Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Linux or microsoft windows? - Minitokyo

Linux or microsoft windows?

page 2 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 115 total items

-Asakura-

-Asakura-

:.Phenomenal.:

i use both,
Windows xp Pro & Gentoo

Signature

As long as I remain a gamer, I'm pretty much going to stick with Windows.

At home i only use Arch Linux, but at work I have to use Windows.

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

definitely windows, i am more comfortable with windows, using it since 3.1
Also games, css
Also, because it is the most popular OS out there

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Linux is "safe" only because no one writes stuff to try and take it out. Thats it.

I prefer taking a Windows OS, then cutting off every feature I don't want in it out. Its easier to configure something that has everything you need there then to have to add everything you need on.

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Quote by MystfyreLinux is "safe" only because no one writes stuff to try and take it
out. Thats it.
I prefer taking a Windows OS, then cutting off every feature I don't
want in it out. Its easier to configure something that has everything
you need there then to have to add everything you need on.

agreed, completely

Quote by MystfyreLinux is "safe" only because no one writes stuff to try and take it out. Thats it.

I wouldn't say "no one," but yeah, more people are gunning for Windows. I still say MS makes Windows more vulnerable than it really needs to be, though (ex. giving out no-password admin accounts by default).

Quote: I prefer taking a Windows OS, then cutting off every feature I don't
want in it out. Its easier to configure something that has everything
you need there then to have to add everything you need on.

Funny, I think the opposite. If there's stuff installed that I don't need, I can never be sure that uninstalling gets rid of everything. I'll nuke the leftovers in Program Files, but I'm not as familiar with the registry.

Oh yeah, and re: Linux or Windows, there's still a few things I wish Linux had... a nice light image editor a la Irfanview, for example. XnView comes the closest, but AFAIK you can't copy-and-paste images directly into it :(

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Quote by mechRI wouldn't say "no one," but yeah, more people are gunning for Windows. I still say MS makes Windows more vulnerable than it really needs to be, though (ex. giving out no-password admin accounts by default).

Thats true, and a lot of viral processes are set to exploit that by trying to contact machines on the network through remote administrator windows account, However, it is user's duty to set a password, not MS.

Quote by hiddensnakehandsThats true, and a lot of viral processes are set to exploit that by
trying to contact machines on the network through remote administrator
windows account, However, it is user's duty to set a password, not MS.

It would be simple and minimally burdensome to have Windows ask the user set a password during account creation, but atm this is not done. The bigger task would be making limited accounts more bearable (a "sudo" equivalent would be nice) and promoting their use... we'll see how Longhorn does.

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Quote by MechR

Quote by hiddensnakehandsThats true, and a lot of viral processes are
set to exploit that by
trying to contact machines on the network through remote administrator
windows account, However, it is user's duty to set a password, not
MS.

It would be simple and minimally burdensome to have Windows
ask the user set a password during account creation, but atm this is
not done. The bigger task would be making limited accounts more
bearable (a "sudo" equivalent would be nice) and promoting their use...
we'll see how Longhorn does.

what version of windows are you installing, they do ask you to set a password, however you can bypass it if you want
a simple example, try repair a system via win 2x cd and win xp CD, in order to read the XP content, password is needed, however, 2X does not require password

Quote by hiddensnakehandswhat version of windows are you installing, they do ask you to set a
password, however you can bypass it if you want
a simple example, try repair a system via win 2x cd and win xp CD, in
order to read the XP content, password is needed, however, 2X does not
require password

I recently set up two new computers that came with Windows XP SP2 preinstalled. Didn't get asked to set passwords during account creation. Had to enable them myself after finishing setup.

Keik

TarballIUTzone

Simple - Control -My own design my Onw Computer :)

Slackware Linux :)

I really Love Linux
Windows is not Movie Friendlie you need codecs and stuff , there is no need for such things if you have MPLAYER for Linux.

Windows is a nice Os to play , but its nothing for Old Computer Freaks like me :)

brynjar

Wallpapering newbie

Windows. It get's the job done the way I want it. Have tried Gentoo, Debian, Mandrake, SuSE and Slackware, but I never could stick with any of them.

super mutant ninja otaku

Criox

Criox

~LoNe BaNcHoU oF MiNiToKyO~

Hm...I thought this thread already died long ago. XD Never expect it to be alive again. Thks guys for replying it. Anyway yea, Linux rules over window I had to agree. Using Linux as server based compie is the best choice like Minitokyo itself. Well I still have lotsa things to learn bout linux so all I can say now is linux is good for server and p2p type of compie.

~SpInnIng ThE NeW ThReAd oF CrEaTiOn~
Signature

I'd pick Microsoft Windows for now, since most software supports it, and I'm more accustomed to using it compared to Linux. In the future, when Linux becomes more popular and supported, I may decide to make the switch :) .

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Quote by MechR

Quote by hiddensnakehandswhat version of windows are you installing,
they do ask you to set a
password, however you can bypass it if you want
a simple example, try repair a system via win 2x cd and win xp CD, in
order to read the XP content, password is needed, however, 2X does not
require password

I recently set up two new computers that came
with Windows XP SP2 preinstalled. Didn't get asked to set passwords
during account creation. Had to enable them myself after finishing
setup.

start>run>control userpasswords2
see, simple as that

I am split on this because I like them both. I think at the moment Windows is more "polished", the desktop experience is more refined and therefore easier to use. On the other hand I also run Gentoo.

I have tried Mandrake 9.2, 10 and 10.1 but found the default setup to be seriously messed up. Fedora Core is aiming to take on Windows but the configuration tools aren't upto the job. I must admit Suse and Ubuntu look interesting. Suse for the choice of packages but I'm put of by the monterous YaST. Ubuntu looks to be quite reasonable, but I haven't given it a go yet.

My choice of Gentoo was based on the fact that I wanted to be able to seamlessly update my system. I built a Linux From Scratch system, but the release dates of LFS and BLFS are to far apart. By the time BLFS is released the rest of the system is out of date. My ideal distro would be Debian...if it weren't for a small issue called Xfree86. I think there the only big distro that hasn't changed over to X.org. They have a huge package repository and Debian systems tend to be quite fast as well.

For all those who want a secure O/S, try OpenBSD. I think its something like one remote secure hole in the default install in 8 years. They audit all the code so holes can be found before they cause any problems. Check it out.

breadcrust

breadcrust

glowing city lights

Quote by MystfyreLinux is "safe" only because no one writes stuff to try and take it
out. Thats it.

I take it you've never used Linux, Mac OS X, BSD, BeOS, or any other (real) non-ms operating system? One of the main reasons there are no active Linux viruses is not because no one targets it, but rather because its so hard to crack a Linux system. Some reasons I can think of why
1. LOTS of different versions of programs and the kernel are used.
2. Because of the high amount of possible customization options, the virus writer cant rely on too many hard coded program behaviours.
3. Bugs in server related programs usually have fixes released sooner.
4. Its easier to fight chackers/viruses if you know what you are doing.

Microsoft's idea of "security" is: an easy to learn, but pain in the ass to use rescriction system that sucks compared to anything from a UNIX system. One of the things that piss me off the most about Windows security, is that I cant run any programs with admin permissions unless logged in as an admin. on Linux, I could just use su, sudo, kdesu or gksu to run a super user command, or maybe a program might pop up a dialog when it requires something to be run as root, asking for the password; but under windows, there is none of that, I just simply get a "You do not have the required permissions, ha ha :-p" dialog. Oh great, so I have to log out of my regular username and log back in as admin, and go back the control panel again, just so I can enable Hibernation mode? Thank you M$, you have succeded in pissing me off once again. Good security doesnt have to mean inconveinece, yet m$ have missed that.

So yeah, I guess you can tell my primary OS is Linux (which I am using on my tower, laptop and server). :)
i also use Windows 2000 sometimes, usually for some games/emulation, testing programs on Windows, testing websites on Internet Exploder (pain in the ass), ROM hacking and PSoC (microcontroller) development. When Haiku start making beta or stable releases, I'll also be using that most of the time for my desktop computer. BeOS kicks ass! :-p

i am some what of a gamer, so it annoys me when games only run under Windows. there is even a project to help make games cross platform, but game developers always seem to think DirectX. I really have no idea why, it just seems like developers (people as well as studios) are too lazy(/stupid) to learn and try something new. One of the few exceptions to this is Blizzard, who pwn. :-)

As for the whole "user friendly" thing, it depends alot on what your definition of it is.
If it means "easy to use", then Linux can be just as user friendly, if not more than Windows.
If it means "easy to setup" (in addition to the above definition), then also, Linux is just as easy as Windows, its just that parts that might be annoying on Windows (downloading and installing all the software, for example) is easy on Linux (where you'll install it all through the package manager, and you are done, no restart), and some parts that can be a bit more challenging on Linux (text configuration files) are easier on Windows (some, but not all, configuration dialogs).
If the definition includes "easy to learn", the yes and no. If you are just talking about desktop stuff, then no Linux is just as easy as Windows, it just takes a little getting used to (but so does Windows). If you are talking about a [real] server, well then yes, Windows is easier to learn, but imho, it is worth taking longer to learn Linux, because of how much more powerful and robust it is. And if you dont find learning a new OS interesting, then maybe you just dont have your heart in sysadminning, and should find something else to do.

Have I ranted enough yet? ^^

Criox

Criox

~LoNe BaNcHoU oF MiNiToKyO~

Wow! Breadcrust sure knowledgeable. Hm...maybe i can learn some from you. Repect* Bow* Hm....this sure enough information for me to make a discussion in class already thks breadcrust. ^_^ I appreciate your reply!

~SpInnIng ThE NeW ThReAd oF CrEaTiOn~
Signature

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Quote by breadcustBOOM headshot<<<you sig

man, i would bet jeremy and doug run windows, lol rofl lol

breadcrust

breadcrust

glowing city lights

Quote by hiddensnakehands

Quote by breadcustBOOM headshot&lt;&lt;you sig

man i would bet jeremy and doug run windows rofl lol

lol omg lol! yea jeremy is noob at most stuff excpet gaming lmao at the html for the pp sight lolololo1o1o1!! i think the server is running lynucks but so yeah, thats pwnage. XD
(anyone who hasnt watched pure pwnage: watch it, then you'll understand why we are talking like idoits ;-)

Quote by Crioxthks breadcrust. ^_^ I appreciate your reply!

its no problem :)

re-reading over my post, i made a couple (now corrected mistakes). The corrected sentences are "I could just use su, sudo, kdesu or gksu to run a super user command, or maybe a program might pop up a dialog when it requires something to be run as root, asking for the password," and "...it just takes a little getting used to (but so does Windows)."

Quote by hiddensnakehandsstart&gt;run&gt;control userpasswords2
see, simple as that

Thanks, that's new to me. But it's not what I'm talking about. I'm saying Windows didn't ask me to set account passwords during account creation, when IMO there's no reason why it couldn't or shouldn't.

Breadcrust, I feel your pain re: Windows limited accounts :sweat: For regular programs you can do right-click -> Run as..., but certain settings like power management and Control Panel items are unreachable except by logging out and in. Worse yet, afaik power settings are account-specific, so the only way to change them for a limited account is to temporarily promote the account to admin status... dang, it cries out for a sudo equivalent OX

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Quote by MechR

Quote by hiddensnakehandsstart&gt;run&gt;control userpasswords2
see, simple as that

Thanks, that's new to me. But it's not what
I'm talking about. I'm saying Windows didn't ask me to set account
passwords during account creation, when IMO there's no reason why it
couldn't or shouldn't.
Breadcrust, I feel your pain re: Windows limited accounts :sweat: For
regular programs you can do right-click -&gt; Run as..., but certain
settings like power management and Control Panel items are unreachable
except by logging out and in. Worse yet, afaik power settings are
account-specific, so the only way to change them for a limited account
is to temporarily promote the account to admin status... dang, it cries
out for a sudo equivalent OX

why? cant you just logoff and switch user, i mean it is pretty fast, right?

I prefer Linux, but on my workplace Windows reign, Windows is ok... at least when works properly, and patches for Windows didn't seem to be as good as the Linux ones ;)

Signature
-+| Signature by me |+-

page 2 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 115 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.