Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Do you exist? - Minitokyo

Do you exist?

page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 113 total items

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

mmmm In a reply to a post , SWPIGWANG stated that many things are theories... ...But that the only thing that has truely been proven is the self.

...I'm not sure that's right.

Certainly, the idiom "I think and therefore I am" ...Rene Descartes... applies. ...But are we what we think we are? Are our bodies even really here? My.... ....I don't think I'll truely, deeply ask a such questions, as it is an assumption I have made. (And probably must make. ;) )

So.... ...Tell me. Do you exist? How do you know that you exist? ....Do you exist as you perceive yourself? Are you sure? Is that how everyone else perceives you? Is this all really the Matrix?!

;) Have fun folks. The quote provided is out of context, and is a part of a much larger conversation.

Quote: There is only something to prevent the distortion of the education system for the subverting agenda of a minority. The fact is that if we go by deep skepticism, only the existence of the self is proven, and education is pointless because nothing is proven. If one wants to be fair and not confuse and decieve children, than one should have every textbook covered with "unproven" stickers. To do otherwise is hypocrisy.

Read some philosophy books on episomology (perferablely kant) rather than asking equally ignorant people that populate most forums.

Quote: ...I'm not sure that's right

Depends on your definition of "proof", but lets just say according to hume, there ain't anything.

Quote: I don't think I'll truely, deeply ask a such questions, as it is an assumption I have made. (And probably must make.

[creationist]BUT IT IS ONLY A theory, therefore we don't have to care[/creationist] You've got no proof and you expect us to believe you? Because the religion of zaku worship states that lamer posters don't exist in reality, Archer79 obvious is an object of pure imagination.

---------------
knowledge is relative to piroi. Without piroi, there is no knowledge, however piroi can not be proven. One can either accept piori or complete ignorance.

Seig Jion....Seig Jion

KorganoS

KorganoS

Busy atm ^_^;;

quoting from my most favorite anime ever (Serial Experiments Lain) :
"i exist because there are at least one person in this world who believes in my existence"
it means if there's no one in this world believes that you exist, then you don't exist at all, even if you try to convince yourself that you are exist...

even God wouldn't exist if there's no one in this world believe in God's existence...

not being religious here, tho ^_^'

the point is, your existence is rather a fact of how others perceive you... and you can't decide your own existence, but indeed you can make others notice your existence, and that's all us humans do to survive...

For HQ anime pieces of art
visit : [FRAGMENTS] - www.crash.inweb.dk

Hey, forums are for opinions and mine is that if I feel, then I exist; I can only proove MY existance to myself. I wouldn't be so certain as to say I can proove the existance of others though. Kind of is the opposite of the Lain philosophy lol. If one goes too deeply into this sort of thing one has to start asking even more general questions like "what is my definition of 'proof'?" I don't think this question has such a definite answer that you can call anyone "wrong." I find that one can find truth in a lot of things that people say about general and deep questions if they have an open mind.

Signature
"Eloi, Eloi, lema... sabachthani..."

Kwadjo

zionist

Here is a short answer... Is?

Signature

winterlilac09

winterlilac09

white freed by her savior~

Quote by KorganoSquoting from my most favorite anime ever (Serial Experiments Lain) :
"i exist because there are at least one person in this world who believes in my existence"
it means if there's no one in this world believes that you exist, then you don't exist at all, even if you try to convince yourself that you are exist...
even God wouldn't exist if there's no one in this world believe in God's existence...
not being religious here, tho ^_^'
the point is, your existence is rather a fact of how others perceive you... and you can't decide your own existence, but indeed you can make others notice your existence, and that's all us humans do to survive...

Korgie-kyun here makes the best arguement. So I'm gonna go with him.

To reiterate:: Someone or something only exists because other people or other things believe that they exist.

f a l l i n g . i n t o . s w e e t . c e l e s t i a l . d r e a m
l i g h t . i n . s h e e r . a n d . s i m p l e . s l e e p

Signature Image

There are good points stated there too. Maybe I should just give up and live, lol. Too much deep thought can't be too healthy.

Signature
"Eloi, Eloi, lema... sabachthani..."

HamsterJohn

HamsterJohn

Defender of ur Mom

You see my post? Good. That means you exist. Close thread.

000011111 11110000111 000111 111 111 !!!!oneone one

Stop wasting the internet!

Kachie-chan

Kachie-chan

"Kay-chee-chan"

Um.. *pinches self*..

Ow! XO Ii-ee..

I exist, I exist.. *sniff*..

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

LOL I do see your post. Or at least I think I do. I think my eyes are showing me this but I'm not certain I can be sure. Certainly, it is something I'm reasonably confident in, but can I be sure?!

Kimaris

Kimaris

Still rolling on

The difference between who you are and who you think you are is larger than anything else.
But remember this - "What you do in life, echos in eternity" - me.

"How do you prove that you exist?
Maybe we don't." - Vivi, ffix

*yawn*
=================================================================
A member of the [Naruto Fan Group] and [MT-UK]

Suicide-Demon

Suicide-Demon

L!f3 !5 H3LL

I don't think we're living in the matrix.
Have you seen the 2nd and 3rd movie?
Then you'd know that there's nothin' like a Matrix.
I think Kachie-chan's right.
Pain's the one and only answer to your question!
C U

Assumption 1: The number of communities of Extraterrestrial Intelligence (N) in the Milky Way is given by the Drake formula.

Humans multiply exponentially. Since they are our only model for intelligent life (and a lousy one at that), we can assume that ETs will reproduce like rabbits too. With time as a variable:
Assumption 2: Total population of intelligent life in the Universe is approaching Infinity as Time progresses

A theory proposed in 1948 known as "the Steady State Theory" coupled with Georges Lemaitre's Big Bang Theory would suggest a universe that will expand forever.
Assumption 3: The Universe's volume is approaching infinity as Time progresses.

With all those assumptions in mind, let us consider the Universe's population per unit volume, given by the equation, N=Population/Volume, and let Time approach Infinity.
But since both Population(Infinity)=Infinity and Volume(Infinity)=Infinity

the Universe's population per unit volume as t approaches Infinity = Infinity/Infinity = does not exist

Therefore, we do not exist.

Wicked explanation, ain't it? XD

o_0 I think it was supposed to be more of a philosophical question than a math question

suzuki

Shut up the fuck you must!

I do not exist I'm all in your mind.

The equation works, doesn't it?

Seriously, our existence is something that formal knowledge like Math or Logic cannot adequately explain.

While some may argue that we do exist, we forget that out minds have the capability to make up stuff like unicorns and bottomless pits. Thus, what we think are possible scenarios (us part of some Matrix-like system or just hologram images; including cases when we think that we really exist), may just be what they are: silly, made-up and pointless.

MistressPookyChan

MistressPookyChan

I bwee, therefore I am.

I believe we exist, but what does it MEAN to exist?

Signature Image
-----| feeling : blah. | UserPage V1 : RO Succubus in pink | Latest Creation (BLEACH) |-----
Groups: Oldsters (a) - Nippon Foods (a) - Widescreen-Wallers (a) - Japanese (m)

Ah, using words whose meanings we don't really know has always been a problem.

But mind you, we brought this problem to ourselves. The word "exist" was originally meant to refer to a concept and now we are questioning what this concept is. I say that one exists when he/she believes that she does. I think it's one of the strongest yet most unstable assumptions one could make because no one could contend with nor defend that claim.

There's a philosopher who doubted everything but the one thing he could not doubt was himself doubting. ;)

If I think that god is a perfect jelly dounut that exists which I hold in my hand, it obviously exists! :nya: *eats dounut, and is happy now that anything can be wished to existence by thinking about it*(thinks about hentai doujinshi)

Quote by RevueThe equation works, doesn't it?

No, as approach infinity != infinity.

Quote: There's a philosopher who doubted everything but the one thing he could not doubt was himself doubting.

Wrong, because if one doubts logic, than one can doubt and not doubt at the same time. (double think is not allowed under a logical fame work, but if you throw logic out....people do throw logic out in real life as well)

------------------------------------------------------------------
If you presume that knowledge, logic and thought "exists", than the rest of existence is quesi-trivial via relation. The actual properties of existence might be unknown and perhaps unknowable, but it is irrevelent to a proof of existence, only a proof of mechanism.

Seig Jion....Seig Jion

DeusIth

The universe in a dot

Quote by KorganoSquoting from my most favorite anime ever (Serial Experiments Lain) :
"i exist because there are at least one person in this world who
believes in my existence"
it means if there's no one in this world believes that you exist, then
you don't exist at all, even if you try to convince yourself that you
are exist...

but then, how do you know those who believe in you exits? there has to be someone who think they exist and since it cant be you (because that would lead to a infinite loop) a 3rd being has to exist and believe in them, and so on... therefore, someone will be the last one "existing" but since there's no one else that beliebes in that being, it cannot exist, thus none of us exists

I'll rarher go with Descartes' theorem (I think and therefore I am) which literally transaltes to "i think, then i exist" which is an already proven logical truth (p -> q ; P then Q) that theorem is true as long as P is not false... and since i could think all this pointless chatter, i beliebe i exist

period ^_^

so you think you dont exist¿
wel if you dont exist you dont Need to do things right???? .....right!
well then

then dont breath just dont breaht anymore

look what wil happen

you'll find your awnser there

digitalRonin

Broken Dreamer

In reference to the first post, according to my philosophy professor (man he was great) the actual quote is "I am thinking, therefore I am". So since i am thinking currently i exist in some form or another, but I'm pretty sure the rest of you are just wierd little voices in my head ;-).

Some say the world will in in fire, some in ice.
From what I've tasted of Desire, I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice, I know enough of Hate
to say that for destuction, ice is also as great
and would suffice.
-Frost

man you guys have bin to lang behind your pc's :nerd:
XD

:x

DeusIth

The universe in a dot

Quote by bakaman you guys have bin to lang behind your pc's :nerd:
XD

not really ^_^ i only spend enought time to do my homework, leech MT and post in forums... is that so much time?

page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 113 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.