparison between past and future), or even combine them! You can make it about you, or something else entirely. It’s all up to you and how you decide to spin it!

Mai-chan will tell you a secret: the most creative interpretations have the best chance of getting the highest scores ^.~

Rules

+ All the general rules from the first announcement apply, as do the ones listed in the MT Policy.

+ The only round requirement is this: you must include something to allude to both the "forward" and "back" aspects~ How you do it, it's up to you!

+ No restrictions on the style or subject of the wall: you can wall whatever series/game you want, however you want!

+ You must send your entries via PM to Mai-chan, without a signature or description! Make sure to specify the subject as “Knockout Round 2 entry”.

+ The minimum resolutions you can submit your entry in are 1600 x 1200 (regular), 1920 x 1080 (HD) and 1920 x 1200 (widescreen). Of course, you can submit higher resolutions if you want to (see the list of accepted resolutions). You don’t need to send us all three resolutions, just the one you’d like to enter :)

+ Don’t post your wallpaper (with or without your signature) anywhere else on the Internet until after the round is over i.e. the results are announced!

+ You may request help! PM Mai-chan with the subject “Round 2 Help!” and she will ask one of our lovely helpers to lend you a hand~ This is totally secret, though!

Questions & Answers

Btw, kinda weird that we can't include description. That forces people to be literal or risk not being understood well enough.
If you think your idea is that vague, you can include a line about what you were trying to do. However, do keep in mind that the point is letting your work speak for itself~

The deadline for sending in entries is Saturday, the 20th of September 2014!

However, the round will be over sooner if everyone sends in their entries by then :)

Good luck, minna! <3

Signature
	Image(The Policy) A must read! (The Userguide) For day to day living!
(Forum guidelines) Keeping it clean! (Common problems and their solutions) Got you covered!
Visit HeadQuarters for more juicy goodness or contact your nearest friendly moderator.

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

"Fate, up against your will."

Oh my, what an interesting concept for this round. Me gusta. I can't wait to see the wallpapers that come out of this.

“I didn’t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.” —Mark Twain
“There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure.” —Jack E. Leonard
Good Links: Tagging Guide || FAQ || Policy || "No Pixiv Allowed" || "If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son..."

Looking forward to it :O

Btw, kinda weird that we can't include description. That forces people to be literal or risk not being understood well enough.

Signature Image

Mayuuki

Linguistics

Mayuuki

(ノ^ヮ^)ノ*:・゚✧

Really interesting theme, I'm curious to see what the contestants will come with. :3

Good luck! ~ ☆*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*☆

linguistics-teamtag-liciousvampire-knight

Meronheddo

Meronheddo

SCRIBBLER AT LARGE!

Oh wow this sounds so interesting! :D

Just keep scribbling, scribbling and a wee bit more scribbling :D

Mt-Maigetsu

Administrator

Mt-Maigetsu

Quote by Deto15Looking forward to it :O

Mai-chan sees what you did there ^_~

If you think your idea is that vague, you can include a line about what you were trying to do. However, do keep in mind that the point is letting your work speak for itself~

Signature
(Forum guidelines) Keeping it clean! (Common problems and their solutions) Got you covered!
Visit HeadQuarters for more juicy goodness or contact your nearest friendly moderator.

pamkips

pamkips

?????

Can't wait to see what everyone does, good luck everyone!

idek.
Signature ImageEDD!

elisadevelon

Retired Moderator

elisadevelon

The purple vamp

Can one of the characters be a bit ghostly? I mean, be a bit transparent like (s)he is just an imagination or something like that? I know you don't like "ghosting" here so I'm asking to make sure. I want the character to be in the foreground and put part of the focus on them, too, so they won't be there just to fill in some blank space.

I also thought about this:

Quote by Deto15Btw, kinda weird that we can't include description. That forces people to be literal or risk not being understood well enough.

How about incorporating a line or two with a bit of explanation in the wall itself (you know, kind of like some people do it with the title such as here). Or maybe you'll hide it somewhere else.

Mt-Maigetsu

Administrator

Mt-Maigetsu

Quote by elisadevelonCan one of the characters be a bit ghostly? I mean, be a bit transparent like (s)he is just an imagination or something like that? I know you don't like "ghosting" here so I'm asking to make sure. I want the character to be in the foreground and put part of the focus on them, too, so they won't be there just to fill in some blank space.

I also thought about this:

Quote by Deto15Btw, kinda weird that we can't include description. That forces people to be literal or risk not being understood well enough.

How about incorporating a line or two with a bit of explanation in the wall itself (you know, kind of like some people do it with the title such as here). Or maybe you'll hide it somewhere else.

Ghosting is perfectly OK if done right (not for filling up space or without any purpose). Your idea sounds good :)
And you can include whatever text you want in the wall itself, there are no restrictions on that~ You can even fill up the entire canvas with text if you want.

Signature

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

Huehue...Val is happy to see great walls in round 1..Val can not wait to see more from round 2. Truly delicious seeing so many high quality stuff and Val is happy to see Mai-chan back in action :3

These beautiful, fragile days are reborn, unfaded
Signature

Quote: How about incorporating a line or two with a bit of explanation in the wall itself (you know, kind of like some people do it with the title such as here). Or maybe you'll hide it somewhere else.

Yeah, that's always an option too. I've done it a while ago in other contest too where description was not allowed, had a text based wall. But I also remember doing wallpaper for different contest where I tried to interpret theme in deeper way which I felt required explanation to appreciate. That's why it got my attention when I noticed that part of rules in such theme. Also you know, there's always chance a judge haven't watched anime you're walling, which might be a bummer.

But it's all good, maybe there'll be no need for it, but if we are allowed to include few words just in case, there's no problem. :)

Still haven't decided what to wall and clock is ticking D:

Signature Image

elisadevelon

Retired Moderator

elisadevelon

The purple vamp

Quote by Deto15Yeah, that's always an option too. I've done it a while ago in other contest too where description was not allowed, had a text based wall. But I also remember doing wallpaper for different contest where I tried to interpret theme in deeper way which I felt required explanation to appreciate. That's why it got my attention when I noticed that part of rules in such theme. Also you know, there's always chance a judge haven't watched anime you're walling, which might be a bummer.

But it's all good, maybe there'll be no need for it, but if we are allowed to include few words just in case, there's no problem. :)

Still haven't decided what to wall and clock is ticking D:

I think there's too much text in the Death Note wall or at least it catches my attention too much. (I'm not such a big fan of typography walls.) In regard to the FMA wall, I think the idea is quite well understandable, especially when I read the title. It's pretty deep, too. I'm sure that if you could come up with this, you'll find something for the 2nd round as well. :)

Yep, I was considering that about judges not having seen the series I choose but I guess that I still cannot come up with anything better than the text in the wall even though I don't like it too much.

Hmm, the additional explanation is the last resort for me. I feel like things should be as clear and understandable as possible and put in the wall alone. :/ I don't know.

Mt-Maigetsu

Administrator

Mt-Maigetsu

Minna, again, you can include as much or as little text in your wallpaper as you want~ You can include a title, a subtitle, even fill the entire wall with explanatory text if you want. There is no restriction on techniques this round, only on following the theme ^_^

If you think the idea of your wall can't be "guessed" right away (for example, it ties in with a specific part of an obscure anime), then you can include a small description - but ONLY about explaining the idea behind what you did, not anything else (like how you made a certain part, resources you used etc.)

Signature

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

Hau ~ I have a tip for you all after taking a closer look at all the entries of round 1. One thing really stood out for me on atleast half the entries.

Beware of Jaggies!

They're evil, they make every outline look choppy and yet...quite a lot of the participants did not remove or avoid them in the previous round. They usually come from using many filters, but they also come from many other ways (don't forget to smoothen edges of extracted images).

Before saying your wallpaper is good to go, check the edges and outlines on 100% and see if you see jaggies. When they are there, just simply blur the edges a little (not too much, it will look blurry then).

Even if it may be too late for round one and retro walling, hope it is of some help since not everyone paints/vectors or still have jaggies :3

Overal, it makes your wallpapaper more like a complete piece if you do this right. A bit of blur on very sharp images won't hurt.

I wish all of you the best of luck :3

Signature

elisadevelon

Retired Moderator

elisadevelon

The purple vamp

Umm, are we still waiting for someone or is the judging in progress already? I don't mean to sress anyone out, I'm just asking because I'm curious. And hyped. And can't wait to see both the entries and the results. Like always, after all, so please don't mind me too much.

Maybe we were abandoned. Let's just give each other winner badges and call it a day.
Happy MT 10th anniversary! D:

Signature Image

Angi

Retired Moderator

Angi

But it is not this day!

Not abandoned at all x.x
Results will be out sooner than you imagine xD

Signature Image
This day we fight!

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Everyone, hang tight! Judging is almost done :) There've been some very interesting results this round~

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

I can't wait for essay-like comments we're gonna get, so excited!
I mean, it does apparently takes 2 days to judge a single wall so it gotta amount to something right :P

Signature Image

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

We're using a new marketing strategy called; "No one gets to see the results". This way everyone will start getting more curious and excited and we will have more viewers. R.I.P Cartmanland. Just wait and see...a Mai-chan will pop up soon using her magic to bring us to ponyland, so we can all be happy.

@Deto: Properly judging walls is pretty tiring (takes some time and patience, sometimes I ain't even in the mood to do it). I do it regularly on the gallery and still leave out a whole lot.

Signature

page 1 of 1 20 total items

Back to News | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.