Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Misleading Thumbnails - Minitokyo

Misleading Thumbnails

page 1 of 1 9 total items

kiri-chan

kiri-chan

Casual Waller

It's just something that can't be helped.

Some thumbnails make the wallpaper seem sucky so nobody clicks it to see it, when in reality, the wallpaper is really good!

Other times, the thumbnail makes the wallpaper look good and many people dl/comment/fav it when it's not that good T_T

What do people use as criteria to see a wallpaper? what do you look for in a thumbnail when browsing MT?

shirahana

white flower

I go for the thumbnails that have some type of layout in them... Meaning for scenic walls, everything has to be placed in a way so it looks rather real. The colors have to look good, too. If in the thumbnail, the colors are too shocking, too saturated, or too dull, then in the bigger image, it's probably not going to be much better. The exception would be wallpapers with "black" backgrounds... simply because they're often starfields, and it's hard to see the stars in the thumbnails >__<; Also, if I see something that just looks interesting in any way, I'll click it.

As for thumbnails that turn me off... They're usually the ones that just have a character over a one-step filter rendered background -_-;

Signature Image Layouts, wallpapers, avatars, templates, brushes, and tutorials for you ^-^;

. . . I express myself. Do you?

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

I never take the thumbnail for what its worth, sometimes it looks better, others it looks horrid, I don't review a wall until I have it on my desktop so I know how it feels and how it looks overall. It is so true though....thumbnails can sometimes be very misleading so thats why I never review something based on the thumbnail alone. Just as Shira said, if I like what I see, I'll continue the examination and look at the whole thing in general, then I put it on my desktop and see how it goes from there, if it passes all three of those, I review it. Good topic Kiri, something that everyone should take into considerating when reviewing walls.

Signature Image

Bisuketto

Bisuketto

"Conversational Fountain"

I totally agree with CB :) I put WPs on the desktop to see what they look like... 9 times out of 10 though if the pic looks good (at full size) it normally fits as a wp... I wonder if people actually check their walls on the desktop...?
It does dissapoint me when the thumbnails say a different story... I do judge them on thumbnails as I don't want to waste MTs bandwith looking at every WP or pic... Its hard to say what I look for in a thumbnail... one that stands out amongst the rest... the character of main focus of the WP is clear from the tn... and the general feel of the BG can be seen from a tn... unless there is heaps of little techy buts I havent seen many WPs look better than the TN shows... but then again I wouldn't know ^_^'

'I set the timers for six minutes, the same six minutes you gave me, it was the least I could do for a friend'
'If it's not broken, don't fix it'
Signature

kiri-chan

kiri-chan

Casual Waller

Another thing that can be easily spotted in a wallpaper is color scheme. Does it fit together? That sort of thing.

MoonlightEternity

MoonlightEternity

::Amayasuki::

if the thumbnail looks disturbing (too many body parts showing, or too much skin showing) i don't click on it, unless the background looks nice. Maybe its just me, but i don't like those types of images. But otherwise, I'd look at anything that interests me. But sometimes I do see wallies, or scans that aren't as good as they look in thumbnails....

It can't really be helped tho, can it? i guess it just leaves a little mystery to the image itself ^^

Signature Image
::MoonlightEternity aka Kimi-chan::

I look for the general layout of the image and the colour of it. But I agree, some of the details just cannot be seen in the thumbnails, and sometimes it's those details that make a great wallpaper.

This is a great topic kiri-chan. I'm not sure how to answer it though ^_^' I just click what catches my eye.
I'd have to agree with MoonlightEternity and gauyeng118.
The subject of the scan/wp is important. Even if the bg of the wp is awesome, if the subject is uninteresting, blurry, or just *ahem*ugly, I probably won't click the thumbnail.

kiri-chan

kiri-chan

Casual Waller

Sometimes it's just so hard to tell the quality of the wallpaper because of the reduced size of the thumbnail. Sometimes I see the original and it's just so fuzzy! And I think, "This could have been a great wallpaper" because that's what it looked like from the thumbnail.

Another thing is if the character looks like he/she belongs in the scene. Some people are really great with making it look like the artist intended for the character to be wherever they are set. Some just look like a background with a random character pasted on top that isn't integrated into the whole scene.

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to Off-topic Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.