Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Linux or microsoft windows? - Minitokyo

Linux or microsoft windows?

page 5 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 115 total items

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by shadowdeathLinux is muxh more stable... nuff said.

I will say that Windows has improved significantly on the stability front. ...So to a total noob, the stability might be about the same. ...But to a guru... ...They can really rock their pc...

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

Quote by FabianThe only remaining problem is that I can't use special characters (like @) after switching to xfce. I configured my xorg.conf to use my local
keymap (de-latin1-nodeadkeys). Well, there obviously are dead keys when
I use xfce.

Rox hasn't had the @ problem on my laptop (de with no dead keys), but I can't use ' or ~ on it. I find it really frustrating and have been temporarily using XKB to swap back and forth between en_US to use them. If I had a bit more free time I would love to find a solution to it. I will report back when I test it out on my laptop, which is mid-compile at the moment in a term (hence not wanting to exit X to test it out yet). Deadkey wierdness is a big pain in the butt.

Quote by FabianHow do I use Rox to move files? I can copy them and delete
the original but I didn't find a way to move them. I can use the
command line to do that but moving them with Rox would be easier than
opening xterm every time I want to move a file.

I have been mostly using two Rox windows to do it, just dragging from one to the other. There is probably another solution, but that is how I have been going about it. My environment is in ja_JP.UTF-8, so I have a bit of trouble reading a lot of the interface at the moment. I would ideally like a way to set up kinput2 so I can have the environment in en_US or de_DE and still use kinput2, but it has serious issues unless your environment is japanese.

I am invincible!

jhujhiti

Retired Moderator

jhujhiti

Bug Exterminator

Quote by Archer79

Quote by dvxI don't know much about linux, but my cousin reccommends me
trying it. I'm too scared to partition my hard drive and install
another OS. I'm pretty much broke, so i can't replace parts.
(Linux looks so cool though. maybe when i get a second comp.)

LOL I can't remember the name of it, but someone is selling a
Linux-on-CD distro you can mess with until you want to make the big
jump.

Knoppix.

Windows, just because Linux needs more programs

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by jhujhitiKnoppix.

Right. That's what I was thinking of.

Quote by RebuWindows, just because Linux needs more programs

Linux has a very nice office suite, and lots of games... ...What do you mean it needs more programs? It has (nice) webservers, database archtectures, etc...

100 posts and only 50 votes?! what gives?

Anyway. Linux. Way more reliable software out there than for windows.
For newbies try Suse 9.x Suse 9.x really needs no documentation and it's applications works 90%.

When you want to optimize your perfomance and understand the feel, move to gentoo. Gentoo is more advanced and time consuming, but you'll get something far better than windows will every give you. And their documentation is very well done.

We use Linux-gentoo for our "Mission critical" servers.

"May the aquisition of wealth no longer be your driving force." - freshblueO2

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish." - Mother Teresa

failure

failure

I screwed up again

Quote by freshBlueO2We use Linux-gentoo for our "Mission critical" servers.

...does...not...compute...

;-) I keed, I keed. I tried Gentoo once on a PII 300, you can't blame me for coming away with a bad impression (glibc is going to take how many DAYS to compile??!). Course that was like 2-3 years ago.

However, when I was trying to figure out the best way to optimize binaries for an old Amiga UNIX box (m68k-cbm-sysv4, Motorola 68030@25MHz) I kept coming across Gentoo forums with helpful advice. Especially considering that the latest gcc to compile past stage1 on AMIX is 2.7.2.3

**Insert witty siqnature line here.** || "Interesting anime quote" -- Cool Anime Character, Nifty Anime
Signature

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by failure

Quote by freshBlueO2We use Linux-gentoo for our "Mission critical" servers.

...does...not...compute...
;-) I keed, I keed. I tried Gentoo once on a PII 300, you can't blame me for coming away with a bad impression (glibc is going to take how many DAYS to compile??!). Course that was like 2-3 years ago.
However, when I was trying to figure out the best way to optimize binaries for an old Amiga UNIX box (m68k-cbm-sysv4, Motorola 68030@25MHz) I kept coming across Gentoo forums with helpful advice. Especially considering that the latest gcc to compile past stage1 on AMIX is 2.7.2.3

Project Chinstrap has pre-compiled binaries for some x86 systems, so you don't have to pull your hiar out if you can't withstand the compile times. :D

Fresh Blue, if you haven't already, I suggest you join MT-LUG ...We'd be happy to have you I'm sure.

Quote by freshBlueO2100 posts and only 50 votes?! what gives?

Repeat posters, of course ;)

kouta84

kouta84

+ NeKo +

i use windows , because easy ^^

Signature

kouta84

kouta84

+ NeKo +

Signature

kouta84

kouta84

+ NeKo +

Signature

Depending on your experience and willingness to learn, I would recommend windows for day to day use simply because of the support base on the internet as well as the simplicity of the installation of programs and codecs. Linux is good once you get it running, but unless you spend a lot of time studying up it'll quickly go right over your head. Even user-friendly distributions like Ubuntu are beyond the average user.

Quote by CrioxLinux is more secure and safe to use but not user friendly! Microsoft
windows is user friendly and simply! Which of them will u choose?

well i choose Mac OS X which is stable and secure while being user friendly

Signature
"People who still use 800*600 should be shot"

i use linux and windows

Quote by AOJLinux is very hard to learn to Win users; but it's really better. No
locks, more stable. But you can say Bye bye to the majority of good
games. Developers ar always thinking in Win and DirectX :(. I think
this is one of the reasons that people don't feel comfortable with
linux, because the cannot play lots of games ...

Linux hard :|
You amaze me.

It takes me longer to configure a network in windows then in linux...
In windows you need to read cryptic descriptions while most linux distro's are straight to the point and have explained what you should fill in if you are a normal user.

+ Linux is realy well documented, we can't say that about windows...
I couldn't even find in the windows documentation how to get my pc out of stand by again...
While the linux documentation explains all sutch stuff straigh to the point.

I have used Windows for like almost 10 years. And it taked me 2 years to get used from win 95 to xp. It taked me a half day to get used to linux...

Linux is called hard, but in some cases the only problem is drivers.
And that is because companies are to lazy to make linux drivers. Eventough they are not that hard to port.

ThePanda

ThePanda

Muffin Bucket

Windows. God forbid I actually have to reboot. The terror..

I haven't tried linux out because I simply don't feel like it. Too much trouble.

Signature

I'm currently using Windows X P, so....
Can't wait for the Longhorn release XD

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

sadotsu

sadotsu

Neko-sama

Neither. Mac!!

Brownie the Cat

page 5 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 115 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.