Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Fighting Obesity or Invasion of Privacy - Minitokyo

Fighting Obesity or Invasion of Privacy

page 1 of 1 14 total items

Mordin

Mordin

The Wise One

Texas have a legislation propsed to fight obesity in school where they weight students and put their body mass on their report card to sent home to their parents. Other states might follow consider the result. Is this a good way to fight obesity or a invasion of student's privacy as the schools are steping in to weight kids. For me, I understand their concern, because obesity is hugh health risk, but I wish they didn't have to go to such demoralizing way to punished the kids who are overweight. The body mass will be on the record in their report cards.

Signature
Thank you einna for the siggy :)

Stolen

Stolen

*~*Burning Wings*~*

I think that - it will decrease people's self confidence in themselves. It is one way to go around fighting obesity, but it is a pretty bad way of doing so.

How nice is it to feel, when you go to school, that that afternoon you were going to be weighed, and your best mate is hideously thin, and the school think you fat?! That's not nice. Feelings and emotions that come from this sort of thing aren't something that can just be changed overnight either, they last for years, and some people destroy themselves over it.

This is a silly way to do it. I would have put in a regular physical education strand in educations modules, making sure that ALL people get a healthy dose of physical exercise - its not only great fun, but its one way to help fight obesity.

Why do people think that dieting is the only way to get thin? Is thin all that matters? What about exercise and just being generally healthy?

I think possibly they are trying to bite the budget with this one. Although I'm not american, and I don't totally understand the economy and politics of it all, it would probably be easier and cheaper for them to do it.

Whatever happened to good ol' netball :)

*~* Please Don't Leave - Believe Me *~*

AlbelNox

AlbelNox

Wicked.

That, to me is putting children in the same class as animals, weighed and maintained by the state. It would become a discriminatory point which people could use against the child, not to mention the mockery they would suffer at the hands of their fellow pupils.

The school years are painful and morally crushing enough as it is, why do they have to make them all the worse by instating things like this?

Signature

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

O_o - you have got to be joking me.

So let me see - for those who are overweight, they get punished? What the heck is this?

You should not restrict someone who is of utterly bright intelligence from pursuing his or her dreams just because they are "fat" obese people - no way.

I find it a stellar extreme and an unlikely cause. Heck, I'll just blow out the guys who put their brains into running such a ridiculous legislation.

Call it the law that just never seems to work for the general people in public.

And if you sit around in school too long on your butt, wouldn't you get fat anyways? lol - but seriously. Genetics do play a factor too, you know. I'd probably enforce a law of an hour of exercising in the gym every two days a week for people who do consider wanting to lose weight, which is considered a voluntary choice for students all around the school there, but placing your mass within a report card? This is insane. lolis - weird peeps indeed.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

That is an awful thing to do. As stated above, this will do nothing to aid one's self confidence and could have a detrimental effect. I can see how they think it might help, but I don't believe it is the way to go.

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

eh...they should have just did what they always do instead of announcing to the public this load of crap they could have like extended P.E. class or something like when my school wanted everyone to start eating more fruits and vegs they didnt say anything about it and they didn't just force kids to tell about their diets but just started putting out more fruits and veg out during lunch...at least that way it isn't so obvious and hurtful >_>

o_O-0
weeeeeeeee

Ayamael

Ayamael

yumemitai

talk about destroying people's self confidence... and they try to teach us looks shouldn't matter!!! i understand that being obese acts negatively on your health and everything, but it's physical activity and healthy eating habits they should encourage... not a program to make those who are overweight feel bad about it... besides, celessa brought out a good point when she said genetics play a role in it... it's a fact!

that legislation is just horrible, purely and simply a kind of psychological torture... plus, what do you think those overweight students will do... they might as well start a program that encourages anorexia while they're at it... which, by the way, is as unhealthy as being overweight, if not even more!!

that is awful. how can they help these children by doing this. these kids are already self-conscious about their weight and now they want to publish this information on repaort cards. i understand their concern, but there has to be a better way of doing this. these children have feelings too.

Signature Image

* : )

GutsyAnime

GutsyAnime

Hardcore Gamer

I don't really know what to say, besides the fact that they are going about helping students with weight issues all wrong. Last I knew you were supposed to encourage and help those in need, not make them feel horrible in hope that they will give in and force a change upon themselves that may cause more damage than the original path that they were going down.

Some people are naturally thin, some people aren't, you can't stop genetics. Being overweight may be unhealthy but having something like this forced upon you is just as bad.

Mordin

Mordin

The Wise One

The big question I believe involve this issue is whether the school have the legal authority to do such things. I know that school can pretty much do anything within the premise of protecting the school like drug testing or locker searches, but weighting students seem like a profiling to me. They should go about this a different way.

Signature
Thank you einna for the siggy :)

I dont know about this one. I think it's a good idea, but they're going about it all wrong. Maybe if it was voluntary, or perhaps part of PE (maybe not a group weighing though). I've been overweight (but healthy) since I was a little kid, and I never really knew how much I weighed until last year. We never owned a scale. Maybe that affects my perceptions of this issue. I still think its a good idea, but carried out the completly wrong way.

I live in Houston and we're the fattest city in the US 4 times in the last 5 years, which basically makes us the fattest city in the world. I think such legislation is uncalled for. You shouldn't embarass students by putting their weight on report cards. If people want to be unhealthy and die young, thats their given right and choice. We shouldn't force people to be of a certain weight/look.

Be Free and Masturbate

tecnophreak

tecnophreak

retired user

hell NO! my school started to do that (thankfully on my senior year) and it was embarassing!!! they should really thinik of a new way to do this.

Signature

O_o
that sounds really weird

i have a good suggestion for parents:
1) get a bathroom scale if u don't already have one...
2) if your concerned about your child's weight, use the bathroom scale in the privacy of your own
bathroom....
3) check if you child is overweight using the "body mass index" (search on google or something)
4) if he/she is overweight, sigh him/her up for some sports/fitness programs

i don't understand why schools should be involved in this

page 1 of 1 14 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.