Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Elevator Etiquette? - Minitokyo

Elevator Etiquette?

page 1 of 1 21 total items

OracleAngel

Retired Moderator

OracleAngel

-... de lovbot-

Through the sands of time people have made inventions such as a pulley to bring us to higher places which led to higher lofts of housing such as buildings, apartments and skycrapers...which inturn gave us "The Elevator" which can sometimes accomodate 12 people or more, box or Rectangular in figure it brings the whole community in one roof. But through the years of experience people dont seem to speak or communicate to one another in it, its like a dead room full of zombies who hear the musac of the girl from Ipanema...and when the floor bell rigs and the doors open then it just starts all over again!

So to make it short do you think we people have a "Elevator etiquette" problem?

Are we so scared of talking with people who we see sometimes, occasionally or who just live in the same building as us and dont know who they are?

Dont you just want to have a good working or beautiful day where people just talk to people or should we all be silent like 1984. o_o

jackalx66

jackalx66

Blau Mond

erm
what do u expect :\
esp in mall or public places, that we dun know each other
but hey , if i met someone i knew, def i will say hi or char with him/her XD
and bout the etiquette ^^
i just know that, we must priority ppl that come out from elevator ;)
[correct me if i'm wrong , okay ^^ ]

and i dun scared to talk to strangers, just precaution act or sometimes too busy to recognized if there's ppl in there :\ [busy hour , etc , u know what i mean >_< ]

and , yes , i just wanna have good working :D
but ussualy depend on the situation i have
there's a work time so it have fun time too :D
and i can be really annoying when in fun time ;)

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

moonwick

-=Simple Waller=-

elevators are used as a traveling vessel right? and it is public.. Many people can ride it, usually, 12. Any person can ride on it. I think people are not on speaking terms inside the elevator is that."It is a short period of time that we should talk" "I dunno you And you dunno me". I dont know. But we only use elevators in malls and hotels.. ^^

signature and avatar made by me.. tutorial from shinta
Signature
-=Simple Is Beautiful=-
Yahoo Messenger : moonwickwebmaster@yahoo.com

Moonbeam

Moonbeam

M i n i t o k y o

(I want to start you off...nevermind took to long to write. second?third?)

Well, think it matters on the individual/personality.
I am a friendly type and generally easy to approach and talk to. Note: Like helping lost people looking at a map. :) Others give the vib :( of "too busy to talk" or "don't talk to me." I look at a person's face :) or :( to see if they are approachable before I strike a conversation.

Actually....in an appartment elevators, someone is leaving their home or coming back home, right? In our busy society, a person leaving is thinking of the errands/goal/work they need to do once they get to ground floor and a person coming back is either thinking of what to cook/do/clean or to just rest from a busy day. Which is understandable.

It's true that sometimes we become zombies, but it is a price we sometimes pay to keep up with our lives and society (at least in the u.s.) Those who can't keep up, get left behind. I like talking/meeting people, but when I am rushing or busy I talk less.

Overall, you just gain a new experience, maybe make a new friend. I'll think about this thread the next time on an elevator. :)

Signature

Stolen

Stolen

*~*Burning Wings*~*

I think usually the elevators that I usually travel in nowdays would have a good vibe of business like - like moonbeam said its the vibe of 'too busy to talk' and they're slightly scary people anyway.

Yet you go in the elevator at uni or college, and people are always having a laugh even if you don't know them - people who are with their friends seem to not care if people around them in the elevator even notice them tell naughty jokes - or something like that.

But maybe when you're on your own you can't hide behind your friends and your own conversations, and most people I would have thought would have considered it more polite to be quiet during the ride.

Its an odd question - maybe its just to do with confidence as well - people who have loads of confidence probably wouldn't care or even notice they were standing in an elevator full of people, whereas really under confident people probably would freak out about how they are going to be judged and what they may do wrong, and how they may trip outside the door.

*~* Please Don't Leave - Believe Me *~*

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

I do know what you mean though. There is an air of tension upon entering and I sometimes find it heard to speak to my own friends in an elevator. It is quite weird T_T .

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

Personally, I think elevator small talk is pointless. It's strains, usually awkward for both parties, and, unless you're in the Empire State Building, generally lasts thirty seconds, if you're lucky. If you actually have something meaningful you need to say to the other person, it's fine to say it, but you might as will not go digging for something if it isn't there.

Leukoxyte

+ easy breezy +

i guess it just feels awkward to talk to a stanger anywhere, not just in the elevator. if you just arrived at work and you see someone whom you meet every morning but do not know him/her in person, it is polite to say 'good morning'. either than that , i feel that it is a lil' weird.

even when i am in school with my friends, we can be joking loudly at the elevator lobby, but when we get in, we usually talk in hushed voices unless we are alone in the elevator. i guess that the small space in an elevator makes it uncomfortable to speak loudly in the presence of others......

++ avatar image by SEED MODE: ON ++ ++ siggy image by woodck ++

Signature

Skillzpay

Skillzpay

Graduated Magna Cum Laude!

lol interesting topic, suppose I'll chime in as I'm in elevators everyday since my college of business building at my uni is 4 stories so that's pretty much how I get up and down. I'd definitely say people feel way too uncomfortable talking to people that they don't know. And if you're in an elevator with your friend(s) you want some privacy and don't necessarily want others hearing what you're discussing, so that's another factor I'd say.

i think it matters in what place you live in. where i live, around san jose people keep to themselves so they dont try to be social. in stockton on the otherhand which is my current residence, every is quite sociable sense it is a more close community. the area is kinda ghetto and it seems almost everyone knows each other. i know this doesnt relate to specifically an elevator but i think its the same kinda idea

chip

chip

ecchi lover, linux sensei

the elevator is a great place to flirt, if you happen to find yourself entering it with a pretty girl ^_^

shhho

shhz!

hmm don't know abt any etiquette but i think.. just keep left.. so that those ppl in a hurry can climb up thru the "right lane" lol

Lord_Tensai_III

A Gentleman and a Scholar

I think one of the biggest reasons that elevator talk isn't that common is because it's looked down upon. We've all experienced the awkwardness of one guy talking on his cell phone in an elevator while the rest of us our silent or two people carrying on a loud conversation that no one else really understands because they didn't hear the first parts of the conversation. So, instead of getting uncomfortable stares or risk being considered rude, we just keep to ourselves on elevators.

Well, I know I use the elevator to get from on part of the building to the next. So, I'm not in a talking mood. I just want to get in and get out. Of course, if somebody says hi or looks at me, it's only polite to acknowledge their existence and say hi back.

Signature

AngelKate

AngelKate

~*Lady Sweetness*~

I dunno, I've never really found the need to talk to someone else in an elevator. If someone says hi to me though, I'm more than happy to talk with them. I just have never found the need to start a conversation that will last 30 seconds with someone I'll most likely never see again.

Signature
Not really walling much anymore D: Feel free to browse my gallery, though!
Thank you for the siggy and avy, Kitten! ^_^

Last year I learned that it's inpolite to stare at people in elevators. I never knew that so I would just stare at em (still do) because what else is there to look at. Beyond that I rarely speak to the people unless it's a just a silly circumstance that forces us to say something :/

There's really no time to start a conversation with someone in an elevator.
Maybe "How's it going" or "Good morning" or something at max. I mean come on, you're in there for less than a minute.

An elevator is an elevator. It is used to get from one floor to another. Unless I know someone else on it, I usually smile or say hello. Being polite is a good idea., but basicly everyone is just minding their own business.

Signature Image

* : )

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

LOL - I was interested by the content of this thread, that I had to give some input here.
Your approach to the topic is similar to mine in a sense - its pretty shocking nonetheless. **Snickers** Anyways, on with the show.

Quote by OracleAngelSo to make it short do you think we people have a "Elevator
etiquette" problem? Are we so scared of talking with people who we see
sometimes, occasionally or who just live in the same building as us and
dont know who they are?

Yeah - to me, I'm pretty shy myself and I normally am not the type of person who approaches everyone with a big smile on their face and yaps like a chatterbox would around school - lol, that's not me. I normally would save the embarassment of saying a random hello to a stranger rather than say something at all. It would take a lot for me to say it out of thin air, or in the blue, of course.

But I can sense the tension of not saying anything to the same people over and over again at campus, around school - or at the elevator. I know exactly what you mean. lol

Quote by OracleAngelDont you just want to have a good working or beautiful day where people
just talk to people or should we all be silent like 1984. o_o

I can't remember 1984 at all - wasn't born that time. **Snickers** But I wouldn't mind - I'd prefer silence here actually.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

cel i think he means the book...1984..anyways..
i think most people know its better not to say anything because if you say something dumb
or the person you talk with does..then your stuck with that person in a closed room for a few minutes..ackwardness takes over and that what most people want to avoid XD

o_O-0
weeeeeeeee

beethoven

beethoven

darkness

don't fart don't talk on your celphone and don't hit every button or if i'm there i'll smack upside the back of the head

Only in the dark of your soul can you reveal the light of your heart" Stephen Penton
Signature

page 1 of 1 21 total items

Back to Off-topic Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.