Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Mac Mini - Minitokyo

page 1 of 1 24 total items

I recently heard about this new lineup of Macs called the Mac Mini ( http://www.apple.com/macmini/ ). It only costs $500 and looks very very nice. Is it worth it?

Signature

"Give the man a gun, he's Superman; Give him two, he's God." -- Police Commisioner from Hard Boiled

Bisuketto

Bisuketto

"Conversational Fountain"

hmm... looks interesting. I dont know if it is worth it though... an ibook would probably have more advantages... I have been following macs and I didn't see that one coming XD. you should wait to see if it takes off if no one gets it, it may be hard to upgrade or get tech support

'I set the timers for six minutes, the same six minutes you gave me, it was the least I could do for a friend'
'If it's not broken, don't fix it'
Signature

It's pretty good if you are a Mac fan, and want a cool and chick gadget. Very small sieze indeed, but ... useful? Paying a bit more you can get a low range Mac, that will be better than this new one.
At first look, I thought that was an attempt to imitate that salon mini-pcs, but now I don't think so :S

I'm a Mac user for a long time now, and I have to say the new Mac mini is a very good computer for normal daily use such as surfing the net, watching DVDs, e-mail, word processing and such things (even graphic design should work pretty well on this, if you add more memory). And its very affordable. But if you're a gamer or if you want to upgrade your computer at a later time, then you better buy a G5, which is also my choice as my next comp.

Signature

I wonder if it is good enough to make dvd's. If it would be able to encode vids quickly like they boast about. If it does then it would be worth it.

I wonder how it will be with cooling when everything is packed into that small case.

personally, i say no. this is aimed at the basic user who just wants to word process, surf the web, store some music/movies, etc. cooling's not much of a problem because it's using laptop components and doesn't draw a whole lot of power.

look at the prices for their upgrades. $100 for a 4x DVD burner (and that's the fastest available for it). $400 for a gig of ram. (i doubt a basic user would need a gig, but 512 is definitely recommended for osx). 80 gig HD maximum.

dell's cheapest computer starts much lower than that, and options/upgrade costs are far cheaper.

---I'm going to live forever. so far, so good.---

fuzzmegabass

fuzzmegabass

Code Ninja

I've always thought Mac stuff was really cool, but what prevented me from becoming a mac user, is that you really can't modify a Macintosh the same way you can a PC

Signature Image

Frosty

Frosty

: One Luv :

Quote by wieselI'm a Mac user for a long time now, and I have to say the new Mac mini
is a very good computer for normal daily use such as surfing the net,
watching DVDs, e-mail, word processing and such things (even graphic
design should work pretty well on this, if you add more memory). And
its very affordable. But if you're a gamer or if you want to upgrade
your computer at a later time, then you better buy a G5, which is also
my choice as my next comp.

well said... but one thing about this mac mini is that it looks more like at first something that tries to go against the cheap PC buz.. *which I think its a really bad idea* but I think is more like another ipod accessories.

the only thing I own thats apple was apple stocks. lol... XD *well not today anymore anyways.* but yea, this mini looks like a great thing for PC users to get into a Mac. and of course like all Mac stuff... with the cool looks... owning one is alost like a fashion statment or a stats. symbol. lol...

Signature

Quote by lkchildI wonder how it will be with cooling when everything is packed into that small case.

well mac's usually have a well thought-out design, so this probably wont be a problem. but, why buy a mac when you can get a more powerful pc for the same money? of course a pc doesnt look as stylish, but style aint everything

Would be great as a doorstop and not much else. Kind of like all Macs.

andiyar

andiyar

wordsmith

For it's intended users, it's fine. Personally, I can see myself getting a miniMac and plugging it into my plasma TV as a media box, or perhaps using it as a web server, even a simple desktop machine. If you want to play games, you don't get a Mac anyway, and if you want to do high end design etc, you go G5. The miniMac is great for what it does - simple, easy computing for the average user.

-Andiyar

"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

joepolo2002

joepolo2002

Ecchi Master

Its a great entry level mac, especially if you already have a keyboard and monitor / flatscreen. The combo drive version is great - firewire is equally good. I've heard of mac enthusist talking about loading these little guys in their cars

If you want a more inclusive package - you still might want to get either a eMac, or a mid-range iMac g5.

i don't see powermac G5 users getting a mini mac.

FYI - Office for Mac runs much smoother on a Mac than Office does on Windows (talk about irony) ^_^'

[ecchi-club] member.
Signature
Yes, I have way too much time on my hands.

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

I'm looking at getting one of these because I don't play that many games on my computer and this would be a great media PC for my dorm at university. I was wondering what sort of performance this should bring in MacOSX. I've never used anything but Windows you see.

I'd be looking at the 1.25GHz version with an extra 256mb RAM :) .

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Quote by Bisuketto it may be hard to upgrade or get tech support

It's not user-servicable, so for upgrades or tech support, you need to go through Apple.

Quote by lkchildI wonder how it will be with cooling when everything is packed into that small case.

Like all Macs, the design is brilliant and not only is cooling not an issue, but it runs very silently as well.

Quote by orihalconpersonally, i say no. this is aimed at the basic user who just wants to word process, surf the web, store some music/movies, etc. cooling's not much of a problem because it's using laptop components and doesn't draw a whole lot of power.
look at the prices for their upgrades. $100 for a 4x DVD burner (and that's the fastest available for it). $400 for a gig of ram. (i doubt a basic user would need a gig, but 512 is definitely recommended for osx). 80 gig HD maximum.
dell's cheapest computer starts much lower than that, and options/upgrade costs are far cheaper.

Wrong. This is not aimed at the basic user, but rather at PC users who are looking to make a switch. It doesn't come with monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse, etc., all things that current owners/users of PCs have so that they can get set up easily without having to worry about the peripherals. This is not aimed at current Mac owners, because few have standalone monitors, for example.

Quote by NogibWould be great as a doorstop and not much else. Kind of like all Macs.

If you look at everything objectively, Macs, especially with G4 and OSX, are no longer worthless and more than hold up a candle to PCs in most respects. The chip design is more efficient and the operating system is far more stable and secure, etc.

Quote by Aa-chanI'd be looking at the 1.25GHz version with an extra 256mb RAM :) .

Seeing as OSX basically requires 256 to run smoothly, getting the Mac mini with upgraded RAM from the getgo is definitely the way to go.

If anyone else has questions, feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can do to be of assistance.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

macs suck!

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

I know a few people over here in the UK have them, but I was wondering if anyone on Minitokyo had one. Am considering buying one and opinions about the product are all important ^^ .

Pictures would be great too.

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

Makhan

Makhan

Eccentric Angel

I already have a G5 at home, along with a G4 TIbook, so I'm obviously not going to be getting a mac mini any time soon. Looking at the specs, though, I would definitely reccomend it.

Signature
New Wallpapers: Monochrome Etude
Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein.

uchan

uchan

Mostly Harmless

Its a really nice little thing. I slowly turn away form monster pcs to something more compact/less heat/less noise thing. Its too bad that Apple selling their stuff much more expensive in Europe.

[ My latest wallpapers: Ritsuka <-> ZERO Love v2 <-> Autumn cold night ]
[ Please visit my gallery for high quality and resolution pictures or sign my guestbook.]

Signature Image

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

I'm the same. I have had plenty of computers and I always prefer the small ones in the end. There's no need for something to take up your desk and when people put their computers on the floor, I just don't understand.

Hmm, I think I might be taking a trip to the Apple site shortly...

Utsukushii

Utsukushii

DDR Banshee

Quote by Insane-Elmomacs suck!

Well, as my Religion teacher would say, "What is your reasoning for your opinion?" O_o Well, for me I wouldn't spend $500 on a mac, I personally prefer a Windows system, that and I'm working on building a PC as it is, a Mac isn't going to increase my budget O_o;; but you Can overclock it and such already, I have a guide to doing so somewhere, I'll post when I find it ^-^, but I would say, Go for it if you're looking, for a basic, stylish computer to get you started, Knock yourself out!

Who says video games are violent? Excuse me as I snipe the Covenant O_o;;

I don't think a mac sucks...

My girlfriend just got a Mac mini...the 1.25GHz one with 512mb RAM and Airport extreme card upgrade to replace her old P3 800Mhz...the swtich can be quite painful at the beginning...but after using it for a while..I have to say it's really smooth and stable compare to a Windows XP PC.I would recommend the swtich if the person doesn't mind about the software incompatbilities with PC (MSN Messenger 4 for Mac really sucks compare to the PC version). I even run World of Warcraft on it and it's pretty smooth. The mini is a really smart move for Apple in my opinion

Ryuujin

Ryuujin

Prolific Ghost

Macs don't suck, I used to think they suck but right now, my opinion has changed. If I had the money, I would definately buy the mini and try it out. It has many pros and cons, but it's worth switching to try other things than windows. The specs aren't too bad... just got to upgrade the ram and it will be fine. I blame the ipod for making me want a mac x.x;

aemil

aemil

Mega-newb

Quote by Insane-Elmomacs suck!

Wow, that's a well thought-out response.

Anyway, I'm really thinking about getting one to replace my webserver. Sure, its not as powerful as a lot of other, cheaper computers, but for my purposes, it works just fine. I'd much rather have a small quiet computer than my current large and loud server.

page 1 of 1 24 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.