Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 rules of war - Minitokyo

page 1 of 1 7 total items

seiryumiko

seiryumiko

aka nike13

i suppose this is a good place for this topic, I did do a search and nothing came up but anyway onto the actual topic:

I'm not a big person on politics but in my class we were asked if we believed that there really are rules to war, if they were followed if they existed, should any rules be created (what would they be). I was wondering what everyone's opinion on this subject was. Just list your opinion, I don't want any fights, just other people's opinions.

~seiryumiko

No targeting civilians...

-Never love anything, for it will be taken away-
-Death is not the end of life, contrarily it is the beginning of it-
-I do not care so much that they respect me, only that they fear me-
-Happily-ever-after is a lie-

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Armed conflict between states is a bloody affair that is a far cry from the neatly-ordered and regimented conflicts of ages past, when soldiers were arrayed in intricate formations in great set-piece battles. It is, however, still restricted by a single rule of tradition and common sense, a twisted, game-theory shaded version of the Golden Rule, namely don't do to the others as you would not have them do unto you. It is for this reason that weapons of mass destruction have not been used in situations where both sides of a conflict possess them.

The same has historically been true of treatment of prisoners of war; if you do not want your own soldiers to suffer much in prisoner of war camps, you do not mistreat those regular soldiers you capture yourself. In the past 50 years, this has been codified into the Geneva Convention relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War. Similarly, another Geneva Convention exists relative to the Treatment of Civilians in times of War.

Note, however, that the Geneva Conventions do not apply in cases where the combatants of one side are not regular soldiers employed by a state. For example, members of Al-Qaeda are not regular soldiers and therefore are not entitled to any of the rights outlined in the Geneva Conventions.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

seiryumiko

seiryumiko

aka nike13

Quote by shinsengumiNote, however, that the Geneva Conventions do not apply in cases where the combatants of one side are not regular soldiers employed by a state. For example, members of Al-Qaeda are not regular soldiers and therefore are not entitled to any of the rights outlined in the Geneva Conventions.

that i did not know, thank you for the very thought out answer ^_^

rslgto

rslgto

Der Wille zur Macht

Quote by shinsengumi
Note, however, that the Geneva Conventions do not apply in cases where the combatants of one side are not regular soldiers employed by a state. For example, members of Al-Qaeda are not regular soldiers and therefore are not entitled to any of the rights outlined in the Geneva Conventions.

well they should

"Condemn me, it does not matter. History will absolve me!" - Fidel Castro

~Run Kasumi Run!~

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Quote by rslgto

Quote by shinsengumiNote, however, that the Geneva Conventions do not apply in cases where the combatants of one side are not regular soldiers employed by a state. For example, members of Al-Qaeda are not regular soldiers and therefore are not entitled to any of the rights outlined in the Geneva Conventions.

well they should

Absolutely not, because they do not themselves respect the Geneva Conventions either in regards to the protection of non-combatants or to prisoners of war.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

seiryumiko

seiryumiko

aka nike13

Quote by shinsengumi

Quote by rslgto

well they should

Absolutely not, because they do not themselves respect the Geneva Conventions either in regards to the protection of non-combatants or to prisoners of war.

does that mean the people fighting those terrorists should follow the convention (and other rules/agreements) when the people they are fighting just ignore it?

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.