Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Best Anime to Convince Anti-Anime Friends/Family/People!!! - Minitokyo

Best Anime to Convince Anti-Anime Friends/Family/People!!!

page 3 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 68 total items

when i was young, and Sailor moon was rampant on Cartoon network, that's what turned all the 12 year old boys on to anime. Because after sailor moon came DBZ. So they watched school girls in short skirts dancing around, and then saw animated guys kicking the crap out of each other. With no plot but violence, DBZ turned them on to more anime, and then they found other animes. Today, at my age now, it's harder. People have already set their ways. Usually if you mention sailor moon or DBZ, they tune in, and then you can tell/show them more.

At my college, for a project, we were taking any peice of work, and re-creating it. It just had to have realistic details. I choose a pic from chobits. In that art class, almost everyone who looked at it was like "oh is that from sailor moon or something?". However idiotic they were, as It looked nothing like a school girl, or the same colors and art style as sailor moon, they just called anything animeish "sailor moon stuff". But hey, it's what grabbed them.

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Quote by Nkabeemy friend converted me when she told me there was an anime about
tennis, after that, i was hooked on everything lol. :) Prince of Tennis
rockss!!!!

Indeed. Prince of Tennis does rock!!! He he. That's one thing that most people don't realize about anime. There is an anime about mostly anything out there, so there is an anime for just about anyone out there too :D.

Quote by EvilSp0rkwhen i was young, and Sailor moon was rampant on Cartoon network,
that's what turned all the 12 year old boys on to anime. Because after
sailor moon came DBZ. So they watched school girls in short skirts
dancing around, and then saw animated guys kicking the crap out of each
other. With no plot but violence, DBZ turned them on to more anime, and
then they found other animes. Today, at my age now, it's harder. People
have already set their ways. Usually if you mention sailor moon or DBZ,
they tune in, and then you can tell/show them more. At my college, for
a project, we were taking any peice of work, and re-creating it. It
just had to have realistic details. I choose a pic from chobits. In
that art class, almost everyone who looked at it was like "oh is that
from sailor moon or something?". However idiotic they were, as It
looked nothing like a school girl, or the same colors and art style as
sailor moon, they just called anything animeish "sailor moon stuff".
But hey, it's what grabbed them.

I see your point, though I do not entirely agree with it. I never saw Sailor Moon or DBZ before I got into anime. The first anime I saw back in the early '90s was Saber Rider and the Star Sherriffs (XD it was awesome :P). When I saw a little of DBZ years and years later I didn't care for it at all, as I did not believe it had any substance (and I still think so :P).

Furthermore, in the 5 plus years that I have done anime inspired art, which I started doing in college, no one has ever mentioned SM or DBZ in conjunction to seeing my work.

Finally, I find that both SM and DBZ serve to reinforce some (though certainly not all) of the stereotypes associated with anime, which is exactly opposite the purpose of this thread. And that is why I have made a list of what I believe to be the best anime films that prove those stereotypes to be wrong. Granted, however, I just might be biased ;).

Yeah, you seem older than me, so no wonder DBZ didn't catch your eye, you were probably past the young violent and really easily amused stage of life :d

dbz was more like...a childish plot with adult violence. But the violence was so...abnormal you knew you couldn't even begin to act like them. Thus it's a little saffer...in a way.

::clenches teeth and assumes the consitpated position for 10, 30 minute episodes::

hongrboi

hongrboi

getting pwned by school

Naruto comes on top of my list. It has humor, action, a bit of romance, and awsome plot. What more could you want? If they don't have the patience to watch a lot of episodes., I would recommend an anime movie called Voices of a Distant Star. It's a very touching 3d space/mecha romance movie. It's sure to change minds of anyone who hasn't watched anime.

"Once two star have collided and return to their orbit, the chance of colliding again is infinity small, for there are many other possible collisions."
Signature Image
Latest wall ::A Void in my Heart::

Kuka-Manga

Kuka-Manga

Anime Lover

My sis generally dislikes anime, but showing her Cowboy Bebop really turned her around. She's still resistant to anime, but I'm currently getting her interested on Read or Die.

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Quote by EvilSp0rkYeah, you seem older than me, so no wonder DBZ didn't catch your eye,
you were probably past the young violent and really easily amused stage
of life :d
dbz was more like...a childish plot with adult violence. But the
violence was so...abnormal you knew you couldn't even begin to act like
them. Thus it's a little saffer...in a way. ::clenches teeth and
assumes the consitpated position for 10, 30 minute episodes::

The first time I saw DBZ I was about 15 I think, and that was the mangas which a friend of mine had brought from Japan. I didn't really find the art style very interesting to begin with, but he also had the Super Famicom games and those were fun. When I saw the some of the anime a little later I cared even less for it.

Quote by hongrboiNaruto comes on top of my list. It has humor, action, a bit of romance,
and awsome plot. What more could you want? If they don't have the
patience to watch a lot of episodes., I would recommend an anime movie
called Voices of a Distant Star. It's a very touching 3d space/mecha
romance movie. It's sure to change minds of anyone who hasn't watched
anime.

I was not aware that Voices of a Distant Star was a film, but a series. Looks lke the ADV site only shows one DVD though, so you're right. I'll definately add that one to my list. And, had you read the thread, you would see that Naruto had been suggested a million times, and that I'm sticking with films.

Quote by Kuka-MangaMy sis generally dislikes anime, but showing her Cowboy Bebop really
turned her around. She's still resistant to anime, but I'm currently
getting her interested on Read or Die.

Once again, I'm sticking to films in this thread.

So here's the updated list thus far...

Grave of the Fireflies: Still one of my top pics due to seriousness.
Kenshin OVA: I am sorry for having missed this. Obviously an excellent choice.
Jin Roh: Forgot about this one too. Also excellent due to seriousness of subject.
Vampire Hunter D (Bloodlust): It's fantasy, yes, but still portrayed in a somber manner.
Akira: Good choice for those who don't mind a little weirdness :P.
Cowboy Bebop Movie: A little sci-fi, but still serious enough for adults.
RahXephon Movie: Heavy on the sci-fi and mythology, but tackles some big philosophical ideas.
Princess Mononoke: Brings into focus the same issues we are still dealing with today.
Perfect Blue: Very bizarre, but very good for anyone liking psycho-thrillers :P.
Millenium Actress: What a great choice, action, romance, and it's so well done!
Tokyo Grandfathers: Haven't seen it myself, but hey it's Satoshi Kon!
Escaflowne Movie: Forgot about this. It's more fantasy, but the animation is first rate!
Ghost in the Shell: How can we not include this? A classic to be sure.
Ninja Scroll: And another. One of the best anime films to date if you ask me.
Bio Hunter: Quite adult oriented with a fair amount of gore, but I liked the story and art.
Appleseed: A nice action flick with some larger questions underneath the surface.
Macross Zero/Plus: Good story, good action, and great animation. Plus it's a classic.
Read or Die OVA: From what I've seen of the series I'd say this would be a good choice.
GITS: Innocence: Well, duh, it's Ghost in the Shell!!!
Voices of a Distant Star: A beautiful romantic sci-fi film with excellent animation.

Ah megami sama! : the movie is also very good though. But a first time watcher wouldn't really understand it at many points. But that might encourage them to watch/read the series.

I used Slayers to get my sisters hooked on anime.

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Quote by EvilSp0rkAh megami sama! : the movie is also very good though. But a first time
watcher wouldn't really understand it at many points. But that might
encourage them to watch/read the series.

I wasn't really familiar with the Japanese name of Oh! My Goddess, until I googled it :P. Now, since I have not seen it I cannot judge whether it would be appropriate. Perhaps you can tell me a little more why you think this would fit into our category here.

Quote by vstrogaI used Slayers to get my sisters hooked on anime.

Slayers might be effective with it's humor, but it is still rather silly and may not work for the purposes of breaking the stereotypes associated with anime. Do they have any movie/OVA versions of Slayers?

yakushi-meikin

yakushi-meikin

:Professional Nerd:

Well, my older sisters got a chance to watch old anime like Voltes Five, Mazinger Z and Daimos (and even Astroboy!) when they were young (think 70s - 80s) so i guess i generally don't have a problem about anti-anime people in the family.Some people are easily amazed by mechas, so i guess i'll go with the previous three. Also, Voltes Five has a family issue there, so it's not purely about mecha...

Slam Dunk attracted people because girls like the guys (who wouldn't love Rukawa, Fujima, Sendoh, Mitsui?) while the guys pick up techniques from there...

Rurouni Kenshin because it is slightly related to history... plus the sword techniques, and, who won't be captured by Kenshin? :)

You're never fully dressed without a smile! ;)

Signature Image

Only in the mysterious equations of love can any real logic be found."
- A Beautiful Mind

Acknowledgements to alexiel01 for my userpage skin and signature image!

I'd have to say that I agree with the people in the Ghibli camp. It's impossible not to fall in love with Totoro ;) Whatever you do: don't show Grave of the Fireflies as a first anime... They may gain a new respect for Japanese animation, but they'll also be bummed out and depressed for the next week or so after they watch it...

I would, however, like to point out that neither Hayao Miyazaki or Isao Takahata (the two main directors at Ghibli) consider their work to be anime...

ever-ruler

ever-ruler

..: winter air :..

I doubt there is anything I can show to change my parents' opinions on anime. First of all, they've always busy everyday, they don't appreciate anime or like me liking them, and they always say I should spend more time on school and studying and not on anime. *sigh*

But for other people who have luck, animes like maybe movies by Hayao Miyazaki is alright. Or maybe some comedy, funny, and without ecchi ones, like Azumanga Daioh is alright too.

Mentis:
Ah my goddess!:the movie.
Very well done (animation wise) mixes CG with the regular old anime animation. Of course it has that girly drama, but it has good fight scenes. And a touching ending. I suggest any one watching it. It's entertaining enough. It's just not the sterotypical anime people think. It's similar to a disney movie, but i'd suggest knowing a bit more about the series eventually to fill in the holes.

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Quote by yakushi-meikinWell, my older sisters got a chance to watch old anime like Voltes
Five, Mazinger Z and Daimos (and even Astroboy!) when they were young
(think 70s - 80s) so i guess i generally don't have a problem about
anti-anime people in the family.Some people are easily amazed by
mechas, so i guess i'll go with the previous three. Also, Voltes Five
has a family issue there, so it's not purely about mecha... Slam Dunk
attracted people because girls like the guys (who wouldn't love Rukawa,
Fujima, Sendoh, Mitsui?) while the guys pick up techniques from
there... Rurouni Kenshin because it is slightly related to history...
plus the sword techniques, and, who won't be captured by Kenshin? :)

Those old animes sound interesting, but I am assuming they are series as well...? Though unfortunately that was before I got into anime and I have not actually even heard of Voltes Five, Mazinger Z, and Daimos. Nevertheless, I did get the Kenshin OVAs on my list :D.

Quote by ever-rulerI doubt there is anything I can show to change my parents' opinions on
anime. First of all, they've always busy everyday, they don't
appreciate anime or like me liking them, and they always say I should
spend more time on school and studying and not on anime. *sigh*
But for other people who have luck, animes like maybe movies by Hayao
Miyazaki is alright. Or maybe some comedy, funny, and without ecchi
ones, like Azumanga Daioh is alright too.

If you peruse the other pages of this thread you might find some advice that may change your thoughts on not being able to change yoru parents mind. Also, if you look at my list, you will find the movie Grave of the Fireflies, which I am thinking just might change your parents mind. I'm sure you can set up a time and convince your parents to give that film a chance. Just use reason and tell them to just watch this one film and if they still don't like that, then that's fine ;).

Quote by EvilSp0rkMentis:
Ah my goddess!:the movie.
Very well done (animation wise) mixes CG with the regular old anime
animation. Of course it has that girly drama, but it has good fight
scenes. And a touching ending. I suggest any one watching it. It's
entertaining enough. It's just not the sterotypical anime people think.
It's similar to a disney movie, but i'd suggest knowing a bit more
about the series eventually to fill in the holes.

I see. Well, that's sounds pretty good. I will add it to my list :D. Thank you for giving me a little more detail.

The Updated List thus far...

Grave of the Fireflies: Still one of my top pics due to seriousness.
Kenshin OVA: I am sorry for having missed this. Obviously an excellent choice.
Jin Roh: Forgot about this one too. Also excellent due to seriousness of subject.
Vampire Hunter D (Bloodlust): It's fantasy, yes, but still portrayed in a somber manner.
Akira: Good choice for those who don't mind a little weirdness :P.
Cowboy Bebop Movie: A little sci-fi, but still serious enough for adults.
RahXephon Movie: Heavy on the sci-fi and mythology, but tackles some big philosophical ideas.
Princess Mononoke: Brings into focus the same issues we are still dealing with today.
Perfect Blue: Very bizarre, but very good for anyone liking psycho-thrillers :P.
Millenium Actress: What a great choice, action, romance, and it's so well done!
Tokyo Grandfathers: Haven't seen it myself, but hey it's Satoshi Kon!
Escaflowne Movie: Forgot about this. It's more fantasy, but the animation is first rate!
Ghost in the Shell: How can we not include this? A classic to be sure.
Ninja Scroll: And another. One of the best anime films to date if you ask me.
Bio Hunter: Quite adult oriented with a fair amount of gore, but I liked the story and art.
Appleseed: A nice action flick with some larger questions underneath the surface.
Macross Zero/Plus: Good story, good action, and great animation. Plus it's a classic.
Read or Die OVA: From what I've seen of the series I'd say this would be a good choice.
GITS: Innocence: Well, duh, it's Ghost in the Shell!!!
Voices of a Distant Star: A beautiful romantic sci-fi film with excellent animation.
Ah! My Goddess: The Movie As suggested, a good romantic comedy with good animation.

I'd say Full metal Alchemist. It's got a serious and sort of complicated side to it, that will make it seem adult. But then it has comdey so it won't look too adult.

yakushi-meikin

yakushi-meikin

:Professional Nerd:

Quote by mentisThose old animes sound interesting, but I am assuming they
are series as well...? Though unfortunately that was before I got into
anime and I have not actually even heard of Voltes Five, Mazinger Z,
and Daimos. Nevertheless, I did get the Kenshin OVAs on my list :D.

yes, they are anime series. the only disadvantage of the series is that you have to build up (even monitor?! hmmm...) the people that you're convincing. These anime are old, so hearing about them right now is quite a rare opportunity nowadays...

You're never fully dressed without a smile! ;)

Signature Image

Only in the mysterious equations of love can any real logic be found."
- A Beautiful Mind

Acknowledgements to alexiel01 for my userpage skin and signature image!

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Quote by EvinusI'd say Full metal Alchemist. It's got a serious and sort of
complicated side to it, that will make it seem adult. But then it has
comdey so it won't look too adult.

That would probably be a good choice, but as far as I'm aware they haven't released a movie yet, so it won't be suitable for my purpose here.

Quote by yakushi-meikin

Quote by mentisThose old animes sound interesting, but I am assuming
they
are series as well...? Though unfortunately that was before I got into
anime and I have not actually even heard of Voltes Five, Mazinger Z,
and Daimos. Nevertheless, I did get the Kenshin OVAs on my list :D.

yes, they are anime series. the only disadvantage of the series
is that you have to build up (even monitor?! hmmm...) the people that
you're convincing. These anime are old, so hearing about them right now
is quite a rare opportunity nowadays...

I figured as much. And so, since I am excluding series from this list, I won't be adding those. I'm sticking to films because they do not require a big time commitment. You can get more of the discussions as to the reasoning behind this in the previous pages of this thread.

Mentis,
Ah megami sama isn't much of a comedy, more...just drama and action, and awesome animation!

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Quote by EvilSp0rkMentis,
Ah megami sama isn't much of a comedy, more...just drama and action, and awesome animation!

Hmm, I believe that the official product site for the DVD mentioned it as a romantic comedy. But hey, that's probably just up their from marketing, so it doesn't mean much :P.

yeah...it's got like...maybe a giggle in it.

page 3 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 68 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.