Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Help/Advice for improving original arts - Minitokyo

Help/Advice for improving original arts

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

Hello there!
Well, I decided to make this forum because I want to improve my original artworks.
So just now I made this two sketches
http://i.imgur.com/ViESGsk.jpg
I know this is somewhat like a game CG! but I drew it by myself, as for body position I asked my brother to be in what pose for few minutes (lol) and I also wanted to make boy below her, but then it would be too much ecchi, so I didn't draw the boy xD
I know her fingers are looking weird, as I messed up the lines.And while making the lineart, I forgot that....that girls have Breast! xD, so her chest was looking flat. Lol
and this
http://i.imgur.com/AepfmCt.jpg
I made this one while looking at my own position when I use my laptop, but here I think I drew her breast too much and her eye is also looking bit weird to me.I draw the hair random, and I don't know why I made her lips that "big". xD

Each sketch is just lineart, I didn't shaded it or done any sort of final touches.
I didn't scanned it as paper was A3 size and I don't know how to scan big size.
Did some adjustments in PS, for proper lights, as the pic was too dark.

So Minna-san Please help me to improve my art's anatomy, proportions, and my overall style.
Usually in my sketches I use scans for reference but in my original art I didn't use any sort of reference.That's why they are looking different from usual sketches that I upload here.

Thanks in Advance! :D
Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu~

Anyway, what does mad mean exactly? Aren't we all a little mad?
Don't we have to be somewhat mad just to go on living, to go on hoping?
Signature Image

Carrera-chan

Carrera-chan

!!!Ameteur artist!!!

well it usually needs practice and well just start by drawing chibis then child character then slender body figured girls with such highlights
i don't want to be mean thats how i did that wen i was at elementary i used to draw Disney princess but never was able to do so later after much practice i overcome it then at the elementary i did it much nicely
"i think i should not say that until i have uploaded my own original art but i know how it works "
actually i know because i don't have a scanner so i never post them and i have tones of original arts i wish i buy one soon but i don't know much bout them"
later at middle school i was obsessed with anime and i wanted to make them i was not bad but i started with chibi yes i remember and you should do it as well ill pm you an original art but it would be a photo image not a scanned one

working on a new wallpaperSignature Image

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

I'm gonna be honest here Monu xD

First drawing:
The position: it is good to let someone be a model for you to draw. Lots of people do this when they still have issues with anatomy. When it comes to manga, there is a big problem here. There is a NEED for improvising. The pose itself is very blank and it does not have any sex appeal. I would make it more "dramatic" looking to actually give that appeal. Her shoulders could be done better and chest...well..maybe a little instead of entirely flat. The hands will take time. You could try using your own hand as an example. I'm decent when it comes to hands. I always make a base, which is the hand without fingers, then add the fingers one by one. It gives me a logical outcome.

Hair: Not bad, not bad at all. I do think you could use "gravity" a bit more and make the hair strands look less random. It is also a bit too much for the part that goes over her shoulder.

Face: Could use quite a bit of work on a sideview (nose, mouth, forehead, chin). The eye placement seems a bit off. I think it should be more to the back. The ear...well...should be like 10x bigger and quite a bit more in the back.

Clothing: Still need a lot of work on this. "Folds" are really difficult to learn but you get to it. I think it will help if you know or have drawn your character entirely without clothing underneath (dummy). Then, you can think of how something lose or tight will look like. I'll give skirts for you. Imagine the point of gravity here. It is definitely downwards right? This meabs that cloths will fall downwards and the folds will be shown to go towards that aswell. The skirt should have a free gravity drop once it has past her butt. Her butt disables the cloth to fall down directly, so it will start falling once it's past that part or the edge (take tablecloth on a table for example). Since it is a 2D image with the imagination of a 3D one, you of course have the other buttcheek to take care of too. In the end, once you have your folds, you can connect it to to make a skirt of the desired length.

Will do the second drawing a bit later. Need a break.

These beautiful, fragile days are reborn, unfaded
Signature

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

Thank you very much Val!
It will help me a lot in next sketches, I will add my new sketches here for advice.

I will definitely try to do clothing better, I always have trouble while making clothing.And about her ear, yeah I thought that too, but the big one was looking weird.
I know her chest area, I said forget that! (Silly and dummy me).
I will try to keep all that in mind while making new sketches, Thanks and Please do a lot insult Critics on my art because it always helps me to improve them!

Waiting for advice on second one~

Signature Image

Carrera-chan

Carrera-chan

!!!Ameteur artist!!!

Okay monu this is what I made to explain you what val said sorry that I am not able to use a scanner for this… :(
http://i.imgur.com/UTuyP8n.jpg
um can val take out problems in it as well actually my sketching is also not good :(

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

Thank you very very much Carrera-chan!
Your sketch is awesome and it'll help me a lot for improving anatomy of my sketches, I always got confused about body when it comes to a girl's body.
Today I will try to sketch another one, let you guys see how much I get your points.
Again Thanks! :D

Signature Image

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

Heya, posting another one. It takes quite some time writing everything so yeah....

Second drawing:
Position: It looks good. The point of dissapearance seems to be fine and the overal body shape is fine too. I can see a really big issue here for you Monu. The hands and feet. Do not be mistaken here to make it simple. Hands and feet are complex. Imagine the bone structure of both, lots of tiny individual bones connected to the main part. I really suggest you practice on this a bit. If you can do one, the other will cause you less trouble aswell (honestly, I do have more trouble with feet than hands). Find a flow for yourself that works nicely and practice in different angles and positions. I never practiced seperately on this myself which is kind of funny. The hands definitely look better than in your first drawing though. The bones started to make more sense, although the angle is giving you trouble along with the wrist/palmbone that connects to the arm.

Hair: bangs seen fine, but it is kind of the same as the first drawing.

Face: front view is always easier than side. I barely do side myself so it usually fails for me. When it works, it is good. Your style is a bit unusual. Very shoujo-like (mine actually is too, but very much it's own). Let's go with the eyes. I am pretty sure you are aware of that eyes are supposed to be symmetrical. Not that yours aren't, but it could use a bit of work. Then, there is the eyelashes. Seems fine, try out different styles and see how you like them best yourself. Same goes for the inner part. It is a stretched circle. This is usually the case in Shoujo style, but it can differ aswell. For myself, mine are perfectly rounded for extra realism. So depending on how you want your style to be, develop from there. The eyes are a very important aspect of the face to the point of people being able to read emotions from the eyes only. Try different styles. there is always the cebtral dark dot, then in a corner a light reflection, usually a big one. From my vectoring experience...they are almost always round. Then there is a small dot on the opposite as a reflection too. You can add more depending on the emotion (crying usually gives more relections). But you got the basic down of that. The nose really needs some work. It looks like a mix of a realistic nose and anime but weirdly exdcuted. Look at different noses from different artists on MT! See if there id a favourite and try it out! Again, the mouth...very shoujo like with the lipstick l (I do the same, cuz theres lips...lol). Not bad. Leave out the lines on top of the mouth, just do the mouthline and the bottom line, then add the coloured lips. Otherwise it kind of looks weird and you are better off entirely outlining the lips, but no need for that when you have them coloured. The face shape, well done. Its perfect, but is it how you want your face shapes to look like? I personally like it more classy style to show the contours nicely.its pure love to me, so what about you?

Clohing: Those frills look decent, but you missed something. You only put the front part but you see the parts where there is something left open on the top? Imagine hoe the fabric would go. There should be a connection in the "back/behind" part too. Don't forget that. Have another look at it. I guess the rest is fine. Not much clothing to judge xD

@Carrera
Lovely detail, beautiful hair. If you were to colour it, I think pastel ones would work lovely with your art. The face seems nice, she looks like an elf tbh. Can't see if she is (sorry). Her neck seems to be on the long side, although this could be forgiven if she is an elf. According to the rules of elves, they have longer necks than humans. Many anime and such don't follow that. Her arms are good, shoulders good too. The hands, you are decent at that so the last bits to improve will come by just making new drawings. Now, to her breasts...they are good but the cloth seems a little oddly wrapped around them.

Now comes to problem what bothers me, her body posture. I see what you tried to do there, sadly, getting a more "extreme" position didn't work out well here. Her back, seems a little broken. She is turned half sideways, so you would entirely see the side of her body (hips, ribs). Instead, she has really odd roundings there that doesn't add up with the rest of the body. It really depends on the position. But if she were to stick her butt "extra" more to the back and her breasts more to the front, her overal position is a bit too stale to pull it off. A way you can do it, is if you see the bones as quite bendable, above what normal humans can do (seriously, its true). The body a bit more longer, so you actually see the lovely shape with those positions. Anyway, on to the side part, if you intend to stick out the back forward, the belly needs to stick out more too. Then you could give her a lovely meaty butt and legs to show that extra expression in her body.

For clothing, hats off. Just try adding details more. The base is great. Background. Great details. I usually don't draw backgrounds myself due to paper being small. I would honestly try to catch only a little of the background. If you do too much, it takes away the magic the grill/boy has in the drawing itself. Similair to being dressed/undressed in front of your lover. Having some covered is always more exciting/sexier because part of it is left to the imagination. So don't give away too much like a normal picture taken with a camera.

Now on to the reflection in the mirror. It is really difficult to pull off, you didn't do a bad job at it but I can tell that she looks worse than the one in the middle. Her arm looks less and somehow she seems more bulky. I suggest not going to reflections until you have a clear control of drawing a char from different angles. It's difficult, even for me. Best way to practice is with simple doodles to get a hang of it. If you really want to, go ahead but reflections tend not to be part of a drawing. You can just come and ask again when you want to give it a try.

Surely, one of your strongpoints is an elegant faces (continue on that, could be signature-ish), extremist hair (yes, go further in on that and play around) and perhaps, you could try making amazingly detailed dresses. backgrounds are great, try to lessen it to just set a "mood" to the drawing. You're quite a bit more advanced than Monu (no offense, but you need to get a bit more a hang of it and develop your own style) , so I can take out the really strong points you have. Overall, enhance those femenine thigns you draw so nicely xD

These beautiful, fragile days are reborn, unfaded
Signature

Angi

Retired Moderator

Angi

But it is not this day!

Ok, first of all, you have good bases, so improving must be easy for you, just need more practice and practice and practice.. and you'll get the deal of how to draw better. Now Val has told you in a very detailed way many useful stuff (thanks Val), So I'll just give you a bit more of support: Look on DA, google, tumblr, everywhere for poses, you'll find many, ones pretty accurate, others not that much, others will be real people (some might be nude, so you're warned xD) but poses will help you a LOT. Once you have a pose and a sketch, focus on getting the hands, feet, facial details, and clothing correct according to the pose you are using as base, for all this you can find tons of tutorials that might help you :3, remember it is not bad to look at references, you are learning, so the most you learn from them, the less you'll have to use them in the future.

I'll leave you some links that might be useful:
-Figure, hands, animals and gestures: click WARNING: might find nudes there, but they have a filter so you can hide them.
-Face tutorial: click
-Hands (lots): click You can click on the banner with the title up there to get more references. WARNING: You'll find nude poses, there is no filter. Only the hands are shown in this link.
-Feet tutorial: Click

Hope those links help :3

Signature Image
This day we fight!

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

I'll drop this here: http://forum.minitokyo.net/t74027

But yes, I would start with references like Angi suggested until you have a good grasp on how the human body moves and looks.

But both pieces show promise! I'm looking forward to seeing the updated works! :)

Signature Image

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

Thanks Minna-san~!
I will try my best! :D
I'm gonna be away from MT for a while (due to final exams) but I will be update my art when I have time! :D

@Angi: I honestly don't like nudes but for improving my art I'm willing to take a look at those too. xD

merged: 01-03-2015 ~ 05:41pm
As I promised I made another sketch today, I took a little help of reference this time for the pose.
so here it is
http://i.imgur.com/uo1edCz.jpg
How's this now? this time I used pencil as directly using pens is risky for headshot draws.
and honestly I have no idea what she is wearing, I just draw the same cloth as in the girl's wearing in reference.

Signature Image

Carrera-chan

Carrera-chan

!!!Ameteur artist!!!

um that comment of val was very helpful actually i never noticed that i draw neck a little long
sorry me

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

Today again I drew a sketch of original character.
This time I changed my drawing style into more shoujo like
http://i.imgur.com/qzKqisU.jpg
I drew the middle one and then made the close ups of some parts of bodies like eyes, face, chest, bangs.

Signature Image

@carrera-chan it's a matter of personal taste when it come to stylising character design. As long as you know the basic of anatomy, you are allowed to distort it in whatever way you see fit.

@monu you don't need practice. What you need is to get anatomy right before you start on stylising your design. There are lots of online reference site that's useful for anatomy study. For example posemaniac

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.