Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 spelling is not important?! - Minitokyo

spelling is not important?!

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

DernierCri

DernierCri

identity mayhem

"I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a
rscheearch stduy at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr
the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and
lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.
The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit
a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not
raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh
and I awlyas thuoght slpeling was ipmorantt"

I consider that only as an interesting fact other than... and i quote: "Amazing!"
cause one more time I shall say that the words, the language itself is what limits us and defines us as thinking beings. Nobody can think or say what he doesn't know or what he doesn't have a word for. Therefor the limits of my language are the limits of my world... as good old Austrian philosophers say...
So why would we destroy the backbone of what we are by scrambling the order of the letters... not that we wouldn't survive if that happens, but give up civilization.. it's kinda too much.

Please share your thoughts reflecting the quoted passage and/or my blurp...

There's a difference between recognizing symbols and recognizing the concepts those symbols stand for. If the concepts haven't been internalized they don't have quite the power of formulating thought and defining one's view of the world. For example, I can read the word "pain" and in English it means one thing, in French another -- but even when reading French I don't automatically bring in associations with bread (and all the layers of meaning and visualization) that a person fluent in French would bring.

Where I draw the line is where people extend the concept to excusing improper spelling on the grounds that "you know what I mean anyway." That's not the point. The point becomes one of expression. I believe that clarity of expression is shown a number of ways, and command of ordinary grammar and spelling rules is required in order to establish credibility. If you can't spell, or use an apostrophe improperly, I'm not going to take you seriously, because such errors are easy to correct.

This is why I hate l33t 5p34k or text-message-shortened abbreviations. They add static, not clarity of expression, and if you can't express yourself clearly I'm under no obligation to work harder to understand you.

Katzbalger

Katzbalger

Managment Fun

Wow... that's exactly the same as a spam email I got! Whadoyouknow?

XD

DernierCri

DernierCri

identity mayhem

Quote by miketoThere's a difference between recognizing symbols and recognizing the concepts those symbols stand for. If the concepts haven't been internalized they don't have quite the power of formulating thought and defining one's view of the world. For example, I can read the word "pain" and in English it means one thing, in French another -- but even when reading French I don't automatically bring in associations with bread (and all the layers of meaning and visualization) that a person fluent in French would bring.
Where I draw the line is where people extend the concept to excusing improper spelling on the grounds that "you know what I mean anyway." That's not the point. The point becomes one of expression. I believe that clarity of expression is shown a number of ways, and command of ordinary grammar and spelling rules is required in order to establish credibility. If you can't spell, or use an apostrophe improperly, I'm not going to take you seriously, because such errors are easy to correct.
This is why I hate l33t 5p34k or text-message-shortened abbreviations. They add static, not clarity of expression, and if you can't express yourself clearly I'm under no obligation to work harder to understand you.

Exactly my point but explained in proper English. Even this statement is another proof of the power of the words. I think now is the time for me to apologize for all my previous and future spelling and grammar mistakes.

tecnophreak

tecnophreak

retired user

yeah, me too. but i tend to put spaces where they don't belong, so i'm not THAT bad. spelling is a big pet-peeve of mine, though, so spell right people!

Signature

gendo1

gendo1

LP Fan / Wall Critic

Quote by KatzbalgerWow... that's exactly the same as a spam email I got! Whadoyouknow?

XD

big surprise? i got the same one. please don't post your spam mail on MT.

Signature

calisqo

calisqo

::RERAITO::

I've seen this kinda thing before.
From a friend of mine.
It's kinda amazed me the fact that we can actually read it XD

Thanks for pointing it out again , really interesting ^_^

Kalith013

Kalith013

Unstoppable

I think the amount of effort you put into the grammatical correctness of something should be determined by the audience and importance of the occasion. If you're chatting online, this is a situation where speed as opposed to clarity is the most important, so poor spelling and contractions is ok. When giving a speech to stockholders in a corporate setting, however, your grammar should be flawless; at the very least, flaws should be largely unnoticeable. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it isn't really important to type perfectly in all situations.

Signature
"Let the dream begin, let your darker side give in to the power of the music that I write: the power of the Music of the Night." --The Phantom of the Opera

Bloodlust

Bloodlust

Hey how funny, it could be easy to read such a messy message even if its not in french, lol, cool

Signature

amy

amy

StudioDink

Good grief that hurt my eyes and brain to read that.

I have to agree with Miketo too. On the forum that I admin for, we have this one kid who misspells words and uses letters or numbers for easy to spell words.

*example*
I dont know you, but I could like you. But you maybe too good for me.

I dun kno u, but I culd like u. But u may b 2 gud 4 me.

We also have a guy who uses the ( ) wrong.

(you're awsome(but i think) Im better(than you)

This just irritates the snot out of me. Half the time I don't even bother reading his posts. I mean really, it's not that hard to spell out those words. And the L33T speak shit...Oh hell no...I wont even bother!

I tend to misspell a few words here and there, but I will fix them if I catch the mistakes right away. I tend to type really fast.

There is one word that I always mess up on and one of my friends will go out of his way to correct me...I think it's funny too...

Your is how I usually type it when it should be (You're).
I do try to catch this one mistake now though!

Anyways...Enough rambling...

Signature Image
Something that I created as a tutorial

kimifox

kimifox

dysfunctional idealist

Quote by DernierCriTherefor the limits of my language are the limits of my world... as good old Austrian philosophers say...

I think that is a reason why being multi-lingual is so cool - more worlds. ;)
(Incidentally, I am not multi-lingual; I'm limited to English. :( )

i got this as an email today, too. It's everywhere! :P

Signature
[url="http://groups.minitokyo.net/forcefirefox/"]Force Firefox[/url] The Fox Loves You. Love the Fox.
[url="http://groups.minitokyo.net/order-of-reason/"]Order-of-Reason[/url]

Athrun

Athrun

Flying Chain Chomp

Wow... this explains why I was able to understand Aura in the .hack games...

Still buying pokemon cards?
My Ebay!
Don't miss out on very rare stuff! *Japanese Shiny Krookodile*, Full Art Ho-oh EX and Elesa deck sleeves! Very hard to find and very expensive from Japanese sellers! Get them while they're at a low cost! Ending very soon!

Kalith013

Kalith013

Unstoppable

Quote by DernierCri"
Nobody can think or say what he doesn't know or what he doesn't have a word for.
Therefor the limits of my language are the limits of my world...

That sounds an awful lot like something I read in Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes...good book if you're into philosophy and stuff, but hard to read. It's very old, and predates conventional grammar and spelling, so it can be hard to make sense of it.

Signature
"Let the dream begin, let your darker side give in to the power of the music that I write: the power of the Music of the Night." --The Phantom of the Opera

miraku-spike

miraku-spike

~Rurouni Kenshin~

Nice. This seems funny once you come to think about it. I think that this is kind of like piglatin......I think. Well, that's what one of my friends call it.

Signature Image

charaznableamurorei

charaznableamurorei

patron saint of doujinshi

Quote: The limits of my language are the limits of my world.

Actually, the quote of DernierCri-friend is from Ludwig Wittgenstein -- 'language game' philosopher?

Ahh, but we live in a world where diversity is still given a space to exist, even under the cold boots of that totalizing experience/spectacle we call capitalism. Well, it might be a person's choice whether or not to actually try to understand people who are not that fluent in 'English' (in truth, 'proper English usage', in my opinion, is a dominating/imperialist thing. There are many variants of English usage out there, and each and every single one is wonderful in its dynamics; isn't that amazing?

At least, I have to give the English language credit to be so open to change and additions. But to insist that there is only one, absolute, proper form of English, then there you have this 'imperialism of language.'

I think it is wonderful to watch how people use English in Minitokyo, especially those from Hispanime and other non-native English speakers. It looks funny to most people who have been subverted under the 'imperialism of proper English', but I guess it is a challenge (and a fun challenge at that) to actually reach out and understand their usage of English. Finding the meanings behind the forms is a good way of furthering understanding and openness to differences. I feel that people need to be sensitized to this 'imperialism of language'.

Promoting and encouraging different forms and usage of English = the better we promote diversity. ^^

More on this later, probably.

Signature Image
Sig crafted by Yune of the MTSign-AvCrew! Based on artwork by Keough! Vamonos, MT artistes!

MadWiz

MadWiz

Student Slacker

haha I got this email before quite a long time ago~
but it still fascinates me =p
I could read that messed up paragraph almost as fast as I normally read!! but I guess there are some problematic words(words same first and last letter and same letters between but different arrangement).. and I can read so fast because it makes sense

correct english is still better!! if suddenly everyone writes words like that I might forget the correct way of spelling~

Quote by Kalith013I think the amount of effort you put into the grammatical correctness of something should be determined by the audience and importance of the occasion.

I agree with the sentiment (as I tend to be a Zen-like advocate of balance), but in practice I have yet to see an occasion where speed is more important than clarity of communication. The only examples I can think of are while playing real-time games such as Halo or a MUD, and those usually have their own terms of art and abbreviations that everyone understands (bfg, anyone?).

I've had several discussions on other boards about the importance of grammar and spelling, and it immediately draws out the people who can't (or won't) communicate clearly. Terms like "elitist" and "spelling Nazi" are thrown about with abandon. These are the people who value heat over light. I still maintain that if you can't communicate clearly, there is no reason for me to expend the effort to understand you. One might as well try to understand the gibberish of an infant.

charaznableamurorei

charaznableamurorei

Haha, lucky that I got to pass by National Bookstore (a big bookstore in my country) and spotted a cute book titled "Philippine Post-Colonial Studies: Essays on Language and Literature." ^^

According to the book, 'correctness of language' or 'communicating clearly' are most often subtle means of enforcing control and, in a general scale, ideology (in this case, Western-centered, imperialist ideology).

'Correctness of English' as a form of 'cultural imperialism' is very very subtle and the most desensitized (or are they the actual enforcers?) of this kind of imperialism are actually Western writers, editors and poets. The rule? "If you don't conform to our style or standard of writing, you are not a good writer/editor/poet."

Interestingly, according to the book, they are actually universities in England that promote awareness of 'language as ideology' and alternatively attempt to liberate students from it. (the main man who's advocating it is Terry Eagleton, Uni. of Manchester -- sorry, I have to read the book again to find out how Eagleton actually do this)

One step towards liberation from 'imperialism of language' that the book proposes is via the use of poetry as a 'revolutionary device'. That is, making use of themes (like guerilla movements, anti-consumerism, native/indigenous life, etc.) that are not commonly employed in Western writing. Also, mixing and matching of indigenous/local languages with the English language in writing.

One of the main points of the book stress Michel Foucault's POV, that words are only signs pointing to things, and what matters is the meaning behind the signs. It would be clear xenophobia if people focus on the signs and do not exert effort to understand varied kinds of English that different cultures from all over the world have created.

Haha, I talk too much... (I really gotta buy the book to read more about it! Await 'clearer' arguments from me, k? ) ^^

Edit:

Quote by derniercriExactly my point but explained in proper English. Even this statement is another proof of the power of the words. I think now is the time for me to apologize for all my previous and future spelling and grammar mistakes.

Quote by mikettoIf the concepts haven't been internalized they don't have quite the power of formulating thought and defining one's view of the world.

Exactly. Imperialism of language is all about power. And I feel you don't need to apologize for anything, DernierCri-friend (or was it a sarcastic remark?) He/she who controls the standards wields the power. He/she who determined the 'correct way of speaking English' holds the power.

The 'powerless' (in this case, those who cannot communicate clearly in English or those who do not speak English well) actually have their own 'means to power' -- what I mean is consciously 'bastardizing the standards of language'. Challenging or critiquing the norms. I feel that the above email is an example of this. Taking language and using it for one's own enjoyment is empowering oneself. And look, almost all of the people who posted here understood most of what the message is trying to say, anyway. The meanings were communicated, with complete disregard of the forms of language. "Awesome", truly!

Signature Image
Sig crafted by Yune of the MTSign-AvCrew! Based on artwork by Keough! Vamonos, MT artistes!

Charaznableamurorei:

Ah, you're a Marxist. Thought I detected that in your previous writings. :)

No one disagrees with the core purpose of language: to use symbols as representations of ideas, concepts, and things. To the extent this "enforces" a certain view, your observations are correct, though enforces is too strong a word. Channels might be better, since by learning other languages or living in other cultures we can develop new ways of thinking and new ways of expressing ideas.

The emphasis on English as being the "controlling language" shows the bias of the writers. The observations they make are true of anyone's birth language, not just English. The tyrrany of oppression and control is equally relevant if the language is Tagalog as it is English. Who doesn't feel at a loss when those around them are speaking in a language that is not understood?

What *is* true of English and is not true of other languages is its mutable nature. English, more than any other language, adapts and adopts words and ideas from other languages. The number of "foreign" words and phrases that have come into common usage is astonishing. The trip is two-way, also; even though other languages are not as mutable, they adopt English words and ideas that take longer or are more difficult to express. (Most non-English speaking countries use the word OK, instead of, for example in French, d'accord.)

Where I disagree with your idea of "empowerment" is the concept that consciously bastardizing the language is what lends misspellings and improper grammar legitimacy. The example cited by DernierCri is fun, interesting, and helps open up new ways of looking at communication. But it will not take the place of grammatical or properly spelled English in everyday life. It is a novelty. Same with leet speak, Ebonics, or other derivations.

The key to your idea is the word "consciously." The switched-letter example works because the authors know what the rules for spelling and proper grammar are, then with that understanding undertake to mutate the words but still be understandable within the commonly accepted rules. Any artist of any stripe will tell you that before you can break the rules, you must understand them.

But that is not the case with lazy spellers or ungrammatical writers / speakers. They argue that laziness confers legitimacy, that the inability to communicate clearly is the fault of the listener, not the speaker (or writer). This is nonsense. If you are inarticulate, you cannot express whether your idea fits the norms or is a conscious derivation from them.

*Whew.* So much for my rant this morning. I'll go off now and work on a project where my writing must be clear, concise, and properly spelled in order to communicate ideas.

--Mike

DernierCri

DernierCri

identity mayhem

You guys are still arguing and discussing the English itself...
but that was not my point, as well as spelling was not my main topic /besides the artsy thread name/. I was talking for the language in general and how it relates to ourselves as human beings. No matter how good or bad the corectness of the written language we cannot escape its limits be it English or Bulgarian. Now when i think about it even being multilangual /altough it broadens your horizon/ does not broaden what you can think of, simply because your first language is still a point of reference that you use to explain everything in your second language. In one sentence I cannot learn an English word without having it translated to Bulgarian or explained in English words that i can translate in Bulgarian... you following me?

So forget the imperialism of the elitarist languages, cause the point of the thread was not so political as much as universal or maybe phiolosophical.

We are whatever we are able to think or say, or do for that matter... and our language is the substance of all these... including the e-mail quote was not meant to be spamming, it was a little fact to support my opinion, that disturbing the structure of the language can be overtaken by our minds, but is totaly unnecessary and cannot have any language benefits.
That's it. The ball is in your hands now.

charaznableamurorei

charaznableamurorei

Quote by DernierCriNow when i think about it even being multilangual /altough it broadens your horizon/ does not broaden what you can think of, simply because your first language is still a point of reference that you use to explain everything in your second language. In one sentence I cannot learn an English word without having it translated to Bulgarian or explained in English words that i can translate in Bulgarian... you following me?

Yes yes! It's a bit different in my experience, actually. My language, Filipino, is actually a whole bunch or conglomeration of languages and dialects. Given the colonial history/herstory of the Philippines, the dominant local language in Filipino is 'Tagalog'. Within 'Tagalog' are layers and layers of 'Spanish' influences. 'English' is taught and is being endorsed/imposed as a primary language in schools. English is also always conveyed in media, books, ordinary conversations, etc., so it's side by side with Tagalog as a dominant component of 'Filipino'. To be really precise, the Filipino language is really "Tag-lish" (Tagalog-English combined) or "Eng-galog" (oh, but plenty of hardcore local linguists would kill me for saying this...^^)

So, in my case/context, "there is no first language that I use as a point of reference that I use to explain everything in my second language, because what I have is a subverted or mixed language." I have a colonial past, and I bear the legacies of this colonial past via my language. ^^ I think and find myself talking most of the time in an odd mixture of English and Tagalog. I don't need any pity, though. ^^

Quote by DernierCriSo forget the imperialism of the elitarist languages, cause the point of the thread was not so political as much as universal or maybe phiolosophical.

Sorry, friend, maybe it's just really me... for me, "the personal is political." Every facet of our lives, every choice that we make: I believe that these are somewhat influenced by ideology, societal structures and those who are in power. Anyway, that is how I view the world. Gomen gomen for getting offtrack! But wasn't it fun? ^^

Quote by DernierCri...that disturbing the structure of the language can be overtaken by our minds, but is totaly unnecessary and cannot have any language benefits.

This is where I somewhat disagree, friend. Language, as Wittgenstein purports, can be seen as a "game". Not only one game, since it is kinda hard playing a "game" by yourself... but "games" to be played with other people who play different language games. These 'language games' have different sets of rules, different sets of 'players.'

'Disturbing the structure of languages' is one of these 'games'.

The benefit of playing these language games? Promoting diversity, both language-wise and social-wise. Otherwise, life would be pretty much boring... like my office work. ^^

Quote by miketoWhat *is* true of English and is not true of other languages is its mutable nature. English, more than any other language, adapts and adopts words and ideas from other languages. The number of "foreign" words and phrases that have come into common usage is astonishing. The trip is two-way, also; even though other languages are not as mutable, they adopt English words and ideas that take longer or are more difficult to express. (Most non-English speaking countries use the word OK, instead of, for example in French, d'accord.)

Agree, agree! It's also in the book I mentioned! As English can be an "oppressive" language, it is also has its "liberating" properties! Just as the ones I've stated above. (I really have to choose now: buy that book, or buy myself some pirated anime DVDs? ^^ Haha, side comment, sorry.)

Quote by miketoWhere I disagree with your idea of "empowerment" is the concept that consciously bastardizing the language is what lends misspellings and improper grammar legitimacy. The example cited by DernierCri is fun, interesting, and helps open up new ways of looking at communication. But it will not take the place of grammatical or properly spelled English in everyday life. It is a novelty. The key to your idea is the word "consciously."... Any artist of any stripe will tell you that before you can break the rules, you must understand them.

Point taken, point taken! Ahaha, have you read up on some readings I suggested in Order-of-Reason re: situationism? That this philosophy claims that "Everybody can be an artist/poet", via a disregard of standards, rules, etc.? Anyway, I guess it's not really your cup of tea. But I highly suggest that you do read them, if not for the insight, then for your amusement. ^^

Side note for Miketto:
Hehe, you're not paying attention to my posts in Order, haven't you? Marxist, me? Used-to-be! I fancy myself as an Eclecticist -- whatever that means... ^^

And same goes for me, accept my apologies for the looong post. Ahh, but so many interesting POVs!

Signature Image

cereshe22

cereshe22

goddess

spelling is important, so we know how to pronounce the right term for the word

SMSes corrupted our spellings with short forms n stuff.

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Interesting. :)

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

Back to Off-topic Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.