Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Who here knows some Latin? - Minitokyo

Who here knows some Latin?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 26 total items

Diaphanus

Usor Linguae Latinae

I know that TemplarKnight knows Latin, but I was wondering whether anyone else does.

Lingua latina tibi placet?

Some people around here might have already guessed that I'm very fond of the language. In fact, my username is Latin. The words in my signature picture are Latin. I even came up with Latin translations of anime-related terms:

- anime: animeum
- bisho~jo: bella puella
- etchi: impudicus
- hentai: cinaedus
- hime: principissa
- kakkoii: lepidus
- maho~: magia
- maho~tsuki: magus
- maid: ancilla
- manga: manga
- megami: dea
- meganekko: perspicillata
- miko: sacerdotissa
- Nihongo: lingua Iaponica
- otaku: fanaticus
- sensei: magister
- sho~jo: puella
- tomodachi: amicus
- yume: somnium

Anyway, some of you probably already saw the Latin on the Chartae Ministrales from Negima. Chisame's card is one of my favorites. You can find scans of the cards in Nuriko's gallery. If anyone wants me explain what the Latin words on the cards mean, I can do that.

Diaphanus sum. Usor Linguae Latinae (User of the Latin Language).
Signature

lensterknight

lensterknight

Ah, the leeching.

I've studied Latin a little, a year ago.

It was rather basic, but it helped me a bit to develop my skill on Portuguese (my native language). But I have some loose plans of resuming the studies. It's interesting, no doubt.

Queen-Of-The-Damned

Queen-Of-The-Damned

+Tormented soul of the undead+

I took a class on latin in 7th grade but I quit in 8th & started art.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

TemplarKnight

DVAE FACIES

Hmmmm it quite rare for you to post threads on forums you know that.

You should do it more often my friend. :)

Anyways, i dont really think there will be many people that like it though. I mean the language is sometimes difficult and frustrating. I sometimes get pissed off at the langauge , because of this not many people stick around to learn it. I mean i can understand how they feel.

The only reason it sticked around for it was to learn how to read the letter sent by Saint Bernard of Clairvaux to Templar Grandmaster Hugh De Payns. Also Known as " In Praise of the New Knighthood. " Also liked reading about knights and shit. So you can find Latin on some of the medieval arts and texts.

Its pretty easy to learn if u are already fluent in a romance language such as French , Italian , Spanish, or Portugese. I can see why because they're quite similiar.

Spanish : Mundo- World Latin: Mundus-world
French: Dieu- God ( Medieval French , think they changed it?) Latin: Deus-God

Noctum

Noctum

.:Dark Lord:.

I had Latin in school, but since we only read and wrote Latin, but never really spoke it, I didn't like learning it (Latin was treated too much like a dead language).

On the other hand, it's a good way to make things sound more mysterious by using its Latin name. My nickname is Latin, for example.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

i dont know any Latin, but if i were to learn latin would it get me some girls ;P?

Sock lovers unite love for the reason of 2.0 wootzor!!!!

TemplarKnight

DVAE FACIES

Quote by NoctumI had Latin in school, but since we only read and wrote Latin, but never really spoke it, I didn't like learning it (Latin was treated too much like a dead language).
On the other hand, it's a good way to make things sound more mysterious by using its Latin name. My nickname is Latin, for example.

Yeah its a shame people treat it like a dead language. I mean English derives most of itd words from Latin. When people say that they dont realize they are speaking Latin indirectly.

" Carpe Noctum " Seize the night

Hey Lolz , if u learn latin maybe u can get some of the nun chicks down in Vatican city.

:P

Diaphanus

Usor Linguae Latinae

Quote by TemplarKnightYeah its a shame people treat it like a dead language. I mean English
derives most of itd words from Latin.

I treat it as a living-dead language. :D It's "dead" in the sense that nobody learns it as a first language, but people are still using it.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that 80% of scholarly English words are somehow derived from Latin. :D

Have you seen some of the Neo-Latin terms out there?

- Bikini: vesticula balnearis Bikiniana
- Boy scout: puer explorator
- Hot dog: pastillum botello fartum
- Potato chips: globuli solaniani
- Rush hour: tempus maximae frequentiae
- Videocassette: sonorarum visualiumque taeniarum cistellula
- Weapons of mass destruction: universalis destructionis armamenta

Hee! :D

Quote by TemplarKnight" Carpe Noctum " Seize the night

That should be "Carpe Noctem" (nox, noctis).

There is the Lexicon Recentis Latinitatis, which is a dictionary of recent Latin terms. :D

Here are some of my favorite Latin resources:

- Dictionary of Botanical Epithets

- Glossarium Philosophicum

- LEXICON recentioris LATINITATIS

- Latinitas Recens

- Latin Dictionary at Perseus

Signature

ni-chan

ni-chan

^ Broken Wings ^

I don't actually know latin but i've studied french and i know spanish...and sometimes you can see what the latin word means 'cause there a bit similiar.... and as said a lot of words derive from latin

I wish that I could take a journey through your mind

Signature Image

[Hispanime]

Sicaria

guild scion

I luv latin but unfortunately I don't know nearly as much I'd like (was never taught in school-_-). I plan on learning it one day tho; I tried teaching it to myself once but that didn't go very far, latin/english dictionaries are only so reliable ^_^'. Actually, my name-Sicaria- is just a variation of sicarius, which is assassin. I also know a couple of phrases like "cogito ergo sum" and "memento mori" but not much else -_-.

My only comfort is the night gone black...

Diaphanus

Usor Linguae Latinae

Quote by SicariaActually, my name-Sicaria- is just a variation of sicarius, which is assassin.

Sicaria is the feminine form of sicarius. :D

Anyway, I like to create my own Latin words:

- antemnicoma [antemn(a) + i + com(a) + us/a/um], adjective, "antenna-haired," epithet for Naru Narusegawa from Love Hina

- botulicoma [botul(us) + i + com(a) + us/a/um], adjective, "sausage-haired," epithet for Shiho Munakata from My-HiME

- cuniculicoma [cunicul(is) + i + com(a) + us/a/um], adjective, "rabbit-haired," epithet for Misha from Pita-Ten

- terebricoma [terebr(a) + i + com(a) + us/a/um], adjective, "drill/auger-haired," epithet for Toko Matsudaira from Maria-sama ga Miteru

Signature

TemplarKnight

DVAE FACIES

Hey , what got u interested in the Language in the first place anyways? You havent really elaborated on that.

Cur haec lingua? Graecus bonus etiam est.( Why this language? Greek is also good. )

Diaphanus

Usor Linguae Latinae

Felicem Christi Natalem tibi exopto! (I wish you a merry Christmas!)

Quote by TemplarKnightHey , what got u interested in the Language in the first place anyways? You havent really elaborated on that.
Cur haec lingua? Graecus bonus etiam est.( Why this language? Greek is also good. )

Well, I like ancient language in general. In fact, I intend to be a professor in Egyptology soon. Look at my title!

As for why specifically Latin, there are some reasons:

- I find it challenging (it has an extensive flectional system -- if you're going to learn to read Latin, you have to learn the various forms of Latin words that mean "my," for instance)

- I enjoy listening and reading medieval Latin hymns and poems

- Latin was the language that I studied for the language requirement of my Classical Civilizations major at UWM

- I like Latin literature (stuff by Ovid really interests me)

- After I studied Latin, I began to have a better understanding of my own language and grammatical terms (that makes Japanese and ancient Egyptian easier to learn)

- After I studied Latin, I realized that I had a more copious (heh) vocabulary

- Those Neo-Latin phrases amuse me

Signature

TemplarKnight

DVAE FACIES

Well , the guys who spoke Latin back then , a.k.a. Romans , were the people to bring Egyptian culture to its demise.

Your speaking the " barbaric " langauge as Cleopatra Ptolemy says. :P

Diaphanus

Usor Linguae Latinae

Quote by TemplarKnightWell , the guys who spoke Latin back then , a.k.a. Romans , were the people to bring Egyptian culture to its demise.

I tend to like the language more than the people. :D The Romans weren't too bad to the Egyptians until, well, later, I think.

Quote by TemplarKnightYour speaking the " barbaric " langauge as Cleopatra Ptolemy says. :P

Yeah, Latin seems to be a little rougher than Cleopatra's Greek, sed quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. The Greeks and Latins did tend to look down upon people such as the native Egyptians...

I thought people would be interested to see my English translations of the Chartae Ministrales from Negima: conexus.

Oh, I have my Avatara Puellarum Bellularum (Avatars of the Cuties) gallery. Basically, it shows avatars of some of the female fictional characters and female people from history I like. Most of the females are from anime or in the "anime style." Yes, their two-word titles are in Latin. :D TemplarKnight, see how many of the titles you can read! My favorite avatar is the Miles Falcifera one. I'd be surprised if someone (besides me) could recognize all 40 of the females...

Signature

never had even a single minute of latin lessons. i chose to learn french instead (if you still have a choice between french and *anything* else: don't do french *yuck*). just picked up a few phrases from the asterix comics

Vetus

Vetus

Lonely Rolling Star

Latin was one og my favourite subjects in High School. Unfortunately, I don't remember so much latin words, so I have to buy a latin vocabulary someday.

Btw, my nickname is latin. It means "old". You see, my last name is "Paleos", which is translated as "Old" in english. Yeah, yeah! When I was going to school, they were always making fun of my last name, but I wasn't caring at all.

What is "normal", anyway? If you aren't troubling the rest of the world, then there's no harm in being abnormal.

Lord_Tensai_III

A Gentleman and a Scholar

I have taken latin. Unfortunatly for me, my teacher seemed to be Lucifer herself and quicky squeezed out any joy that I might have found in the language. But I still use Latin in stories and stuff like that. Besides, we never spoke it. The only phrase I still remember from my Latin days are "Britannica insula est" and I've never found the time to forget it.

Diaphanus

Usor Linguae Latinae

My Avatara Puellarum Bellularum (Avatars of the Cuties) gallery now has a Nomina et Tituli Puellarum Bellularum (The Names and the Titles of the Cuties) list.

A person who calls himself Fencedude (The Lair of the Diclonius... watch out for spoilers) came up with English titles for several of the characters in My-HiME:

- Mai of the Dancing Flame
- Natsuki the Frozen Princess
- Mikoto of the Infinite Void
- Midori of the Fierce Wind
- Nao of the Beckoning Web
- Akane of the Gentle Breeze
- Akira the Ninja of Shadows
- Yukariko of Pure Light
- Yukino the All Seeing Eye
- Alyssa the Golden Tyrant

Well, I decided to translate those titles into Latin:

- Mai Flammae Saltantis
- Natsuki Principissa Gelata
- Mikoto Vacui Infiniti
- Midori Venti Ferocis
- Nao Aranei Nicentis
- Akane Ventuli Clementis
- Akira Ninja Umbrarum
- Yukariko Lucis Purae
- Yukino Oculus Omnituens
- Alyssa Tyranna Aurea

Yeah, Ninja is in the Latin translations. Latin purists might object to that. I didn't want to use sicaria, though.

Quote by Lord_Tensai_IIIThe only phrase I still remember from my Latin days are "Britannica insula est" and I've never found the time to forget it.

That's an interesting phrase!

Signature

blu

blu

Lone wolf assassin

hm... i got some basic latin for a year at school too....
dont remember much now... :/
the only thing i can say is probably:
Non timetis messor. ;)

Firefox is teh br0wser to use? Join ForceFirefox!

Proud member of:
Onetea
Inoue Kikuko
Love Hina Fanclub
Miyazaki Fanclub
loners

Still using IE?
Switch to a browser you can trust! Download Firefox!

Diaphanus

Usor Linguae Latinae

I made some more avatars that show Latin phrases:

http://img100.exs.cx/img100/2520/amai0zb.jpg
http://img100.exs.cx/img100/5479/aakira7em.jpg
http://img100.exs.cx/img100/7223/amint2ig.jpg
http://img100.exs.cx/img100/4328/ashia7jv.jpg
http://img100.exs.cx/img100/9486/achidori9sl.jpg
http://img100.exs.cx/img100/6271/achikane4ri.jpg
http://img100.exs.cx/img100/5159/aciel5nt.jpg
http://img100.exs.cx/img100/9480/aforte1rz.jpg
http://img100.exs.cx/img100/3203/amilfeulle0zh.jpg
http://img100.exs.cx/img100/1960/askuld4rw.jpg
http://img151.exs.cx/img151/3660/aarcueid5aq.jpg
http://img148.exs.cx/img148/7717/akaoru0id.jpg

:D

Signature

i had to take a latin class during 6th grade. god what a waste of time it was. no one learned or cared since it was a one year class about a language we would never use unless you became an historian or something.

Signature

"Give the man a gun, he's Superman; Give him two, he's God." -- Police Commisioner from Hard Boiled

I love languages and etymology :nya: but haven't had the chance to take Latin yet. My sister is taking it and I've gleaned a little from trying to help her study and translate.

Diaphanus

Usor Linguae Latinae

Here is a site that shows many of my avatars:

http://www.absoludicrous.net/antares7/latin/girl-avatars.html

If there are any questions about the Latin phrases, I'll be glad to answer them.

Signature

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 26 total items

Back to Off-topic Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.