Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 DVD RW questions - Minitokyo

DVD RW questions

page 1 of 1 12 total items

I've been thinking about replacing my current DVD drive with a DVD RW drive as it recently broke on me. My main concern is what the difference is between DVD+/-RW and DVD+RW (or at least something along those lines)? The only difference I've noticed so far is that DVD+/-RW is more expensive. Thank you.

BTW: the problem with my current DVD drive is that it simply cannot read for some reason the discs that are placed into it. But my computer still recognizes that it works. It just randomly stopped working one day properly. if you know the problem, that be even better help. again, thank you.

Signature

"Give the man a gun, he's Superman; Give him two, he's God." -- Police Commisioner from Hard Boiled

supposedly dvd-r discs are more compatable with older standalone players than dvd+r discs. i think thats the only real difference. if youre planning on backing up ps2 games or can afford it, you might as well get the dvd+/-rw drive.
as for your other drive, did you try cleaning the lens?

most drives are dual (+ and -)
i've had some compatibility issuses with + with older DVD players

The + and - are historical things, there were 2 big alliances of companies and each wanted its own DVD RW Standard. So a lot of older DVD players only understand either one or the other format. Most modern players know both. So what to choose depends on your dvd player.
Technically they need different kinds of disks to be able to burn. Best choice is a +/- drive, in terms of price there should be no big difference.

Get a NEC 3500 drive! They rock. Alternatives are Pioneer A08 or 108 models.

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

A vote for the Pioneer 108. Always used Pioneer dvd/rw drives and have never once made a coaster ^___^ .

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

I have a Sony DVD +/- RW drive and have no quarms or complaints. The difference in the + and - is the fact that they use a different intensity of laser to "burn" the data onto the disc. That being said, dvd+r(w) media has a different chemical in the disc for that laser, and dvd-r(w) is the same (different chemical I mean.) Most older DVD players can only read dvd-r format, and most Gaming consoles used dvd+r format. This is why there were some problmes copying Console games when DVD Recorders first came out, but has since been resolved.

If there's a choice between + and -, get -! The dvd+r format is not an official DVD video format last I heard, and at least some DVD players (new ones) will NOT recognize them, and all older drives won't take +R's either.

I have the Pioneer dvr-106d Superdrive (predecessor to the 107 and 108) which can do +/-R/RW's, it's a really fantastic piece of hardware and I would never recommend anything else. It can handle any disc you throw at it! For me, it's played DVD's that didn't work in anything else.

As for fixing your current drive, if the hardware still functions but it can't seem to read disc's anymore, have you tried cleaning the lens? Assuming it's tray loading, go out and buy a drive cleaning disc (make sure it's perfectly compatible with your drive, wouldn't want to /scratch/ the lens) and maybe that will help.

TanKilleR

TanKilleR

Manga Fanatic

Funny how you all say this and that dvdrw will handly dvds you feed it, when it dont matter that dvdrw you own, its the ripping apps you use. Just go out and buy the most cheap dvdrw, it will work with anything, long as you have a good ripping app, like dvdshink,dvd decrypter. :pacman:

uchan

uchan

Mostly Harmless

Pioneer A108 is good choice. Support all current dvd standard (it can read dvd-ram disc too) and it can burn dual layer disc.

[ My latest wallpapers: Ritsuka <-> ZERO Love v2 <-> Autumn cold night ]
[ Please visit my gallery for high quality and resolution pictures or sign my guestbook.]

Signature Image

Hey, thanks a lot guys

Signature

"Give the man a gun, he's Superman; Give him two, he's God." -- Police Commisioner from Hard Boiled

dustin

dustin

Gem Stone

Quote by JunpeiIf there's a choice between + and -, get -! The dvd+r format is not an
official DVD video format last I heard, and at least some DVD players
(new ones) will NOT recognize them, and all older drives won't take
+R's either.

Lies, dvd-r and dvd+r are official formats both. As someone earlier said, some companies supported the other format and some the other. dvd+r disks burn faster than dvd-r disks. dvd+r isn't as compatible backwards as dvd-r. Only drive i discovered not reading dvd+r disks was my old pc DVD drive from -98. With other drives i had no problems with dvd+r.

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.