Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 A Flurry of Deletions - Minitokyo

A Flurry of Deletions

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 11 total items

A whole cluster of my scans just got the shaft today (14 so far) and I am very confused as to why. I have reuploaded two of them in a larger resolution to see if size is the issue, but the scans were so varying in sizes and quality that I doubt that this was the problem. Please help me figure out what the issues are.

For example, these were deleted, I suspect, because of size:
Just Die
Hospital Visit
Kitty Ears
Didn't add title
Tsukiyama's Formal Invitation
It's... It's Not Like I Like Him or Anything!

The last two of which I resubmitted in a higher resolution and am currently waiting for them to get deleted. What's odd it the last one listed there is the same size as this scan which has not been deleted yet.

These may have been deleted due to poor joining of two scans (both of which were re-uploads after their predesessors were deleted)
Gotta Push Harder
Awaiting the Race

These I don't really know why were deleted other then the edges are probably too blurry:
Hey, Hot Shot!
Flagged
Dude Sleepover
Jin & Maki

But these two don't look to have any problems at all, but were deleted:
In the Face of Death, What Will You Do?
Upcoming PS Via Game

Sorry to be a pain in the butt, but I was planning on spending the day scanning and I can't very well continue if what I am currently doing is going to get the scans deleted. Please be specific as you can otherwise I will probably just keep rescanning them and reuploading.

Pinyan

Retired Moderator

Pinyan

blergh

please link the scans, not the deletion PMs next time

Lack of quality is the problem. They're all excessively compressed and hence covered in jpg artifacts. (that has often been the reason I've had to delete your scans)
If you pay attention to the outlines and black areas on especially the monochrome scans, you should see what I mean. there's distortion of pixels all over.
In addition to that, the size was the problem with scans such as this scan for example and the picture's small, sketchy and poor in details.
plus the blurryness in those in which it appears, like this one

Quote by Pinyanplease link the scans, not the deletion PMs next time

Lack of quality is the problem. They're all excessively compressed and hence covered in jpg artifacts. (that has often been the reason I've had to delete your scans)
If you pay attention to the outlines and black areas on especially the monochrome scans, you should see what I mean. there's distortion of pixels all over.
In addition to that, the size was the problem with scans such as this scan for example and the picture's small, sketchy and poor in details.
plus the blurryness in those in which it appears, like this one

Thank you so much for answering. Would you say that the artifacts appear the most in the smaller monochrome scans? I rescanned the one monochrome scan in a higher resolution and it is still standing (for now, I suppose). Is there a proffered resolution for smaller scans, or can't resolution help with jpeg artifacts? I often have a difficult time with discerning what is a jpeg artifact and what is perceived as normal for large scans (the larger the scan, the more lines seem to get less solid, but there are lots of these in the database so that must not be an artifact). People have suggested that I use GIMP to reduce jpeg artifacts, but the program looks so nebulous that I have no idea where to even begin. Is there anything I can do while scanning to reduce the jpeggers (I.E. hold the book down more tightly or remove the top from the scanner)? Please be patient with me as I do have a congenital problem with my optic nerves which makes it difficult for me to see detail, but I do my best with magnifiers. I hope this isn't too much of a bother and if it is, please tell me off gently because I will take it to heart.

Pinyan

Retired Moderator

Pinyan

blergh

Quote by SquirrelLuvsPnutThank you so much for answering. Would you say that the artifacts appear the most in the smaller monochrome scans? I rescanned the one monochrome scan in a higher resolution and it is still standing (for now, I suppose).

The artifacts are present in every scan but when there are less details and the colors are simple or monochrome, they are more prominent. especially on red surfaces.
I hadn't noticed the two scans left, sorry for the confusion.. But they weren't better than the rest.

Quote by SquirrelLuvsPnutIs there a proffered resolution for smaller scans, or can't resolution help with jpeg artifacts? I often have a difficult time with discerning what is a jpeg artifact and what is perceived as normal for large scans (the larger the scan, the more lines seem to get less solid, but there are lots of these in the database so that must not be an artifact). People have suggested that I use GIMP to reduce jpeg artifacts, but the program looks so nebulous that I have no idea where to even begin. Is there anything I can do while scanning to reduce the jpeggers (I.E. hold the book down more tightly or remove the top from the scanner)? Please be patient with me as I do have a congenital problem with my optic nerves which makes it difficult for me to see detail, but I do my best with magnifiers. I hope this isn't too much of a bother and if it is, please tell me off gently because I will take it to heart.

The size and the resolution aren't what decrease or increase the amount of compression artifacts. It's the loss of data either in the process of scanning or saving the scan. Many image editors have the option to adjust the quality when you save your project. Usually it's in the form of percentage. For example if you save the picture at 94% out of full 100, you get a worse result than you would at 100. The higher the quality the larger the filesize, although the filesize can be altered to be higher even if the picture isn't any better, which won't obviously improve the quality.

Just try to save your scans at a higher filesize and if the programs you're using allow, adjust the quality to max.
My scanner's driver allows to choose the JPEG compression before scanning and I keep it as low as possible. Check if yours can do the same.

I hope this may help you recognize what artifacts are. I scanned the same picture twice, first one is at the lowest possible compression which I always use and the second one on the right is at the "high compression" option:

Spoiler (show)

http://oi59.tinypic.com/axif0h.jpg

look at the black corset and the red areas. the pixelation is data loss which can't be saved anymore. the same thing will happen when you save your scan at a lower quality.

Well, I tried following these instructions here in order to reduce jpeg artifacts while using Gimp (since I don't think my system has a percentage option) and I ended up with this, but it looks exactly the same as the old scan (I see one or two lines are now gone though). I also tried an online jpeg compressor on this, but I don't see much difference either. Can you see any difference in them?

I looked at the sample images you posted and I do think I see a little bit of what you are referring to the black in the image on the right seems to look a bit smudged compared to the other one that seems to have a solid lines, although it is extremely difficult for me to see. I think that smudgey look is what is going on in the black in my monochrome images. I am going to have a very hard time picking these kinds of things oout, but I really want to try.

Pinyan

Retired Moderator

Pinyan

blergh

Blurring will not usually make everything better. Sure, it can hide the artifacts to some extent, but the whole scan suffers when there's too much.

The one you've online converted looks in fact worse than before but that's because online convertors are usually crap. This converter, when set to "best compession" is great but I think it has a size cap either in dimension or filesize, probably both.

It seems that your scans are in PNG format in the beginning, correct? Do you upload them here in PNG? (I don't know if that's possible so I'm asking)
I'm thinking that files' format conversion part is the cause of the artifacts. When you save yor scans while in PNG format, some programs do not give options to alter the quality. But if you save a PNG scan as a new JPEG picture, they usually do let you do that. I wonder if you've tried this.

They actually do save straight to Jpeg format. I magnify the scans and try to clean up the imperfections that I can spot (I ignore the ones that would mess too much with the actual artwork though). I think there are some scans that my computer just will not tolerate and will warp the tar out of it no matter how many times I rescan it. The Owari no Seraph novel scans seem to be one of those books. I had previous trouble with my Quantum Flowers art book (Hooyah had the unfortunate experience of getting me to understand that they were artifact ridden even though I couldn't see it). Am I in danger of getting banned? I really do enjoy scanning and I want to keep trying to get better.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Sorry to butt in and it's not my place to do so, but to give you a quick response to the last part of your post.. No, you won't get banned for what you're doing now. Sometimes we need to make mistakes to get better.

Bans are usually for more extreme cases, you're in no danger whatsoever.
Don't worry about that part.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Pinyan

Retired Moderator

Pinyan

blergh

What Darthas said. Banning is out of the question. You're trying to improve and learn which is commendable.

I'm not sure how else to help though. My last suggestion would be switching programs when you're editing your scans. PAINT.net is free, simple and lets you choose the quality when you save since you're not fond of GIMP as far as I understood.

Also, I adviced you to check your scan driver's settings of compression and I didn't catch whether you did or not. When I first started scanning a long time ago I had the same problem as you and I found my solution there.

Thank you both so much. I was just really worried about making the Mods angry. I'll keep experimenting and see what I can get to work.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

I'll close this thread then as you seemed to have gotten your answer. If it helps, you can PM Anther or Pinyan for help on your scanning skills or maybe open a thread? Perhaps some existing scanners can also help you out.

All the best to you!

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

page 1 of 1 11 total items

Back to Deletion Appeals | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.