Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Holiday Foods - Minitokyo

Holiday Foods

page 1 of 1 8 total items

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

What are some foods that you only get to eat around holidays?

One of my favorites is ambrosia. My aunt used the make the BEST, though my mom makes a passable variation of it. For those of you unaware, ambrosia is yummy melted marshmallow+fruit cocktail goodness... I can't even describe it. It sounds so simple to make, but I have yet to perfect it.

Another one is Ozoni, which is a traditional Japanese mochi soup eaten at New Year's. Ooey, gooey mochi in a bonito stock with taro and daikon radish... serious comfort food right there!

Signature Image

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

My mom makes this sugar-based cookies. They're flat cookies and in various holiday shapes (Star, Candy Cane, Gingerbread Man) and frosts them in various designs and styles.

I could eat a mountain of these things and never get sick of them. It is probably the biggest thing I look forward to each and every year above all else.

Signature Image

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

I'm a sucker for cooking and, sure you can eat this item every day of the year, but this is the time of the year I spurge a tiny bit with pumpkin pie, pecan pie and some yummy eggnog. sadly I can't make the eggnog from scratch, tried and failed, but a home made pecan pie is yay ! and as it's cheaper and easier on time to also buy a pumpkin, I use to make one from scratch as well. but a store bought pecan doesn't taste the same. the pain of cracking the nuts you get from family members and make some pies was a holiday tradition of mine, something me and mom settled in to do.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

ndox900

ndox900

ndeso forever ^_^

for me is Ketupat with spicy Sayur Lodeh i dont what you call this in English "Sayur Lodeh" , you can eat it some in restaurant but it taste much much better on Lebaran especially when you make your own Ketupat ^^

hmm... i'm sleepy Signature Image

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

This year is a total mystery what I'll have for christmas as it ain't my mother and me doing the cooking. I'm curious ~ (first christmas being actually at bf).

Either way, during holidays and especially winter days and on December 5th, I get fat from having hot chocolate milk with whipped cream.

For Christmas...it depends on what we eat. Usually it is quite luxurious, rich and rare to eat but it differs aswell. My tummy is always ready for Satay/Saté with peanutsauce and lots of other stuff. This year not for me to choose, but there is a good mumzie cook on the other side aswell ~

In NL, we always have dutch donuts (wiki says it) for New Year with powder sugar. They are amazing when still warm and a bit gooey inside. Once they are cold, they tend to taste like dry bread/dough. Mumzie also always makes a salad for all to take (love) lots of snacks, special drinks (love) and all.

These beautiful, fragile days are reborn, unfaded
Signature

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Quote by angelxxuanthis is the time of the year I spurge a tiny bit with pumpkin pie, pecan pie and some yummy eggnog

I've never had eggnog or pecan pie before, what to they taste like? :o

Quote by ndox900for me is Ketupat with spicy Sayur Lodeh i dont what you call this in English "Sayur Lodeh" , you can eat it some in restaurant but it taste much much better on Lebaran especially when you make your own Ketupat ^^

Wow, Ketupat looks difficult to prepare, but it also looks delicious *q*

These are some of the dishes that people usually prepare here, with recipes! Yay! :D

Boeuf salad - this typically isn't eaten too often and the portions aren't too big, because of the high amount of mayonnaise which can make you sick. Though I admit I haven't tried one with hot dogs, like the recipe states! It's mostly sweet thanks to the mayo, and the kapia pepper (the red ones used as decorations) gives it a somewhat "prickly" taste.

Piftie (EN: "aspic") - as you can see, it uses pig feet primarily but can also include parts of the head, ears etc., or beef instead of pork. Basically, you have the meat surrounded by this gelatinous mass. It has a "slippery" texture and tastes salty. And it has a lot of garlic *q*

Sarmale (EN: minced meat and pickled cabbage rolls) - thanks to the pickled cabbage, this dish tastes sour. The meat is typically "padded" with rice because it's tasty, but also because minced meat tends to be on the expensive side, especially around holidays. Then it's rolled into small balls, which are used to stuff the cabbage leaves arranged in the shape of a cylinder. Scatter a few black peppercorns (if I got it correctly, these are pepper balls) and bay leaves in the pot for extra seasoning!
I should note that Vegeta is a kind of condiment mix in granular form, used to add a bit of extra taste to dishes. My family doesn't use it too much, and never in sarmale.

You should eat all the above with bread to avoid the taste being too overwhelming. But you can eat them plain if you're feeling brave, lol.

As far as drinks go, there's "ţuică" (a close equivalent in English would be "moonshine", I guess; it's made from fermented plums) and alcoholic drinks made from other fermented fruit such as sour cherries, strawberries, apricots, grapes etc. You name it, it probably exists as a drink XD

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

Angi

Retired Moderator

Angi

But it is not this day!

Sugar cookies
Chocolate&rum flan (at least in my house, this is traditional x.x)
Eggnog
Tamales: I know you know them :P but if not, is a masehd corn paste stuffed with chicken or pork, potatoes, peas, olives, raisins, potato, boiled inside banana plant leaves.
Roasted pork, chicken or turkey is common here, acompanied with wild rice and mashed potatoes. Not in my case since I change the menu every year x.x I only keep the cookies and flan every year, this time will be french food, so there'll be coq au vin with garlic mashed potates, ratatouille, eclairs... x.x

Signature Image
This day we fight!

Cirru

Cirru

Interstellar Force

Eggnog/Silk Nog... <3

Pumpkin Pie <3 <3

Homemade fudge by my step-grandmother is beyond words.

"In NL, we always have dutch donuts (wiki says it) for New Year with powder sugar. They are amazing when still warm and a bit gooey inside. Once they are cold, they tend to taste like dry bread/dough. Mumzie also always makes a salad for all to take (love) lots of snacks, special drinks (love) and all."
Valuna... this sounds absolutely fantastic.

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to Shopping & Food | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.