Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What do you look for in your or others artwork? - Minitokyo

What do you look for in your or others artwork?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 26 total items

jchupa

Artist of Many

My personal appeal is to the flow of the work and to the color and movment of the content. Emotion plays a big part I beleive.

If it is to be it is up to me.
Talent comes in many forms!

hot babes

jchupa

Artist of Many

Well, we have honesty, any one else?

effort and style, all artwork is good so there is no such thing as bad art as long as the artist him/herself put forth their best effort.

i guess thast what i look for in other peoples art, the effort.

style is another thing i look for its nice to see the diversity of 2 different artist who are drawing the same thing. try it sometime youll see what i mean.

as for my own work i just do my best to capture what i have laid out in my mind. i love the sketchy look and if youd see my sketch book youd understand just how much i love it but thats a differnet subject all together.

pretty much i just keep working till im satisfide with the final product whether it takes me 10 minutes or ten days itsall te same in the end if i enjoyed making it and the final result.

thats just my opinion though. well those were my thoughts.

good luck to everyone in whatever they are aspiring to do and in everything they are acomplishing in life.

gambatte ne!

jchupa

Artist of Many

Quote by Kauroeffort and style, all artwork is good so there is no such thing as bad
art as long as the artist him/herself put forth their best effort.
i guess thast what i look for in other peoples art, the effort. style
is another thing i look for its nice to see the diversity of 2
different artist who are drawing the same thing. try it sometime youll
see what i mean.
as for my own work i just do my best to capture what i have laid out in
my mind. i love the sketchy look and if youd see my sketch book youd
understand just how much i love it but thats a differnet subject all
together.
pretty much i just keep working till im satisfide with the final
product whether it takes me 10 minutes or ten days itsall te same in
the end if i enjoyed making it and the final result.
thats just my opinion though. well those were my thoughts.
good luck to everyone in whatever they are aspiring to do and in
everything they are acomplishing in life.
gambatte ne!

Ecellent view, that's right, there really is no bad art. Diversity adds to quality and experience of life.

Kauro, Join our group. It's still in the works, but your views would be welcome, click on the link in my sig below.

i hope to see you there.

SealedSorrow

SealedSorrow

Happiness

I look for anime drawings... How they draw each part...

Wont you let me see what Real Happiness Trully is...
Because if this is Happiness then I want more...
I know its selfish...
But have you ever felt so much Pain...
When will you understand that the why sun dont shine through my window...
And when will you understand that I am not really what I seem...
And When will you understand I been Wishing for you to be Happy Forever...

Whether the artist's message is a concept or a purely formal element like composition, how well does the work itself translate to what the artist intended to say/convey. Some work is meant to be abstract/personal, however, it personally loses presence when an artist seemingly slaps on some complex idea as an afterthought - it becomes a decoration.

Originality and creativity of the artist's original work and ideas, as well as what kind of ideas/images it elicits in me. Does it provide inspiration, either conceptually or visually, for my own work?

Technique or style, I evaluate in comparison to what I know personally about the medium or in what the work can teach me about it. It can't be helped. There has to be some degree of craftmanship in a work; although, I have a certain fondness for sketchy work. ^_^'

Clean, crisp, and beautiful. Good knowledge of colours, and the beautiful combination of them with an attractive scan. Harmony of colours with a good use of empty space can be so beautiful :)

While an attractive scan of the character(s) is still THE end-all in deciding what to download, what really sets a wallpaper apart into one that will actually be used, and not just kept for 'looking' is the above mentioned for me.

calisqo

calisqo

::RERAITO::

originality ^^ most of the time.
I apreciate efforts they spent on it oo, not just great scans the bg counts too u know ^^

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

:D Thanks for putting up such an interesting thread J! :D

Professor Mentis Says :nerd::

Art is a funny thing you know. It is a constant duality that struggles with itself. One one end, you have the finished product, and on the other you have the process. It is easy to become to absorbed with the product in the artworld, with little regard to the process.

:nerd: And though I would also say that all art is art. And that there is no bad art, there is art which grabs me by the throat and has a profound impact on me. And then there's art which leaves me completely cold. Even good art leaves me cold sometimes, like some of Warhol's work, which I think most would consider better than just "good" art.

:nerd: So what makes this art that I find moving so, well, moving? I think Kauro hit it with the mention of effort. Effort does play a big role in what makes a work more moving. Then Calisqo mentioned originality, and that's a big part too. So we have effort, and originality, but there is another element that has not been brought up in this discussion: Honesty. A work that is created with honesty, and effort, is more likely to be original. Exhibiting these elements the work in question is more likely to be vibrant, to evoke emotion, and therefore be a more personally moving work of art.

Quote by mentis Honesty. A work that is created with honesty, and effort, is more likely to be original.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "honesty". Care to give an example? :)

many things. I generally like waching arts.. orginal arts mostly..
What I look for... everytnig I can find.

Nice style, idea, technique...
The best case is when it has all 3.. than it's awsome ;)

zephiris26

zephiris26

Vector Addict [TM]

Hey jchupa, haven't heard from you in a while ^_^'
Hmm....Emotion does play a big part in the way I see art, but I think shading/good use of colors and originality are the most important ^-^

emotion is important but I value personal style a bit more since anime tends to show similar trends with most pieces.

Rella

Rella

Tsukihime

I look at the image (if it's in good quality or not) and the effects.

Signature
Newest Wallpaper: Anyone and Anything XD

For me, I always look for that certain "magical" quality in artwork. That kind that just sucks you in, and you have absolutely no trouble understanding what's going on. This is going to sound stupid, but I want to look at a picture and feel like the characters are looking back at me. I want to feel their emotions, and escape into their world. I don't want it to neccessarilly (god, I so spelled that wrong) look real, but I want it to feel real. You know?

Geeks shall inherit the earth, and when they do, Japan is mine. Muwahahahahahahaa.....!

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Quote by elledies

Quote by mentis Honesty. A work that is created with honesty, and effort, is more likely to be original.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "honesty". Care to give an example? :)

Well, to actually explain all that I mean by that statement I would have to post my thesis which I wrote for my philosophy major. I don't think that would do here :P. But you may understand better by studying the works of artist both modern and classic. They would include works by Jackson Pollock, Willem DeKooning, as well as Van Gogh (to mention just three of the many).

In fact, here is also a statement by Van Gogh which talks about honesty: "The real thing is not to make an absolute copy of nature, but to know nature so well that what one makes is fresh and true; that is what is lacking in many. Do you know that it is very, very necessary for honest people to remain in art? Hardly anyone knows that the secret of beautiful work lies to a great extent in truth and sincere sentiment." (176; Book II; Dear Theo)

I hope that clarifies things a little. But if you truly wish to read my thesis, I can certainly send it to you, he he :p.

Songblade

Renkinjutsushi

I look for thought and effort... if it's a sketch, I look for passion. I look for the artist's soul. Funny to say that, but it's true XD You can always tell if someone is uncertain with their hand or think too much in a drawing and butcher it because they've become so technical, they erase what their heart puts into the drawing. You can see arrogance without much attention to anatomy and detail. Lotsa strange stuff, but I really look for someone who drew something just for the love of drawing it.

blah, babbling XD

It's that passion and emotion... It brings things to life and really makes that true feeling come about.. It's hard to express in words but hopefully I'm getting that point across. When you can really feel it - you know that it's done right.

When I finish a picture and look at it for a while once I feel that rush of euphoria then I know that its good if I don’t I’ll start over from scratch. If I don’t get any strong feelings from what I do myself I really wouldn’t expect for anyone else to feel differently.

buggydude

buggydude

Now comes with 90% more fondue!

i am very critical of my work for the most part and i tend to be a little critical of others works sometimes. I love to draw its one of my passions and i try to do the best i can. Unfortunately if i make a mistake in a drawing and finish with that mistake in it or i catch a mistake and just say whatever and keep going my work isn't the best it can be. My laziness gets in the way of some of my drawings living up to their full potential sometimes and i'm trying to work on that.

Renegade Nuns on Wheels

kimifox

kimifox

dysfunctional idealist

As far as anime/manga images go ...
I'm pretty sure that when it comes down to it, I look for either a crystalization of a moment in time, or an image that illustrates a characteristic of a character. That sounds kinda odd, but I can't think of another way to say it. An external snapshot of the character's psyche is another way to put it, I suppose.

As far as "fine art" goes...
The genres(?) of art that I prefer are Pre-Raphaelite and Expressionism. They're quite different. :P I especially like Franz Marc's paintings. They're usually simple forms with complex use of color.
I like Pre-Raphaelite art basically because its usual subject is fairies, angels, or the Arthurian legends.

As far as layout goes...
I definitely think there's an art to page layout, and I've gotta learn it - quick! :P I'm fascinated by the way that manga pages "work." It's interesting how 2D drawings can represent movement across time - especially in layouts that aren't framed in symmetrical boxes. Tezuka Osamu's work comes to mind as an example of this. Think outside the box. ;)

As far as my art goes...
My technical skills aren't really up to displaying what's in my head. But I'm practicing...
(I have never made a wallpaper that I like. Screens are so BIG! I like to make smaller things)

Signature
[url="http://groups.minitokyo.net/forcefirefox/"]Force Firefox[/url] The Fox Loves You. Love the Fox.
[url="http://groups.minitokyo.net/order-of-reason/"]Order-of-Reason[/url]

Quote by kimifoxAs far as layout goes...
I'm fascinated by the way that manga pages "work." It's interesting how 2D drawings can represent movement across time - especially in layouts that aren't framed in symmetrical boxes.

I'm intrigued by this as well. You can generally tell between an experienced mangaka and amateur simply by whether or not the "boxes" disappear. Heh, it's amazing how irritating it is when you notice the "box" more than the scene contained within.
One artist that I've noticed for her excellent skill in layouting certain scenes is Tsukuba Sakura (Mekakushi no Kuni/Invisible World.) She uses a lot of diagonals and it works beautifully.

Aerith0530

Aerith0530

~ I s r a f e l ~

Well, considering everyone's talent level varies, I would probably say effort. But, when judging experts and professionals, I'd say color, form, content, and technique.

Color:

I'm quite a picky person when it comes to color. I tend to favor light and cold tones like blue. But, if the other factors are great, then I can look past the colors. But, it just makes my eyes happier. XD

Form:

People can draw the exact same subject and come up with totally different things. I mean, a girl can be sitting or standing, and both would have very different effects on the viewer. The way the subject is presented is very important.

Content:

This should be the least important, I suppose. A true artist would be able to create art out of anything and everything. But, I like to see graceful and elegant things, especially things with wings, water, or mythical subjects. :D

Technique:

Very important. Impressions and frescos are obviously going to have dramatically different effects, and at times, one is just better used over the other. Personally, I like details, but I still can't resist Monet's waterlillies.

Oh, and another thing I really value is improvement. I think seeing how much you've improved over the course of time makes drawing so much more enjoyable. Makes all the effort seem worthwhile. That's why I don't change anything after I'm done. If I notice a mistake later (doesn't matter how much later), I won't fix it even if it kills me. XD

Signature

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 26 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.