Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Should we legalize drugs? - Minitokyo

Should we legalize drugs?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 40 total items

Mordin

Mordin

The Wise One

There is a thread about this issue that hasn't been active for over 13 weeks now, so I would like to make a new one that is specifically deal with this question. I know that if you made something illegal, you will increases the likelihood of it being abuse. And please don't use the crime analogy on this, because I only narrow this observation in drugs not other crime related activity. Now in US the anti drug campaign is clearly losing its battle, because it is going to deaf's ear as the number of drug abuser increases each year. I would have like it if they actually do something about making it legal under the supervision of FDA to make it in the caterigory of alcohol and cigarette. That way we monitored the use and regluate the frequency of the use of drugs.

Of course the tax dollors collected through it can be use to increase the support of rehab for people that hit rock bottom. Now I am not encouraging people doing drugs, but it is a reality that people are doing drugs in a very abusive manner without any type of supervision from anyone. I believe it will benefit the society a great deal if they would tried to acknowledge the problem rather than hiding it in the dark as a taboo. It won't help anyone quit drugs, but a legalization can safe more lives by keeping track of the people that is doing drugs.

Signature
Thank you einna for the siggy :)

well.....I dun think that drug should be legel, or mayB more people would be interest in it.
but then you'll say....if people keep it illegal, some people will also get interest, because it is illegal. but I think....if you put it in some mart or something......alot of people will use it.....so...over some years...you'll see people taking drugs everywhere....allright.....keeping illegal will generate some criminology, so.......you think if you make it legal people wont??? well....if everybody is blowing hisself to another dimension......I think that can make some problem too and i think there will be alot people getting some side effects from drug, so.....the the finance for the hospital will rise then......but alot hospitals are running on low money, doctors,stuff and place. well.......both options are no good i think =/........

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Yours is different in a sense.

So I'll point something here. lol - its the morning. I should be going to bed - I know, I know. But the problem is, I slept all night ROFL - so I'll probably post here before I fall asleep.

Now in Canada, they decriminalized the use of marijiuana. What's the point, really? The Canadian Government thought it was a good idea, and said it "differs" from the actual term of legalizing marijiuana here up north. Problem is, when this happened, the government tactics of promoting such stronger drugs and putting a less severe charge for people in possession of marijiuana is like slapping a kid in the wrist, giving them a fee, and telling them not to do it over again. Did it help anyone in this case? Is marijiuana really the solution to all these answers? No - the tactics never worked at all.

Parents complained, smoking was at an all time high, and fellow members of the fellow Parliament turned it down, saying public health comes first over money. Others think marijiuana never hurt anyone at all, but the ethical issue made it extremely tough on the Canadian government and the law was completely frowned upon by others, providing less support for the cause than ever. Their complaints apparently worked and the ones running the ideas were in fear of losing their jobs because of this grouped response.

Through and through, they RE-criminalized the possession of marijiuana once more and it became a failed tactic in the sense. It not only made them look bad but the government looked like it was on its heels on what position it wants to take on, really. You can't support something you consider absolutely necessary for the promotion of society, and take it back because it produces further problems by people around the province. It's a good lesson they could learn from it.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

i hate drugs!! i just wished they got rid of em!! (dammit! :angry: )

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Though in general I favor as little government intrusion into private life as possible, I feel that it would be extremely counterproductive for government controls on drug use to be relaxed or eliminated altogether. I personally feel that your argument that because you feel that we are losing the fight against drugs that we should stop fighting altogether is objectively a dangerous conclusion to reach.

Simply put, drug use adversely affects the function of the body. It is not a good thing by any means, and whatever can be done to stop or slow its use should not be discounted. Just because the number of drug users may rise with controls definitely does not mean that elimination or reduction of those controls will lower the number of users. Because of its illegal nature, people will sometimes dabble in using drugs as a means of rebellion or experimentation especially when they're younger, but also due to that illegal nature, it makes many of those people think twice before engaging in use and serves as a significant force for discouraging long-term use, or for discouraging people to try in the first place.

Thus I have to say that I do not feel that even if we are losing the fight against drugs, as some claim, the correct action to take is not capitulation, but rather redoubling efforts.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

uhm.. personally I rather dislike them (although I haven't tried them all.. so only judge for those I know. )
in general, I think you can have as much if not more fun without drugs..
but people seem to want to use them.. so I'd say let them.. but tell them the results and the effects.. explain it..
people should be allowed to do with their body what they want.. but they should know what they are doing with/to their body.
there is a part of germany that as far as i know, is about to legalize soft-drugs (already decriminalised as here in .nl) and apearently.. the usage is noticably low for german standards...

[short sigs yay!]
URL: http://web.expr42.net/ or http://web6.expr42.net/
-death ot the signature bunny!- :)

JayR

The Shadow Of Death

well i've never takening any and i never will but if ppl what to use them, then let them aslong as it doesn't cause harm to other ppl...if they want 2 kill them self with drugs then let them its just 1 these drug user in the world

Is death really the end or is it just the begining?

Signature Image

In my opinion the only drug that should be legalized is cannabis. But all the "hard" stuff like crack, coke and that kind of things should stay illegal. They're just a bit too powerful...
There's nothing wrong with cannabis IMO; alcohol is far more worse than cannabis or marijuana...

well think of it this way .... if drugs should not be taken ... why must ATMs operate fer 24 hours

"Don't beat yourself up. There's plenty of people to do that for you.."

linkrulesx10

linkrulesx10

Ero kaki

i dont know much about drugs but by what ive heard on current affair shows, i think some should be legalized as long as they are not inb there hydroponically suped up form (i think the figure was something like drugs today are over 50 times stronger then they used to be)
P.S this info is not accurate since my memory isnt the greatest

You come near me and "sword of light that i doth release" ??? huh how come it isn't working??? Oh yeah i remember now im not a sorcerer ops... umm... just forget what i just said... kinda... oh thats right, I remember im a ninja now "Kage bunshin no jutsu"??? huh how come it isn't working???...

pft...if u legalize drugs then your allowing it to go on like anywhere...that means ppl who don't want to be around drugs don't have much choice because drugs are legal...its not really fair to those hurt by drugs and are trying to rehab. and avoid drugs if u legalize it and make it around everywhere...too many bad consquences over weighing the benifits

o_O-0
weeeeeeeee

Quote by Chopstickzpft...if u legalize drugs then your allowing it to go on like anywhere...that means ppl who don't want to be around drugs don't have much choice because drugs are legal...

well I don't think you should allow it everywhere.. just like normal smoking..
do it in you're own home or designated places..
here you're not allowed to smoke in closed public spaces (like trainstations) or workplaces.. (unless it's in a designated area for smokers) I'd say it counds as well for people smoking anything else...
and avoiding it? well people are still responsible for their actions.. if they are anoying because they have taken something.. I'd handle them the same way as if they didn't..
drunken people can annoy me aswell. as alcohol is a drug.. but avoiding them is rather hard..
I don't care if you take anything within you're own home or somewhere where people don't mind.. be it cannabis, hash, mdma, mushrooms or alcohol or nicotine..
just don't bother other people with it..

[short sigs yay!]

even if u do regulate where its allowed your still giving easy access to the drug for children
its understandable if u want to legalize it to regulate how adults use it but children drink and smoke and that goes unknown by their parents...legalizing drugs is now giving them easier access to dangerous chemicals...things they shouldn't be around and things their most likely dont want them to be around

o_O-0
weeeeeeeee

that's why I say educate..
kids don't really care if it's legal or not.. they actually would take it because it's illegal..
if you tax it, ban commercials for it (smoking commercials are basicly illegal here aswell) and try to educate the public, that has more effect then just making it illegal.. and with making it illegal.. you also remove your control over it and you remove personal freedom which I find personally very important..
it's generally just the same as with alcohol and nicotine...

[short sigs yay!]

Ayamael

Ayamael

yumemitai

okay... i honestly don't think that control method would work... it doesn't even work on cigarettes all that well... even the disgusting pictures of cigarettes effect on the human body don't stop that many people... now, if drugs are legal, nothing is stopping people from doing them anymore which is really bad, to me it's like saying : "drugs are okay, take them... they won't damage your body" i know my dad would just love it...

yeah, i'm a little touchy feelly on that subject... my parents divorced because of my father's addiction, and i know he still didn't stop taking cannabis (the only drug i'm not totally against), hell, i've seen him smoke with my cousins during a family party. but i have no idea if he stopped taking harder drugs... now the last thing i want, is for the government to give him the permission to take them... i don't feel like seeing a junky everytime i go to my father's house...

plus, considering how damageable drugs are to the human body, damages that can also be passed on to the kids of drug addicts, i'd say we shouldn't even think about encouraging the use of drugs, even if it's for control purposes... i mean, addicts already can't control themselves though drugs are still illegal...

so, i would suggest more insistance on drug education... a lot more insistance... and more help programs for addicts and so on... i know, it may not seem to work really well, but what image are we gonna give the kids if we say drugs are allowed?

notice, i never took a single drug in my life (i swear), just seeing how my life was destroyed because of my father's addiction, and the threat from my mother of throwing me out of the house if i ever tried were more than enough to dissuade me from taking any... and those speech on how damageable drugs can be to the physical and mental health of people really encouraged me to keep going with my decision of not taking drugs, even when basically all of my friends already tried them at least once...

Sigourney

Sigourney

perfectAssassin

Quote by webmindthat's why I say educate..
kids don't really care if it's legal or not.. they actually would take it because it's illegal..
if you tax it, ban commercials for it (smoking commercials are basicly illegal here aswell) and try to educate the public, that has more effect then just making it illegal.. and with making it illegal.. you also remove your control over it and you remove personal freedom which I find personally very important..
it's generally just the same as with alcohol and nicotine...

Oh dear... I don't know how it looks in Netherlands... but here (in Poland) no student gives a sh** about what they are told (especially in school)... we have meetings about drugs/smoking/drinking/sex almost every year starting from about 4th year in Primary School... and what? nothing... the number of teenagers doing drugs (and other things) increases each year... and also taxing/baning commercials won't solve the problem... kids know where and how much...

And yeah... I'm against legalising drugs...

Signature Image
Showtaro Morikubo-sama~<333

Cataclysm

Cataclysm

Shadows of nothing

Ok, personally I think that making drugs legal isn't a good idea simply because, as shinsengumi said, that fact that it is illegal is a deterrent for people to start in the first place. However I do think that it would be a good idea for the government to release non biased detailed reports on the effects that each type of drug has on people so that users of these drugs can know and understand what it is doing to them. On top of this the drugs wouldn't be so dangerous if they weren't produced in dodgy labs using cheap quality substances by god only knows who. Now I know this may sound crazy but if the government controlled and manufactured their own quality/untainted safer drugs they would know that at least the drugs people were taking had a lower chance of doing serious damage to them and reduce poisonings. And the low quality drugs would most likely no longer be in demand as people would be more likely to choose a quality drug that they know is safe over a inferior and possibly dangerous alternative. I've heard of a few cases where people have died taking fairly low level drugs not because they ODed on them but because they were of a low quality and poisoned the user. Think of it this way, if cigarettes and alcohol weren't made by big companies and didn't have strict safety requirements for their sale imposed on them by the government they would probably be a lot more dangerous for people to consume.

Well that's my opinion anyway.

lordofgamblers

lordofgamblers

wazzzzzzzzzzuuuuuppppp!!!!!!!!

drugs should definitley be legalised i'm not saying that i'm a crackwhore or something but some drugs such as ganja and cocaine leaves of the cocu plant have medicinal properties it's just the dumbasses who abuse the drugs that give it a bad name

of all the foods in the world donuts reign supreme

mdntdragon

mdntdragon

Dark Dragon---Ruler of the night

WHAT are you? High?

On leathern wings and with fiery breath, I descend upon you!

Holt

Holt

pffft

Well we all know trying to make people stop using drugs is a failed cause. So if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Or in this case, don't join them but rather try and make it easier to restrict it.

I've seen plenty of presentations on this. One great argument I heard was this:
People always use drugs but as they are illegal, they get them from illegal drug dealers who charge extreme prices, taking advantage of addiction and normally also use impure and therefore very dangerous forms. Although the worst drugs can be dangerous in themselves, e.g. ecstasy (which causes users to dehydrate themselves to death), they're made worse due to the impurities common in drug dealer products. Not to mention all the drug dealers killing each other for territory.
If made legal, illegal dealers could be put out of business and the safety and health of consumers in general could be helped through legal distributors (like pharmacies) under close supervision by the government.
Of course, this doesn't apply to heroine, ecstasy, cocaine and other such "hard" drugs as they're too dangerous for anyone to use regardless. But perhaps the legalisation of marijuana might not be a bad idea. I know that in UK for one, it's definitely already in widespread use in the younger community (When I was at reading festival there was a haze of marijuana over the entire campsite. You couldn't not get high even if you wanted to) Punishment for possesion is already very low, where they basically take it off you and give you a lecture. Intention to deal is much worse of course.

This is all well and good but when you think about it, what's the difference between normal smoking and marijuana? They both kill you yet make you happy. Why is smoking legal whereas marijuana illegal? Just because smoking companies have better lobbyists?
Though I think they should try legalize the milder drugs to try and help addicted users,
I still think drugs are disgusting. That includes tobacco, because that's the same thing. I really hate smoke.

By the way, while I was in reading I didn't try any smoking or marijuana, although my friends tell me it's the "shiznit". I've never smoked or done drugs and never will. It's a terrible thing to do to your body and mind.
Wouldn't it be great if everyone just didn't use drugs? yeah I wish

Signature Image

DarkSavior

DarkSavior

~Death's Adversary~

I just think Marijuana should be legal. But only after you're 21 and older. People who never tried marijuana think it is as bad as crack and cocaine. I think the media makes it seems that way. Need more reasons? Just ask ^_^'

I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be...

DarkMaiden1369

DarkMaiden1369

.::Hopeless::.

Quote by DarkSaviorI just think Marijuana should be legal. But only after you're 21 and older. People who never tried marijuana think it is as bad as crack and cocaine. I think the media makes it seems that way. Need more reasons? Just ask ^_^'

You would say that ^_^' lol I have no opinion, I could care less
not my problem but if they do they should put a HUGE tax on it ^^'
I'm sure the governtment would make money on that and then they
could waste it on some ridiculous shit like they always do^_^' um...
idk if what I just said even made sense lol but oh well it did to me
for the record I dont do any drugs and havent tried any either

Signature Image
You shattered all the hopes and dreams I never had.....

Be it on the drug user's head. Personally I don't really like to touch anything that alters my senses. It takes me out of control of things I really should have a say in. So as long as I'm not affected by lifeless junkies that can't find anything better to do than drugs, then I wouldn't particularly mind.

Wether it gets legalized or not, people will start/continue using drugs anyway. It's all about your own preferences wether you would like to use drugs or experiment with it or not.

I do not recommend starting with things like cocaine, speed, or ecstacy though, cause people with a little "willpower" or a weak(er) personality (even tho some of those weak personality people will act like they are very stable) are the ones who get addicted to it.

Soft drugs like Cannabis, Hasj etc. shouldn't be too much of a taboo anymore. I like it more than alcohol. (Alcohol makes me do things I don't want or makes me aggressive). Cannabis i.e. makes me feel relaxed. It's great if you don't want a really rough "party-evening" but just wanna relax a little with friends, watching a movie or something.

If you have a weak stomache or anything you should not mix it with alcohol or overdo it (especially not the first few times).

But hey, am I going offtopic here.. or not ? :)

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 40 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.