Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Popularity and exposure of "selected" anime - Minitokyo

Popularity and exposure of "selected" anime

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Keiichi-K1

Belldandy, my goddess

I seem to have noticed that particular animes that theoretically should be well-known but nobody have even heard of them. However animes that are not even available on DVD are highly recognised.
I have a theory (this is just one theory of mine and does not necessarily reflect my personal view) that this is because fans do not watch anime that are readily available to them but instead opt to download fansubs of animes not yet released in their home country. Reason is that they think that the animes on DVD they can buy at anytime they want or maybe wait for prices to go down, therefore they would rather spend the time watching fansubs of new anime. This way they get to see something that they would less likely to see and makes the freetime they have to watch anime all the more that enjoyable.

I can illustrate with an example:
Tenjou Tenge is not yet released outside of Japan yet many people know what it is and this is evident by the fact that the MT gallery for it is quite large. On the other hand a series like Najica Blitz Tactics which have been released on region 1 DVD is less well known or watched this is reflected by the relatively small gallery on MT.
Of course the actual popularity of anime effects the number of pictures but you get the idea.
What do you think?

nekkibasara1213

FCB Forever

I think the answer lies in the massive growth in fansubs over the last couple of years.

Signature Image
Bomber! A sound more powerful than missiles.

Kei-kun

Kei-kun

Loving Mizuho

Quote by Keiichi-K1I have a theory (this is just one theory of mine and does not necessarily reflect my personal view) that this is because fans do not watch anime that are readily available to them but instead opt to download fansubs of animes not yet released in their home country. Reason is that they think that the animes on DVD they can buy at anytime they want or maybe wait for prices to go down, therefore they would rather spend the time watching fansubs of new anime. This way they get to see something that they would less likely to see and makes the freetime they have to watch anime all the more that enjoyable.

Yes I agree with that. However that's just a partial explanation.
Perhaps the reason why some not yet released titles are popular is because people just go and dig out what's available for FREE from fansubs.
Hehehe, they think: Nah, I'll pass on the DVDs, might as well go for something that's free rather than waste money on a plastic case and fancy cover.

Quote by nekkibasara1213I think the answer lies in the massive growth in fansubs over the last couple of years.

Yup true again. The reason why some aren't as popular than others is because of the fansubs. Depending on the history of an anime title that was or wasn't fansubbed, the magnitude of the distribution affects the popularity of course. If say some anime series got fansubbed and some people downloaded it, but they don't like it, then they'll just not bother seeding, thus less sources are available should other people want to download that anime title.

dnmax

dnmax

That Man

the popularity of anime doesn't usually have to do with the medium which it is available... well it does, but let's ignore that... <_< an anime's popularity has to do with the number of people who randomly choose it promoting it in communities. if it appeals to a large number of people, it spreads like wild fire (Naruto) if it's an uncommon genre/not very good (maybe Najica?) it barely spreads at all...

as for the MT galleries, that has to do with popularity of series, but also the availability of source material.

nekkibasara1213

FCB Forever

The popularity of anime is often decided by the fansubbers themselves in that they choose what to sub.

Look ar AIR TV for example. In the last 3 days almost 10 groups have released a version of episode 1. Whereas great shows like Tsukuyomi ~ Moonphase and Kannazuki no Miko are only released by one or two studios. Why AIR was mass distributed I don't know, but KnM is a great series and deserves just as much attention.

Signature Image
Bomber! A sound more powerful than missiles.

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.