Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Naruto/Hinata Vector thoughts - Minitokyo

Naruto/Hinata Vector thoughts

Tagged under Naruto

page 1 of 1 9 total items

SaitoHajime101

SaitoHajime101

Nightcrawler

Reason I'm posting here as this is my 3rd ever vector and first time I've been using the pen tool in a vector and need some serious critique before I enter the final phase for touch ups and filling out areas (especially so around Hinata as there are gaps). If you see something obvious that needs to be fixed, odds are I already know about it. I need feedback on the less obvious things to improve the vector. Entity1660 has been my assist on this, but would like another party's opinion at its 80% completion stage.

Vector: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw2O10ghrVZSdmNoV0x2VHBWQ0U/view?usp=sharing
Source Image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw2O10ghrVZSYkt2LThDY2toRGs/view?usp=sharing

Some notes to keep in mind

1) I will not be vectoring the whole source; just Hinata and Naruto.
2) I plan on using this vector in a wallpaper I have planned.
3) The planned wallpaper I have in mind is also going to use lyrics I wrote myself, but I would like a Japanese interpretation of them written up. If anyone can direct me to someone who can do this for me, much appreciated.
4) The scene I pulled this from is in black and white, hence the lack of color here (see source image above).

Thanks for the critique! I'm hoping to learn more.

Signature Image"Never met person who can outsmart bullet... HAH HAH HAH!" ~ Heavy (TF2)

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Better to be safe than sorry; I highlighted the parts that need editing directly on your vector: http://i.imgur.com/Kcr5v61.jpg
1) hair is floating away from the outlines. Must fill in the gaps.
2) even if the original screenshot looks like this, it doesn't translate well to a bigger size. The highlights on Hinata's obi are actually outlines in the screenshot, and the white gap between her hair and Naruto doesn't look good unless you add more shading to Hinata's hair (now it just looks like Naruto has a hole in him, lol).
3) outline overlapping color fill.
4) fill not close enough to outline. Must fill in the gaps.
5) minor anchor point misalignment, probably.
6) paths not connecting.

Otherwise the colors and vectoring are nice. Not too sure about the gray but I can't think of anything else to replace it with.

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

Aside from what Pande already pointed out, I noticed that those pink flowers have heavy jpg pixelation which is ruining the overall quality of vector. And also the lower part of Naruto's ear the fill are not done properly like many other parts Pande pointed out.

Are you going to make this vector in Minimum Color palette style?

Anyway, what does mad mean exactly? Aren't we all a little mad?
Don't we have to be somewhat mad just to go on living, to go on hoping?
Signature Image

SaitoHajime101

SaitoHajime101

Nightcrawler

Much appreciated on the feedback!

@Monu-chan: minimum palette? Lol honestly didn't know about that. I'd that something I can change after the fact? I'm using photos hop cs6.

Signature Image"Never met person who can outsmart bullet... HAH HAH HAH!" ~ Heavy (TF2)

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

Minimal Color Palette <--- here
By your current progress and style (usage of too much black color) I'm supposing you're planning to keep it less colorful by adding few colors on selected part. Because this is what I would do if I'd make something in MCP.

And if you're planning to make it fully colored, then I'm not sure how you'll make it further, maybe it depends on your style? I dunno... And you said you're using Pentool first time for vectoring, and this is your third vector, so I wonder what tool you've used in your previous vector? Because Pen tool is only tool available in Photoshop for making Vector graphics (leaving Type tool and shapes tool aside as you can't use them in making characters).

Signature Image

SaitoHajime101

SaitoHajime101

Nightcrawler

Years ago when I made my first two vectors, I used the stroke tool. Clearly that's not an acceptable tool to be using in proper vectoring. I'm pretty bad with Photoshop but I'm learning a lot now that I'm attempting this new vector with a new approach.

I do agree the amount of black in the vector is too much. Maybe I'll take some artistic freedom with Naruto's outfit or something. I'm not really sure as I need to finish the touch ups before I start blending and coloring.

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

Glad to know you're learning more.
Yeah a very important point that you should keep in mind is arranging "layers" not just in vectors but in any digital art.
Arranging layers properly helps a lot in many ways. When I used to do single colored lineart (with any dark color i.e. dark brown, dark purple or black) I always kept my lineart layers on top. And I always keep Skin Layers (I tend to make Layer sets/groups for certain part so it'll be much easier to locate them) below all the layers, followed by clothes, eyes, and then hair.
I would not advice you using Group vector mask, because without using it you'll learn controlling pentool better. But if you want to use, group vector masks saves lots of time, and effort that you need to keep your shading layers within lines. Group vector masks also gives you freedom to paint inside a vector bordered shape. (In a sense you can paint, and the boundries will remain smooth like vector shapes.) This helps a lot when you want to give painting effect or want to save your time from making hundreds of shapes, but if you don't have a tablet for painting then you need a very good control over mouse, and use lots of smudge tool to make your brush strokes (not that lining stroke I meant here) smoother.

Whateva you choose, Best of luck! :D

Signature Image

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Quote by SaitoHajime101I do agree the amount of black in the vector is too much. Maybe I'll take some artistic freedom with Naruto's outfit or something. I'm not really sure as I need to finish the touch ups before I start blending and coloring.

There's nothing wrong with including a lot of black, provided you include a lot of black in the background as well, if it's any other color. This could really work as a more minimalistic design with almost no shading, and hard colors. You can include one or several more additional accent colors aside from the pink, if you feel it's too restrictive.

Monu is right about keeping the outlines separate from the rest of the vector, but only if you really need to i.e. are absolutely sure you won't need to recolor them separately. For example, if you plan on keeping all the black parts as they are, having them in only one shape layer wouldn't be wrong.

Gonna link some more galleries, if you want inspiration:
Color Splash (grayscale + 1 color = the way your vector is now)
Minimalism
Abstract + Vector Art
Abstract + Minimal Color Palette
Minimal Color Palette + Vector Art
Vector Art + No Background (walls), if you want to go this route

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

SaitoHajime101

SaitoHajime101

Nightcrawler

I'll give it a shot with the colors this weekend.

I have all outlines on different layers. This vector has something like 15 to 20 layers so far based on what it is separated down into layer folders so I know what it's for. Definitely liking the minimalistic idea.

*UPDATE* I updated opening post link with new version of the vector with some color I've been playing with. Fixed a lot of mistakes yet created some more with the coloring. So far its not too bad, need more of a nod if I'm headed in the right direction. This is all new area of photoshop for me. Thanks for the feedback!

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.