Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Linux or microsoft windows? - Minitokyo

Linux or microsoft windows?

page 4 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 115 total items

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by blueocean123Microsoft Wiindows, because I only installed Linux and it almost destroyed my computer

Almost destroyed?!

Maybe something was wrong with the configuration of the X-Server, if someone wants his screen to become a smoker he just needs to set the screen resolution to high.

adamcooper

adamcooper

-Here Comes Buggy-

For me Microsoft Windows is easy to use than Linux...that why I used Microsoft Windows

Signature

WE ARE..>>>!!!!

Arittakeno yume o kakiatsume
sagashi mono sagashini yuku no sa ONE PIECE

rashinban nante jyutai no moto
netsu ni ukasare kaji o toru no sa

HOKORI ka butteta takara no chizu mo
tashikameta no nara densetsu jyanai!

kojin teki na arashi wa dareka no
BIORHYTHM nokkatte
omoi sugose ba ii

arittakeno yume o kakiatsume
sagashi mono sagashini yuku no sa
POCKET no COIN, soreto
YOU WANNA BE MY FRIEND?
WE ARE, WE ARE ON THE CRUISE! WE ARE!

zembu mani ukete shinji chattemo
kata o osarete iippo LEAD sa

kondo aetanara hanasu tsumorisa
sore kara no koto to kore kara no koto

tsumari itsumo PINCH wa dareka ni
APPEAL dekiru ii CHANCE
ji ishiki kajyoo ni!

shimittareta yoru o buttobase!
takara bako ni KYOUMI wa nai kedo
POCKET ni ROMAN, soreto
YOU WANNA BE MY FRIEND?

arittakeno yume o kakiatsume
sagashi mono sagashini yuku no sa
POCKET no COIN, soreto
YOU WANNA BE MY FRIEND?

WE ARE! WE ARE!

what about OSX? I'm rocking Jaguar, no complaints.

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

Gentoo is great for anyone who wants to learn to get under the hood. I started off with a year on Red Hat (7.1), moved briefly to Mandrake, and ended up on Gentoo. I have been on Gentoo for about 3 years or so.

I am invincible!

Linux is too complecated to run stuff because hardly most devices drivers are not comatible with linux, also drivers too.

Signature

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by kevin-tanLinux is too complecated to run stuff because hardly most devices drivers are not comatible with linux, also drivers too.

It's really not as big of a deal as it used to be. ...To the contrary, I think I had more problems installing Windows XP Pro last time than I had with Gentoo. ...Fortunately, Linux is continuing to break away from those problems that have previously held it back. :D

FredGreg

FredGreg

Cynical pedant.

Funny that only one person mentioned OS X, which is more user-friendly than either & more secure than Windows; I don't use it my self, but given the points Croix made at the beginning it seems logical.

Anyway, apart from the obvious & the already said, use Linux just for the opportunity to use Konqueror as a file manager! That said, I don't, I use Windows, but that's just inertia & I'm fairly competent at keeping the system clear.

And about stability, it isn't just crashes. That used to be a problem, but it's not much of one now. The real stability difference between Windows & the Linuxes is integration & obscurity - in a Linux distro, if something goes balls-up, you can always wipe the config files, reinstall it, whatever. In Windows, if the GUI or networking or something goes balls-up, you're screwed, because you need to reinstall to fix it. All you can do is try to save your files.

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

Quote by kevin-tanLinux is too complecated to run stuff because hardly most devices drivers are not comatible with linux, also drivers too.

That isn't true at all. It simply has different drivers.

Remember, 98 drivers were not compatible with Win2K.

My 8139too and natsemi drivers aren't compatible with Windows, but they work great on Linux. Windows has their own drivers for these devices.

It's not a matter of what drivers are compatible with what, but of what OS has a driver for what devices. Speaking personally, I find that Linux tends to have more drivers available than Windows. Especially stuff that manufacturers stopped supporting.

3com SOHO NIC? Windows lacks support past 98/nt4, but Linux supports it even today. HP j2585b NIC? I haven't heard of one yet that works reliably under WinXP, but it runs fine under Linux. I have a PCI sound card kicking around somewhere that came from only God knows where, and Linux supports it.

Linux may not always have the drivers first, but I can pretty much assure you that once it does have a driver for something, it will pretty much continue to do so for as long as you care to imagine.

I am invincible!

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by FredGregFunny that only one person mentioned OS X, which is more user-friendly than either & more secure than Windows; I don't use it my self, but given the points Croix made at the beginning it seems logical.
Anyway, apart from the obvious & the already said, use Linux just for the opportunity to use Konqueror as a file manager! That said, I don't, I use Windows, but that's just inertia & I'm fairly competent at keeping the system clear.
And about stability, it isn't just crashes. That used to be a problem, but it's not much of one now. The real stability difference between Windows & the Linuxes is integration & obscurity - in a Linux distro, if something goes balls-up, you can always wipe the config files, reinstall it, whatever. In Windows, if the GUI or networking or something goes balls-up, you're screwed, because you need to reinstall to fix it. All you can do is try to save your files.

Umm... In Linux, depending on your distro I suppose, you really aren't only constrained to konquerer. Personally, I use Nautilus in gnome. ...And it seems to work fairly well. There are a few minor issues with the way it's threaded, and how it opens folders that have a large number of large images. ....It doesn't display then show the icons as they are processed. ...And that would be a nice feature. ...But overall, it displays the whole folder faster than Windows anyways.

Linux is very interesting. I prefer to run gnome, although I could have chosen KDE. ...Once you have some experience, you'll see that there is a great deal of powerful software in Linux, and you get to choose between which route you want to go. In Linux, there's freedom and utility. In MS software, there seems to be utility and cost. ...I like freedom over cost personally.

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

Actually, there are ways you can set up KDE not to use konqueror but instead to use firefox and a different file browser. As file browsers go, I personally use rox. lightweight and fast.

I am invincible!

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by BorisGrishenkoActually, there are ways you can set up KDE not to use konqueror but instead to use firefox and a different file browser. As file browsers go, I personally use rox. lightweight and fast.

Right, and to each their own. Isn't Linux wonderful?

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

Quote by Archer79Right, and to each their own. Isn't Linux wonderful?

that is precisely what makes it wonderful. Flexibility.

Oh, and in case I confused anyone, I don't use KDE these days. I use xfce4

I am invincible!

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Hmmm.... ....xfce4? I'll have to look that up.

jhujhiti

Retired Moderator

jhujhiti

Bug Exterminator

Quote by Archer79Hmmm.... ....xfce4? I'll have to look that up.

http://www.xfce.org/

Lightweight with lots of eyecandy. The only problem is the lack of a decent file manager. xffm sucks.

The new Enlightenment builds are looking pretty sweet, though. It looks like it'll be the fastest window manager in the world, plus gnome integration. http://www.enlightenment.org/

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by jhujhiti

Quote by Archer79Hmmm.... ....xfce4? I'll have to look that up.

http://www.xfce.org/
Lightweight with lots of eyecandy. The only problem is the lack of a decent file manager. xffm sucks.
The new Enlightenment builds are looking pretty sweet, though. It looks like it'll be the fastest window manager in the world, plus gnome integration. http://www.enlightenment.org/

LOL thanks. I've used Elightentment before. I would probably use it now except I'm too lazy. When I want uber-performance, I just go in with twm. ...Otherwise, I run whatever the default gnome wm is. ...I can't recall right now.

Edit: Metacity.

I'm a KDE-user and very happy with it. Konqueror is the best file-manager I've used so far (IMO) and it's a great web browser, too. (I'm currently writing this post using it.) I'm also very fond of some of the KDE-specfic applications, especially amarok, akregator, Kwrite and K3B. GNOME is great too but I just prefer KDE.

E17 is nice, because it's more lightweight than KDE an gnome and still offers lots of eyecandy. Too bad it's still not quite stable compared to KDE and GNOME.

I tried out XFCE a while back, it was nice except that I didn't find a systray and as jhujhiti already mentioned xffm sucks.

dvx

dvx

Otaku

I don't know much about linux, but my cousin reccommends me trying it. I'm too scared to partition my hard drive and install another OS. I'm pretty much broke, so i can't replace parts.
(Linux looks so cool though. maybe when i get a second comp.)

Signature Image
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by dvxI don't know much about linux, but my cousin reccommends me trying it. I'm too scared to partition my hard drive and install another OS. I'm pretty much broke, so i can't replace parts.
(Linux looks so cool though. maybe when i get a second comp.)

LOL I can't remember the name of it, but someone is selling a Linux-on-CD distro you can mess with until you want to make the big jump.

SebastianvonKane

SebastianvonKane

Omniversal lone traveler

In my school, many students have put some efforts, applied reverse engineering and have changed some things in the Windows OS.
Altough is illegal, they say they made it work faster.
I'm not sure, but they surely sacrificed some background applications for making it faster.
I think Windows can be made better than Linux (no matter if it's illegal).
I have used Linux Red Hat (supporting Intel's HT) and I rather Windows, since I can use most processing technologies (64 bits apps and higher processing power).

"You have a job to do, and so do I. Yours is to sell socks and suspenders. Mine is to cross-examine people like you and crush them".

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by SebastianvonKaneIn my school, many students have put some efforts, applied reverse engineering and have changed some things in the Windows OS.
Altough is illegal, they say they made it work faster.
I'm not sure, but they surely sacrificed some background applications for making it faster.
I think Windows can be made better than Linux (no matter if it's illegal).
I rather Windows, since I can use most processing technologies (64 bits apps and higher processing power).

Faster huh? Perhaps by sacrificing the Anti-Virus and User Management software?

No.... I don't think Windows can be any faster. ...Unlike Linux, Windows has to have so much ....stuff... up. ...Now personally, I perceive that for having the same exact amount of stuff up... ...Windows would probably be a little faster. ...Just because of the larger number of gurus they have to tweak it. ...But that said... ...Linux will always cost less... ...And be open for end-user development... ...And with very liberal software rights...

Linux is muxh more stable... nuff said.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

Quote by FabianI tried out XFCE a while back, it was nice except that I didn't find a
systray and as jhujhiti already mentioned xffm sucks.

I have a system tray running fine...must just have been tough to find. It was in the optional settings.

I agree about xffm...i replaced it with Rox because of it.

I am invincible!

Quote by BorisGrishenko

Quote by FabianI tried out XFCE a while back, it was nice except that I didn't find a
systray and as jhujhiti already mentioned xffm sucks.

I have a system tray running fine...must just have been tough to find. It was in the optional settings.

I agree about xffm...i replaced it with Rox because of it.

Found the system tray. Weird, a few weeks ago I didn't find it at all but today after work finding it was a matter of seconds. O_o

Rox is much better than xffm, thanks for the advice.

The only remaining problem is that I can't use special characters (like @) after switching to xfce. I configured my xorg.conf to use my local keymap (de-latin1-nodeadkeys). Well, there obviously are dead keys when I use xfce.

How do I use Rox to move files? I can copy them and delete the original but I didn't find a way to move them. I can use the command line to do that but moving them with Rox would be easier than opening xterm every time I want to move a file.

page 4 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 115 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.