Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Elvish, Tengwar and Tolkein's other languages - Minitokyo

Elvish, Tengwar and Tolkein's other languages

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Alex204

Seeking Rakuen

I am interested to know if anyone else on MT has any interest in Tolkein's various languages and writing styles? I am a *VERY* bad linguist and so my attempts to learn any languages have not gone well - I find English hard and I am English! But I really Tolkein's Tengwar script and have managed to at least learn the version for use with English words (as shown in my sig).
If anyone else has an interest in this I would be delighted to know!

Signature
"Rules are there to make you think before you break them."

welll i've never really heard of things like that......but i think i've seen it......and it looks funky if u ask me! it reminds me of the lord of the rings lol

autumnchill

autumnchill

~.::.Memento Mori.::.~

Awesome! I have finally found someone who is also in this lil LotR circle...
Anywayz, back to my point...Yes, I am interested in the languages in the books, but you must each me. I've tried to learn them, but I can't...must need someone to actually teach me! Perhaps you can help?

~.:: R E M E M B E R - T H A T - Y O U - W I L L - D I E ::.~

Larghaz

-~Broken Insanity~-

Count me in. It could help as I'm making up a language for something I'm writing as well. Most of the words I've come up with sound too much alike. ^_^'

[The lack of confidence is the downfall of some. But overconfidence is the downfall of many.]

fuzzmegabass

fuzzmegabass

Code Ninja

Tolkein was brilliant when it came to writing fantasy languages, I've always found Elvish to be the most interesting of all his languages... ok maybe Black Speech too :D

Signature Image

Anjhurin

Linguistics

Anjhurin

ARIA sanchou

so there are a few JRR crazy fans !! i am as well, man he was such a genius to create this whole world, history, languages and all
i kinda made myself a little dictionnary of elvish words, but i don't use them that much in everyday life ^_^' .... so hey why not make a group of tolkien's fans, where we can teach elvish just for the fun XP

^ I second the motion, Captain. Am very much fascinated with Elven-speech but am having trouble putting the words together. Tengwar (is that how they call the alphabet?) looks really nice but the downloadable font takes ages to learn; it would be lovely if we can have some sort of a Tolkien circle here in MT.

Black Speech: A language with too many z's that'z why it zoundz zo zinizter.

Alex204

Seeking Rakuen

I am pleased by this positive responce, creating an elvish group would be fun but i not sure how to do that or know how to run one. Most of my knowledge on this has come from various website but i do have a couple of books on it as well.
Although i do like the elvish words, i have had difficulty trying to use then so i think it would be best to start by focusing on simply using the Tengwar (for those not sure, this is Tolkein's elvish alphbet) with english words. It has taken a few months for me to get to grips with it but i can at least read and write it with out having to look at the table every time!
Along the way i have also created an auto transcription program in VB6 (the only programming lang i know) that can (sort of) convert roman to tengwar as you type, using the tengwar fonts. It is quite stable now and i can put it on the web if people want to have a look at it.
At the same time i could also create a list of good sites for people intrested in trying to lean the charactors and how to use them.
The best way i can think of learning it though would be to exchange letters (or at least postcards) with other tengwar litterate people, but until now i have not known anyone else who was intersted.
Back to the group thing though; if there is someone here who knows more about this than i do (ie more than just the tengwar to write english words), would they be willing to found the MT group? Otherwise i don't mind do it, if someone tells me how to (still trying to get to grips with this site).

*looks back* - wow, that must be my longest post ever...

Signature

autumnchill

autumnchill

~.::.Memento Mori.::.~

Lolz Alex...Believe me, I have never written that long in MT before. And I would love to join a group of LotR fans! But I also don't know how...perhaps one of you could do it?

~.:: R E M E M B E R - T H A T - Y O U - W I L L - D I E ::.~

Norimune

Norimune

Prince of Winter

I have lessons for learning Quenya if you are interested...
They are really simple and practical...
:)

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici." By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

Well, there is actually a couple of Quenya-English dictionary out there. One site IIRC even had a nice PDF Quenya course manual covering everything from speech, grammar, etc. Try & google for it.

Alex204

Seeking Rakuen

I am in the middle of exams at the moment :( but i will try and make a list of good sites for writing english with tengwar and perhaps add my own notes. I will also try to get a version of my transcription program online by the end of the week for people to play with. This also gives me a chance to get some feedback about it. Also i will look into creating a group; what should the focus be? "The Tolkien Group"? or perhaps "Tolkien Language Group"? could someone give some help on the name... Thanks!

EDIT: i have just read that you have to be over level 20 to start a group... doh!

Signature

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Take a look at Ardalambion and especially Amanye Tenceli. If you want a really good book on Sindarin grammar, take a look at David Salo's Gateway to Sindarin.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

Anjhurin

Linguistics

Anjhurin

ARIA sanchou

oh shinsengumi thx for the links, i'll be sure to check on these soon :)
and alex well good luck for your exams, and as for the group, why not 'Valar group', that would be cool ne?? XP
well i see you're lvl 10..... the thing is i'm lvl 18, but if someone's here above lvl 20 and willing to participate, he/she can create the group and then you'd be the moderator or something, the guy that stands in the shadows ^_^'

Alex204

Seeking Rakuen

Ok, I got so board with my envomental science revision I decided to take a brake (ok, an hour and a half) and get my app ready for use. The first beta release is now ready - see my user page for details.
Just a warning though: this is the first beta release so it may now work properly. If it does not work just let me know and i will see what i can do to fix it.

EDIT: What happened!?!? This thread had so much enthuesasm and then it suddenly died :( Is anyone still interested in this, if so then please don't give up just yet. Please!

Signature

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Back to Off-topic Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.