Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What does Dattebayo mean? - Minitokyo

What does Dattebayo mean?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 28 total items

I'm always wondering what dattebayo means. Is it like just a phrase or what? Naruto says it all the time and it pisses me off cause I don't know what it is. XP Does anybody know?

yea, it would be like a phrase that Naruto has adapted and uses frequently.... kind of like "yeah"

Signature

ZeroMartin

ZeroMartin

No Life King

hmmm its also the name of a group of people that sub the Naruto anime. perhaps you should watch the subbed anime and then when he says it...you'll know.

.::Zero Martin::.

i dun think it mean anything..
its just a phrase naruto attached to evry dialog he has.

Signature

exentric

exentric

Plain Lazy

I don't think it means anything.
it kinda likes when dejiko finishes her sentence with -nyo at the end.
a word that just doesnt mean anything but frequently said by the chara coz of habit.

sonryu

sonryu

DVD Box Designer

When you listen to anime closely, you'll hear many characters end a lot of their sentences with a constant word. It's usually either to show their particular dialect, or it's an emphasis. In Naruto's case, I believe he's just emphasizing what he says (like a vocalized exclamation mark).

someguy66

someguy66

The FlameHaze

I think it means combat or surprise but i think it doesn't mean anything because i never use that word before.

Signature

Yeah I watch the sub. And I read the subs to and I'm like argh!!! what does it mean? XP So I'm so confused. lol. Having many opinions help a bit more. =] Thanks guys

here is partially what it means, (it actually splits into 3 parts Datte Ba Yo)

Datte: This is another one of those words which do not have one direct English translation. "But" and "even" are the two best English synonyms. "Especially" can also be used upon occasion. In other words, you decide which is best!!!! Pronouced "Dah-teh"

Yo: This is a suffix attachted to the end of words to show assertion and stress. For example, saying "Hontou!" means "Really!", but saying "Hontou-yo!" means "I'm telling you and it's true!" Pronounced just as it's spelled.

when naruto says it he is basically emphasizing his own opinion, or position of the subject they are talking about.

shhho

shhz!

hmm i don't kinda get it.. kinda confusing x_x

DojiHiko

Natsume Maya addict

I think datte means "is" or something along those lines. It should be the te form of the word desu and ba is some sort of dialectal variation. Yo is an emphatic type marker. So when something like "nan dattebayo" it's like what is . Also when he says something like ore no na wa Naruto dattebayo, it means my name is Naruto. That's what I think it is. It doesn't seem like the standard Japanese, but some dialectal variation

Signature

miyano

watashi no uta

hmm...my friend once used this and i asked him what does it mean..he said it means 'yahoo'..well,he took it from naruto >_>'...

well i get the Yo part...

DojiHiko

Natsume Maya addict

Oh yrah, I also forgot to say that japanese is a SOV (subject object verb) and English is a SVO language. So the japanese sentences would have the verb at the end

Signature

Yeah I got the yo part lol. not the datte though. XP

he word "datte" means "but" or "because". In the phrase "datte ba yo" the "ba" and "yo" are not words; they are phrase particles.

Japanese phrase particles don't actually translate into english, but through studying the context of the phrase particles translators have given these following uses and undertandings of the particles:

ba is a connector that connects two parts of a phrase together, but it is only used with a gerund, words that end in te like wakatte, itte, kitte, datte, yamette, etc. (at least I think because I've never seen or heard it used by anything other than a gerund). Here's an example: X-te ba Y means Y of X. The phrase particle "yo" is an assurance phrase particle. It can be translated in many ways like "I assure you" or "I tell you".

Using those phrase particles the phrase "yamette ba yo" would mean "I'm telling you to stop". Also, the phrase in question "datte ba yo" translates as "because I'm telling you", "because I assure you".

That is the direct translation, but "datte ba yo" is a rather rude thing to say in Japanese and shouldn't be used very often. The direct translation doesn't sound very rude, but it can also be interpreted to mean something like "because I said so!" which is why it is rude and not used very often.

Naruto uses the phrase all the time because it symbolizes the harsh upbringing he has had and how he was always rude to the villagers because they hated him so much.

In other words:
"datte ba yo" means "because I said so!" or "I'm telling you!" or "I said". It's the equivalent of saying something like "you'll do it because I said so" or "you'll do it because I'm telling you to" in english.

"te ba" by itself has other meanings as well that I won't get into, but for the phrase "datte ba yo" you should now have the jist of it.

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

Quote by narutoKRAZYhe word "datte" means "but" or "because". In the phrase "datte ba yo" the "ba" and "yo" are not words; they are phrase particles.

Japanese phrase particles don't actually translate into english, but through studying the context of the phrase particles translators have given these following uses and undertandings of the particles:

ba is a connector that connects two parts of a phrase together, but it is only used with a gerund, words that end in te like wakatte, itte, kitte, datte, yamette, etc. (at least I think because I've never seen or heard it used by anything other than a gerund). Here's an example: X-te ba Y means Y of X. The phrase particle "yo" is an assurance phrase particle. It can be translated in many ways like "I assure you" or "I tell you".

Using those phrase particles the phrase "yamette ba yo" would mean "I'm telling you to stop". Also, the phrase in question "datte ba yo" translates as "because I'm telling you", "because I assure you".

That is the direct translation, but "datte ba yo" is a rather rude thing to say in Japanese and shouldn't be used very often. The direct translation doesn't sound very rude, but it can also be interpreted to mean something like "because I said so!" which is why it is rude and not used very often.

Naruto uses the phrase all the time because it symbolizes the harsh upbringing he has had and how he was always rude to the villagers because they hated him so much.

In other words:
"datte ba yo" means "because I said so!" or "I'm telling you!" or "I said". It's the equivalent of saying something like "you'll do it because I said so" or "you'll do it because I'm telling you to" in english.

"te ba" by itself has other meanings as well that I won't get into, but for the phrase "datte ba yo" you should now have the jist of it.

You are either extremly good translator, or a really really good bull$h*77r ...that is awesome that someone actually translated that I have heard so many times it means nothing it's just something Naruto says.

When it was dubbed he said "believe it". I thought it was a nonsense word like "na no da" or something.

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

God I hate it when he says that in the Eng dub version....Ugh....

im pretty sure it mean believe it or you better belive it, naruto says it so many times i dont even hear him say it anymore....BELIEVE IT!

Wow... that explanation. It indeed is hitting the mark... Are you, by any chance, a japanese or just someone who have learned japan and it's culture?

Peace! 8)

sh

Sunnyd29

Sunnyd29

derka derka

http://yhbt.mine.nu/faq.aspx

I don't really think it means anything, even though narutoKRAZY did a good job on explaing it. The link above is to the dattebayo fansubs (no intention of spreading around BitTorrent threads, just trying to help) FAQ where they say what they think "dattebayo" means. I know this post will probably get deleted, so I'm sorry about this.

What do you get when you cross an owl with a bungie cord? My ass!! WAHA WAHA WAHA!!! - Kung Pao The Movie

kyokujitsu

kyokujitsu

Without Purpose

Lol, everyone seemed to have beat me to it by a couple of weeks in explaining. I am Jap, and simply put, as the people above have stated, it's just reinforcing what he said. It actually is a Japanese word (and not a random expression), though I can't think of any English equivalent.

narutoKRAZY's explanation is pretty good ^_^ Except "yamette ba yo" doesn't make sense. Maybe you mean "Yametette bayo".

But talk about a revived thread o_o

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"
- Dr. Robert Schuller

GoodTree - The homepage that supports charities ^_^

you asked the question that i always wanted to ask!
i thank you for it! XD
thanx narutoKRAZY for the translation...

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 28 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.