Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Internet identity - Minitokyo

Internet identity

page 1 of 1 19 total items

Keiichi-K1

Belldandy, my goddess

with the use of the internet for chatting, forum posting etc becoming more popular, i wonder how "real" can people when they're chatting or forum posting. I mean could you really believe that the person is saying what they would say in real life conversation? also the age, background and even gender of the person is only what you see in the texts on screeen.
Have you ever wondered? Maybe people use the internet this way because it gives them the chance to be someone they want to be eg show a different personality they could not show in everyday life. What are your views on this? or even what you think of internet in general?

Makhan

Makhan

Eccentric Angel

I think that's fairly accurate... I mean, I don't behave the nearly the same way on the internet that I do in real life. I tend to be alot more outgoing on forums and such than I do in school, let alone other places with people I know even less. However, in a very real way, I kinda feel that my internet identities are just as real as the identity I have at home or school. Really all you are, when you think about it, is how you perceive yourself combined with how others perceive you, and if how others perceive you changes from place to place or situation to situation, then who you are also has to change accordingly.

Yes, I did sorta develop my philosophy there partially thanks to NG Evangelion. ;)

Signature
New Wallpapers: Monochrome Etude
Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein.

Keiichi-K1

Belldandy, my goddess

yes Makhan that is true, nobody can tell you if you're really being yourself or not, only you yourself would know. And who knows maybe the very thing in question is what makes you who yo u are.

Palin88

Palin88

Complete Noob

Hmm, I read somewhere that the more personal identifiers that you are forced to provide, the more you'll act like you do in the real world. Example, giving your real name and age, or in some cases full contact information. The internet is liberating because if you screw up, if you embaress yourself, if you say something stupid, you don't feel like you've lost any real social standing. If you wanted to, you can change your name or just stop going to a particular site and instantly you're a new person again.

"I wanted to throw in some irony by using a feminist word to explain that I like boobies."

Lord_Tensai_III

A Gentleman and a Scholar

The internet is one of the few places that one gets to interact with others solely with their personality alone. You can be the shyest person in the world and be outgoing in a forum or chat room. That's what makes internet communication so great.

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

lol - Just like what character you want to depict in yourself, really.

With the internet, you really don't have to shy away from others, because behind the screen, it's all about who you are inside, and it can be a wonderful thing to get to know the person by chatting with them of course.

It is dangerous as well, since stalkers are out there - but I can guarantee you a lot, that the information they give about themselves is pretty falsified.

Heck, it would even be hard to trust if they are who they say they really are unless you know them as a person and have met them before in real life.

I would like to say that I even give out fake information on chats because obviously I am very overprotective of myself - I will claim to be a 15 year-old high school girl just for the heck of it and they will believe me. But when I pretend to be a 50-year old lady, then the interests are thrown away from me - you see - it's all about how well you guard yourself, of course. Don't always give out your true information, and don't give out your first name or last name along with your actual picture.

There are stalkers who will go out there just to hunt you down - the world is a scary place, indeed for younger children.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

I have been in a lot of communities, met a lot of people. A lot of people use chats or forums for role playing, showing a different personality then in real life.
I also met a lot of people later in real life so i can tell the difference pretty good. I know for example a guy who always joined a chat as a girl. Made it easier to chat with girls of this age i guess.
Most of the time its pretty easy to tell wether an internet identity is fake or not. but some people are really good with it...

becuase of these reasons i tend not to chat with those i dont know. but i do make some exeptions for time to time

Elesiel

Elesiel

Black winged dreamer

Well but that what makes internet interesting :)
Chanse to be "you" without borders of real ppl that you have to think about around you.
You can tell what you want and feel what you want without fear to be missinderstanded or hated. Cose if someone doesn't like you in internet he can just ignore you and it won't hurt as much as it would irl ^^
And hey internet lets you show your inner "me". How can you tell that if it would be possible you would not be born as driad or dragon. If your heart is one of the elf you can become one in the internet ^^
So it kinda gives you freedom.. Well there are sad pnes that just use it for mean things but there are bad ones and good ones always :)

Rain drops sings and I sing along...

Quote by Elesiel Cose if someone doesn't like you in internet
he can just ignore you and it won't hurt as much as it would irl ^^

Ah, i dont think that thats entirely true. Sure, you cant be hurt physically. But they dont tend to ignore you. You can be the target of mobbing in the internet too. People who hate you can sometimes change your dearest community to a hellish place or destroy it.

I met my girlfriend, who I've been with for nearly four years and am now living with, on the internet... and I knew for certain that she was being herself, that I could trust her.

It's easy to not be your real self online, but it's equally easy for anyone with decent perception skills to tell whether someone is being themselves or not, I think. :)

Tatsumi09

Tatsumi09

Seeker of Inner Peace

Internet makes most people anonymous.
I, for example, am totally different when online than when in the real world. Probably because most people around would laugh at the fact that I listen to J-music or even watch anime. Yeah, the world I live in is quite messed up, and the only way to not have it go against you is to act the way people around you expect. (Culture and Traditions are a pain ^^").

However in both worlds I behave myself, as in no excess cursing or that. Other people take advantage of being anonymous and be @55holes.

Quote by WoofieI met my girlfriend, who I've been with for nearly four years and am
now living with, on the internet...

Hihi, same for me. But we felt in love only after we met personally.

Katsumoto

Katsumoto

Baka-san ^^

I'm like what I'm not in real life on the internet ;D ;) :) I'm like pervert, Cocky, acting dumb and really bad at rp:ing *laughs* :D

Someone has a nice ass O.o

Keiichi-K1

Belldandy, my goddess

I guess the internet chats and forums give people a fresh new start in sociolising, it enables people to break out of a personality labeling theyve been given by others. Plus it breaks down the barriers of looks etc , you can't judge a book by it's cover.

hmm... yknow what I DONT like about internet chatting? for example, you fall in love wtih some girl you like because of her personality on the NET, who in heck knows what she looks like on the outside world? btu I like it cause you can make great FRIENDS(period) and express ideas and things that maybe people around you dont know or are aware of, like a foreign band, or a unknown snack

Signature

Keiichi-K1

Belldandy, my goddess

the internet does open up the world for everyone and overcomes barriers with regards to location, language, status etc
But and this is a big but, it opens the world to many dangers as well for example terrorist groups could set up sites to communicate with each other or various hate groups could set up sites to convert volatile minds to their twisted way of thinking. It is our responsibility as good honest to heart people of our blue mother earth to stop this.

Palin88

Palin88

Complete Noob

Commenting about "twisted" ways of thinking is dangerous. I just say that because it's so easy to turn "different" values into "evil" values. Still, you're right in saying that the internet allows people to find other individuals who think and feel the same way. Anime is a good example. Without the internet, it's just a scattering of fans all across the world trying to get ahold of information. With the internet Anime fans can cluster together into huge groups. So although there might only be a half dozen people in my home town who are anime fans, I connect to Minitokyo and there are hundreds of people to talk to.

"I wanted to throw in some irony by using a feminist word to explain that I like boobies."

sUmm3r

{{cRaZy_B3auTifuL}}

internet is kinda scary since there are pedophiles evrywhere..*shivers*

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

page 1 of 1 19 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.