Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Deletion of scan 697835, 697669 and 697670 - Minitokyo

Deletion of scan 697835, 697669 and 697670

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Missty-chan

Missty-chan

Tales of fan

Hello.

My pictures 697835, 697669 and 697670 were delete recently and I wonder why. For 697669 and 697670, I think it might be because of some jpeg artifacts even if I didn't see anything before adding them, but for 697835, I'm really clueless.
Can someone explain it to me please ?

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

697669 and 697670 were indeed deleted because of artifacts and because the lineart is jagged.
697835 was deleted because, along with the artifacts, the only usable parts (the characters) were half covered by text.

Just to clarify the structure of deletion PMs: when you get a deletion PM, the reason for the deletion is usually written at the very bottom of the PM, under "Moderator comments" (or something like that). The reasons at the top are basic generic ones, and the bottom of the PM usually mentions why images are deleted (especially for broad reasons like "image quality").

Edit: to explain a bit further, "JPEG artifacts" means that the image was saved at a bad compression rate, which resulted in "fuzzy" parts (artifacts). These are especially obvious around the outlines/lineart and in areas where colors meet. They are different from scan lines and paper/material texture in that lines and textures tend to be uniform (for example, scan lines tend to cover all the image), while artifacts show up only under/around specific areas. If you want some examples I'd be happy to assist.

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

Missty-chan

Missty-chan

Tales of fan

I got the JPEG artifacts thing, even if I'm still struggling to see them. :) However, I'm not against some more explanation about "Jagged outlines" if it's possible please. :)

By the way :

Quote: Just to clarify the structure of deletion PMs: when you get a deletion PM, the reason for the deletion is usually written at the very bottom of the PM, under "Moderator comments" (or something like that). The reasons at the top are basic generic ones, and the bottom of the PM usually mentions why images are deleted (especially for broad reasons like "image quality").

Ok... Thank you for this clarification, since the PM are so illogical. The important part is written after the signature... It should be at the top of the PM, not hidden somewhere in the end. How am I supposed to know that something important is written after a sentence like "This is an automated message and cannot be replied" which conclued most of PM on other website ? ^^"
Thank you for this light in such darkness. ;)

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Yeah, I admit it's not the most fortunate of structures. People tend to skip over the "blah blah" at the end anyway.

Jagged outlines refers to images that have either been resized or rotated improperly. Basically, outlines should be smooth, not choppy. Here's a visual example:

http://i.imgur.com/bGUnvJ2.jpg

Jagged outlines can also appear when art is extracted improperly, like with the Magic Wand Tool in Photoshop. The tool selects one color mostly, but it will usually also grab colors in that selected color's range (for example, if you have an image where a pink and a red area are right next to each other, selecting the red area can also select part of the pink one). Below, I extracted a character from an official artwork, then pasted her on another background:

http://i.imgur.com/fClJJto.jpg

And to clarify what JPEG artifacts mean, another visual example:

http://i.imgur.com/SlZroax.jpg

If you look around the outlines, especially on the dark purple hair, you will notice some fuzziness. That's not supposed to be there.

Saving images at a high quality is a must, since some colors (red, especially) are sensitive to drops in quality. Saving a mostly red image at 7 quality instead of 10, 11, or 12 will give you an image full of artifacts, like below:

http://i.imgur.com/eT56lEa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yqPTNLU.jpg

Compare the red/orange areas, and the areas where the coloring meets the lineart. That fuzziness, again, is not supposed to be there, it's a noticeable loss in quality.

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

Missty-chan

Missty-chan

Tales of fan

Ok, I get it for the jagged outlines. It's easy to see in fact. I'll try to do it right. However, even if I understand what you mean about the JPEG artifacts, I'm still unable to see it. ^^" Pictures are identicals to me, expect for the extracted one of course. :) Sorry. ^^" Your explanation is clear but I think I'm hopeless. ^^"

By the way, I tried to find high quality pictures of Oscar and Teresa (I really want to send those pictures) but I didn't find anything. T_T

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Back to Deletion Appeals | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.