Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 otaku´s internet dark era - Minitokyo

otaku´s internet dark era

page 1 of 1 11 total items

minakomel

minakomel

not present at times

these last days, I' ve been talking to some members here in MT about the possibilty of downloadable anime stuff to be completely un-reachable for normal otakus (those who don' t have money to buy them ;_; like me buu)....even scans can some day be un-reachable...

those who are otakus since the beggining of internet understand how bad this may be...there was a dark era for us otakus...1996-1997...the beggining of fan sites...where all we could aim for were 72DPI images in GIF format and MIDI (midi was MP3 for me before ^^)

would a dark era, such like 1997 come back if legal regulations on the internet kick-in??? ( this thread was inspired in Nuriko' s Media Factory stuff removal thread)

DianKibou

DianKibou

The inflatable Dragon God

I like it to buy anime but I can't get the new anime in Germany *sniff* My town have a dark era for years now because I can get only some manga and no more. Well I download some episodes with girls and inflatables from the anime and then I buy the anime on DVD and delete the episodes because DVDs have great quality and extra :)

It's a interesting question minakomel and I think it would a dark era come back if legal regulations on the internet kick-in because they forbid all the things for us otaku's :(

Signature

zephiris26

zephiris26

Vector Addict [TM]

I really think it's hilarious how people think they can police the internet. :nya:

hikarujm

hikarujm

FFVII's Fan

Quote by zephiris26I really think it's hilarious how people think they can police the internet. :nya:

I agree... the internet can't be fully regulated... maybe the mediums are going to change, new (more underground) ways to sharing info are going to come, so I don't really think we're going to be back to that era :D

Quote by zephiris26I really think it's hilarious how people think they can police the internet. :nya:

I agree but people will keep trying no matter how much time and money they waste.

I think the internet dark era is here, not just for otaku's but for every one.

Signature

andiyar

andiyar

wordsmith

Various organisations like the riaa, MPAA etc. will continue trying to stop such technologies as Bittorrent from being used, for reasons of copyright and whatnot. At the same time, newer, encrypted, more anonymous technologies (probably) will continue to be developed. Than the companies will try to stop those, new ones will be developed, etc, etc.

Until such a point as all of the internet server and client machines are under the direct control of such corporations, policing the 'net is realistically impossible.

On the buying front, I tend to download an episode or two to see whether or not I'll like the show. If so, I buy it. If not, it tends to languish on a backup dvd/hdd until I get around to watching it again, and reassess it. If I ever do.

I buy almost all of the anime I watch. Simply because I only sample anime I think I'll like. Whether or not it is released here in Australia, I can still import from the US, if I don't feel like waiting.

All good. :)

-Andiyar

"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

broq

broq

deux ex artificium

The end is comming! or not... (Y2k dejavú :D )

I think things will get worst; the mail from Media Factory Inc. to animesuki (animesuki! yes that bunch of pu**ys) asking for the removal their series may be an example to other jap. companies to also do it. Not only that. I fear that in the future some companies such as ADV might pressure japanese anime companies to do something like MFI did.

Quote by andiyarI buy almost all of the anime I watch. Simply because I only sample anime I think I'll like. Whether or not it is released here in Australia, I can still import from the US, if I don't feel like waiting.
All good. :)-Andiyar

Thats good andiyar, really I would do the same. But, yes but, not all the otakus live in th US or/and have the kind of money. Here, on Gilligan's island (:p), shipping cost are almost 100-150% of the original cost. Mentioning minakol: "Th4t 5ucks da b1g one!!!11"; you said it, girl.

Well. its better to get used to download anime in the undeground.

AH-Zeruel

AH-Zeruel

Bishounen Angel Hunter

i hope anime sharing wont come to an end, its true that most otakus doesnt have the money to buy every anime they like, i hope tat necesity would bring anime to our hands even if legal restrictions are in use.
i place my bet on new tecnology to go around global restrictions.
and its true that DVD's are better than downloaded anime, and companies must know that the market that downloadable anime reach is not market they could profit for, because in most of those countries, like mine, have no anime licensing.

Go Then- Said the Angel -And Leave This World to Those Who Trully Care-
Signature

..::Hispanime::.. El acento que faltaba .. . .. ..::Wallpaper Critique Club::.. Start of a New Journey
..::Ecchi-Club::.. Proud member :')

I just don't understand why companies can't see that media sharing actually helps them sell thier products. Not to mention the people who 'only' download and not buy the DVDs are the people who wouldn't purchase them anyway. So where is the loss? As it is, the internet gives a great many people to sample a series as yet unlicenced and build an interest. So when it does finally come out (about a year later) it will all ready have a big enough fan base to buy thier product.

If you think about it, it's not so different from airing a show on TV. Sure the companies don't get the advertising dollars, but they do get the exposer.

Until the day when every single anime that airs in Japan, also airs in every country around the world, or released on DVD at the same time..... there will be a need for internet fan distrobution.

andiyar

andiyar

wordsmith

Quote by broq
Thats good andiyar, really I would do the same. But, yes but, not all
the otakus live in th US or/and have the kind of money. Here, on
Gilligan's island (:p), shipping cost are almost 100-150% of the
original cost.

Heh, it does tend to get to be expensive. But then, I do download a lot of miscellaneous stuff and whatnot... for instance, after I did my recent backups and put all my fansubbed series together (that I don't have on proper dvds) I think I was sitting at around 120gb of fansubbed anime. A great deal of which I hadn't watched. Much of it I still haven't.

A case in point here is the anime Madlax. I fell in love with Noir when I bought it (I saw two episodes first) and as Madlax was also by BeeTrain, I decided to watch it all as it came out. So I downloaded it, week after week on my old dialup connection - until ADV announced their license the weekend before episode twenty six. Then? Some fan groups released a semi-dodgy translation of the show. A mate of mine downloaded a decent raw of the episode, I spent a chunk of time actually rewriting the subtitles into english and trying to make sense of it - I might not be right, but it still made sense - and then my mate encoded it with subtitles. Now, I have every intention of buying Madlax as it comes out here in Australia - might even import it if the delays are large. However, I wasn't going to wait a good three years to see the conclusion of the show. The same thing is going to happen with Ah! My Goddess TV and AIR TV, very shortly. :)

My main issue with downloading is the downloading of already released shows - and specifically, of dvd rips of those shows. Simply because in terms of fansubs, they're not perfect, they're realistically meant as a sampler. But taking the actual DVD and ripping it/distributing it... well, it gripes sometimes.

Doesn't mean I won't occasionally download the ripped episode as a sampler though. Ah, the maze of moral contradiction that is I. Still, I worked out the value of my anime collection a while back - I think I'm sitting at a bit over $2000 AUD in terms of purchased DVDs... probably around the $1700 USD mark at the moment. I do my part. A little too much, perhaps. ^_^

-Andiyar

"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

ahhh, a net user from the days of old.....
i dont think dark era is the right word, maybe recession. as pressure builds around piracy, there are bound to be people to stop. but as long as there is anime being made, and an internet being used, there will be anime on it. wether we have to lurk news groups and IRC rooms to find freshly fansubed anime, or wether we can go to sites like suprnova(shut down) and animesuki, will, im sure, fluctuate. but its always going to be here.
but for those of us who have been here 10+years, and will be here another 10, there is always going to be anime on the net. and, im sure as MP3 and divx, and the move to broader bands have shown, its going to just be more accesible,

page 1 of 1 11 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.