Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Lesson 1: Greetings! - Minitokyo

Lesson 1: Greetings!

Group announcement by Japanese

page 1 of 1 13 total items

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Let's start with greetings!

Note from Cheri-Sama: These sentences/phrases are commonly heard in subtitled anime series. To those who know or want to clarify something, please tell me. I'll share here how I was taught by my sensei.

Ohayou (gozaimasu) : Good Morning
Usage: Greetings for morning (obviously). If you add gozaimasu it becomes a polite greeting.

Konnichiwa : Hello / Good Afternoon
Usage: Hello or good afternoon. I remembered sensei told us that they use this greeting for afternoon starting at 10am, but 10am isn't really afternoon I don't know why though. ^_^x!

Konbanwa : Good evening

Oyasumi / Oyasuminasai : Good night
Usage: when a person is about to sleep/rest for the night. Oyasuminasai is the polite form of Oyasumi.

Sayounara : Goodbye

Doumo (or Domo)/ Arigatou/ (doumo) arigatou (gozaimasu) : Thanks / Thank you / Thank you very much
Usage: Doumo is plain form, the same with arigatou. The polite form is doumo arigatou gozaimasu.

Douitashimashite : You're welcome

Sumimasen : I'm sorry / Excuse me / Thank you (some do use this as thank you)

Shitsureishimasu : Excuse me

Ojamashimasu : sorry for intruding
Usage: I commonly hear this when you go to a friend's/someone's house unplanned (meaning the person you're about to visit doesn't know you're coming). So upon entering the house, you greet the people there saying 'ojamashimasu'. This is a polite form.

Gomennasai : I'm sorry

(O)genki desu ka? / genki ka? : How are you?
Usage: Adding 'O' before genki becomes polite.

Dou shimashita ka? : What's the matter?

Odaijini / Ki o tsukete : Take care of yourself.
Usage: (needs clarification again) I think Odaijini is the polite form but kiotsukete is commonly used.

Okaeri / Okaerinasai : welcome back
usage: Used to welcome back (commonly at home). Polite form is okaerinasai.

Tadaima : I'm back
usage: Used by the person who just came back (from work, school, etc.)

firefly addendum:
Ittekimasu: I'm going
Usage: Said when a person is leaving to go somewhere, but with the intention that they will return.

Itterasshai: Have a good time; See you later
Usage: Said to people when sending them off from the home or some other place where they will be returning at a later time

Hajimemashite: How do you do; Nice to meet you
Usage: Used when introducing oneself.

Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu: Please treat me kindly
Usage: Most commonly used at the conclusion of an introduction.

Signature Image

chingetscook

chingetscook

Net Slacker

Otsukaresama (deshita): Good work, thanks (for helping), etc.

Signature Image

ROSEANA

ROSEANA

~Love Shiki~

new information. Thank you^o^

Signature
Sawadeeka^o^ROSEANAka
LovE the GazettE

arigatou^^

Quote by fireflywishesKonnichiwa : Hello / Good Afternoon
Usage: Hello or good afternoon. I remembered sensei told us that they use this greeting for afternoon starting at 10am, but 10am isn't really afternoon I don't know why though. ^_^x!

10am is already mid-day so it's pretty odd to say good morning when the sun is already high. The concept of the greeting is subjective unlike in English it's objective.

Quote by fireflywishesSumimasen : I'm sorry / Excuse me / Thank you (some do use this as thank you)

It can mean like "thank you for the trouble". I often hear this in housewives (especially in apartment complexes) sharing stuff or returning a borrowed item. Well it can be used by anyone.

Quote by fireflywishesOjamashimasu : sorry for intruding
Usage: I commonly hear this when you go to a friend's/someone's house unplanned (meaning the person you're about to visit doesn't know you're coming). So upon entering the house, you greet the people there saying 'ojamashimasu'. This is a polite form.

Not necessarily "unplanned" I used this greeting even I'm expected to visit in a friend's house.

Quote by fireflywishesOdaijini / Ki o tsukete : Take care of yourself.
Usage: (needs clarification again) I think Odaijini is the polite form but kiotsukete is commonly used.

These two have different meanings. "Odaijini" refers to take care of one's health, like don't involve yourself in danger. "Ki o tsukete" means to be cautious like when traveling. Casual form of "odaiji ni" is "daiji ni" used like "karada wo daiji ni suru no" (take care of your body). "ki o tsukete" can be formal; "kaeri michi ni ki o tsukete kudasai" (please take causation on your way home).

I hope this helps a bit.

cheri-sama

cheri-sama

(◕‿‿◕)

thanks lots midori-chan! that helped a lot and clear some of the confusion I had^^;

( ゚Д゚ノノ☆パチパチパチパチ

Quote by fireflywishesOdaijini / Ki o tsukete : Take care of yourself.

These two have different meanings. "Odaijini" refers to take care of one's health, like don't involve yourself in danger. "Ki o tsukete" means to be cautious like when traveling. Casual form of "odaiji ni" is "daiji ni" used like "karada wo daiji ni suru no" (take care of your body). "ki o tsukete" can be formal; "kaeri michi ni ki o tsukete kudasai" (please take causation on your way home).

can u use kiotsukete when asking people to be careful when doing something dangerous (like climbing stairs to repair the light bulb)?

and where & when should we use kudasai? like gomen kudasai or tasukete kudasai?

Signature

hatsu-haru-123

hatsu-haru-123

hatsu-haru

wow i would be SMART

Signature Image

evelsubaru

evelsubaru

the anime addict

Konnichiwa is more or less an any time of the day greeting it also meens good day hence thats why you use it in schools starting at 10am its not early morning anymore its close to mid day so its more appropreate to use Konnichiwa over Ohayou

i hope that helps a little bit hehe XD

Signature

Stigma13

Stigma13

N.e:aR

Konnichiwa it's my first time here, wow it's a great work is a great job making this lesson domo

"Sommes-nous les jouets du destin
souviens-toi des moments divins
planant,

arigatou gozaimasu! :3 i'm learning much :D

-pogi :3

renlilica

renlilica

BEAUTIFUL! >.<

Atashi wa atarashi des. arigato for the lesson.

YOU'RE LOVED DEARLY!

I like how Japanese has small words to convey polite sentiments and their usage is commonplace enough to not sound weird.

Why die only once when you can die a little everyday

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Back to Group Announcements | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.