Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Skinny-Shaming, ok? - Minitokyo

Skinny-Shaming, ok?

page 1 of 1 11 total items

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

So most people might be familiar with "fat-shaming"-- the act of poking fun of someone for being overweight, or telling someone they are worthless, useless, lazy, or disgusting because they are overweight. To make an overweight female feel uncomfortable, usually by criticizing her weight.

However, the flip-side to this is "skinny-shaming"--to insult a person who is thin specifically because of their weight.
----
The argument presented is that the overwhelming attention for body issues is devoted to eradicating fat-shaming, while underplaying the prevalence of skinny-shaming.

What do you think? Do you think that one or the other deserves more attention? Why do people engage in this type of behavior in the first place?

Signature Image

Redwyn

Redwyn

#SJW apparently

ughmahgawd I read a lot of article on this. I would like a few people to post about their opinion before I do because well...I have a very strong opinion on this matter and I have a lot to say.

#likethat'sabadthinglol

Huesin

Administrator, Linguistics

Huesin

dead to everyone

What do I think? The only thing that comes to my mind is this: why would someone think that insulting skinny people deserves more attention because it is going to stop fat-shaming? are they even trying to solve the real problem? -.-

Why do people engage in this type of behavior.. my opinion: people are pricks by nature. They'll pick on anybody that looks different to the average person, that's why.

About skinny shaming.. I don't get it, but at school they gave me the nickname "bone", and made me fight with the fattest guy, just for fun. Oh good memories :/

Signature
	ImageThere's always one who plants an evil seed and
preaches fear to pull you to the other side
Into a world of lies.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

there are factors which can lead a person to be overweight as well as skinny. not being active, being too active, medicine and so forth. this statement can go both ways. I find it sort of sad how people always want to bully someone over something based entirely on appearance (regardless of appearance). sure, sometimes I look at super skinny people and wonder if they are unhealthy or exercise too much or could have cancer, but I don't run up to them and be like you skinny so and so eat some cake or something, same goes with over weight individuals, I don't run up to them and be mean either.

someday society will look past appearance, I have long ago, maybe society might catch up. I just don't understand why people want to be mean to someone based on outer appearance that not all of it is there fault :(

BuBbLeS!

Signature

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

IDK, from lurking in r/FatPeopleStories (dedicated to stories with fat people) I've noticed it's extremely easy to slip from telling a story to passing judgement - often in a very mean and cruel way, like exaggerating to the point of hyperbole ("the earth quaked when the behemoth came towards me") or making nasty comments towards fat people who are clearly doing their best to not be fat anymore (e.g. working out in the gym). Thankfully, most stories aren't like that.

I was reminded of that subreddit because a lot of stories on there feature chubby or overweight women who consider regular (i.e. healthy*)-sized women "anorexic" and skinny-shame them ("go eat a sandwich!" or one I heard more recently: "you wouldn't be skinny if you didn't want guys chasing after you, quit whining!"). Now there's no reason to believe all those stories are actually true - it's the internet after all, who's going to check? - but it really says something when stories are written to mesh to a specific attitude - in this case, skinny-shaming is almost expected whenever a larger woman interacts with a healthy-sized one.

As for what I think, skinny-shaming can be just as damaging as fat-shaming. Commenting negatively about someone's weight when you don't know their circumstances can be incredibly hurtful, especially if the victim is struggling with body image issues. Just because someone is skinny, it doesn't mean they necessarily want to be like that - hell, they might be trying to put on weight, as unbelievable as it may seem to others, since losing weight is promoted much more openly than gaining weight.

@Redwyn: well, go go go! :o Tell us what you think!

* note that I'm referring to "healthy" in the clinical sense.

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

Cirru

Cirru

Interstellar Force

Making fun of either body type isn't the right approach. Encouraging people with both body types to try and be healthy is the way to go.

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

Both, fat shaming and skinny shaming are bad for human nature yet we do, if not intentionally then sometimes in anger or it becomes a habit of ours.
For taking example of Fat-shaming, a friend of mine, who has almost 100+ weight (in kg), everyone calls him "Fatty", but he's trying his best to get skinny but he doesn't seems to get much result, we can't blame him for that, it's his metabolism who has to blame, he can do work without much consumption of energy like how we do.
Usually I don't insult him by calling him "fatty" but he's irritating sometimes so I have to use a particular word (I don't want to tell that word) to keep him away from me.
We are good friends though he don't mind if I call him, fatty or so, but it doesn't mean I should call him that, but sometimes you people too knows that we can't cotrol our own tongue and words slip from our mouth.

As for Skinny shamming, I have my big brother who is very skinny, I can even see his ribs clearly when he strips, but it's not like that he is sick or anything like that, my and my bro appetite is almost same and yet our weight difference is almost 15 kg.Many of his friends tell him to eat a lot,and he eat a lot too, but his catabolism rate is much higher than his Anabolism so he consumes almost all energy in doing his daily life activity.And he's much more fitter than me.

But honestly it kinda sucks when someone insult physical appearance!

Anyway, what does mad mean exactly? Aren't we all a little mad?
Don't we have to be somewhat mad just to go on living, to go on hoping?
Signature Image

Body shaming of any form is not cool. My mother like to body shame people for something that they have no control over. For example, the color of their skin, the shape of their mouth, nose, ears, the size of their thigh, and etc.

Spoiler for use of offensive language

[OMITTED]

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

(Content deleted by the Mod)

Anyway, what does mad mean exactly? Aren't we all a little mad?
Don't we have to be somewhat mad just to go on living, to go on hoping?
Signature Image

in some cases its more a genetic matter like myself, im weight 50 kilo and no matter how much or how less i ceat i wont gain or lose weight the same is for my older sister just that she weights 40 kilo and has to hear a lot from people that she is sick but in fact some people cant do anything about it no matter what they try but in my opinion"Why should i care if someone else is over weight or not" if the person is happy like then so be it but i dont care so its more about cruelty to confront a person and say dude stop eating to much or youre a fata**".
People like to judge others to cover they own issues if they realize it or not.

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Personally I'm only against criticizing people for things they have no control over i.e. skin colour or height.

If you don't like someone calling you fatty then do something about it. No one is predestined to be fat, it's all down to your life choices.

Many people don't realise that people actually put in effort to look thin or healthy but our western culture of instant gratification teaches kids that you should be able to do anything you want and have everything you want right now.

In reality, like getting anything you want out of life, it takes discipline and hard work. If you have different priories and would rather eat cake instead of salad and stay at home instead of go to the gym then that's okay. Just don't pretend you're "as beautiful" and some who does do those things because you're not.

page 1 of 1 11 total items

Back to Body, Mind & Fashion | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.