Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 I hate cars! - Minitokyo

page 1 of 1 20 total items

Not really, but I hate that they can be privately owned by anybody!
Why can't we use government owned or corporate owned (with restrictions) vehicles instead?
Less pollution! Less oil related problems! Less traffic woah! Less expenditure on roads! Less accidents and deaths! Perks for pedestrian and people who love to walk.

Counter arguments to some possible arguments:
- but public transport sucks!
-- but look at all those benefits! Also, if everyone starts using it, the demand and supply magic will happen and the services would become considerably sophisticated! There will be enough number of buses for everyone to get a seat. And you know the number of people that fit in one bus take the space of like ten buses if they're in cars.
- what if I wanna go to somewhere alone or with family?
--You have taxis! But this time the drivers will be certified employees of the company. They'll have gone through tests and all, since all the vehicle owning process would be centralized and regulated.
- but i like cars!
-- stop being petty
- You communist!
-- yeah there's some similarity, but in this sense, being a communist isn't such a bad thing I think. Sure there will be corruption. But there's corruption everywhere, I don't think it's a big enough problem to justify the benefits we are missing here.
- What to do with all the existing cars!?!
-- Now That is a good question. I don't know. Tough question. Maybe allow people to own then till the cars wear out and instead of repairing them, just convert em to scrap metal for some amount of money. Doesn't seem like a good answer. But hey at least we agree that this idea is a good one, just that it has a practical difficulty to implement. It's important that we hold on to such ideas, so that they can pass on to later generations who can turn them to reality if they can solve the difficulties.

So what do you think?

(And I think cycles are fine, they don't take too much space, no traffic, no oil, no pollution)

Why die only once when you can die a little everyday

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

I can not walk to my jobs that are 35+ miles away and I have no thumbs so it is impossible for me to "hitchhike".

Knowledge and Time are the Keys to Wisdom.Signature Image

Justifying the post: You can always use a bus stop.
Replying jovially: You know they would have normally stopped for you at a mere woof or raise of a paw, had you not always chased them cars so fervently

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

if you hate cars and want to take the bus, a bicycle, or car pool, then go for it. it's not killing the environment not one bit. buses are just as lethal to the environment as a car is, and it takes more energy to make buses, hybrids, electric cars... and I'm not even going to start with the dangers of these new self driving cars, those aren't ready to release. not everyone goes to work in an office, how would people with lawn mowers, a month's worth of groceries, or those on crutches enter a bus? what of the elderly, service dogs... as some buses are already equipped to handle wheel chair folks, what of those who have medical conditions? I'll stick with my car pool fun from family or my own vehicle, and I'll ride around on my lawnmower to enjoy the mowing. those who want to think they are saving the environment by taking another method then more power to them. as of right now there is nothing wrong with what society has been doing for over a generation now.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

agent-Achika

agent-Achika

Nobody can be uncheered

I think taking the bus i s a wonderful alternative.
It is great to have as an option, but when you consider
the cons that aren't under ones control when it comes to
buses & the people that use them imo are:
Traffic jams, bus breakdowns, crazy passengers,
mean bus drivers, & also how bus drivers like
to drive extra slow which causes ppl to be late for work.
Ugh I think I'd rather have a taxi instead as a next resort.
However having your own private vehicle is better,
due to no one regulating when nor where Ur
allowed to travel somewhere on a specific time frame.
With your own car the sky is the limit.
Best of all you don't have to deal with crazy neighbors
sitting next to you on a bus or taxi cab.
That's just my take on it.......

Quote by angelxxuan if you hate cars and want to take the bus, a bicycle, or car pool, then go for it. it's not killing the environment not one bit. buses are just as lethal to the environment as a car is, and it takes more energy to make buses, hybrids, electric cars... and I'm not even going to start with the dangers of these new self driving cars, those aren't ready to release. not everyone goes to work in an office, how would people with lawn mowers, a month's worth of groceries, or those on crutches enter a bus? what of the elderly, service dogs... as some buses are already equipped to handle wheel chair folks, what of those who have medical conditions? I'll stick with my car pool fun from family or my own vehicle, and I'll ride around on my lawnmower to enjoy the mowing. those who want to think they are saving the environment by taking another method then more power to them. as of right now there is nothing wrong with what society has been doing for over a generation now.

I don't think making buses uses up as much energy as required to make cars that would collectively transport as many people. And I think buses and taxis already have facilities to accommodate the handicapped and elderly.
What's a service dog?

But I have missed two points you mentioned here-
What about those with medical conditions? This centralized system I proposed is really disadvantageous to them. I can't argue there really.
And people with a month's worth grocery! And in general any luggage that you have to carry buy can't without causing others discomfort. Hm.. I think this case isn't that bad, you can deal with being 'that guy' some days.
And I can't argue with the last point either, those who have fun riding with family, they'll just have to sacrifice that. But if there's a greater good then that's ok I guess.. But it's a tiny step towards the more disliked communist thinking, which is another drawback.

So thanks for pointing out more bad points. But I still think it's not that bad an idea, only if I can figure out how to make it more friendly for people with medical conditions. If not then maybe I'll have to accept it's not a good idea. Maybe I can come up with something in a later edit.

merged: 05-16-2016 ~ 07:28pm

Quote by agent-AchikaI think taking the bus i s a wonderful alternative.
It is great to have as an option, but when you consider
the cons that aren't under ones control when it comes to
buses & the people that use them imo are:
Traffic jams, bus breakdowns, crazy passengers,
mean bus drivers, & also how bus drivers like
to drive extra slow which causes ppl to be late for work.
Ugh I think I'd rather have a taxi instead as a next resort.
However having your own private vehicle is better,
due to no one regulating when nor where Ur
allowed to travel somewhere on a specific time frame.
With your own car the sky is the limit.
Best of all you don't have to deal with crazy neighbors
sitting next to you on a bus or taxi cab.
That's just my take on it.......

No, Traffic jams would be reduced, right? They take up less space.
I don't think slow drivers would be that bad an issue. And you know, I'd prefer being miserable in the bus rather than being miserable at work :p
I haven't had a bad experience with co-passengers... Which might as well mean I'm that crazy passenger!

But yeah, not many people, especially Americans, would be willing to give up the little freedom that comes with cars ( just like with guns ) which one doesn't really use much but ehh.. anyway

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

this be a service dog https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_dog

as things are bigger in production, it takes more energy and money to make them, even materials. it takes more energy to make an electric car than it does a car that runs on fuel, because plastic, and the likes are all oils. same with the building materials, to get said materials, etc. these facts can be checked via the net.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

Of course it takes more of everything to make a bus as compared to one car. But a bus carries like twenty people which would require at least 5 cars. When you compare it like that, buses are cheaper in resources.

having a car is freedom to go whenever or wherever you want unrestricted it's why life is fun. if you are stuck where you are then you have fewer choices and have to rely on someone else to get you where you wanna be. buses only take the same routes and just driving for fun to random places is fun too.. like the beach where no one else is!

agent-Achika

agent-Achika

Nobody can be uncheered

How would traffic jams be reduced by a bus?
And slow bus drivers is a huge issue.
They never want to drive faster & stay at
each stop too many minutes even when
there is no one else getting on the bus atm.

I realise that I do not have good arguments for hating cars.
I'm still not very convinced though that not having a commercially controlled and government regulated transport system would be a bad idea, though admittedly I cannot think of ways, or lack enough backing data, to say how it might be good at all.
But I at least know now that there are some obvious drawbacks of it.

Maybe someone else could present a better argument or two in the thought's favour?

agent-Achika

agent-Achika

Nobody can be uncheered

Hmmm interesting outcome!

if you have your own car you make your own schedule or not and don't have to follow a scheduled time and destination and that's just much better.. imho of course

agent-Achika

agent-Achika

Nobody can be uncheered

IKR............ :)

Here's an interesting site: http://moralmachine.mit.edu/
The moral dilemmas that ai cars would have to face one day.
Share your results, you'll have to try a few times till you get an ok result, because the tries are just 13. Here are mine:
http://moralmachine.mit.edu/results/1856292583
Feel free to criticise my choices :p

The car is very convenient, at one time I could not go on public transport at all, since it was long enough and not always convenient, sometimes I even preferred to walk, but still mostly preferred a taxi, for quick and high-quality movement. Recently I bought myself a car and realized that when you have your own transport vehicle, then you do not depend on someone in any way and it is as convenient as possible, I made my dream come true, but before I bought it, I was looking for quality transportation for a long time to transport your baby to me from Canada and wondered: "how to transport a car?", came across very high-quality transportation here and was as pleased as possible with how the guys did their job. Don't be afraid to buy a car, this is your comfort zone and needs to be expanded.

agent-Achika

agent-Achika

Nobody can be uncheered

@Zize55
Congrats on having your very own car.
Does your car have a stick shift transmission or automatic transmission?
Which do U prefer & why?

in the event that you scorn vehicles and need to take the transport, a bike, or vehicle pool, at that point take the plunge. it's not slaughtering the climate not the slightest bit. transports are similarly as deadly to the climate as a vehicle seems to be, and it takes more energy to make transports, cross breeds, electric vehicles... what's more, I'm not in any event, going to begin with the threats of these new self driving vehicles, those aren't prepared to deliver. not every person goes to work in an office, how might individuals with yard cutters, a month of goods, or those on braces enter a transport? what of the older, administration canines... as some transports are now prepared to deal with wheel seat people, what of the individuals who have ailments? I'll stay with my vehicle pool fun from family or my own vehicle, and I'll ride around on my lawnmower to appreciate the cutting. the individuals who need to think they are sparing the climate by taking another technique at that point more capacity to them. starting at right now there isn't anything amiss with what society has been accomplishing for over an age now.

I hate cars too. Especially repairing their parts. They are expensive and hard to get. Last time when I had to repair my car I couldn't even get it's parts at last i got them at autozone.

Quote by blokorarisin the event that you scorn vehicles and need to take the transport, a bike, or vehicle pool, at that point take the plunge. it's not slaughtering the climate not the slightest bit. transports are similarly as deadly to the climate as a vehicle seems to be, and it takes more energy to make transports, cross breeds, electric vehicles... what's more, I'm not in any event, going to begin with the threats of these new self driving vehicles, those aren't prepared to deliver. not every person goes to work in an office, how might individuals with yard cutters, a month of goods, or those on braces enter a transport? what of the older, administration canines... as some transports are now prepared to deal with wheel seat people, what of the individuals who have ailments? I'll stay with my vehicle pool fun from family or my own vehicle, and I'll ride around on my lawnmower to appreciate the cutting. the individuals who need to think they are sparing the climate by taking another technique at that point more capacity to them. starting at right now there isn't anything amiss with what society has been accomplishing for over an age now.

But as per as I have hear electric vehicle catches fire

page 1 of 1 20 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.