Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 19" LCD: asking for suggestions - Minitokyo

19" LCD: asking for suggestions

page 1 of 1 23 total items

Keltosh

Retired Moderator

Keltosh

Inquisitor on hiatus

Ok, I have to buy a new monitor and I want a LCd so I thought I'd ask for suggestions.
I'll say it now, please only write if you have something useful to say...

I was thinking of getting a 19" LCD but I'm not really sure about that. I'll start by saying that I do not play extreme fps games, so as long as it plays anime, movies and non fps games well I'm ok with that.
From various reviews and articles, I know that the response time parameter is very important but can be misleading and that even the contrast and brightness are not THAT important.
On the other side I think as of now that a good color depth and digital interface are essentials (why the heck shoul I use a analog on a LCD monitor ?)

Anyway if you guys can give me some suggestions, feel free to do so, either on the parameters values I should look for(don't just say: resonse rate a slow as possible... I kNOW that ..) or on specific models evaluations. But go in detail, something like I have this model it's cool it's no use to me. While: I have this and it shows movies well/ok/not so good or such is good. Also if you know links to SERIOUS reviews and such, please post the links here.

Signature
I am now on hiatus from moderating due to my thesis.
One of my favorite game ever: Mordor: The Depths Of Dejenol Community
The beautiful signature is from Biriwilg

Firefox

Hi, I'm your favorite browser

I use a BenQ FP937s myself, a responsetime of 12ms with a pricecard of 485 euro, would be around 530 dollars, don't know for sure. This screen of mine won some awards as best TFT-screen during some tests in computermagazines.

Judging by my own experiences, this screen is certainly worth every dime you spend on it. I play FPS-games like ut2004 and nothing is bothering me.

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

You want to look at a quality screen before you even consider the response times and such. Personally, I would like to recommend any of the Iiyama 19" displays. Being an Iiyama user myself, I can vouch for their quality.

However, I also know the new Sharp monitors to be a good buy. Cheaper than the Iiyama ones I think and they are quality. One thing I have against the Sharps is that not all their models come with DVI and they have white plastic backs which spoils the overall look in my opinion.

For what you're planning on using it for, either would fit the bill perfectly ^^ .

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

http://www.amazon.com

I'm too lazy to actually point out a monitor. XD There are a few good monitors here. There are descriptions on the functions of each monitor, so that may be able to answer your question.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

Keltosh

Retired Moderator

Keltosh

Inquisitor on hiatus

... Dude I've seen heaps of monitors around. I've searched online shops, productor sites and such. What I want is reviews and useful technical suggestions..

Signature

I recently purchased a Samsung SyncMaster 710N from Newegg.com for $299 before a $30 rebate . The site has lowered the price by $10 after I purchased it. It has a fast 12ms response time and, for the price, is hard to beat. Samsung is one of the better LCD manufacturers out there.

jhujhiti

Retired Moderator

jhujhiti

Bug Exterminator

You'd be happy with an Apple display.

http://www.apple.com/displays

They're affordable if you're already looking at 19" monitors. The widescreen is also great for movies and anime. Remember to check out their educational stores if you're attending a US school.

Sepiraph

Arayashiki - One-winged Angel

My brother and I were shopping for a LCD a few months ago and eventually he brought a Sony 17" LCD, originally he was shopping for a 19" but none of the 19" models' resolution were good enough. There is no substitue to actually looking at the display of the monitor before buying it, and you'll have to make a decision depending what is the most important factors to you (display quality, price, size, etc.).

Signature

:: Member of Celestia :D ::

jhujhiti

Retired Moderator

jhujhiti

Bug Exterminator

[Edit]
Ack! sorry, double post. How'd that happen?

MuZ0NaZ

MuZ0NaZ

The Muzzinator

i'm currently using samsung 193p 19" LCD, and all i can say that it is awesome & was worth the money >_>
after calibration it looks better than any 17" i've seen or my old 15" one ^_^'
it has one serious disadvantage - due to the use of mva matrix, the response times between greys are >50ms or more, so playing dark fps can cause motion sickness due to the damn blurring (at least for me). on the other hand, colours are great and so are the viewing angles. movies look fantastic (veeery high contrast compared to other displays) & i <3 the ability to rotate screen.
anyway, if you need more info - pm me on irc.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
--Terry Pratchett

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Oh, my fault. I didn't read your initial message...say something useful. XD I'll do that.

How about the AG Neovo f-419 19" LCD Display (Black) from Amazon? Right now, they have it for $369.99, which is a 43% break off the original price. 82% of the people who view this item buy it. The description from Amazon:

A 19-inch TFT LCD from AG Neovo, the f-419 is a sleek and stylish monitor that delivers a high-quality image at an affordable price. A maximum SXGA resolution of 1,280 x 1,024 and 0.264 mm dot pitch combine with a 700:1 contrast ratio, 300 nits of brightness, and 16.7 million colors to provide detailed, true-to-life images suitable for a wide variety of home and office uses. With a small 16.6-by-8.7-inch footprint, the f-419 fits easily onto any convenient surface and is also wall mountable, freeing up desktop space completely. 170-degree horizontal and vertical viewing angles provide a good range of visual clarity, while the hard coating (3h), anti-glare, and anti-static screen treatment helps cut back on harmful reflections and the resulting eyestrain.
With the onscreen controls, you can adjust a wide variety of monitor settings including brightness, contrast, H/V position, H/V size, color temperature, and more. TCO '99 and Energy Star certified, the f-419 is a plug-and-play monitor, ready to use right out of the box, and it weighs just 14.3 pounds. The f-417 connects to your computer via its analog D-sub 15 pin or 24-pin dvi-d digital port and has a fast 5 ms rise response time (10 ms fall). The AC 100 - 240v, 50 - 60Hz power adapter consumes less than 80 W during normal operation, and less than 3 W during standby. PC and Mac compatible, the f-419 comes backed with a three-year limited warranty

There are also 17 reviews, but I'll give you two of them.

From "fyrial":
Coming from a 21" CRT, this monitor is incredible! I thought I could expect a little fuzziness, but was pleasantly stunned by the clarity and depth of color. At first, the text WAS rather fuzzy on Windows XP, but then I found a dialog box that allowed me to sharpen the text and I haven't had a problem since. Consider also that I'm running this monitor on a Belkin KVM (Keyboard-Video-Mouse controller) with the second machine running Windows 98se, on which there never was a problem with the text. On both OS's this monitor has been superb.

We bought two monitors for three computers, so we've really had a chance to analyze their performance. Again, no problems across the board. The "auto fix" button does all the work, unless you're like my husband, who is fussy and likes to be picky about his brightness and contrast. It has an intuitive menu which some might complain about, but I have found to be typical for LCD's.

I did my research on monitors before this purchase and found it to have the best contrast ratio, a digital video input (dvi) and most important - an amazing response rate. When contemplating this purchase, I was concerned that some of my husband's fast-paced bang-em up games would stutter, and I'm pleased to note that the graphics are incredible and smooth as glass. Granted, his machine is running with an 8xAGP nVidia with 256 vram, but my 98 machine has only 2xAGP and barely discernable RAM and both look and behave equally well.

Another bonus: you can wall-mount it. If I had a shrimpy desk, I sure would. But as I have oodles of space to fill now, I just keep it set back on my vast desktop.

Overall, I highly recommend this monitor! I can't give it enough praise. The only criticism I can muster is that Neovo isn't marketing it as aggressively as they should. It was hard to find. Various websites (as well as Neovo's) have some conflicting data regarding its response rate and DVI capability. But I have to say that this easily lands in the 10-15 range as opposed to others out there at 25. If you can find one, you won't be disappointed.

From Growman:
The neovo range sells like hot cakes and competitor prices differ vastly on this monitor because you can sell it at three times the asking price. Basically this is a 19" whooper LCD that sits next to 15" Sony monitors (at the same price or this is much less) and makes them look like little monkeys. The 17" pro models are usually twice the price but this big screen just gets snatched up because it is so much more in size and so much cheaper than the item next to it, and get this... chances are no dead pixels (anything less than 6 is acceptable as long as they are all not clumped together or something. AG actually has good quality monitors. I viewed several of these 19" monitors and have found one with two dead black pixels on white and even I would have bought that if it was the only one left. Seeing monitors is a good idea but AG seems like a good bet on-line judging by what I have seen although I must admit the box felt a little loose carrying it.

Turn on any LCD and the room suddenly gets brighter. Same with this model... yes it is an LCD!

The actual screen appears to curve slightly inwards, a nice effect with the 19" resolution quality (1,280 x 1,024). A Pro 256mb graphics card set at full acceleration and something like an mx1000 laser mouse and I am sure even pro graphics users would not complain about the neatness of their work. Gaming-wise you will never look at another monitor the same way again. In terms of graphics, I will say that the 19" pro monitors where really nice but a way more expensive. This Neovo beat most 21" CRT monitors, hands down, but there where some 21" inch CRT screens that could still compete with this at a cheaper price. Something to think about... but slim is in and the LCD is pretty much LCD.

Of course there are some drawbacks, the monitor does not have a perfectly steady base, does wobble a little more than pro models but does stay standing. You would really have to tilt the desk or hit it hard to knock it over. The pixels are also somewhat harsh if you look at the screen closely and you do see the pixels with clear 20/20 vision which means that it is not really high-end at all except for the size price factor.

To be honest the neovo f-419 is more like a very high quality 17" LCD monitor on blowup than a true 19" panel.

Unless you are doing extremely pro stuff like large 2 meter x 2 meter graphic prints or telecine 35mm motion picture film CGI which requires higher resolutions like 1600+, meaning popping the extra (triple the price) for a pro 19" model then undoubtedly you will have a more superior 19" LCD with a higher resolution and probably everything else. No one is going to disagree with you there, but those who have spent money on pro 19" monitors are going to want to keep them for at least five or six years minimum at those prices. Next deal next decade? The f-419 is not cheap but let's face it - I can retire it in three years time from now and feel I got some use for it. Would certainly buy AG again.

However the 19" blowup effect of a high quality 17" monitor makes this thing unstoppable except for those with bigger wallets. Viewing high resolution scans is like a new experience. Playing Half-Life 2 just improved the game like x 100 even though the ghosting on this monitor is a little more noticeable than the pro models but beat any 21" CRT hands down because it is LCD.

In short, budget LCD is here. 15" and 17" forget it... why waste the money? Get this 19" or go 19" pro or better for higher sums.

Pros:
- Best buy LCD monitor at this time.
- Gorgeous Price Tag.
- No dead pixels.
- Huge Size.
- LCD

Cons:

- Not a true 19" LCD.
- Probably under par in every department for a 19" LCD except for all working pixels.
- Ghosting a little stronger.
- No height extention (might need shelf)

See if this helps in making your decision.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

DREAM

DREAM

Lord of Dreams

[edit] hmm. personally i own a 15 inch NecMultiSync 1560m and am looking to add either either a huge CRT model or a bigger LCD. this is strictly dependent upon what video card i upgrade to.

anyhow i have found PcWorld to be quite useful for information and comparitve purposes. strangely though i don't see any 1600x1200 in their top 10. Keltosh im sure that is the resolution you want. ;) upon further reading it appears that you have to jump to a 21 inch for 1600X1200 resolution. the prices seem to increase vertically but they do include DVI and HDTV support.

Detailed Info I Top 10 I Flipping LCD

when [if] i come across more information i will check back.
oh yeah i highly recommend new egg for making your purchase. they have great prices and fed-ex very cheap. New Egg

thelunarmage

thelunarmage

I'm getting too old for this...

The only place I can think of online for serious LCD reviews is Tom's Hardware Guide. They have a review of some 19" LCD and albeit critical because they like playing FPS, the reviews are very handy indeed and I'll be basing any 19" LCD purchase off what they recommend. Very detailed reviews from a technical standpoint and they cover the best use for the monitor they review. Best I can do until I actually go buy one and I'm more likely to buy a 17" until the response times of the 19" LCDs come down closer to the best 17" LCDs. Hope this helps you Keltosh. :)

Phantom: You alone can make my song take flight! It's over now, the music of the night! - The Phantom of the Opera

Proud member of: Oldsters |MegatokyoFC | GameThreadSociety | Goddess-Fanclub | Dub-Lovers-Group | ChrnoCrusade | MT-Singles-Club | Minitokyo-Australia

gilion

gilion

Servant of Chaos

If U don't have any problems of budget get a Sony LCD (@ computerline were an offert last time). Also Philips is a good choice, but only for display of 19'' or more. Are you thinking of buying it on internet? Where will the old monitor has gone at the end?

Signature

Disc of the Day:
Ayreon - The Human Equation (2004)

Sony sdm-hs74p/s it's $500 from sony direct and is one of the best LCD's I've seen

what we do in life echoes through eternity
(I'll add a new sig img as soon as the update works again)

Taurec

Taurec

BAKA^2

Hey Keltosh did you pick one ??

- Too bad stupidity isn't painful

Airrrrrrr

Keltosh

Retired Moderator

Keltosh

Inquisitor on hiatus

NOt yet. I'm really undecided... I want a 19".. but I'm not sure. the syncmaster 193 seems really nice.. and really expensive

Signature

Taurec

Taurec

BAKA^2

Stick with it. (193p)

It's a "last year" model so you should be able to haggle and get a good deal.
I know it has a good color accuracy for that price range.

If you are planning to rob a bank soon, I recommend the Eizo l768. I've been talking to a few DTP people and they are quite fond of it since it's even more accurate.

Airrrrrrr

Keltosh

Retired Moderator

Keltosh

Inquisitor on hiatus

Actually the 193p is still the top of the line, and the one with the best stats around. And it comes for around 650 euro...

Signature

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

Do remember that just going based on stats can be somewhat misleading. As was suggested before, go and try the monitor you want if you can because it could stop you making one of the worst decisions you could make.

Oh, and one more vote for the Iiyamas.

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

Taurec

Taurec

BAKA^2

No doubt it's top of the line, .. But you just have a extra bargaining chip since it's a 2004 model.
With a bit of bluf and smoothtalk ya can lower that price. :)

Airrrrrrr

MuZ0NaZ

MuZ0NaZ

The Muzzinator

you just can't go wrong with sm 193p - it's awesome for both movies and PS. while it's colour rendition is not far from eizo, its contrast ratio is just purely amazing! it is worth every penny.

Quote by Aa-chanDo remember that just going based on stats can be somewhat misleading. As was suggested before, go and try the monitor you want if you can because it could stop you making one of the worst decisions you could make.

Oh, and one more vote for the Iiyamas.

the fact is those stats are accurate, except for the response of course, which is really sluggish :\

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
--Terry Pratchett

Keltosh

Retired Moderator

Keltosh

Inquisitor on hiatus

I did oredr the 193p. Should be arriving wednesday ... >_> *sighs at his pocket*

Signature

page 1 of 1 23 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.