Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Gamma Ramp [Vote please] ^^ - Minitokyo

Gamma Ramp [Vote please] ^^

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 27 total items

KorganoS

KorganoS

Busy atm ^_^;;

http://img11.exs.cx/img11/1636/gamma8wg.th.jpg
okay, first, download the super small jpg file above and view it full-screen. Please do not use Image-editing programs to open it, such as Photoshop, CorelDraw, etc. Just use your Internet Explorer or ACDSee or other internal thumbnail viewer (and please do not modify the gamma option in your software.. if you do, then set it to default values before viewing)

Then, choose one row that you think is the most suitable gamma ramp for your monitor or eyes ^^. How to decide? Simple enough, each row is made of ten thumbnails, each are different shades of black (but in an orderly difference, which is 10% decrement from the leftmost box). Choose one row that has the most evenly distributed shades of black. Another way to decide is to compare the first two boxes, if you can distinguish them clearly, then it's the right ramp, but please choose the darkest possible row.

Why? Because the correct brightness setting will help the wallers (including myself) to make wallpapers with the right gamma to suit your desktop well. Different monitors and eyes have different gamma ramp/gamut, so by conducting this little research I hope my next wallpapers are not going to be too bright/too dark, and I hope this can be a reference for other wallers also.

Pardon my crappy English. And I will conduct the color calibration ramp sometime soon.
Ciao!

edit : please mention your monitor make and model, if possible ^^
and I might update the image because I found out that the 3rd and 4th row has a very steep difference (about 12.5%) :\ dunno why.... (damn Corel!)
gah I'm in office now so it's not possible to update... I'll get to this soon after I get home... >.<

http://img11.exs.cx/img11/1636/gamma8wg.jpg <-- for you who can't open the file by clicking on the thumbnail, some browsers experience this so just in case.. ^_^'

For HQ anime pieces of art
visit : [FRAGMENTS] - www.crash.inweb.dk

jackalx66

jackalx66

Blau Mond

lol korgie
just testing my gamma radiation ^^
my test
is
always that range ^^
and never lower than it
higher maybe ^^'
and just help other waller yeah XD
and what i think ppl do love the middle range :\
(and u can calibrate it with adobe gamma tool )

anyway , thx for make this thread XD
(ps: what about our project and silverray event ? ^^')

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

charaznableamurorei

charaznableamurorei

patron saint of doujinshi

I learned new things today from you, KorganoS-sempai! (hehe...^_^) I'm so happy to be of service to you.

edited:
it's 4 for me, KorganoS-friend... on an LG Flatron L1710S (flat panel) monitor, hehe, I had to secretly look at the monitor's back... exact model number is LB700G - GD... not mine, the office's.... opps, here comes my boss, ja ne!

Signature Image
Sig crafted by Yune of the MTSign-AvCrew! Based on artwork by Keough! Vamonos, MT artistes!

Jormungand

Jormungand

That guy with no signature image

ooooo...I didn't know such test exist >_<
anyhoo, mine is 4 ^___^

r33an

*Assasin*

mine is 5 ^_^
so remember that.... :D

Signature

exentric

exentric

Plain Lazy

mine is 4
this thing can really help wallers wall~
coz some ppl complains its bright whereas some said its fine
so something like is pretty usefull. ^_^

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Hm... I was kinda having a fight between 4 and a bit of 5 but I noticed how many different distinguishable shades could be seen on 4

Therefore - 4 is the magic number here KorganoS - whew, what an eye-popper - lol ^^

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

MyrrhLynn

MyrrhLynn

Bishounen Fangirl

Mine is 5 :D My monitor is by Sony, but it's a really old sucker (I stole it from my Dad's Windows 95 computer) ^^ It's a flat monitor (not a flat panel!) so I don't get much glare. I have no idea what the model is. XD

I suppose this could be helpful for wallers... Hehe, but I LIKE blinding people with bright walls. :P XD

ultimaslair

ultimaslair

Alien from Inner Cabinet

Four. If you need, my monitor is labeled Dell, but actually from Nokia. It's their new line of flat screens. I don't have the exact model number...but its 20" wirh the new 12 ms response time.

Ritalin

Ritalin

Rawrz.

4 looks the best to me.

My monitor - NEC MultiSync fe991sb CRT, it's a 19" flatscreen (not flatpanel :p)

Caffeinated Dreams
outrageously caffeinated weblog.

IRC--express--Twilight Whispers-

d611691

back

Mine is four. My monitor is 17", philips 107s. My computer is renew this year, except the monitor, it's seven years old. :sweat:

And I learn one thing, gamma ramp. XD Thanks. :D

Rex

Rex

Fafner Pilot

wa........this would really help no? lol

great idea kayS!

Frosty

Frosty

: One Luv :

hmmm... somwhere between 4 & 5 "not sure I did it right"
My monitor is iiyama CRT 21" flatscreen. "really wana get it upgrade to flat panel through." XD

Signature

Quote by Frostyhmmm... somwhere between 4 &amp; 5 "not sure I did it right"

Same here, on LG 19" Flatron f900b . Black looks only good if it's really black ^^.

gundex

gundex

- Gundam Freak -

ho ho nice test here korgy-san... mine is Philips 107x4 and umm choosing the darkest row as posible... my row is 7... yes even in the 7th row i'm still can see the difference between 1st and 2nd box... well maybe my monitor setting is way too bright... :)

-- \"It\'s because there\'s something i can protect only by fighting.\" Kira Yamato --

Signature

Vhea

Vhea

ey ey! there!

4 is for me ^^. It have more color balance

my monitor is mitsubishi diamond scan 52. 15"

heya, lol, interesting research... anyway, 4 works best for me, maybe a lil bit leaning on the 5 side... but 4 works best. well, have fun and good luck!

Riana

Riana

Kaitou Ash

Row 3 for me. And I run a HP Pavillion ze4540 laptop.

tecnophreak

tecnophreak

retired user

4 for me too. I havea KDS Usa flat scree monitor .

Signature

walkure245

walkure245

MagiBlue

I have to say either 4 or 5 but I prefer 4 since there are a variety of shading.
My monitor is a Compaq fs7750 color monitor & model number: pe1160. Hopes that's right~

Signature
Created by my best friend, Kitten

Definitely 4, and my monitor is a starlogic flat panel monitor...I don't know the exact model though.

Signature Image
Renji is teh smex! ^ My newest work.

shirahana

white flower

row 3 for me ^^;

And um... what type of monitor? ^_^' I don't know...

Signature Image Layouts, wallpapers, avatars, templates, brushes, and tutorials for you ^-^;

. . . I express myself. Do you?

biriwilg

Retired Moderator

biriwilg

+indie mod+

I'm interested to know how to use the results, once they're in. It seems like row 4 is the most common; so, how do I make walls using that knowledge? Is there some way to adjust my monitor or Photoshop settings to reflect this?

Very interesting idea, by the way, I think this will be very handy. ^^

KorganoS

KorganoS

Busy atm ^_^;;

Quote by biriwilgI'm interested to know how to use the results, once they're in. It seems like row 4 is the most common; so, how do I make walls using that knowledge? Is there some way to adjust my monitor or Photoshop settings to reflect this?
Very interesting idea, by the way, I think this will be very handy. ^^

sorry for the late reply ^_^'
actually this thread serves 3 purposes :
1. Manual gamma calibration
2. gamma comparation
3. Reference gamma

(1) Manual gamma calibration
- Pick the number you want,... usually you should pick the number most voted by other ppl... in this case, four (4)
- view the image full screen
- adjust your monitor until the leftmost box in the 4th row is a darkest possible shade of black
- adjust your monitor until the rightmost box in the 4th row is a brightest possible shade of white
- try to adjust your monitor to make the shades in the 4th row as evenly distributed as possible...
- as a result, your monitor is calibrated to the same gamma with most other ppl have... that way your walls will not be too bright/dark

(2) Gamma comparation
when you think other ppl submit a wall that is too dark/too bright you can :
- compare your gamma and that person's gamma
- give a precise advice on reducing/increasing his wall's brightness (you can give precise advice in percents, because each of the boxes in my gamma image is differentiated by 10% each...)

(3) Gamma reference
- you can see how dark/bright other ppl's monitors/systems are...
- you can give advice on setting the right gamma for that person...
- ppl can refer to this gamma reference to find the most suitable gamma ramp to make the walls/images they have downloaded from here to suit their desktop well... (who wants wallies that are too bright/too dark anyways.... and most of the time, it's not the author's fault)

For HQ anime pieces of art
visit : [FRAGMENTS] - www.crash.inweb.dk

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 27 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.