Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Edited Scans - Minitokyo

Tagged under Eden Eternal

page 1 of 1 8 total items

I hope this is the right place for something like this. I just want to know what everyone else thinks. About a day or two ago I posted two new Tokyo Ghoul scans from Otomedia and Pash. I also posted these scans on my Tumblr account. The day after posting them I noticed that another user on Tumblr edited the scans slightly (one is just rotated 90 degrees, while the other is just cropped in half) and put their watermark on it. What I found the most grating was the tag #mine added to the post. Not to mention that the post was added a day after mine and has more then double the amount of notes (one post has 666 notes and the other has 263 notes. My original single post has 49 notes). And of course there is no credit to the original scanner anywhere. Only a vague tag #!EDITTOKYO, implying that they got it off of Minitokyo.

Now, I have seen my scans pop up around the net before and I really don't care about it because the posters are not trying to pass them off as their's. But this enraged me so much just by the mere presentation and the fact that other users think this is a thousand times better then the original scans. I made a few posts basically venting about this on Tumblr, but nobody really cares. I know it's not like stolen artwork or anything, but I'm not popular and I only have a few things I enjoy doing that I can share with others and I feel so happy when people tell me 'we appreciate your scans', but this just feels like a giant middle finger. Like I'm an idiot for thinking that I'm allowed to feel proud at all. Do you guy's think I have any right to be upset or is it okay that I feel shit on? I know that the other user is within their rights to do whatever they want with the scans, but am I just being selfish?

(I won't post links unless somebody asks to see them since I don't want to get in trouble)

elisadevelon

Retired Moderator

elisadevelon

The purple vamp

You are definitely not being selfish. You dedicated your time (and probably money as well) to getting the artworks and scanning them. Therefore, I think you have an absolute right to be upset, angry or discouraged. I can tell you it's the same with wallpapers. Usually, I don't care that much if people repost them to other sites (especially wallpaper websites) but if someone crops my signature, claims the walls as their own or even dares use them to make profit (I saw a bag with one of my walls printed on it at a local convention), then I'm totally enraged. In such cases, I do try to contact the person if I have the possibility and ask them to delete the image(s) from their website/gallery.

Quote by elisadevelonYou are definitely not being selfish. You dedicated your time (and probably money as well) to getting the artworks and scanning them. Therefore, I think you have an absolute right to be upset, angry or discouraged. I can tell you it's the same with wallpapers. Usually, I don't care that much if people repost them to other sites (especially wallpaper websites) but if someone crops my signature, claims the walls as their own or even dares use them to make profit (I saw a bag with one of my walls printed on it at a local convention), then I'm totally enraged. In such cases, I do try to contact the person if I have the possibility and ask them to delete the image(s) from their website/gallery.

I am so happy to hear that! I was scared to look back at this thread because I was worried that everyone would say I was being over sensitive! I feel better just discussing it with someone who understands.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

have you tried reporting them to the moderators of said site? sometimes when one reports them they are sometimes dealt with. just have to provide them with sources and then wait patiently. I don't know about some sites, but self scanned is still self scanned. same with other artwork of drawings, poems, fanfics and so forth. that's the pros and cons of sharing your things online, people sometimes up and run with your stuff as their own.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

Quote by angelxxuanhave you tried reporting them to the moderators of said site? sometimes when one reports them they are sometimes dealt with. just have to provide them with sources and then wait patiently. I don't know about some sites, but self scanned is still self scanned. same with other artwork of drawings, poems, fanfics and so forth. that's the pros and cons of sharing your things online, people sometimes up and run with your stuff as their own.

I have a feeling that nothing will be done, but I suppose it's worth a shot.

merged: 10-05-2014 ~ 06:03pm
Tumblr just kicked back a DMCA form so, no luck T_T Whats funny, is that I realize that this guy took a whole bunch of Tokyo Ghoul scans from Minitokyo (including a couple more of mine) and edited them slightly while adding their watermark. Here's their *ahem* Tokyo Ghoul gallery.
http://oniisann.tumblr.com/tagged/%21edittokyo

Don't you just LOVE that #mine tag?

Steffi1690

Moderator, Scanner

Steffi1690

~Living in my Dreamworld~

I totally understand you! And it's worming me too when I see my self scanned scans floating around on other sites (which weren't uploaded by me)! Aaargh!

Well it surely is worth a try to conduct the mods of those sites but I guess you will have to wait verryy long until something is done...

I just joined. I finally started providing my own scans on my tumblr, since I have tons of magazines from the 80s and 90s. My very first scan I posted on my tumblr was taken, edited by adding an overlay, removed the watermark and tagged as their edit. No credit was given. They had nearly 900 more likes and reblogs than my original scan. It was hard to accept. But in the end I didn't feel like there was much I could do. I contacted them to at least give me credit but it's been a month with no response. I feel even the scan doesn't really belong to me because it's the artist and the magazine that deserves the credit, eventhough a part of me is upset because I bought it to share, and took my time to provide it.

Quote by kappachaI just joined. I finally started providing my own scans on my tumblr, since I have tons of magazines from the 80s and 90s. My very first scan I posted on my tumblr was taken, edited by adding an overlay, removed the watermark and tagged as their edit. No credit was given. They had nearly 900 more likes and reblogs than my original scan. It was hard to accept. But in the end I didn't feel like there was much I could do. I contacted them to at least give me credit but it's been a month with no response. I feel even the scan doesn't really belong to me because it's the artist and the magazine that deserves the credit, eventhough a part of me is upset because I bought it to share, and took my time to provide it.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I'll never understand why those two second edits get so many notes. Whats ironic is that people on Tumblr are usually complaining about people sharing fan art without sourcing it and even if it's sourced, they complain that they did not ask for direct permission. I want back through my old Tumblr posts and deleted all of my (except for the manga pages) scans. Recently someone showed two of my scans on Twitter while simultaneously complain about how bad the quality was. There is nothing we can do, but I do think it helps talking about it here. At least here, we get the credit that we have earned rightfully.

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.