Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster... legitimate or parody? - Minitokyo

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster... legitimate or parody?

page 1 of 1 10 total items

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, whose followers are collectively referred to as "Pastafarians", began in 2005 largely in response to a school board decision to allow Intelligent Design to be taught in it's schools.

Read More: wiki | official site of the church

The main belief of the church is that there is no place for the teaching of intelligent design and creationism in public schools.

Note: This is NOT so much about whether you believe in ID or evolution, but whether you believe that Pastafarianism is a legitimate religion or not.

What defines religion?

Signature Image

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

thanks to some time stamp work and the likes they are now an official religion. and to me it is a religion, they believe in something, therefor it's a religion. not a bad idea for a religion, sitting around and eating pasta and talking about pasta related items, if they are happy then I say go for it.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

Taurec

Taurec

BAKA^2

If you have enough believing it .. why not?
Isn't that how it works, you claim to have faith or believe in something imaginative, provided you have enough followers (either coerced or by "free will") voila a religion is born.

- Too bad stupidity isn't painful

Airrrrrrr

Huesin

Administrator, Linguistics

Huesin

dead to everyone

lol those pastafarian guys probably drank too much or something. Probably they created their religion just to mock other religions. That's why I don't see their church as a true religion, to be honest. They believe in pasta and flying monsters, and they have a few good arguments, ok.. but a religion needs a code of conduct, needs followers, needs a lot of believable myths. Needs a theory about life and death too. They don't have any of that yet.

What really matters should be: If schools are going to teach creationism, why not teach evolutionism too? Seriously why not both. Both are just theories anyway. Schools shouldn't impose only one way of thinking on their students. Teaching students half truths is what makes students dumb and close-minded..

Signature
	ImageThere's always one who plants an evil seed and
preaches fear to pull you to the other side
Into a world of lies.

404UserNotFound

404UserNotFound

Bye Bitch

Some people would considered Elvis as a religious leader, or football as a religion. So not neccecarly does it have to have a theory for life and death, a code of conduct, or anything. all it really takes is a group of followers that are obsessed with an idea. Maybe a "place of worship" is also required.

As for creationism vs evolution I think this whole debate is a result of uneducated Chrisitians. Keep in mind that I'm also a christian, and I don't mean to insult anybody. But if we properly educated Christians on their own Holy Book they would realize that the whole story of creationism was never meant to be a historical record. Its written this way because its what appealed to its target audience. I probably should ramble tho- so long story short - EdUcAte ThEM

I'm gon' be straight with yall. I ain't coming back here.

Huesin

Administrator, Linguistics

Huesin

dead to everyone

I know, but imo, all these things I mentioned before are necessary. A church without those things is just a parody of a church. I agree with you, HatedAngel. Educate them, educate all the people.

Speaking of churchs, there's a famous voice actor, he's the voice of Goku in the latin american version of DBZ. So famous, one day some fans decided to create a church for him, and make him a god (that church is located in Venezuela iirc). Anyway, one day he was getting off the plane and some random guy dressed as a priest went and kneeled down in front of him, made the cross' sign and blessed him. The actor freaked out lol

Does that church count as a religion too? I don't think so.. I mean, people have the right to believe in whatever they want. But calling everything a church/religion because some people believe in stuff doesn't make much sense for me.

Pastafarians are supposedly on the side of science. but their myths are too fantastic. I don't like the fact that they want schools to teach only the things they believe in. They're doing the same things other close-minded religions are doing. It looks like a fun group though. Sounds fun to eat pasta and drink beer all fridays, tbh.

Signature
	ImageThere's always one who plants an evil seed and
preaches fear to pull you to the other side
Into a world of lies.

404UserNotFound

404UserNotFound

Bye Bitch

Well if you google the definition for Religion you get all sorts of them. Some of them imply that yes the church of Goku is a religion while others implied otherwise because they mention "Super being". On that matter whats the difference between cult and religion? is there one?

I personally think "The Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster" was created mostly to mock religious folk, i don't think anybody really believes in it but I could be wrong. If I'm right that would mean its just a parody.

Well the people who mostly seem to butt heads with evolutionists would be Christians (at least in America, I don't know if other countries are different in this). I don't have a problem with them teaching evolution in general, it only really annoys me when they completely try to take God out of the equation. I mean is it really necessary to even do that? Evolutionism doesn't necessarily mean there is no God

I'm gon' be straight with yall. I ain't coming back here.

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Quote by HatedAngelI don't have a problem with them teaching evolution in general, it only really annoys me when they completely try to take God out of the equation. I mean is it really necessary to even do that? Evolutionism doesn't necessarily mean there is no God

Think about what science is trying to achieve. Through constantly questioning what we know, empirical observation and rigorous peer review science pushes the boundaries of human knowledge to improve our lives and that of those who come after us. The theory of evolution does not exist to bash religion.

In some cases, those who have a problem with evolution being taught in schools are in the unfortunate position where their confidence in what they "believe" in is threatened by what other people think. That's not really faith in my opinion.

People also have a tendency to actively and irrationally reject sources of knowledge that contradict what they already "know". This is especially true of fundamentalist religious practitioners who insist on excessively literal interpretations of their holy text and find themselves in a cognitive war against the rest of the world.

Cognitive dissonance works both ways though and followers of science find themselves rejecting all notions of religion for equally ineffectually reasons, thus widening the ravine from both sides.

I agree that religion has its place and is not necessarily incompatible with science for those who are truly intelligent and open minded.

Quote by UsagixKitsuneThink about what science is trying to achieve. Through constantly questioning what we know, empirical observation and rigorous peer review science pushes the boundaries of human knowledge to improve our lives and that of those who come after us. The theory of evolution does not exist to bash religion.

In some cases, those who have a problem with evolution being taught in schools are in the unfortunate position where their confidence in what they "believe" in is threatened by what other people think. That's not really faith in my opinion.

People also have a tendency to actively and irrationally reject sources of knowledge that contradict what they already "know". This is especially true of fundamentalist religious practitioners who insist on excessively literal interpretations of their holy text and find themselves in a cognitive war against the rest of the world.

Cognitive dissonance works both ways though and followers of science find themselves rejecting all notions of religion for equally ineffectually reasons, thus widening the ravine from both sides.

I agree that religion has its place and is not necessarily incompatible with science for those who are truly intelligent and open minded.

I agree whole heartedly with what you said (i don't do that very often).

FSM started off as a parody and according to some stamped and signed papers now it is a actual religion. I'm cool with that. That's what happened with scientology too wasn't it? I do accept it as an actual religion simply because it says so on paper, but at it's core, FSM, is a parody so I don't think I can take it seriously.

I was a pastafarian for fun once. It was nothing but something to call myself as and have no significant value to me. It's pretty much the same way I feel about my "actual" religion. A thing to fill the form with. While I find the topic of religion fascinating, I couldn't care less about it.

Yes it's legitimate and yes it's a parody.

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Quote by wildroseFSM started off as a parody and according to some stamped and signed papers now it is a actual religion. I'm cool with that. That's what happened with scientology too wasn't it?

Well I think Scientology is a bit different as it has been accused of causing significant financial, mental and, in some cases physical, harm to people. If you've ever interacted with any of their followers you'll see they are deadly serious about what they believe in. As a parody or joke they're about as funny as leukaemia.

But I understand what you mean. We have these modern day religions pop up and get ratified overnight which can make it difficult to decide if they are legitimate or just dilute the concept of religion.

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.