Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Linux or microsoft windows? - Minitokyo

Linux or microsoft windows?

page 3 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 115 total items

Staff

Staff

RIP MT

Linux dominates! I was a long-time windows user... then I got tired of its slowness and moved on. Now running Kubuntu linux, it's so much better (faster loads, ease of use). Sure, many programs and games are not compatible with it... but I can live with what I can do.

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Quote by Samurai-JinI prefer Linux, but on my workplace Windows reign, Windows is ok... at
least when works properly, and patches for Windows didn't seem to be as
good as the Linux ones ;)

dude, Linux patches are performance enchancements, you know right performance enhancement drugs, lol rofl lol XP but windows updates are security patches, they are what you really need, like real drugs

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Yunsung

Yunsung

Who smokes the blunts?

only linux! MS windows is crap and you even have to pay for this crap.
linux has everything that you need and it's virus free.

Quote by Staffmany programs and games are not compatible with it...

just use Cedega or WineX and you will be able to run windows programs and games on Linux ;)

Laserowa korekcja wady wzroku <- moja strona na temat korekcji wzroku metoda PRK/LASEK

Agreed.

Well, I wonder if that's why every Windows version is slower, Windows is fine if youre a gamer but are a headache for system admins.

Signature
-+| Signature by me |+-

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Quote by Samurai-JinAgreed.
Well, I wonder if that's why every Windows version is slower, Windows
is fine if youre a gamer but are a headache for system admins.

what do you mean by slower?, windows been running fine on me since 3.1

Hey no hard feelings.

I mean that Linux eats much less resources and if you don't mind on gaming, you can stay up date even if you dont drop your PII, anyway are you a gamer hiddensnakehands?

Signature
-+| Signature by me |+-

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Quote by Samurai-JinHey no hard feelings.
I mean that Linux eats much less resources and if you don't mind on
gaming, you can stay up date even if you dont drop your PII, anyway are
you a gamer hiddensnakehands?

As a matter of fact I am, lol, sorry if I sound rude to me
But gaming is not the reason why I stick with Windows.

Quote by hiddensnakehands
As a matter of fact I am, lol, sorry if I sound rude to me
But gaming is not the reason why I stick with Windows.

Then is somewhat like user interface? Or because is user friendly? Easy setup? More comfortable?

Indeed that windows has a lot of strong points but is far from perfect, by the way Linux is not perfect, and almost any OS in this planet are far from being perfect, liking one or other is matter of taste.

I prefer Linux because I had a pc working with a linux distribution an never ever hanged, thats why.

So why do you prefer Windows?

Signature
-+| Signature by me |+-

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

well if you exactly ask me, I dont know, I never get spyware or viruses (i am very careful)
and I dont really see a need to switch to Linux, I mean if a thing aint broken, then dont go fix it (kawaiiguy). Windows runs perfectly fine on my two machines.

Quote by hiddensnakehands well if you exactly ask me, I dont know, I never get spyware or viruses (i am very careful)
and I dont really see a need to switch to Linux, I mean if a thing aint broken, then dont go fix it (kawaiiguy). Windows runs perfectly fine on my two machines.

Ok, then there is no need to change. :)

Signature
-+| Signature by me |+-

i like to use microsoft..i know that Linux is more secure, but i don't know how to use....

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Of course.... ....Part of why Linux has no viruses made is the openness of the source code to improvement, etc. Another bit is the relatively small quantity of Linux users... ...So maybe we should be quiet, and not let this precious perl get out. ;) (j/k)

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

haha, good one archer. let's not mass convert windows users and attract the attentions of malware writers. =p

i have two machines, one of each. and frankly, I'm used to using both. I use each one for a set of distinct tasks, and thus frankly, both have their advantages for my personal experience.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by EternalParadoxhaha, good one archer. let's not mass convert windows users and attract the attentions of malware writers. =p
i have two machines, one of each. and frankly, I'm used to using both. I use each one for a set of distinct tasks, and thus frankly, both have their advantages for my personal experience.

geezsh... ...Malware... I don't even want to think about that.... ...At least most Linux users know they shouldn't be on as root. ...But that hasn't stopped 'em yet. ...And well... ....i suppose the "'em" includes me 90% of the time...

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Well maybe I should try out some Linux stuff, I have only used SUSE bootable linux environment before

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by hiddensnakehands Well maybe I should try out some Linux stuff, I have only used SUSE bootable linux environment before

Hey! I'd strongly suggest Gentoo. If you need help, I'd be happy to help you get a working system started. ...And now that there's a MT Linux User's Group (lug) you should be in good hands. :D (With any distro.)

http://groups.minitokyo.net/mt-linux-users-group/

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Quote by Archer79

Quote by hiddensnakehands Well maybe I should try out some Linux stuff,
I have only used SUSE bootable linux environment before

Hey! I'd strongly suggest Gentoo. If you need help, I'd be happy to
help you get a working system started. ...And now that there's a MT
Linux User's Group (lug) you should be in good hands. :D (With any
distro.)
http://groups.minitokyo.net/mt-linux-users-group/

difference between gentoo and suse?

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Admittedly, I didn't get into SuSe too much. SuSe is definitely going to be easier to do a first-time install. ...It can generally detect and instally your hardware without any trouble. ...at all... ...Gentoo, on the other hand requires a significantly greater effort to configure. (Today...) ...But then it is easier to maintain. ...Easier to find binaries for... ...I've been very happy with it. ...I still haven't really decided if it's lenient enough for a noob yet though... ...It definitely has a couple rough edges here and there. ...But it also seems to be the Distro that's developing the quickest, and the rough edges are disappearing so very quickly.... Gentoo also pretty much is a willing participant no matter whether you want to use KDE or Gnome. ...But... Unfortunately, it's not going to recommend anything. ...If I remember correctly SuSe will.

If you do go SuSe though, I probably won't be able to help you if you get in a serious jam. ...But then again... ...My chances aren't all that great anyways... :D You might redirect this conversation to the LUG though. ...Because I'm sure someone would be happy to support you if you want to go the SuSe route.

Quote by hiddensnakehandswhy? cant you just logoff and switch user, i mean it is pretty fast, right?

1. It takes longer than doing something like sudo. Considerably longer. And when you switch back you have to reopen everything you were doing.

2. Like I say, some settings like power management are apparently only changeable by temporarily promoting the limited account to admin status. Which would go as follows:

1) Log out of limited account.
2) Log into admin account and promote limited account to admin status.
3) Log out of admin account.
4) Log into promoted account and use your new admin powers to change the desired setting.
5) Use your admin powers to demote yourself back to limited. Optionally log out/in again to let it take effect.

Regarding Gentoo, afaik it doesn't use binaries to install programs; you download and compile ebuilds by typing "emerge <program name>" in the command-line. This takes longer than installing binaries, though its users seem to like the system well enough.

I also hear its installation process is pretty hardcore, but that the documentation is excellent.

A while back I've been a SuSE-user. It's a pretty good distribution if someone wants to get started quickly. It has a good graphical installer*, a very good hardware-detection and SuSE is known for having one of the best manuals of the entire industry. The admin-handbook has more than 750 pages and there's a user-handbook explaining how to use lots of applications (OpenOffice.org, KMail etc.), too. Well, I'm talking about the german manuals, I'm not sure about the english ones but they should be about as good.

One of SuSE's disadvantages is, that it's way too bleeding edge for my tastes (I'm talking about SuSE Linux Professional and not about the SLES, I've never used SLES.). It's software is way too up to date to get everything tested properly in the short period of time before launching the next version. SuSE Linux is not buggy as hell but I've found some minor annoying bugs in every version I've used so far.

It's ease of use and it's GUI-tools are a disadvantage too (IMO), because they're hiding the complexness of Linux from it's user. You don't need to know all of those basics to sucessfully run SuSE Linux but it's advantagous if something goes wrong.

*My knowledge about Linux was close to zero when I installed SuSE 9.0 for the first time. Still, the install was easy and sucessful and I didn't even read the handbook.

There is a huge difference between suse and gentoo. in suse the system more or less sets everything up for you, you don't really need to read the handbook since its about as hard to install as windows. Gentoo on the other hand requires a little more work and understanding on how things are working. I can recommand gentoo if you are intrested in how Linux really works as they have a superb step by step guide at gentoos homepage on how to install it. Be aware that it takes time and effort though. =)

you know a dream is fake when you wake up from it...
but if you don't wake up... the dream is reality.

Linux for programmers!!!!!

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by LevianThere is a huge difference between suse and gentoo. in suse the system more or less sets everything up for you, you don't really need to read the handbook since its about as hard to install as windows. Gentoo on the other hand requires a little more work and understanding on how things are working. I can recommand gentoo if you are intrested in how Linux really works as they have a superb step by step guide at gentoos homepage on how to install it. Be aware that it takes time and effort though. =)

What Levian said. ...But I will also note that Project Chinstrap exists, and can significantly speed up the install process...

Microsoft Wiindows, because I only installed Linux and it almost destroyed my computer

page 3 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 115 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.