Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Yuki cross Vector - Minitokyo

Yuki cross Vector

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 12 total items

FadingLights2015

FadingLights2015

♫YukiClan♫

Hi,
i recently bought the photoshop i don't know how to use it correctly..
i used photoshop cs2.

time: 3 days

i used this capture http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/The-Princess-Yuuki/media/OP_zps9bc26d4a.jpg.html
i made the background by myself.
i need to know if there's something that i have to correct or anything wrong in the art.

thank you.

"It's my duty as a guardian to protect Cross Academy, day and night."
-Yuki KuranSignature Image

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Is this the vector you're referring to?
What tools did you use to make it?

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

elisadevelon

Retired Moderator

elisadevelon

The purple vamp

Quote by pandemonium91Is this the vector you're referring to?
What tools did you use to make it?

That's clearly a screenshot. The vector is probably supposed to be the image next to it, HERE? But if so, I must say it definitely does not look vectored. If nothing else, the lineart is done with brushes.

Fading Lights, could you please link us to the vector you're talking about so that we can be sure if it's the one I found and try to help you?

FadingLights2015

FadingLights2015

♫YukiClan♫

Ops, i didn't link the vector XD
Here's the link..Here

Ok , to start with ... i used the pin and drew over the capture (i'm not expert at photoshop so i guess it's called vector) or something like that ...
as you can see the capture , the colors are faded so i colored it , and right there in her dress i used pattren to add an extra look , then i created the background and added butterflies did an outerglow on them , Her eyes were the hardest part i used a shape on them then completed it with the pin tool ...
and finished it with a fillter (some extra light or something...)

i apologize about the earlier post , it's kinda amusing that i forgot to link the vector (or at least i think it's a vector)

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Alright, time for some explaining.

I asked what tools you used because you need one category of tools in vectoring: tools that allow you to create shape layers. Using anything else results in you working with raster layers. What's the difference between them? Well, take your PSD file and enlarge it to 300% (Image -> Image Size). Is it clear or blurry? If it's clear, you're working with shape layers. If it's blurry, you're working with raster layers. Another difference is in file size: an image composed of shape layers will be significantly smaller in size than one that is made up of or features raster layers.
In the PS layer palette, raster layers will look like a square with a paintbrush in the middle and shape layers will look like a square filled with the color of the shape layer.

A proper vector is composed of shape layers, its main quality being that you can enlarge/scale down the source file (PSD in this case) however you want and it will not lose its crisp, clean quality. Here is an example of a vector without any raster layers. (2MB; PSD is mine). Download it, open it up in PS and enlarge it to 200%. Then scale it down to 30%. Then enlarge it to 400% again.
To further illustrate this point, this vector also featured raster layers (you can see the version with raster layers here). The PSD of the version with only shape layers is 1.8 MB, while the PSD of the version containing raster layers is a whopping 32 MB (I can link to it as well if you want).

Here are some helpful links
Difference between vector and raster graphics
The difference between vector and raster images (with example image)
Nysha's Ultimate Vectoring Guide - this gets linked to a lot and for good reason. It's straight to the point and explains the basics in a way that is friendly to beginners.
13 Tips on Vectoring

Now for more questions:
You used the Pen Tool? That is, the one that looks like the tip of a fountain pen?
If so, did you make sure to select the Shapes option and not the Paths one? Quickest way to tell if you're working with shapes is that the area between the anchor points will begin to fill up while you create the points.
I'm asking about the Pen Tool because your image looks like it was done using the Brush Tool.

I'll make more observations after you reply to these. Btw, if you have any questions about anything I wrote here, ask away~

FadingLights2015

FadingLights2015

♫YukiClan♫

Ok,i get it now..
there's many ways to make a vector..
about my image yeah i used the pen tool,when i finished it i added a filter on it.
but i read somewhere that making vector need "adobe illustrator"
so my image is called graphic..am i right?

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Quote by FadingLights2015but i read somewhere that making vector need "adobe illustrator"
so my image is called graphic..am i right?

No, any program that can handle working with shapes is good for vectoring. You hear about Illustrator often because it's designed specifically for vectoring, while Photoshop is a kind of mish-mash for everything (painting, vectoring, photo editing etc.).
To create vector images in Photoshop, you need to use the Shapes option on the Pen Tool. Nysha explains this very well in the tutorial I linked to above.

Not sure what you mean by "graphic". All images in the Minitokyo gallery are rasters, if that's what you're asking. See the Wikipedia page for a more in-depth explanation.

As a note, your image isn't good enough to be accepted in the gallery yet, because of various reasons:
- it has poor composition, so it cannot be submitted to the wallpaper gallery;
- it's not a usable vector, so it can't be submitted as a vector either;
- it looks blocky. Play around with anchor points and curves, but don't overuse them. Using too many anchor points will make your vector blocky and full of wobbly lines (like it is now).

Advice:
- use more degrees of shading, not just one layer of darker brown.
- use sharp points. See the tips of her hair? Why do they look flat and blocky? They're supposed to be sharp.
- use outlines inside of the hair as well, you avoid having it look like a brown lump this way.
- remove the wood texture.

Honestly, instead of improving on this work, I suggest taking up an easier image until you get used to the program. Maybe a higher quality scan or at least a normally-colored screenshot.

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

Panda, u so good huehuehue.

Anyway, it's exactly as she says. I always tell people to start on vectoring chibis because they are very simple (I don't know if it works, honestly but they are as simple as art can be and cute, so just my personal opinion from my own experiences). I do say the same for normal drawings. In a way, it is similair or about the same amount than a head but much less complex and much less to worry about. Not to mention, you can get used to "playing around" to develop your own style. It is also really hard to fail at chibis since they are already deformed a lot.

Aside from that, it is important you work on your control of the pen tool. If you can or have illustrato r(it is not a must, personally it is really easy/simple to vector with) I personally suggest using it or atleast try to and see which you are more comfy with. It really makes a lot more sense to use the pen tool properly to the point that I never figured it out in Photoshop (I tried, didn't look up or anything, felt bad and went back to illustrator).

Anyway, make sure you can make proper lines, make every single line be the way you want. Otherwise, I say practice! It may take a while. You could even just try vectoring simple things or make simple shapes to get a hang of it. The chibis are for when you have it a bit under control.

As far as shading goes. Always go base, shadows, highlights for beginners. Once you can do this all with your pinky, then go explore and experiment in differnt styles, more shades. As a little extra for beginners on colouring. You COULD try adding a little gradient to every shape to add a little extra.

Keep the outlines one-coloured. You need perfect control of how vectoring works to get that coloured with different colours and gradients. Although, its a matter of layering properly. Personally, a frustrating job.

These beautiful, fragile days are reborn, unfaded
Signature

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

Agree with whole post of Pande and Val.

But I know you're beginner here, so I know how much troublesome it is to work, and sometimes even finding options and all in Photoshop.
As Val said you should start with chibi or smaller less complex images with "high" quality of resolutions, the screenshot you've used is small enough to spin your head while looking for the outlines in it.
If you don't want to work with chibis then I would highly recommend you practicing on pokemon scan, not complex and super hard pokemon like Giratina or any other, but small and cute one with easier design like Pikachu and others.
Here are few examples of the scan on which you can practice 669554, 373065 or 373057.
These are one of simplest scans and easy to start for a beginner.

About the lineart like how pande said, they should have sharp edges and must hair curvy lines not blocked and uneven.
here's an simple example of vector, I used the same screen shot you've used (link) (I compared it from your image)
It's not that perfect as I made it in hurry within few minutes but it is enough for you to get an idea how a vector should be.
And Honestly please use bigger sized and clear image, because the screenshot you've used is of very low quality and it can increase the pressure on eyes when you observe the image in the process of vectoring.

And I highly recommend you to read in brief the "Ultimate vector guide by Missnysha" that Pande linked above there, it covers almost everything and questions that may come in your mind while vectoring.

Anyway, what does mad mean exactly? Aren't we all a little mad?
Don't we have to be somewhat mad just to go on living, to go on hoping?
Signature Image

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Seconding Val. Get a chibi image and go crazy on it. Keep it simple at first - remember, you want to get used to how everything works before trying fancy tricks (different colored outlines, painting and so on).

As a side note to the Illustrator (AI) vs Photoshop (PS) debate, if you do decide to get Illustrator be warned that the two are slightly different. Personally, I found it easier to get used to vectoring in PS and then make the jump over to AI, but it takes some getting used to since both handle the same things differently.

One differing aspect is that while both work with layers, PS also has a Group option that acts as a folder to organize layers (for example, dumping all the different layers of shading of the hair in a group called "Hair shading"). In AI, the layers themselves act as "groups/folders", while each individual path/shape is generated as a layer.

Examples of images you can practice on: one, two, three
Monu-chan's examples are also great.

Good luck, let us know how everything's coming along~

FadingLights2015

FadingLights2015

♫YukiClan♫

thanks for the useful information panda-chan,val-chan and monu-chan!
i'll try my best :)

merged: 01-20-2015 ~ 09:35am
well, how about this?
http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/The-Princess-Yuuki/media/Iri_zpsc76ba2ac.png.html

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Sorry, your post was merged and we weren't notified about it.
Do you want to vector that image? It looks like it's already a vector to me.

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.