Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Maybe a thread about bannings might be good? - Minitokyo

Maybe a thread about bannings might be good?

page 1 of 1 15 total items

CTEon

CTEon

.:Holy Devil:.

I remember seeing something like this made in another forum a long time ago and I just thought it might be something to be considered

A thread that anounnces banning could be good for 2 reasons that I can think of so far (I didn't know hte orignal intent by the other forum that I'm talking about but I just thought itwas a good idea that's why I'm proposing it here) and they are

1. some people might wonder if suddenly a regular poster or what not was banned suddenly for reasons unknown and they might start threads or pm mods asking why...having a centralised thread with some a link within it as an example to what they have been doing to warrant a banning would make it a lot easier.

2. While guidelines try to be as comprehensive as possible sometimes it is still not too explain to people what certain guidelines are and how they are carried out...plenty of examples could be placed there

I just thought it might be a nice idea...I apologise if I have done anyting wrong by creating this

Yesterday is hisory, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that's why it is called the present

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

I personally don't think that the mods need to justify everything they do, because on a whole it only improves MT. Furthermore, most banned members are troublesome newer members. . . where do you draw the line between someone worth posting a ban about and someone not worth it?

It's impossible to codify all the criteria necessary to ban a person. . . trust me. I've been an admin in a number of online communities. . . it's all about "I know it when I see it".

For those interested, there is already a thread on the banning that CTEon is most likely talking about. . .
http://forum.minitokyo.net/showthread/11189/

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

CTEon

CTEon

I guess so...I just thought it's a nice idea because as you say...a lot of the time it's "I know it when I see it" when a mod bans someone or something...and having an "example" of some sort really helps as a visual representation of the invisible line that is placed over whether something is tolerable

And yes new members would probably be the majority of where the bannigns take plce...but it might still be a good example of what is tolerated though no?

Yesterday is hisory, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that's why it is called the present

At the other forum I frequent, there is a thread that announces bans, and another thread that is for discussion of bans. I think both would be good ideas here.

And, while it is impossible to codify all banning criteria, explaining publically why a particular member was banned would be beneficial; one wouldn't need to go looking throughout the boards to find out why.

CTEon

CTEon

hmm...that wouldn't happen to be gff would it? e.e

I thought I recognized your name.

Keltosh

Retired Moderator

Keltosh

Inquisitor on hiatus

.. You DO realize that we have around 500 new memebrs every day and at least 10 banned members for serial spamming/ rippping / whatever, right? Such a thread is completely unnecessary honestly and it would grow huge in no time.

Signature
I am now on hiatus from moderating due to my thesis.
One of my favorite game ever: Mordor: The Depths Of Dejenol Community
The beautiful signature is from Biriwilg

CTEon

CTEon

actually no I didn't realise that...it is after all just a suggestion which I thought might prove useful down the track since it was somewhat useful elsewhere~

biriwilg

Retired Moderator

biriwilg

+indie mod+

It's a nice suggestion, we're not trying to shoot you down. ^^ But Kel is right, we do a lot of bannings per day and it would quickly be a hassle posting them all. But if you go to a banned member's userpage, you can see the warnings from a moderator which resulted in their ban. ^^

I think its a great Idea to have the last post of the banned members thread explain why they were banned, or wrote in their guestbook (Unless the reason for their ban is blatently obvious). Actually, the latter would be better....Cause alot of people wonder why they got banned, and not knowing can cause stress among fellow members and unanswered questions. (eg. Why was my friend banned?)

Defender of the Misunderstood

CTEon

CTEon

yea...having a simple comment like a change in title like instead of just saying banned member they could have it say "banned for <insert reason>" and people could then find out what exactly they did by looking at their posts or something...as mods say...considering the amount of people that get banned my idea is out of the question...but something that indicates what the person has done wrong serves as a good example for other members as well as informs the banned members' friends whath appened

Yes, also others members can see why that these banned users were banned, and they can see what not to do.

Also what Keltosh said, how there are about 500 new members perday and 10 banned, 10 dosent seem all that much to spend a few seconds to write in why they were banned. And as Biriwilg said, stating the reason for banishment on every banned members would be too much. But as I said before, the members that show in threads why they were banned do not need to have a reason in their userpage/profile/whatever. Just the ones who arent exactly clear on why they were banned.

Defender of the Misunderstood

The thing about the guestbooks is that eventually, perhaps very soon, those warnings could be buried, depending on whose guestbook it is. Susan-chan's last warning, for example, is buried on the second page.

CTEon

CTEon

but then again having such a thread is troublesome still though..as the mods here have said...the numbers of people joining and getting banned is...much higher than say...gff so in no time at all there would already be a huge list of banned members...
as for the guestbook idea...it's true it could be buried on the second page...but to be honest I think this would be more rare since people who usually get banned aren't exactly the popular type and activity in their guestbook will probably die down over time too right? maybe perhaps the indication that they were banned or warned could be in a seperate little frame thingie on the right just on top of the ads?

Keltosh

Retired Moderator

Keltosh

Inquisitor on hiatus

It is not a bad idea in itself, just honestly impratical considering the high number of banned members. And besides you guys would never know who are 98% of the banned members...

Signature
I am now on hiatus from moderating due to my thesis.
One of my favorite game ever: Mordor: The Depths Of Dejenol Community
The beautiful signature is from Biriwilg

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.