Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Best Anime to Convince Anti-Anime Friends/Family/People!!! - Minitokyo

Best Anime to Convince Anti-Anime Friends/Family/People!!!

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 68 total items

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Quote by GaiJiNJust thought of something else : films by Satoshi Kon could convince
too, all are masterpieces, really interesting to watch and serious
enough to make anyone forget about the "childishness". ( Perfect Blue,
Millenium Actress, Tokyo Grandfathers... ) :) PS : I must disagree with
the RahXephon Movie, I don't think it's meant for ppl who haven't
watched the serie ( which I recommand of course ) >.<

Ah, yes! Thank you for reminding me of those. Indeed, they would be excellent choices. I am going to have to take your word on Tokyo Grandfathers, since I haven't seen that one yet, but I am sure it would be suitable. Although Perfect Blue may just be to far out there for some people, since it's so messed up, ha ha!!!
Oh and about RahXephon movie, your post does not disagree with my listing, since you said it for those who have not seen the series. I watched the movie before I saw the series, and I was very impressed.

Grave of the Fireflies: Still one of my top pics due to seriousness.
Kenshin OVA: I am sorry for having missed this. Obviously an excellent choice.
Jin Roh: Forgot about this one too. Also excellent due to seriousness of subject.
Vampire Hunter D (Bloodlust): It's fantasy, yes, but still portrayed in a somber manner.
Akira: Good choice for those who don't mind a little weirdness :P.
Cowboy Bebop Movie: A little sci-fi, but still serious enough for adults.
RahXephon Movie: Heavy on the sci-fi and mythology, but tackles some big philosophical ideas.
Princess Mononoke: Brings into focus the same issues we are still dealing with today.
Perfect Blue: Very bizarre, but very good for anyone liking psycho-thrillers :P.
Millenium Actress: What a great choice, action, romance, and it's so well done!
Tokyo Grandfathers: Haven't seen it myself, but hey it's Satoshi Kon!
Escaflowne Movie: Forgot about this. It's more fantasy, but the animation is first rate!

Quote by cromsbloodHmm... Well, for myself, I have had success in showing them Fumoffu,
Nozomu Eien, Trigun, Naruto, and Gungrave(started on the second
episode; makes more sense to the unfamiliar). A lot of my
ex-girlfriends previously hated anime but light shows kinda got them
started, then the heavy stuff got them hooked. Oh, and my parents
really enjoyed Jin-Roh. I might have a little advantage on that one,
though; my parents aren't your average old folks and my dad is UCLA
film school alumni, so they're open to anything good. Just make sure
you play all of them in nihongo; dubbed just doesn't have the right
feel to convince anyone.

Well, there you have it! I am not basing this guide for open minded people! Ha ha. They obviously aren't going to need a complex strategy to get them to watch anime :P.

AtomicAngel

w|red drifter

for first timers i like to stay a little more to the drama end of spectre, as the fun story is expected in most perople's minds as they think anime is just like cartoons, they also might look for some educational value as well, what they dont look for is realy quality of animeation and charactr development that live action movies have (as opposed to cartoons) and if it is based on true events (historical..etc.) or cultural...the i believe it will have more of an impact..also..tragedy portrayal or other heart grabber is a must..one title only comes to mind: Grave of The Fireflies..

At the end it depends on the personality of theo ne you are trying to convince..but i would stay away from any traces of nudity/ecchi or silly-go-lucky stuff, or ones with a lot of in-sider jokes..a dub might help but i would try to show em how its really meant to be watched ~.^

my pet is a shark

Kureboy99

Kureboy99

Escape my Constraints...

I use either Evangelion or Berserk for my guy friends and maybe Kare Kano for my female friends...

...See the Music, Feel the Music, Be the Music...

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Quote by AtomicAngelfor first timers i like to stay a little more to the drama end of
spectre, as the fun story is expected in most perople's minds as they
think anime is just like cartoons, they also might look for some
educational value as well, what they dont look for is realy quality of
animeation and charactr development that live action movies have (as
opposed to cartoons) and if it is based on true events
(historical..etc.) or cultural...the i believe it will have more of an
impact..also..tragedy portrayal or other heart grabber is a must..one
title only comes to mind: Grave of The Fireflies..
At the end it depends on the personality of theo ne you are trying to
convince..but i would stay away from any traces of nudity/ecchi or
silly-go-lucky stuff, or ones with a lot of in-sider jokes..a dub might
help but i would try to show em how its really meant to be watched ~.^

Indeed, that is exactly what I have said in my posts above.

Let em watch Naruto,Cowboy Bebop :nya: I had a friend round who had never seen Naruto, i told him about it... we watched the first 3 eps.. now his downloading the series. XP
Thats proof that Naruto (hopefully) Works!!!!

well, the day i got hooked on anime was when my friend loaned me a copy of Cowboy Bebop. the music and the artwork were terrific. and the atmosphere of the show was so down-to-earth. i loved the characters and how they were portrayed too. i would probably recommend that anime to all my friend and peers. my parents on the other hand, would probably think that its too violent. they arent too fond of guns and killing. maybe Spirited Away would do the trick.

Yours Truly,
Kandle

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Well, it would seem that most people who are posting here have not read the thread. I urge you to read at least my comments, as I summurize where the thread seems to be going at the time. Many posts keep suggesting the same anime that have already been suggested. Also, I have said many times that anime series, though there are many good ones, I am not including in this list because of their length. Hence we're sticking to movies. I would ask those who will post here to keep that in mind. Thank you.

I have also remembered some more that I think I need to add. It's easy to forget the classics :P.

Jin Roh: Forgot about this one too. Also excellent due to seriousness of subject.
Vampire Hunter D (Bloodlust): It's fantasy, yes, but still portrayed in a somber manner.
RahXephon Movie: Heavy on the sci-fi and mythology, but tackles some big philosophical ideas.
Princess Mononoke: Brings into focus the same issues we are still dealing with today.
Perfect Blue: Very bizarre, but very good for anyone liking psycho-thrillers :P.
Escaflowne Movie: Forgot about this. It's more fantasy, but the animation is first rate!
Ghost in the Shell: How can we not include this? A classic to be sure.
Ninja Scroll: And another. One of the best anime films to date if you ask me :D.

AngelzWeapon

Banana

ninja scroll worked good wif me :D an chobits too and sumthing else i cant member..................i duno i 4got >_<

Reality Is For People That Cant Handle Dreams...

markjo

markjo

a bookworm & a film buff

My sister enjoyed very much 'Omohide Poro Poro' (Only Yesterday) and since then she has watched most of my anime collection while my father is a big fan of Shin-chan Crayon series. The series has a fantastic dubbing and is almost not censored in Poland. (Finally a dubbing they didn't manage to spoil...)

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

I apologise, but I am afraid that I don't know of the anime which you have suggested, markjo. And so, I cannot make any educated comments on them, unfortunately.

LadyNorthstar

LadyNorthstar

Mad Power!

i don't have an anime, but only a manga that is miraculouse: angle Sanctuary! i've converted 6 fellas with it!

uchan

uchan

Mostly Harmless

Hmm... I infected my sister with Kiki's Delivery Service and Chihiro. She survived. Still not perfect anime fan (I will work on this!) but at least not bitchin' me with my "kiddie" stuffs ^_^;

[ My latest wallpapers: Ritsuka <-> ZERO Love v2 <-> Autumn cold night ]
[ Please visit my gallery for high quality and resolution pictures or sign my guestbook.]

Signature Image

Quote by mentisOh and about RahXephon movie, your post does not disagree with my
listing, since you said it for those who have not seen the series. I
watched the movie before I saw the series, and I was very impressed.

Dude, I know two guys who watched the movie before they saw the series, and they were very confused. Then I told them there's a series and then they realized why they were confused. Granted they weren't anime people, but not everyone's gonna get it. Akira's one that's kinda outdated. I mean, five years ago maybe, but now we have better, less convoluted material.

Speaking of which, go read the manga for Akira, 'cause it's like the greatest manga of all time and honestly puts the movie to shame. Which is only 'cause Otomo had to make a shorter story (much shorter) and decided to be more creative, but I still say the manga's better.

jtchen85

jtchen85

Moogle

My trump card is usually a good movie, since series take a while to develope(they might give up before the plot really shines). Spirited Away is a good one. Some other good choices would be Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust or Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door.

Signature

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Quote by Pandaguy87

Quote by mentisOh and about RahXephon movie, your post does not disagree
with my
listing, since you said it for those who have not seen the series. I
watched the movie before I saw the series, and I was very
impressed.

Dude, I know two guys who watched the movie before they saw the series,
and they were very confused. Then I told them there's a series and then
they realized why they were confused. Granted they weren't anime
people, but not everyone's gonna get it. Akira's one that's kinda
outdated. I mean, five years ago maybe, but now we have better, less
convoluted material.
Speaking of which, go read the manga for Akira, 'cause it's like the
greatest manga of all time and honestly puts the movie to shame. Which
is only 'cause Otomo had to make a shorter story (much shorter) and
decided to be more creative, but I still say the manga's better.

I disagree about RahXephon the Movie being confusing. I didn't think it was confusing. I guess it just depends on who's watching it. In the movie they actually outright answer many questions that they take a long time insinuating in the series. So in a way, the movie lays things out for you much more, since they have a limited time in which to make the story work. Granted the series sees a lot more character development, but the movie is still excellent.

Also, I do not believe that you can call any anime "outdated," and certainly not Akira. Though the animation may be of an earlier style, it is no more "outdated" than Blade Runner is outdated in the science fiction film genre.

Quote by jtchen85My trump card is usually a good movie, since series take a while to
develope(they might give up before the plot really shines). Spirited
Away is a good one. Some other good choices would be Vampire Hunter D:
Bloodlust or Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door.

Thank you for your suggestions, but you will notice that they are already part of the current list.

Current List of Good Choice Movies:

Ninja Scroll: And another. One of the best anime films to date if you ask me.

I got my friends into anime with Rurouni Kenshin

Ruri23

I love Ruri

Cowboy Bebop,every works from Hayako Miyazaki and Isao Takahata and some from Mamoru Oshii and Katsuhiro Otomo too!

She is my favourite!She's so lovely!!

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

I have only thought of two other movies that I would ad to this list. But it would seem that this thread has pretty much died out, and no one has thought of additional movies to add. So I guess you might Consider this to be a somewhat final list :P. ...that is, until someone things of another good suggestion.

Ninja Scroll: And another. One of the best anime films to date if you ask me :D.
Bio Hunter: Quite adult oriented with a fair amount of gore, but I liked the story and art.
Appleseed: A nice action flick with some larger questions underneath the surface.

Cowboy Bebop and Naruto.

yieloon

yieloon

#1 Slacker

kenshin ova : trust and betrayal.

I have convinced lots of friend with this anime. The story and setting is just too good even for non anime fans to appreciate it.

Signature

They say that god arranged relationships, but men created separation.

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Quote by ouaticCowboy Bebop and Naruto.

As you can see, Cowboy Bebop is already on the list. And, once again, I am not including series in this.

Quote by yieloonkenshin ova : trust and betrayal.
I have convinced lots of friend with this anime. The story and setting
is just too good even for non anime fans to appreciate it.

...and again, it's on the list :D.

yieloon

yieloon

#1 Slacker

I look through your list again, and I didnt find Read or Die ova there.

Macross Zero/ Macross Plus are also good choice. The cg/animation will impress about anyone even non anime fans.
GITS: Innocence is another good choice too.

Signature

They say that god arranged relationships, but men created separation.

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Quote by yieloonI look through your list again, and I didnt find Read or Die ova there.

Macross Zero/ Macross Plus are also good choice. The cg/animation will impress about anyone even non anime fans.
GITS: Innocence is another good choice too.

I haven't seen Read or Die OVA yet, nor have I seen gits: Innocence. But I have seen Macross, so I'll add that there. I believe I saw fragments of some ROD episodes, and I didn't realize they had an OVA :P. And, of course GITS I know needs to go on that list (dang I need to see that one!). So thank you for bringing these to my attention :D.

Here's the Updated List:

Bio Hunter: Quite adult oriented with a fair amount of gore, but I liked the story and art.
Appleseed: A nice action flick with some larger questions underneath the surface.
Macross Zero/Plus: Good story, good action, and great animation. Plus it's a classic.
Read or Die OVA: From what I've seen of the series I'd say this would be a good choice.
GITS: Innocence: Well, duh, it's Ghost in the Shell :D!!!

Nkabee

Nkabee

hi there xD

my friend converted me when she told me there was an anime about tennis, after that, i was hooked on everything lol. :) Prince of Tennis rockss!!!!

Signature

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 68 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.