Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 The Death Note (2017) Movie - Minitokyo

The Death Note (2017) Movie

Tagged under Death Note

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 36 total items

404UserNotFound

404UserNotFound

Bye Bitch

Making this thread since I just saw the new Death Note netflix original and wanted to see what MT thought about it.

Personally I think that if they wanted the movie to be different from the series they should have just went all the way and made it its own story that just happened to be in the same reality as the series. Instead of trying to make it a parody by keeping the characters name similar and alluding to the original.

Spoiler (show)

Also can I just talk about how this version of Light's first kill was DECAPITATION? Like dude.... you just got this notebook of death that can kill however you want and you're not even sure it works. The default kill method being a heart attack. Does he just make sure it works by going with the default? No he had to specify decapitation. What the heck is wrong with this kid.

//EDIT:
Just saying to you regular members I know this thread is a bit of a moderator fest for the most part but don't be afraid to comment! We're all nerds like you ! Have no fear

I'm gon' be straight with yall. I ain't coming back here.

elisadevelon

Retired Moderator

elisadevelon

The purple vamp

Quote by HatedAngelWhat the heck is wrong with this kid.

http://orig09.deviantart.net/02be/f/2012/217/c/8/light_yagami_demotivational_by_redeyedsquirrel-d59wn69.jpg

But even though you don't like the movie, it sounds interesting. I'll need to watch it.

Hakaru

Moderator, Tagger, Scanner

Hakaru

一緒に行こう

That's probably one of the reason why Light was older in the japanese live action.
The diehard fans are not going to like netflix version, as the three main characters doesn't even look like their manga counterpart.

Don't assume your dreams are just fantasy.
If you can imagine a world, believe in it...and dive in.
Signature Image

404UserNotFound

404UserNotFound

Bye Bitch

Ok granted the original Light was messed up enough to become a serial killer but atleast he tried it out with the default heart attack without going above and beyond.

Quote by HakaruThe diehard fans are not going to like netflix version, as the three main characters doesn't even look like their manga counterpart.

That's sort of the thing that baffles me most is they decided to take a route that would have no doubt not made the fans happy. The fans are the largest piece of your target audience, don't do things that would annoy them or thats just bad business.
If they just made a movie in the same Death Note universe but with a different cast they may have been just peachy. I dont know- would that be watch-worthy?

Hakaru

Hakaru

一緒に行こう

Quote by HatedAngelThat's sort of the thing that baffles me most is they decided to take a route that would have no doubt not made the fans happy. The fans are the largest piece of your target audience, don't do things that would annoy them or thats just bad business.
If they just made a movie in the same Death Note universe but with a different cast they may have been just peachy. I dont know- would that be watch-worthy?

there's mixed reaction for the japanese fans as well→ http://youtu.be/ZU8Ingn8w24
I don't felt watching the full movie either, the demographic was changed but some of the japanese names/terms were retained.

Is it really necessary to have an americanize version of death note? We already have four japanese live-action movies which were all released in theaters worldwide, one japanese television drama, and one korean musical.

Signature Image

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Quote by HakaruIs it really necessary to have an americanize version of death note? We already have four japanese live-action movies which were all released in theaters worldwide, one japanese television drama, and one korean musical.

Well, studios aren't going to care about small things like "respect for the fandom" or "faithful adaptations" as long as there's money to be made.

I hope to be able to see it tomorrow or Monday. Gotta get some popcorn and alcohol. Right now the only thing that's keeping me interested is Willem Dafoe - anyone who's seen this care to weigh in on how his parts are?

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

well they had to do some differences, should have stated spoiler alert there regarding decapitation by the way. but, I liked the movie, probably one of the few who did I suppose. I giggled when I heard Light's high pitched scream that was funny and I found they did rather well with Ryuk, so, after that I didn't care. it ran along better with the live action Japanese version (film and series) than the animated version. I liked the fact of the changes, such as L and to show that L was human too. I also liked his back story and the extra rules the death note had.

it's your typical teenage American movie drummed out from hollywood linked to netflix, you're going to find the weak, emo teenagers that need their tiaras once they don't get their way, having daddy issues and a whole host of other pointless teenage drama. sure they should have gone with a stronger image for Light and Mia, but, goodness, we can reflect bad acting and camera placement on the director as well. it could have turned out much better, but it wasn't like Dragon Ball Evolution. I always see every American version of something from somewhere else as Dragon Ball Evolution, when it turns out good, then it's not a total loss.

for those who haven't seen Dragon Ball Evolution, please do so, in the future, do like I do, and you will be able to state it wasn't that bad and could have been a heck of a lot worse. DBE is the don't of hollywood Japan to American film regarding Japanimation by the way.

Spoiler (show)

on a Lighter note (there's a pun in there somewhere I'm sure): at least he didn't take a potato chip and eat it :P

BuBbLeS!

Signature

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

DBE isn't really on my list as I have zero emotional attachment to any DB series, but I may see it eventually just to see how much of a trainwreck it is. Now the Last Airbender movie...that one is rumored to be so bad that people willingly develop selective amnesia to deal with the trauma of having seen it. And considering Penis Hair Lady here (SFW?), I'm inclined to agree, lol.

Now I'm looking forward to seeing Death Note! It'll probably be OKish if I don't get my hopes up too much.

Edit: the lack of the potato chip consumption scene makes me doubt the meme potential of the US version.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

there are many death note Japan related stuff out there, the live action Drama series are decent in length, the first being around 71 minutes, then the others less than an hour. recently streamed it over on crunchyroll. there's also several movies including new movies that was a spinoff released to the live action series. then there's the Japanimation version, that also has an abridged version, cheaper, runs in two movies which leaves out the remotely dull and pointless stuff. seen both versions, animated series and abridged, there's really no difference between the two. you are capable of streaming the animation series over on Anime Planet, both the subbed and the dubbed version.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

404UserNotFound

404UserNotFound

Bye Bitch

Quote by pandemonium91

Quote by HakaruIs it really necessary to have an americanize version of death note? We already have four japanese live-action movies which were all released in theaters worldwide, one japanese television drama, and one korean musical.

Well, studios aren't going to care about small things like "respect for the fandom" or "faithful adaptations" as long as there's money to be made.

I hope to be able to see it tomorrow or Monday. Gotta get some popcorn and alcohol. Right now the only thing that's keeping me interested is Willem Dafoe - anyone who's seen this care to weigh in on how his parts are?

That's actually one of the problems with adapting from other mediums is that they usually don't respect the fandom. It proabably would have made a better movie if they did - or if they atleast considered what made the original Death Note work and didn't throw all that away.

Willem Dafoe did a good job as Ryuk, it was one of the upsides to the entire movie. They did change a bit of his character from comic relief to evil mastermind. Then again maybe thats just how Ryuk would react to a guy like Light Turner. I mean the guy wasn't nearly as smart as Light Yagami and was obviously not as entertaining so maybe thats how Ryuk got by was just messing with the guy.

Quote by angelxxuan
should have stated spoiler alert there regarding decapitation by the way.

oops I didn't consider that. I'll edit that in now. Then again its not a gigantic spoiler but I'll put it in regardless

Also yes I too agree that they really should have included the potato chip scene. That's the real crime committed here.

MisaSasekage

MisaSasekage

War Queen

I think L, Misa & Light acted too OOC. Mainly L & Light who were both wayyy too over emotional. (That scene when Light met Ryuk had me laughing so hard XD) Tbh, I think maybe this being a tv series would've been better.

Hakaru

Hakaru

一緒に行こう

How are they supposed to introduce the story of the second arc when Misa and Watari has been killed off? The rewritten script and character development sucks. The least they could do is to fellow Light's original hairstyle, there's nothing wrong with his hairstyle it couldn be use for americans as well. netflix gets 10/10 for ruining death note, and they also have the worse fashion sense.

Signature Image

404UserNotFound

404UserNotFound

Bye Bitch

Honestly yeah making it a TV series would have improved it a little bit.
I have some doubts well even get the second arc with Near and Mellow, the first movie just din't do well enough. Buuut I've been suprised before.

Also heCK YES THE FASHION SENSE WAS BAD. Where was Misa's gothic fashion sense D: wheres ma gothic Misa

Hakaru

Hakaru

一緒に行こう

The CGI is really bad as well, netflix should have leave everything to hollywood.
Turner gets fuck out by Ryuk, and he screams like a girl xD

Signature Image

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

I just saw the movie, yay! And yeah, if I hadn't, I wouldn't believe all the one star reviews on IMDb were accurate, but they are. Unfortunately.

Spoilers below, obvs:

Best parts:

Spoiler (show)

Willem Dafoe as Ryuk was as hammy and scenery-chewing as I expected him to be. A bit disappointed that they made him sadistic instead of amused and sort of distant like in the anime, but his cackle more than made up for it.

Light threatening Ryuk with writing his name in the Death Note. Cue Ryuk telling him that his name had 4 letters and the most anyone got to was 2.

L calling Light out on his bullshit in the restaurant: how Light should write his own name in the Death Note because he killed over 400 people.

Mia calling Light a pu**y to his face. YES.

Light's plan at the end was the closest thing to the Death Note anime, even if completely ridiculous.

Worst parts:

Spoiler (show)

This version is less of a psychological thriller and more of an action flick with whiny teenagers.

Light (really, who names their kid that?) being the complete opposite of the original. Mia gets more of anime!Light's personality, really. Actually, it's like everyone's personality is flipped: Light is an antisocial, emo coward; Mia is the bloodthirsty, crazed killer; and L is less of a detective and more of a quirky unstable person. Though reading Wikipedia, the creators apparently based Mia not on Misa, but on "Light's sociopathic qualities".

Light screams like a little girl during Ryuk's first appearance. Zero charisma.

Dutch angles, dutch angles everywhere. Seriously, they were so distracting.

The love subplot is unnecessary in such a short movie, or Mia's role should have been reduced. Light tells Mia, a girl whom he has a crush on but hasn't even talked to (as far as we know), about the Death Note like 5 minutes after first talking to her. Mia is the one urging Light to kill, and at the end she is the one with the (apparent) upper hand.

Why, if the police's database wasn't compromised from the Turner house, did L decide to set up surveillance on Light? Where did he get the resources to survey so many police officers before he got to Light?

Light should not have been able to kill Watari since he didn't know his last name. By that logic, he should have been able to kill L without knowing his real name too, since L is sort of a name - even if it's a pseudonym, it's still something L chooses to go by.

Really, with the floating page that goes straight into the oil drum fire? Since when is the Death Note able to manipulate objects to that degree, especially if it doesn't lead to the death of someone?

I gave it 3/10, mainly for the actor playing L being pretty good in the first 2/3 of the movie, and Willem Dafoe being entertaining.

Hakaru

Hakaru

一緒に行こう

The best live action adoption is probably the 2015 japanese tv drama, despite all the changes; such as Near/Mello becoming a single character and the addition of Light's background story/death. The writers are more faithful to the original material, they also take time to explain each of dn rules/limitations in the intertitle.

Signature Image

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

I'm rewatching the anime right now - I'd forgotten how funny Ryuk was (and Light is such a charmer too)! - and will probably check out the movies too, especially if they're good :)

cylentkill

cylentkill

Oyabun

The live action kinda threw me waaay off from the Anime/Mangaka versions... very off putting for my taste....

Signature
	Imagehttp://static.minitokyo.net/sigs/cylentkill.gif

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

I'm on the 8th episode of the anime and, while it's definitely a slow burner, it's way more tense and gripping than the movie was at any point.

I think the main offender was the Light/Mia relationship; the creators could have done so much with the material they had, yet still insisted on shoehorning in a useless love subplot, probably to appeal to the female audience in giving them a female character to relate to. Wikipedia says the director was planning to make more DN films if people would just watch this one (it sounds like he's begging people to watch it), and I feel Mia should have been introduced in the second movie, with the first being dedicated solely to Light and L's cat-and-mouse game.

Flipping Light's personality 180 degrees also sounds like an attempt at appealing to bullied/outcast teens. Because it's so hard to believe that brilliant AND popular teens actually exist!

404UserNotFound

404UserNotFound

Bye Bitch

The love plot is typical Hollywood, its like they dont know how to do anything without a romantic subplot.
I'm not sure if I already stated it but they really did not understand what made the original great, the screen writer obviously isn't that big of a fan of the source material (which always leads to a bad adaption because they don't know what made the original appeal anyway) And if by chance they were a fan then wooo boi they messed that up for other reasons.

Hakaru

Hakaru

一緒に行こう

What's wrong with the story development is the fact that Light doesn't love Misa, you know he's just using her popularity and her shinigami eyes. I don't get why they changed Misa from pop idol to cheerleader, and yes the lolita style is not suitable for an american movie but gothic is actually from the west. If they released this crap in the theaters, it'll definitely be a box office bomb.

Off-topic but:
The good thing about anime remakes is that part of the staffs and casts are fans of the original franchise.

Signature Image

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

With a budget of $40m, it was quite an ambitious project (that really didn't need such a high budget, which I assume was mostly spent on the special effects). It's actually interesting that only ~44,000 people have rated it on IMDb; I wonder how many have actually seen it. The numbers are pretty low, though that's understandable for a limited, non-theatrical release. It's kind of sad that it had such a poor reception and execution, because the following movies (which I highly doubt will be getting made) would have most likely expanded the plot better. Then again, it could also be a "testing the waters" scenario to see how audiences respond to this concept before going all out and making more movies/media. Kind of like how TV shows get a pilot, then get greenlit if executive and audience responses are favorable.

Quote by HatedAngelThe love plot is typical Hollywood, its like they dont know how to do anything without a romantic subplot.

Run-of-the-mill action flicks geared towards teenagers don't know what to do with a female character that isn't a romantic interest, aside from turning her into the Tomboyish Friend. I can't even remember any female characters in Death Note 2017 aside from Mia.

Then again, I felt no connection between Light and Misa except teenage lust, they literally had only the Death Note in common and one could argue that Mia only got close to him to get her hands on it.

Quote by HakaruI don't get why they changed Misa from pop idol to cheerleader, and yes the lolita style is not suitable for an american movie but gothic is actually from the west.

Mia being a cheerleader ties in to Light's 180-degree personality switch too: we can't have people that are too perfect. Mia comes across as aloof and not at all like the stereotypical bitchy cheerleader, though, glad that stereotype was left in the '90s. And the concept of "idol" as understood in Asian media doesn't really exist in the West (they could've made her a model though — and even a gothic-styled one, to show that models aren't just of one type).

I think the worst offender, and the foundation of the movie, is that they tried to make Light sympathetic. Being in a half-panicked state all the time after the initial high of using the Death Note? Breaking down and wanting to quit using the Death Note at the first sign of intervention from the police? Needing Mia to prod him into using the Death Note and actually falling in love with and trusting her? They obviously wanted us to relate to Light and want him to go free, whereas the anime let you draw your own conclusions i.e. whether you saw him as a hero, antihero or villain.

Hakaru

Hakaru

一緒に行こう

They coped the part where Light's mother died from 2015 drama, the differences is she died when he was a child. In this version Light feels some resentment towards his father, there's this whole" trying to mend father-son relationship" thing throughout the entire drama, but Light eventually become the antihero he was meant to be.

Another worst offender; Some fans questioned why L is being played by a black, it doesn't matched any possible ethnicity of L mentioned by Obata in the dn13 guidebook. Making Ryuk the only shinigami that appeared the movie is also ridiculous, because the maximum of 6 notebooks can be coexist in human world at the same time.

Signature Image

404UserNotFound

404UserNotFound

Bye Bitch

They got every bodies ethnicity wrong. L is supposedly british/Japanese (if I remember right) Watari is British, and everybody else is japanese. Instead they took the one canon white guy- made him a token Japanese character, took a British/ Japanese man and made him black, then made every single Japanese character white. Nobody looks like they should. What really annoys me is how they explicitly in the casting call said they didn't want Light played by an asian actor.
Like? Asian- more specifically Japanese people- exist in america? America isn't that white of a country to where an american death note has to be a mostly white cast? Why ? Why is this a thing?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 36 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.