Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 wallpaper junk - Minitokyo

wallpaper junk

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 36 total items

Asahi

Asahi

gone

Okay everyone ,

maybe noone will read this or you'll be getting angry with me .. but I've something to tell everyone. I am frustrated .. a lot (did I mention that I am frustrated ?)

Wallpaper junk. What ?

Lemme tell you : I mean all these masses of wallpapers here on MT which aren't good at all (!) but you see them mostly all the time in the top favs >.<
How to get those ? Easy again : with the 'suck-up-to-me' and 'lemme-suck-up-to-you-so-you-will-give-me-a-fav' -system which is self-explanatory.

And now I ask you all : does it have to be this way ?

What's with those artists who are a whole lot better than the artists mentioned earlier ?
Why are there so many members which are far more skilled , yet they never get that many favs ?

Do you think it's okay to be lying with opinons based on the said things , is it okay for all of you to have a top-favorite system that works ; only based on sucking up to a lot of people ,taking them as a part of your friends-list so youll get a lot of favorites ?

markjo

markjo

a bookworm & a film buff

I'd partly agree. Nevertheless people don't have to fave every work from their friends - none of the people who are longer here does that. You can comment on every submission, which is difficult to do, but very nice, especially if it's a doujinshi or a wallpaper.
I myself value a favourite more when it is done with an explanatory comment than without one.

Look.... this happens because there is a level system here based in part by the number of +favs one gets, the number of wallpapers submitted, the number of forum posts made, etc... I obviously don't know the entire equation for it, but you get the idea. This, in itself, will breed the things mentioned above as well as spammy who-gives-a-shit forum posts like "what's your favorite color". I'm not saying I dislike the level system... merely recognizing it for what it is and accepting it. I don't disagree with what you are saying Asahi (by any means), but I just think there's little point trying to appeal to the masses... it's all been said and done before, and the above mentioned "crap" will continue to happen because "I gotta get to the next level! (for what purpose, I have no idea - but it makes me feel important.)"

In my opinion the only way to solve the problem is to either get rid of the system all together (and people like the system), or the admin will need to crack down even more (and we saw how well the last crack-down went over with everyone).

Jinzhou

Retired Moderator

Jinzhou

Forsaken God

Well, I must agree. It's basically fun, happy walls, from people who get SO many friends on the list, who fav their stuff because its always in their notifications. That's basically it. Yes people want lvls, but that comes with just getting spams of favs for bad walls.

And yes it has to be this way, because that's just how it is. Once and awhile you'll have a good wall from a known waller. *shrug* I haven't submitted a wall in the longest because of the exact fact you speak off and my style of walling seems to go unnoticed anyway.

There's really no way around it.

Signature
Yes, I am god. Infallibility at its greatest.

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

The top favs. - Asahi, I agree with you at one point. There are some wallpapers made by people who don't have many friends that surely do deserve to make it to the daily top wallpapers - but can the other members who have many friends get away with it? Definitely so. I agree with you. There was this one wallpaper a few days ago that had "Fav. Me" all written over it, but did many actually care? Heck no - and its better than some of the top daily wallpapers I've ever seen for quite a long time - and they don't get the recognition they deserve.

Now - seeing your point, I have to call out the obvious, but its never going to change. It's a simple matter of fact that you have to be a really good waller to get noticed, and I could probably point a few walls or two that shouldn't deserve to reach the top daily walls in the first place. Oh well - c'est la vie. **Hides into the bushes**

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

minimouzo

minimouzo

Papaya

i just wanted to say all users here aren't profesional art criticist ... if they find something nice ; why not faving it ? taste is subjective. And it always make the uploader happy to see his/her work is appreciated ...
the system is like that we can't do something about it i suppose ... but if there are person who gets 200+ favs because of his/her friends and that the work is really bad i can understand your point.
I don't really see what you would like ... that people think before faving ? it's maybe asking too much for some person ^^
anyways i understand it's frustrating but i don't see how the situation could be better

Eat a papaya everyday and everything will be ok Signature Image

Support section

chingetscook

chingetscook

Net Slacker

If you are talking about the people that favorite a wall just because it shows up on their notifications then I agree totally. The only reason I am more likely to favorite a wall that shows up in my notifications is if it is a wall that I wouldn't normally look at just browsing.

I try not to hand out free favorites to just any wall, I've been leeching MT for a while now and it has trained my eyes better then when I first joined. If a wall catches my eye and I think I might add it to my favorites I will check the wall for any negatives. Stuff like a white glowing border around the scan in a dark wall, magic wand extraction, author comments like "I made this in 2 minutes lol" or "cute girl my favorite hahahahahahahaha............". I am also picky on resolution, I hardly even look at most walls under 1280x960 anymore because I only have one monitor left that runs lower then that.

Actually even before I read this I was thinking about going through and reviewing my favorites, perhaps if I have time I will do that later today.

Signature Image

gundam

gundam

King of Gundams

Wow I like the level system and I only fav. what I want to. People should not fav. a wall because there on someones friends list MT should crack down on this problem by leveling down the people who do that lol.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

chrno

chrno

sometimes it hurts..

Before this post I have to say: I'm not arrogant or selfish! I jsut want to tell you my feelings!!!

Okay, let's start!
Sometimes I'm trying to get into the daily fav's but it doesn't work! You have to see my wallpapers, all of them are quite good, just older works aren't very good! Sometimes I'm really frustrating if I put a lot of affort and time into a wallpaper and just some people are faving it and it doesn't got into the fav's, again. This is always the same! And I don't like it! I just have about 100 friends but this doesn't work! Then I tried to say "thank you" for commenting or faving it but it doesn't work either! So I do not know if I sould make any wallpaper ^^" I'm crazy I know but that are my feelings! If you do not agree with me I do not have problems! And no! I'm not arrogant or selfish or anything!!!

[ it's getting worse and worse and worse.... ]

Moderator of [ Celestia ] and [ German-Members ] | Member of [ Ilvalthia ] and [ Hispanime ]

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Quote by chrnoThen I tried to say "thank you" for commenting or faving it but it
doesn't work either! So I do not know if I sould make any wallpaper ^^"
I'm crazy I know but that are my feelings!

Disagree - people who make good wallpapers should keep making it because they are rather enjoying it, not because they want to gain levels, favorites, and the sorts through their friends. That's a shame to hear really, believe me.

What are levels for? Boasting purposes? It feels like some people have lost the true meaning of making wallpapers when it should be for enjoyment, not for competition-wise purposes.

And of course, making poor wallpapers is a no-no in my opinion. There are other sites where you can do that. Just don't wind up landing the same impression here.

Just be humble with what you have and don't let it get into your head.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

chrno

chrno

sometimes it hurts..

Quote by Celessa

Quote by chrnoThen I tried to say "thank you" for commenting or faving
it but it
doesn't work either! So I do not know if I sould make any wallpaper ^^"
I'm crazy I know but that are my feelings!

Disagree - people who
make good wallpapers should do it because they are rather enjoying it,
not because they want to gain levels, favorites, and the sorts through
their friends. That's a shame to hear really, believe me.

I don't meant this! I meant that I jsut tried it! Of course I'm enjoying to say "thank you!"

Moderator of [ Celestia ] and [ German-Members ] | Member of [ Ilvalthia ] and [ Hispanime ]

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Maybe I should re-edit it so its much clearer for you.

Quote by chrnoSo I do not know if I sould make any wallpaper ^^"

You should enjoy making wallpapers, regardless of your work being fav'd or not, and being discouraged not to do so just because it isn't gaining as much recognition as it would have highly been deserved. I'm not referring to the "thank you" system. The other extension of the quote above was to provide lee-way to the main focus here. Read the post more carefully next time.

Signature

calisqo

calisqo

::RERAITO::

Quote by CellesaYou should enjoy making wallpapers, regardless of your work being fav'd or not. I'm not referring to the "thank you" system here. The other extension of the quote was to provide lee-way to the main focus here.

Yeah partly agree with cel here ^_^ about this, but to me fav is another way of showing your appreciateion upon someone else work. That show you when u have done something right.
I don't ussually give out that many favs , not before i comment on it, i ussually state what I like about it and my opinion on how it is. therefore the person atleast have that option to improve ? either way doesn't matter

About firends faving on your works, I"m not sure about that, Although I have lots of friends in my list, (include people i ussually chat, or like their works) favs aren't given that easily, they often comments, so I say they're pretty much honest for most of the time and helpful in making improvement in my works.

one example Like a member named "mentis" he gives great comments on how to imporve" , that alone for me, means a lot.

anyway that's my opinion XD, hate me not hate the opinion ^_^

chrno

chrno

sometimes it hurts..

Quote by CelessaMaybe I should re-edit it so its much clearer for you.

Quote by chrnoSo I do not know if I sould make any wallpaper
^^"

You should enjoy making wallpapers, regardless of your work
being fav'd or not

I really enjoy to make wallpapers! I cannot stop making wallpapers! Maybe I wouldn't add them her! I have a lot of new wallpapers I do not add here! People are saying "good", "great", "superb" and other nide words! Why don't they add it to their fav's if they really like it? I think they just shouldn't write things like that because if they really would like it they would add it to their fav's!

Quote by Celessa...You should enjoy making wallpapers, regardless of your work
being fav'd or not, and being discouraged not to do so just because it
isn't gaining as much recognition as it would have been highly
deserved. I'm not referring to the "thank you" system. The other
extension of the quote above was to provide lee-way to the main focus
here. Read the post more carefully next time.

I totally agree with Celessa on a valid point! MT members should make wallpapers for fun, not blatantly for the amount of favs they might have! I also agree with you, Asahi, that the professional wallers here are so underrated, I admire the amount of effort and detail and the hundreds of layers it took to achieve a very beautiful wall! :) Take my walls, for example! Sure, they look simple and some might fail in perspective, but I don't do these walls just for the favs, I just love doing wallpapers for taste and develop new ideas for future walls I have in mind! In fact, I'm inspired to create walls because of MT, and I thank all the members here for encouraging me! ^_^' So I see your point, Asahi and Celessa! The overflow of bad walls that keeps getting favs for popularity are eclipsing the more hi-quality, original and well crafted walls made by some of the greatest designers in MT! To all the suck ups here in MT, if you're purposly designig a bad-quality wall just for popularity and favs, at least put some serious effort on it, for MT's sake! :sweat:

amy

amy

StudioDink

I tend to fave things that "i" like. I just finally went thru some of the wallpaper gallery over the weekend and faved a few that I like. I see walls that are a hell of a lot better than I could ever possibly do and I envy that.

i doubt that I will ever have a wallpaper that will be in the faves gallery. I just chalk that up to me not being good enough. I never really thought about it and the friends list.

*and damnit I lost my train of thought*

Anyways, I understand what your saying Asahi...

Signature Image
Something that I created as a tutorial

albion

albion

Feeder of Ravens

uhmm...don't like to be the cynic, but all this lack of appreciation for the really good quality walls and the over"faving" of some that may not be worth the attention is every day stuff, isn't it? I mean, it happens in movies, in music, basically in every artistic field. I guess the only thing you can do, like Celessa and StarCentury say, is to have fun creating your wall and worry not about the number of favs it will get. And as for those good walls that are undervalued, dive into the galleries and fav any of those you believe are worth checking. Supporting the other underrated wallers could be the beginning of a change, right?

Wunjo!!!

I'm not lazy, I'm Zen

tiantito

tiantito

-[D]-

Quote by CelessaYou should enjoy making wallpapers, regardless of your work
isn't gaining as much recognition as it would have highly been
deserved.

you should not worry about the favs i mean i know its something that makes us all happy because it means that people liked it
but you should feel good about what you do no matter if people liikes it or not
is yourself who should likes it

well its true and though i had thought of that
i mean yes there are a lot of crappy walls on todays favorites is because of the friends
there are many people that have like 200 friends in their lists and imagine if they everytime use the system of the i-suck-to-you..... that you said
they just need to post a wall and wether its good or not they are gonna get favs and comments

this is something good to talk about .....

but and old say says when in rome do as the romans do ...
then when in MT do the 'lemme-suck-up-to-you-so-you-will-give-me-a-fav' -system if you want your wall to gain more favorites . thats all i can say
n_n

Producto de exportacion Colombiano / Colombian exportation product
Signature

LavaBug

panzerkardinal

hmm it´s kinda sad when you dont get to appreciation you want or think you deserve, but its not for the artist to decide if his works is better than others...
lot of people like plain stuff (that doesnt need that much effort to create that more komplex bg´s and stuff do) and well then so be it...
the only thing is either to have 200 ppl in your friendlist to fav your works as soon as its uploaded or simply continue as you did before and be happy with every single fav you get...^^

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Please cut this part out...then eat it ^^

TanKilleR

TanKilleR

Manga Fanatic

so what, are you saying just cuz its not as good as yours, that gives you the right to delete them? i find that somehow, dam whats the word....selfcentered.

albion

albion

Feeder of Ravens

aren't we taking this wallpaper appreciation too seriously?

Wunjo!

I'm not lazy, I'm Zen

belmikry

Retired Moderator

belmikry

belly-button

my opinion on the topic is simple- people will fav what they want

now i'm not saying that people don't auto-fav for friends, because it's obvious that it does happen- but what you need to consider is someone's effort into whatever they tried to accomplish. I will always fav doujinshi if it is the artist's interpretation of what they were doing- I think that if someone was trying, and improving, that they deserve recognition.it is the users right to fav whatever they want to, irregardless if you don't think it is good enough Perhaps that piece had something which meant something to the viewer, something you did not see? Who knows- you must consider both sides of the arguement here.

Now, one thing which really bothered me was someone whining in the SB about not getting enough favs on their newest submission. NAturally I checked it out, and although it was good- I did not want to fav it, a simple message was all I wanted to show... The thing is when you look at this: Do fav's really matter? it seems that we think that the only 'good' walls/doujinshi/submissions have hundreds of favs, the thing is: Minitokyo is not a popularity contest. I believe one of the most refreshing parts about MT is coming across one of those fabulous pieces which has not been credited enough, one from a new MT'er or someone not on your list- it makes this site worthwhile.

When did everyone start assuming that since their wall is best it should have more favs? I'm not saying that you didn't work harder- longer- or thaat you haven't the talent for hundreds of favs- but all i'm saying is that you shouldn't be submitting your art here for an ego boost- it should be to develop, create, educate and grow. That's why i'm here, and surely why you came in the first place.

There is a difference between a 5-minute wall and an OK wall... first thing first, how is a new waller supposed to exchange comments and critiques with MT'ers and develop if their art cannot be viewed? I'm not at all saying that we should allow crappy submissions of poor quality- not at all- but we do need to think back to the times when we first started- and how the words from fellow peers encouraged us to grow as artists... thats all.

Signature
Anime wallpaper/Female Scans/Group Scans Moderator
-
rippers and duplicates beware of belly's button! XD [ermmm... o_o]

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Quote by tiantito

Quote by CelessaYou should enjoy making wallpapers, regardless of your
work
isn't gaining as much recognition as it would have highly been
deserved.

you should not worry about the favs i mean i know its something that
makes us all happy because it means that people liked it but you should
feel good about what you do no matter if people liikes it or not is
yourself who should likes it well its true and though i had thought of
that i mean yes there are a lot of crappy walls on todays favorites is
because of the friends there are many people that have like 200 friends
in their lists and imagine if they everytime use the system of the
i-suck-to-you..... that you said they just need to post a wall and
wether its good or not they are gonna get favs and comments
this is something good to talk about .....
but and old say says when in rome do as the romans do ...
then when in MT do the 'lemme-suck-up-to-you-so-you-will-give-me-a-fav'
-system if you want your wall to gain more favorites . thats all i can
say n_n

Hmm... tiantito. Agreed.

In any case, in my personal opinion - I don't find it justifiable that you should put a very poor quality wallpaper background, slap it on with some ecchi scans and watch it skyrocket with many favs.

It's the truth - you put some ecchi-like female on, showing nothing but a bra and a panty, in a very awkward stance that shows provocative nature, and I'll guarantee you those peskym immature nosey little boys in their teen years who like to leech and all will be marking these up the high favs. count in no time. No offense though, I've seen it happen way too often around here.

Quote by belmikryMinitokyo is not a popularity contest

The verdict is in. I pronounce Belmikry's words deemed absolutely wonderful here. You nailed the money map, head on.

Case closed. **Smacks the mallet down and stamps the case** You the gal, belmikry! **High fives**

Signature

albion

albion

Feeder of Ravens

Quote by belmikryNow, one thing which really bothered me was someone whining in the SB
about not getting enough favs on their newest submission. NAturally I
checked it out, and although it was good- I did not want to fav it, a
simple message was all I wanted to show... The thing is when you look
at this: Do fav's really matter? it seems that we think that the
only 'good' walls/doujinshi/submissions have hundreds of favs, the
thing is: Minitokyo is not a popularity contest. I believe one
of the most refreshing parts about MT is coming across one of those
fabulous pieces which has not been credited enough, one from a new
MT'er or someone not on your list- it makes this site worthwhile.
When did everyone start assuming that since their wall is best it
should have more favs? I'm not saying that you didn't work harder-
longer- or thaat you haven't the talent for hundreds of favs- but all
i'm saying is that you shouldn't be submitting your art here for an
ego boost- it should be to develop, create, educate and grow.

That's why i'm here, and surely why you came in the first place.
There is a difference between a 5-minute wall and an OK wall... first
thing first, how is a new waller supposed to exchange comments and
critiques with MT'ers and develop if their art cannot be viewed? I'm
not at all saying that we should allow crappy submissions of poor
quality- not at all- but we do need to think back to the times when we
first started- and how the words from fellow peers encouraged us to
grow as artists... thats all.

That pretty much says it all, I agree too.

I'm not lazy, I'm Zen

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 36 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.