Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 How do you make your comments on MT artwork? - Minitokyo

How do you make your comments on MT artwork?

page 1 of 1 8 total items

charaznableamurorei

charaznableamurorei

patron saint of doujinshi

(Edited 10jan2004, 8:21 Manila time... at work, on overtime)

'Just raised this question in order to hear from MT people (wallers, non-wallers, artists, non-artists, leechers, perverts, weirdos, etc.) how you write your comments/posts on wallpapers & artwork? I hope that this topic would be a great introspective/reflective way of reviewing how we appreciate the efforts of artists/co-artists of MT. Also, if wallers/artists exert and better themselves in their art, we have to exert effort/work hard, too, in commenting on their work, ne? Besides, I think that this thread can also be instructive for the newer members.

OK, here's mine:
Funny thing is, I keep a bunch of MP3 files (it's all J-music and old/local goth/metal sounds) handy on CD-RW discs either in the office or at the internet cafes where I surf. When I see a wall/sketch/artwork that seems pretty interesting, I first peer at it closely. Of course, download and save it first.

Then, I'll do a la Mr. Bean (His admonition: Sit and look at the painting!). Then, in a weird way, I'd see/visualize myself as "part of the picture", not merely an observer, but some thing/chara or aspect in the picture itself. Truly imagining. After that "immersive experience", I'd launch Winamp and try to find a song that would somewhat enhance the experience. I'd listen to music that kinda fits the atmosphere of the artwork. Weird, ne? After or during that "trance" (sometimes, I do a little dance with my office chair, much to the chagrin and wonder of my boss ^_^), I start typing in the words on Notepad. Now there's the most difficult part for me: translating/encapsulating/filtering the emotion/experience onto mere words... well, I just try to "let flow the words", then attempt to correct some typos later. Usually, my comments lack much technical insight, but I am trying to remedy that by preparing to study some Photoshop soon. (Maybe I'll share with you my recently-devised formula (?) for making comments, later.)

'Summing it up... Music and art: fascinating alternatives/complements to language.

Some Examples:
* When I viewed Evanrued-friend's work 'My One and Only', I had Noir's "Whispering Hills" and Chrono Cross' Track 22 (forgot the title) playing back-to-back. Key words/emotions: romantic, nostalgic, lost.

* On vampyre-friend's 'Vamp Art 0050', I had Noir's "Aka to Kuro" (sung by Ali Project) on. Key words/emotions: pain, strong, bring-it-on. (I think I forgot to comment on this one!)

* On vampyre-friend's 'Vamp Art 0027[Copy and Reproduct', I had Shin Shinseiki Evangelion's "Rei I" and Anathema's "The Silent Enigma" played looped. Key words/emotions: pain, awareness, accept?.

* On DernierCri-friend's 'history file #1203', Theatre of Tragedy's "A Distance There Is" and "Venus", with some Sea of Rains' "Vespertine Flight". Key words/emotions: loneliness, aloft, alien.

* On bucketshot-friend's 'dark illustrations: 4 horsemen', a mix of Angel Sanctuary's "Knife Of Romance" and X (TV)'s "eX Dream". Key words/emotions: links, choice, grand plan/play.

* On hikarujm-friend and Irix's collab work 'Twisted Mind', Earth Girl Arjuna's "Diving" and The 3rd and the Mortal's "Why So Lonely". Key words/emotions: I/myself/me, love, redundancy, Narcissus.

OK, you may share how you do your comments on MT artwork now! Please don't be shy about your language, k? And thanks for patiently reading/enduring this. ^_^

Signature Image
Sig crafted by Yune of the MTSign-AvCrew! Based on artwork by Keough! Vamonos, MT artistes!

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Music with reviewing, it really helps me get into the mood of writing reviews and I find it to be rather soothing for when I spend a great length writing something. Music is such a wonderful thing and its what really keeps me, me. Its been awhile Char, we have alot of catching up to do (On my part mainly =P).

Anyways I have a full list of MP3's that I play via Winamp whenever I go onto MT to review. I base all my reviews on what really stands out to me and what I really like. Yes, there are my fair share of walls I don't like dispite my massive favorite list. If somethings in a wall that really grabs my attention I study it and find something else I like, I try to find at least three things that really stand out to me before I make a review. Of course I still try to add any points, if possible, to any other artist and a lot of the time I'm unable to review everything that comes into my notifications (Since I have well over 200 friends, its so difficult... :_: I love having lots of friends but its so hard to keep up) and with the way I am now I'm in serious need of catching up.

i also try to comment on how much the work ment to me or how much I really liked it (Of course me favoring it means I really liked it, I just try to say on why) and try to make each of my comments unique and different than the rest. Though this is hard sometimes if I find lingering qualities from each wall....which means I get creative with my wording. Anyways thats about it =D. As for me catching up? Well I've already started that plan in motion, unfortunally then I get behind with my GB and PM replies ='( If its not one thing, its another sadly.

Signature Image

minimouzo

minimouzo

Papaya

Quote by charaznableamuroreiWeird, ne? After or during that "trance" (sometimes, I do a little dance with my office chair, much to the chagrin and wonder of my boss ^_^)

do the happy chair dance for me :) *ta ta ta ^_^ weeeeeee 360°*

you have pretty cool way of commenting. I actually listen a lot to a cd ( a neo metal band from USA called switched ) and i don't know why. It always inspirate me comments for the works here ^_^

i usually first see the image in big. Sometimes it's even so beautiful in little size that the inspiration come directly. And then i try to see some details which remind me something. I express what i think is good or moving to me. And then become the objective part ^_^ i try to find the little imperfections or i try to express what i think should be improved ... etc.

For example i enjoy a lot vampyre's work. They are a real source of inspiration. And she can drink a little of my blood if she's thirsty. She said me O-type blood (according to a book) is the one that mosquito's drink first because it is tasty :D

and by commenting or making constructive remarks, we met friends and cool persons. So i really enjoy commenting here :D

i'll not talk too long :) thanks for this thread my friend

Eat a papaya everyday and everything will be ok Signature Image

Support section

hmmzz.....let yourself inspired by music and the artwork huh ? some interessting way of giving a comment =) but...I think the music could change the way of the wallers idea=/...
uhm...well first thing i'll do is lloking to the tumbnail and see what I made up about the pic......the n.....I'll download the wall and watch the effects on a large size, at last....i'll watch the pic overall on a size of the desktop =) then I'll do my comment (but...i'm not so pro as you all -_-"....)

Nemontine89

Nemontine89

~Stoner~

Lol, I'm not pro either meteorcloud ^_^'
Well, I don't really listen to music when I comment. I just write what I like about a piece like the color scheme or image or effects.
Then, I write the mood it gives off or if it's a doujinshi I write what an artist might need to work on. Comments mostly should be constructive criticiziment right? :)

Signature
	Image Woof? XD

walkure245

walkure245

MagiBlue

Hmm~ I'm usually listening to Japanese music or watching anime. ^_^ But I have to be in the mood to write something too. When I look at someone's works, I sit there and look for the basic stuff of the artwork, like shading and proportionality. Then, I like to look for originality and effort. If I can't get anything, I sit there until something comes to me. Of course, I write a criticism or two. I never write anything harsh though. *nod nod*
Well, that's me. ^_^ Heheh~

Signature
Created by my best friend, Kitten

charaznableamurorei

charaznableamurorei

patron saint of doujinshi

* Hi. Cy-friend. Oh, no problem 'bout that. And glad to see ya! But I'll take your word as a promise, yakusoku, ne? ^_^

* Oh, and papyworld-friend. I will PM you how I 'chair dance'. It's too embarassing to talk about it here... but if people insist... ^_^

*Oh, and mai-friend, I'm spreading the word re: your doujinshi! ^_^

* I think you touched on very interesting points there, meteorcloud-friend and nemontine89! Yes, sometimes, the waller/artist has her/his own concept on the wall/art. But isn't it that art, while being expressive (the maker of the art putting her/his own views on the work), also seeks to impress something? (by that, the viewer of the art has her/his own views or perspective on the work).

Nemontine89 and meteorcloud-friend kinda raised the "Technical Angle" point. See here these very incisive critiques of kalicodreamz, tatekane, and Dev ( http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/69154/ ). To carry out this kind of critique, would one need to some pretty good knowledge/skills at image editing, right? I kinda think so. Anyway, that's why I would really try to learn some image editing ideas in order to comment more on the technical side.

But many people (esp. wallers who want more technical advice) favor this kind of critique rather than ego-inflating comments, right? I kinda forgot the thread where I saw this point (can anyone help me out?). I kinda get a guilty feeling that I might be committing this "ego-inflating" thing by commenting like so in my posts. Self-conscious. But, for me, that is the only manner of commenting that I can sincerely and honestly make...

Nevertheless, I am encouraged by a post made by DernierCri-friend some weeks ago: "Commenting is a reaction, not a technical response to the skills required for creating (an artwork)."

(add to this a cool quote he said: "The limits of my language mean the limit of my world." ^_^)

Making a comment is also expressing yourself, too, in my opinion. Your choice of words and style/presenting what you felt about a certain artwork also reveals, somewhat, a part of yourself. Of course, this doesn't mean automatically that when one uses "big, many-syllabled" words, she/he is deep and learned; sometimes, it might come out as a bit fake. By the same token, making comments in "broken" English (in my language, it's called "barok English" [translated: cave man/girl-English] doesn't of course mean that he/she is dumb and illiterate.

i would like to believe that there is an intrinsic, 'wordless' thing/element that makes a certain comment interesting, sincere or spoken from the heart (hey, shades of "Heretics of Dune" there! My all-time fav read, BTW ^_^) -- a "wordless truth." (pardon me if this sounds too obscure).

Signature Image
Sig crafted by Yune of the MTSign-AvCrew! Based on artwork by Keough! Vamonos, MT artistes!

macguges

macguges

yet another otaku geek

When I would post comments on galleries, I aim to write something distinctive and coherent to others. Sometimes I wonder if I ought to relax my old standards, because since revisiting mt, I feel I haven't enough time to write a proper review. I still feel it's appropriate to write a post with quality, but it bothers me that I haven't shown much appreciation at all since coming back.

I've also tried to post on interesting or under-commented art, particularly original stuff. In that case my appreciation isn't so much for the art itself, but for the individual's effort. But to be honest, such charity probably represents less than a third of my choices.

An old rule I made for myself was not to make a favorite unless I intended to write a review. Maybe I'll change that rule. Perhaps I worried too much about favoring the "wrong" kinds of art. Perhaps I'm weird in the head? I think I may be more likely to revisit old finds if I did keep track of them.

All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense. A public service clarification by the Sri Syadasti School of Spiritual Wisdom.

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.