Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Duping threads - Minitokyo

Duping threads

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 44 total items

streamside

streamside

deranged.

well, i think that old threads should be deleted, and i mean, really old ones, like, those that have been inactive for, like, 6 months or so... it just adds to the clutter...

--however, that is just from a personal standpoint... >.<

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao Tzu

"A journey of a thousand miles...
is better in a car."

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

As some of you have noticed, I've been trying my best giving people friendly reminders on the forums to use the search tool when they post duplicate threads. It's an incredibly tiring task, and it doesn't seem to do all that much to stem the tide of dupe posts made by newbies, many of whom explicitly state that they're just trying to get to level 10. . . *sigh*

But thanks so much to all of you who have been giving me words of encouragement! Though my efforts might be in vain, at least I tried and am trying to do what little I can to curb this problem.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

Now that you mention it, deleting old threads would probably affect some peoples levels as well. Best to leave it alone, I doubt the forum is using much of the site's resources compared to the gallery areas.

btw, wasn't there already a thread about this? *g*

opps...i will try to use the searc feature to keep this nice site more claen and organized!!!!!!in that way we all won rigth???????????????? :nya: :nya: :nya: :nya: :nya:

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Quote by streamsidewell, i think that old threads should be deleted, and i mean, really
old ones, like, those that have been inactive for, like, 6 months or
so... it just adds to the clutter...
--however, that is just from a personal standpoint... &gt;.&lt;

Disagree with that point, of course.
<And obviously the new people won't look here often because they don't have a clue.>

Quote by ohmygoshainuyashahmmm... well... It takes time to search. The same topic could be under
a different name, and the same name could be a different topic. Its too
confusing and threads that are the same are unavoidable.

There are ways to get around this, actually.
Nearly 85% of the time, if you come up with an idea, it's probably already mentioned in another thread in the first place - so duping it is highly likely.
When in doubt, even in search, don't think about posting it up in the first place.

And the search function is not that hard, really. Look for key words and synonyms, of course.

Quote by shinsengumiAs some of you have noticed, I've been trying my best giving people
friendly reminders on the forums to use the search tool when they post
duplicate threads. It's an incredibly tiring task, and it doesn't seem
to do all that much to stem the tide of dupe posts made by newbies,
many of whom explicitly state that they're just trying to get to level
10. . . *sigh*
But thanks so much to all of you who have been giving me words of
encouragement! Though my efforts might be in vain, at least I tried and
am trying to do what little I can to curb this problem.

Saw your other suggestion, and I like your idea - restrict new users from posting so many threads in 1 day. Highly typical of course - also prevents them from spamming to reach Level 10 - if that was their intention.

Plus, people are getting sick and tired of seeing duped threads everyday from new members. Ask afan - he's one of 'em alright.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

yea i'm kind of tired of seeing them friggen duped threads. It's annoying as all hell. But then again you can't blame them because what exactly are you gonna search for? i mean it's not like they're going to have the same exact title so they can't just go around searching for that title ya know.

But i do agree with ya and people should search around before they post a thread. ya know.

Signature

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Quote by CelessaSaw your other suggestion, and I like your idea - restrict new users from posting so many threads in 1 day. Highly typical of course - also prevents them from spamming to reach Level 10 - if that was their intention.

Oh, good. . . I'm not alone. Everyone. . . feel free to comment on that thread. . . with more support, the mods may consider it more seriously ( http://forum.minitokyo.net/showthread/11790/ ).

Also if you can think of any commonly-duped threads that aren't on my list ( http://forum.minitokyo.net/showthread/11129/ ), please do send me a message or post on that thread so I can edit the list accordingly.

Thanks all!

s h i n s e n g u m i

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

Quote by shinsengumi

Quote by Chopstickzthe only problem ive noticed is people confused over if duping a thread thats been inactive for a long time is okay...

Exactly. . . especially threads that have been inactive for weeks that have multiple pages, where new and old discussion may not mesh well together for any number of reasons.

Exactly! nobody wants to revive a 5wk old poll! Start a new one! Jeez...

Defender of the Misunderstood

Keltosh

Retired Moderator

Keltosh

Inquisitor on hiatus

A thread has a reason to be made anew only if something changed since it has benn posted first. A duplicate thread will not be tolerated if it doesn't add anything significative to the discussion. Else we will be spammed to death by duplicate threads. Just search for doubles and post only if your new thread add something to the discussion.

Signature
I am now on hiatus from moderating due to my thesis.
One of my favorite game ever: Mordor: The Depths Of Dejenol Community
The beautiful signature is from Biriwilg

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

I would also like to add that duplicating threads and claiming it to be different just because it has a poll in it is not a really good excuse to give at all. We all are aware that new threads are being duplicated everyday as we speak - some more than others.

I just would like to advise people that if you do find a duplicated thread, that you should report it. Not to be mean, but that is how many forums are run these days.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Remember to use the search bar on the upper right hand side of the page. To easily narrow down the search for forum topics, don't just use one word like "favorite". Other words have similar meanings like "like" or "best". Save yourself and everyone else a hell of a lot of trouble for continuing a duplicated thread.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

biriwilg

Retired Moderator

biriwilg

+indie mod+

Just a heads up for those devoted members who always report dupe threads: If a thread is a duplicate, but the original is more than several weeks old, I'll keep the dupe open. I don't like duplicate threads, but bumping up dead threads is worse. ^^

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Quote by biriwilgJust a heads up for those devoted members who always report dupe threads: If a thread is a duplicate, but the original is more than several weeks old, I'll keep the dupe open. I don't like duplicate threads, but bumping up dead threads is worse. ^^

I understand, biri, but in my opinion, when people post "what's your favorite final fantasy game" threads or anything similar that is often duplicated, if they honestly want to know people's opinions on the matter and are not just farming for responses in order to level up, they will be interested in looking through older threads on the same or similar topics, and thus I typically include them in my notification posts.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, while I drop a notification into ever duped thread I see, in general I only send a report when a particular thread has been duped in the past few weeks.

s h i n s e n g u m i

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

It may already have been said, but after skim reading, couldn't see it.

When a new thread is made, before it is actually put on the board, there is a page asking if the user has checked the search function and see if there are any existing threads. If it were possible, you could include some quick searches based on what they have called the thread and display the results for them. This may slow things down, but it might deter quick posters who just want to get their levels up. I don't mind waiting a while to post a thread if I think it is a worthwhile one.

As above, I don't know how viable this is, but it was just a thought I had when I should have been studying maths ^^;; .

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

Okay...I wanted to add another thing. When making threads, think also about what your posting.

Do you think making spam threads is making you look badass? "What do you think of before posting a thread". What kind of f***ed up thread is that?! Another retarded and useless thread called "Fun day @ some what you call it place". There are pictures of some guy and his car and says what you think of it. What is this BS?! Omfg >_>

scarletblack

scarletblack

.:When I see you again:.

Dunno if anyone has said this already... I had to skip the second page as my PC is so slow..

But this is all well and good, but what about in a long time... there will be nothing left to post O.o of course that doesn't mean i think people should go around duping like they do now.

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Quote by Aa-chanWhen a new thread is made, before it is actually put on the board, there is a page asking if the user has checked the search function and see if there are any existing threads. If it were possible, you could include some quick searches based on what they have called the thread and display the results for them. This may slow things down, but it might deter quick posters who just want to get their levels up. I don't mind waiting a while to post a thread if I think it is a worthwhile one.

Given the limitations of the Search tool as is (see the Guide to the Search Tool section in Noob Bible #2, I don't think that this is even within the realm of possibility at this point in time, though it is an interesting idea.

s h i n s e n g u m i

chip

chip

ecchi lover, linux sensei

Quote by shinsengumi... I don't think that this is even within the realm of possibility at this
point in time, though it is an interesting idea.

Actually it's not that hard at all... just break the new topic's title string into word tokens, and then iteratively grep the database for topic matches on each word, reducing to root word forms, assigning a higher weight to larger words. Then add up the scores and show hyperlinks for topics with the n highest match scores. I think it's a great idea, and I'd even offer to do it, lol :)

fuzzmegabass

fuzzmegabass

Code Ninja

I always search extensively before I start a new thread, but sometimes nothing shows up, so you think it's ok, then people start telling you you duped a thread. I can understand if people get upset for someone duping a thread on purpose, but like I said, I've accidentally started a thread that was already out there, I didn't mean to, but sometimes it happens.

Signature Image

Quote by afanThank you. Yes, why delete old threads? What's said is said. It's not like 50 ppl need to know each others' preferences on anime. Sheesh. Also, it does not take long to search, with the new server and all.

This is kind of a (4 week) late response to this, but I can kind of see the logic behind closing old threads.

Quote by biriwilgJust a heads up for those devoted members who always report dupe threads: If a thread is a duplicate, but the original is more than several weeks old, I'll keep the dupe open. I don't like duplicate threads, but bumping up dead threads is worse. ^^

That's kind of how I see things and after checking the "Everyday Life" forums, we have about 2210 threads in there. There's bound to be many duplications among those. The only things I can find irritating about duplicated threads is that they add to the clutter and we don't need two threads about the same topic. Most of the threads that have been duplicated usually are inactive and have pretty much had the conversation die out, so by deleting some of the dead threads, we're also reducing clutter and the chance of duplicated threads (since we have less total threads that can be duplicated). I know this probably won't solve the problem (like if someone's too lazy to search and there's the same thread on page 2), but I think it might help reduce the amount of them.

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 44 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.