Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What Do You Hate Most About Your Own School? - Minitokyo

What Do You Hate Most About Your Own School?

page 2 of 6 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 127 total items

moveurbodygirl

moveurbodygirl

~*Dancing Queen*~

it has to be the washrooms...
~there is absolutly NO toilet paper that u can use in there and there are no locks on the stalls....lol

~beautiful....~

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Quote by shinsengumiWhile I am conservative in my political leanings, I consider myself
very open in my views and tolerant of others. The atmosphere at my
school, however, is one of extreme intolerance. As you may know, as a
whole, the universities of the Ivy League are as a whole posessing of
both liberal student bodies and liberal faculty bodies. At my
particular institution, diversity is the watchword, but the view
of diversity that has been espoused is a peculiarly selective view that
purposely turns a blind eye towards diversity of opinion and ideology.
Allow me to explain. The university administration considers
maintainance of diversity of ethnicity to be of particular importance.
Apparently, having students of diverse backgrounds is important for
creating an atmosphere conducive towards learning, and that diversity
allows a wider spectrum of opinions to be expressed, thus enriching the
education process. That sounds nice in words, but in practice none of
that takes place simply because most of the minority students refuse to
associate with people outside of their own ethnic groups, and therefore
in large lecture halls, you can see pockets grouped by clique and
ethnicity with little or no exchange amongst them. Furthermore, ethnic
groups are granted their own lavish program houses. There is a dorm for
black students, a dorm for hispanic students, a dorm for native
american students, all of which have comforts not available to students
living in standard dorms (such as free wireless internet). Its
interesting that by creating such program houses for minorities that
they have in effect helped to segregate the population rather than
integrate it into a single homogeneous diverse body.
On the other hand, diversity of opinion is not acceptable to the
university administration. All freshmen are required to attend classes
and programs on diversity during their first few weeks of school, and
can be subject to official sanction if they do not attend or if they
publically express divergent views. The administration has also allowed
liberal and minority groups on campus to burn copies of the Review, the
predominant conservative publication on campus (and the second-most
widely-read student publication).
Many professors lack the responsibility to keep their political views
out of the classroom. Rather than teach the subjects that they are
charged with instructing, they often launch into tangential diatribes
regarding their political views, even in subjects that have nothing to
do with politics. Take for example a professor of engineering who, when
graphing in space with at least one imaginary axis, labels all
imaginary points as WMD. While I admit such is clever and humorous, it
gets tiring on the hundredth repetition.
Thus what I dislike most about my school is the hypocrisy of the
policies issued by the administration and the intolerance for diversity
of opinion by both faculty and students. Open discourse and the
presentation of multiple perspectives on issues can only enhance
understanding of various subjects, and therefore this deliberate
stifling of ideology is in my opinion counterproductive towards the
goal of any university.

Our university has gone through a method of selective decision-making processes that remove certain students from campus, and they just stopped caring about minorities in our country, other than one thing - Money. If you are an international student but you don't have the money, you'll have to go back to your own home country and whine about it. If you do have the money, roll it on a wheelbarrow and cough it up. Plain and simple. That's the only way you'll be accepted here - which is a silly case in my view. Such wasted potentials only to streamline and support the face of the majority, really.

But that's not the main focus. Like shinsengumi said. the issues of ideology, the way they access only one certain viewpoint in general pretty much - by the professor who lectures about it, of course, is a very lop-sided discussion and it tends to drive the creativity and open ideas of various students to a complete standstill. I feel like I'm having a deja vu conversation with some of my peers once again. Haha - good times. Wow - that was such a long way... a very interesting debate about this, nonetheless. I'm glad you brought it up shinsengumi - the all so powerful wise one beyond my years.

Quote by shinsengumi

Quote by Mordini hope shin, that you will find your justice in the near future, because I wouldn't mind seeing some changes in our higher learning
education system.

I hope so too. It's good that recently there
has been more awareness of this issue, through articles in the
Chronicle of Higher Education, the Academic Bill of Rights, and various
other mechanisms. What I would like is for there to be greater
dialogue, greater understanding, greater objectivity, and in the end, a
better learning environment for all.

I'll second that. It's too bad they won't listen to someone younger than them. Just because I'm younger and I have an open view of my own opinion doesn't mean my options of my own ideas should be avoided and ignored, simply because of the matter of my age. So what if I was born a lot more mature for someone of my nature? I'm unique. Definitely smarter beyond years for someone who is around my age - that's quite true, but I don't find it a problem at all. I would agree that open-minded, typical discussions where many opinions do matter and is subject to friendly, controlled debates, should be a wonderful instrument and a catalyst to helping make schools a better learning environment after all.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

Mordin

Mordin

The Wise One

Quote by shinsengumiThe fact that the university's policies actively promote segregation among racial lines by creating program houses and promoting student organizations that are exclusively for minority students in fact if not on paper bewilders me. The start of the diversity craze can be traced back to the Supreme Court's decision in Regents vs. Bakke. The problem is that all of these policies stem from a skewed reading of diversity that discounts ideology and socioeconomic background, but lends undue weight to race.

The Bakke case was for the rights of minoirty, it is to promote diversity in academia that has put a rock on the person color for many generations. The court although divided over the decision, but Justice Johnson(the justice that wrote the majority opinion) stated his point on that case very clear, we do need a standard of promoting diversity. The case itself gave a standing to many of person of color to have a chance, and the court which is mostly conservative affirmed that decision in the Michigan Law School case in 2003. I can see your problems with that decision, but the fact of the matter is not everyone start at the same playing field, and it is navie to say this is the land of the free without knowing its history. I do wish we have a different way to accomplish the goal, but Bakke case was as important as Title Nine for women in college sports. I think a different decision on the Bakke would be harmful to the advancement of many person of color.

Quote by CelessaI'll second that. It's too bad they won't listen to someone younger than them. Just because I'm younger and I have an open view of my own opinion doesn't mean my options of my own ideas should be avoided, simply because of the matter of my age. So what if I was born a lot more mature for someone of my nature? I'm unique. Definitely smarter beyond years for someone who is around my age - that's quite true, but I don't find it a problem at all. I would agree that open-minded, typical discussions where many opinions do matter and is subject to friendly, controlled debates, should be a wonderful instrument and a catalyst to helping make schools a better learning environment after all.

lol princess, I see that touch a nerve with you. I will say these, it is a very humbling experience to have someone your junior to tell you what you did wrong, so it is a hard pill to swollow for some people. Especailly for people that felt confident about their own knowledge and values, because it would be insulting to find out one's shortcoming from someone that is younger than you. :) Now it is up to smart young people like you to change that attitude by your action through calm and reasonable manner to convince people of your intelligence. You want to make them accept you at a equal standing, so you will have to be the adult on this. ;) Like shin, I hope you find your justice of getting your voice heard too, so tried not to beat up too many boys to get it. ;) :D j/k

Signature
Thank you einna for the siggy :)

Many of the students are cock faces, but that isn't what really annoys me about my school, it's the timing.
Let me briefly explain;
My school is about 50 years old. Two years ago plans began to build a new state-of-the-atr multi facilitated school. It's expected time of completion is about one month before I leave.
It's somethign that can't be helped but I get irritated to think that many unappreciative idiots (there are some good kids, I know...and gos speed to them ^^) aren't going to be able to appreciate what they have.

ExMachina

Sci-Fi Wasabi

I said homework. Though, if you said "state of building" I would have picked that. We have such an ugly school. XD

"You need a lesson in humility."
-- team VIRTUE --

Simple-ism

Maglaucher615

~The wandering forumer~

I really hate the kids at my high school. I go to an All-guy cathloic prep school, and it seems like everyone there is jerk. I can't belive how many of them are into drugs....those prejudice morons....it's really amazing. It's something you have to see -_-

~The wandering forumer~
I've gone too wayyyyy to many forums in my young life. Some i'll stay at longer then others, some i'll never return too....i just like to leave my mark in some way before i go ;)

Searching for friends!

my skool sucks like hell. the teachers r all freaks I HATE THEM all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! some1 should shoot them all dead

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Mordin, you're right, I was not too happy about the University of Michigan cases; personally, I am not in favor of affirmative action in admissions, but rather affirmative action by socioeconomic status in financial aid. I'm glad that the ludicrous (and highly unfair) point system used for undergraduate admissions was struck down, but I don't think the court went far enough in the Law School case. The narrowly-tailored vs not narrowly-tailored argument I felt just continued to sidestep the issue.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

I gotta be honest. K through 12th grade is rather a fun learning experience, depending on the school and the types of fun. Fun learning that people are very judgemental and assume things about someone they've never spoken to before or even bothered to get to know. Fun being bullied by kids who had nothing better to do with their time and fun with friends. School taught me alot of things overall. I hated the fact that people were racist/judgemental/stereotyping but heya, its life and everyones different. I'm not gonna be able to change their minds if they choose to be stubborn about things so I let them be until maturity kicks in and they realise, "Heya, I'm not thinking about how I act, maybe I should think before I speak". Saw a lot of people that changed themselves in high school and I was very pleased to see such a behavior progress. Doesn't make humanity look like its degrading.

I hate it how characteristics and behavior patterns like that are still going on today, but its a way of life and I can't change it all. Something that took me time to accept because I felt everyone could be equal, such closed-minded thinking for my youth. Though this is also from a youth thats semi-angsty and still has a bit of anger towards the school in the town he lives in. Its not like that everywhere, but some places its much worse...

It all just depends, but thats what I hated most. Was the fact that I was immediately outcasted for absolutely no reason other than I was a bit weirder. My deepest apologies to my former classmates that I had to have a.d.h.d. Too bad I couldn't change how I was born, but thankfully with the way life played out for me it taught me many things and I'm greatful overall. Otherwise I enjoyed school, except for my Algebra teacher. He had a horrible teaching method and if you didn't follow him exactly, you failed the class. Me being as stubborn as I am barely managed to pass the class >.> Ever since I've hated math so going into the beyond (Up to Calc) was just a wonderful time for me *sarcastic laugh*. Though I lived in the Library =P ..usually.

Signature Image

Norimune

Norimune

Prince of Winter

WOW! this was a popular thread... many of us hate school indeed...
I pesonaly hate exams... all teachers should trust in one's knowledge without testing you... Kind of a hard thing to do but... with all that homework and the they pretens us to study it? :)
I think the hole school sistem in a revenge complot against kids... teacher's suffered and now the make us suffer... uhhmmm there showld be a day of the year in wich teachers must wear uniforms and recieve classes from their very own students...
yess... we should call it the ''kick back'' day (no.... to simplistic) maybe the ''try your own medicine day'' (too long)...
we should call it THE day... hehehehe
muahahahahahaha XD XD XD
imagine the fisic ed. teacher running alone sweting his gutts off while the maths teacher has to solve the most intricated mathematic formulas...
ahhhh sounds like a chorus of angels... and smells like paradise (except for the sweting teacher part) :)
Ha! great idea for a manga... now if you excuse me I have to go and study for tomorow's test :sweat:

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici." By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

The only thing I really dislike about uni is the exorbanant amount of cig butts I mean put them in the bin.

Exams are hard but I usually get good marks so I feel that my craming was worth it.

I enjoyed high school as well because although I was nerd I had a group of good friends and most of my teachers were decent.

I love learning I'm one of those people who would become a profesional student if I could afford it. I mean its not all I do but its fun & interesting.

The only thing I really dislike about uni is the exorbanant amount of cig butts I mean put them in the bin.

Exams are hard but I usually get good marks so I feel that my craming was worth it.

I enjoyed high school as well because although I was nerd I had a group of good friends and most of my teachers were decent.

I love learning I'm one of those people who would become a profesional student if I could afford it. I mean its not all I do but its fun & interesting.

asianspirit

asianspirit

[head-bangs desk]

school life for me is ok. :sweat: teachers and homework, i can deal with. the major problem would be the students. >.< or maybe because i go to an all-girls school. ^_^'

even though my high school is one of the best, we tend to get a little dramatic. and i mean that with such enthusiasm. i mean, they tend to stress strongly with grades, boys, boyfriends, and all these girly stuff i don't thing guys would like to hear ;)

besides, there are a lot of b*tches here. since we're all crazy. well... that's school life for me :\

Signature
needed a new look.. :)

seiryumiko

seiryumiko

aka nike13

actually the only thing that upsets me about my school is that its impossible for a commuter student to attend any clubs/study groups/meetings because they are all held at 7pm or later ending after the last train has left the city. it just seems like the general populus forgets that 20% of the undergrads commute, mostly due to the fact that there isnt enough housing for all the students

lunacrystal

lunacrystal

Am I alive?

wat i hate about my school is that my skool is just gay. some people are brats. and the food is just disgusting.and people in my class dont take showers!

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

What i hate about my school ?
:( that its a school and I have to go ?
typeing class and when you finish first week and then you have to do a lot of projects :(
You have to take this class T_T and you can't change :@
*jump off a plane and hop that I die*

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Quote by JosieStrangemy skool sucks like hell. the teachers r all freaks I HATE THEM all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! some1 should shoot them all dead

Hmm... you sound like my friend.

I'll offer you 80 rounds of .493 calibur jacket bullets for that spinning revolver of yours. Think you can nail every one of them? Careful, they're blanks though. ROFL - However, I can see your frustration. Some schools just have no proper functional system, really.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

exentric

exentric

Plain Lazy

I actually like my school. what I dont like though is they dont have a basketball court. T_T

I like my uni (University of Houston). It's a real commuters school, so everybody does their own thing. The teachers are pretty good and professional. I do have to say that the administration of the school is kinda sloppy in general. A lot of things are unclear at the beginning of each semester, but I guess that's just the way college life is.

Be Free and Masturbate

Yoh

Yoh

Yoh The Great!

What I hate are the projects, I hate to make projects in groups, so stressful, and sometimes to much homework, but maybe is that I'm too lazy! :hmpf:

Earn money reading e-mails here

The tread is very interesting. When I was a student, I didn't hate our university, but the competition is hard of course. To the exam and homework ,I do not think it is difficult to deal with.Now I have been graduated from university for many years I miss the time when I was a student and where I studied and where I have good memories.

Hehe. I've been complaining about my school since a long time ago.

Girl school really drags you down sometimes, especially if you've just changed from a co-ed. I had a hard time a few years ago.

What I hated the most was the state of social chaos in girl school. I never realised girls were capable of being such bitches. I really had to work on sharpening my tongue, and mind to climb out of that little labyrinth. *shigh*

But after a while you cope.

- This Free Life Crisis -

Mordin

Mordin

The Wise One

Quote by realbio2002The tread is very interesting. When I was a student, I didn't hate our
university, but the competition is hard of course. To the exam and
homework ,I do not think it is difficult to deal with.Now I have been
graduated from university for many years I miss the time when I was a
student and where I studied and where I have good memories.

I agree with you right there, it is easier to hate something when you are in it. Once you are at outside looking in, you will have a different perspective on the whole thing. Of course I still hate some of the crap they tried to feed you in the system, but I did learn a lot of useful information, plus I met some of the most smartest and funiness people you will ever find. It is an experience that is unlike any other, so my advise to those of you still in a formal education system to just enjoy it, because you might miss it when you are done with it. :)

Signature
Thank you einna for the siggy :)

my school is 1 hell of a sucky one.. reasons?
-de girls r below average quality
-de teachers suck
-de facilities r not bad, but dey nvr let us use em
-all dey wan is cash,cash, n more CASH
-it juz plain sux

page 2 of 6 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 127 total items

Back to School & Work | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.