Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Should we legalize drugs? - Minitokyo

Should we legalize drugs?

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 40 total items

Jheiracks

Jheiracks

absently lost in creation

Drugs are just a common factor. Nothing anyone say's or does can change that. I think that if they were regulated and taxed perhaps usage would decline. I think the entire 'Drug' as well as 'Prostitution' usage would be better of legalized and monitored. That's just my personal opinion.

punker0017

punker0017

My backpack's got jets

Many of the people here have made points that I would make.

I think that drugs should be legalized. However, the government should be in charge of all aspects of the creation and distribution of the drugs. Most of the money would go back to the government, some of which could be used to fund rehab centers and the like. The people who want to do drugs are going to do them whether they are legal or not. At least this way, drugs will be safer for the users, drug money will not end up in the hands of terrorists, and society will generally be better off. Plus, who wouldn't like a little more freedom in their lives?

Signature in violation of the Signature Guidelines

Mordin

Mordin

The Wise One

I think people have these general conception that once you ban something that something will disapper. In US we tried the Prohibition in the 1920s, it didn't stop people from getting drinks. I am just puzzle at people turning a blind eye on the real issue, and that is the addiction can't be overcome because we damn it to be illegal. Let's face it, people are doing drugs regardless whether we criminalize or decriminalize it, so it is easy for us to deal with it as a society to make it illegal and put it in the taboo section of our policy. To me that is a easy way out, because the addictics have no where to turn to, and the use of drugs is very unsafe under such condition. A government sanction can forster a better environment for the drug user to quit, because right now making it illegal isn't helping anyone quitting. We don't have necessary funding to deal with this area because all of it is going to make room in prison for drug offenders and ad campaign about how using drugs support the terrorist. I won't comment on that. ;)

For people that stand against legalizing drugs on moral ground is just not a practical argument. Hey last time I check pre premarital sex was immoral, but it has become a very frequent thing in society. Sometimes I felt that we are doing ourself a great disservice if we detach ourselves from the problem if it is something that is sinful, and we no longer look at it from the practical persepctive. It isn't working anymore to make drugs illegal to use, because we are dealing with human beings here not data. You know what is our method of dealing with drug abuser, prison, that is where we teach them not to take drugs but teach them to become violent offender when they are done with rehab. :angry: I am so disgusted by this stubborn policy in which we are pursuiting to the very end, because I don't believe the drug users right now has the same type of support as some of the smokers has in society, because our standard of treating two substance is different.

Quote by CelessaNow in Canada, they decriminalized the use of marijiuana. What's the point, really? The Canadian Government thought it was a good idea, and said it "differs" from the actual term of legalizing marijiuana here up north. Problem is, when this happened, the government tactics of promoting such stronger drugs and putting a less severe charge for people in possession of marijiuana is like slapping a kid in the wrist, giving them a fee, and telling them not to do it over again. Did it help anyone in this case? Is marijiuana really the solution to all these answers? No - the tactics never worked at all.

Parents complained, smoking was at an all time high, and fellow members of the fellow Parliament turned it down, saying public health comes first over money. Others think marijiuana never hurt anyone at all, but the ethical issue made it extremely tough on the Canadian government and the law was completely frowned upon by others, providing less support for the cause than ever. Their complaints apparently worked and the ones running the ideas were in fear of losing their jobs because of this grouped response.

The law itself is flaw, but the message isn't. I have to disagree with you on this princess, the spirit of the law was in the right place. Kids are going to smoke whether there is a law or not to permit them, because I don't believe kids learn about drugs from the government, they most likely learn from dealers in their streets. So unlike smoking, there is no age check for using drugs as long as you have the monetary means to pay for it. So we need to attack the problem with acceptance it as a problem rather than shuffle it under a floor matress. However this isn't to encourage the use of drugs but a measure to make it known that drug problem existed and there is a way to educate the public in open rather than the fear of punishment to teach the public what a drug addiction is.

Quote by shinsengumiThough in general I favor as little government intrusion into private
life as possible, I feel that it would be extremely counterproductive
for government controls on drug use to be relaxed or eliminated
altogether. I personally feel that your argument that because you feel
that we are losing the fight against drugs that we should stop fighting
altogether is objectively a dangerous conclusion to reach.
Simply put, drug use adversely affects the function of the body. It is
not a good thing by any means, and whatever can be done to stop or slow
its use should not be discounted. Just because the number of drug users
may rise with controls definitely does not mean that elimination or
reduction of those controls will lower the number of users. Because of
its illegal nature, people will sometimes dabble in using drugs as a
means of rebellion or experimentation especially when they're younger,
but also due to that illegal nature, it makes many of those people
think twice before engaging in use and serves as a significant force
for discouraging long-term use, or for discouraging people to try in
the first place.
Thus I have to say that I do not feel that even if we are losing the
fight against drugs, as some claim, the correct action to take is not
capitulation, but rather redoubling efforts.

Well I agree with you shin in your concern, I differ in how you are supporting the our public policy on drugs as an effective way to make people stop using drugs. To surpress something, you need to kill the root of the problem, and I don't assume we can wipe out every drug lord in the world anytime soon. The current system can't be reform because the government didn't know what is happening out there in the streets, because they are just lying to themselves that they can control drugs. I wish they would take your advise in redoubling their effort in different tactics, but you can teach a dumb dog only so many tricks, pardon my expression. We need to change our whole outlook at the problem, because we need to admit we can't stamp the tide of the trend just because we think it isn't morally sound. There is no reason to spend anymore resource on a losing cause if we have a better alternative. Think about it, do you think legalizing drugs will increase drug usage, I don't think so, because people who wanted to use drugs already are using it as we speak. Government doesn't have that much effects on people's desire, only people themselves can montior what they are doing. So I didn't give up on the war on drugs, the government did that when they decide they aren't going to have a open mind about it.

Quote by CataclysmO However I do thinkthat it would be a good idea for the government to release non biased detailed reports on the effects that each type of drug has on people so that users of these drugs can know and understand what it is doing to them. On top of this the drugs wouldn't be so dangerous if they weren't produced in dodgy labs using cheap quality substances by god only knows who. Now I know this may sound crazy but if the government controlled and manufactured their own quality/untainted safer drugs they would
know that at least the drugs people were taking had a lower chance of doing serious damage to them and reduce poisonings. And the low quality drugs would most likely no longer be in demand as people would be more likely to choose a quality drug that they know is safe over a inferior and possibly dangerous alternative. I've heard of a few cases where people have died taking fairly low level drugs not because they ODed on them but because they were of a low quality and poisoned the user. Think of it this way, if cigarettes and alcohol weren't made by big companies and didn't have strict safety requirements for their sale imposed on them by the government they would probably be a lot more dangerous for people to consume. Well that's my opinion anyway.

Well that is what i am saying, the government should have done that when they knew their policy wasn't working. It is no longer about saving face here, it is a better policy to ensure the safe use of drugs than just criminalize drug user as criminals. Oh yeah, like that is going to make everything all right. If you guys think no punishment means free regin on going wild, then we should all ask our religious authority for preferernce here. The last time I check some christian group suggested that if you don't believe in Jeus Christ and that you continue a sinful way of lifestyle all of us are going to Hell, now I don't think many people follow that hard line anymore. Its not like once we stop believing such dogmatic doctrine, we will go wild and have sex and kill everything in side just because some of us don't believe in Hell, because we all have a reasonable expectation of our behavior in society. Education is the key here, and parents need to be more involve on this issue than having the government babysit their own kids' conduct.

Signature
Thank you einna for the siggy :)

fieldy

blind

heck yeah they should legalize cause that makes you do a lot of dumb sh....stuff

Pounding, it starts again Hurting, oh where do I begin? Screaming, they dance around my head Hoping, they'll maybe end up dead.
Feeling it grab hold, what can I say? Really f^*@ed up again (I gotta do this right) I can't f^*@ing given in (I feel that I can fight) Can't I ever win (I'll keep it on my mind) Here it comes again!
Silent it goes away Patient, oh really should I stay? Trying so hard to get ahead Failure, is often where I'm lead
Feeling it grab hold, what can I say? Really f^*@ed up again (I gotta do this right) I can't f^*@ing given in (I feel that I can fight) Can't I ever win (I'll keep it on my mind) Here it comes again!

thelunarmage

thelunarmage

I'm getting too old for this...

A complicated issue to be sure. I don't think legalising drugs will help much unless by doing it, the government is able to strip control of it from the drug barons which is highly unlikely. By the same token, in keeping it illegal the majority of people will think twice about taking illicit drugs, but clearly that is no longer enough of a deterrent to stop people taking it any longer. I think a middle ground can be reached, I don't know what that middle ground looks like, but a compromise of some sort that bridges the extremes of handling the drug debate might be a great starting point to finally analysing the issue. Here in Australia we recently had trials for drug safehouses where heroin or other such drug user could go and take their drug with clean needles and dispose of them in a safe environment. If something went wrong, then the user would have help within moments. I don't know how effective they were and the locations of these places were highly topical because people don't like the idea of drug users hanging around near them, but I thought it was a good starting point for a middle ground thing.
Addicts will always be addicts. Doesn't matter if it's illicit drugs, booze, cigs, gambling, sex, or something else (maybe even MT *lol*). People who become addicts have a core issue that needs to be addressed, but unfortunately that core issue is different for every person I believe. Also an addict needs to want to help themselves out of their addiction. It ain't no good having a solution for the addict when that addict doesn't want to take the solution. The government really needs to invest more in trying to support those or make more accessible, ways to support a rehabilitating addict and to find ways to entice an addict to see their problem and want to fix it.
Just my feelings and thoughts on the whole topic. :)

Phantom: You alone can make my song take flight! It's over now, the music of the night! - The Phantom of the Opera

Proud member of: Oldsters |MegatokyoFC | GameThreadSociety | Goddess-Fanclub | Dub-Lovers-Group | ChrnoCrusade | MT-Singles-Club | Minitokyo-Australia

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

I don't think it would be wise to legalize drugs. First off, legalizing drugs could lead to drug abuse, and drug abuse could lead to suicide. Forgive me for not wasting any words, but I'll provide a better explanation in the future. :)

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

Nope, keep it illegal, or else I won't be able to make a high profit.

MadWiz

MadWiz

Student Slacker

Quote by MystfyreNope, keep it illegal, or else I won't be able to make a high profit.

o.O what are you doing!! thats bad~~

ok I think.. legalizing drugs may commonly be looked at to be a bad thing.. but it may indirectly lead to something good.. nobody really knows what will happen unless it already did
I am a bit lazy to read all the long long opinions everyone else said~ only did some..

in my own opinions..
legalizing drugs may lead to outbursts of drugs in the society yes.. getting them from dealers may become cheaper but there are quite a lot of people who take drugs because they think it is cool, especially cause it is illegal~ Addicted people may be able to take in larger amounts, but those who have never tried may not get hooked to it as they find it not cool anymore.. others may still think about trying though since its cheaper(and maybe more people will offer samples of them too) possibilities are countless.. there are many people of different personalities, should more people have a good mind, legalizing may be good. But when more people have corrupted minds, this may make matters worse. But somehow if addicts get so addicted they all die of drugs then the rest may not dare venture into this danger..

It is like almost impossible to talk about what would happen.. if a lot of us have no problems with the current way, I think it is better that it stay this way..

with rehab matters.. I think those addicts should be given a choice whether they want to quit or not.. if well somebody never have the thought of quitting in the first place.. he may once again lead to the same life he had after being released from rehab..
it is all still a weird world afterall..

ok, can some of you give me a reason why I am -not- allowed to do with my body whatever I want?
what gives you the right to decide for someone else what he should do ?

to summarise:
banning drugs will not make it go away.. it will just make certain individuals very rich (dealers)
legalising and taxing will provide the government money to educate and take of those that overdid it

as for blaiming drugs.. my dad abused a lot alcohol and was unstil recently quite addicted to smoking
but how the hell would you blaim inanimate objects? it was his choice to take them.. and to start with it.. is lack of will power to quit..
therefore all the results are his responsibility.. denying that is just the denying the responsibilities..

furthermore I'm against regular use.. it is addictive.. and all the stuff I've tried/had where mind numbing.. and taking control from my mind.. which I don't like..
and I'm not saying that you should say its ok to take them.. that's why you should make it as clear as possible what they do to you..
ah yes.. and currently most governments refuse to educate the public because they think it would increase the idea that it's legal.. or allowed.. and ofcourse they love to be biased on the whole thing allowing alcohol and sigaretes (where alcohol is actually worse then cannabis)

[short sigs yay!]
URL: http://web.expr42.net/ or http://web6.expr42.net/
-death ot the signature bunny!- :)

StarKitty

StarKitty

.::It's been so long::.

hmmm =^_^= Kitty thinks drugs should be banned from the world durgs are bad and they kill people Kitty doesn't like drugs at all and thinks people should car more about theirselves other then their drugs Kitty is sad that it kills people :( Kitty hopes someday drugs will be gone from the world so that everyone can be happy and healthy =^_^=

Signature
Templates for avy and siggy are from Ever-Falling.net ^.^
A Star has been born...a Kitty Star! ^_^
Avy and siggy done by my mommy Kitten ^_^ Thank you

Well, no country I know of has actually made ALL drugs illegal (Tobbaco and Alchol are drugs, medically & biologically speaking, they are simply 'acceptable' drugs. For that matter, caffiene is too)

Caffiene is allowed because it's relatively mild, has only minor health side effects, and doesn't impare judgement.

Nicotine is allowed Despite major health issues because of public Demand + companies with money + doesn't effect judgement /reactions much.

Alchol is allowed Despite major health issues & major imparement of judgment because of how intensley people want ot (look atwhat hapened during prohibition)

THC's effects are no worse than alchol's effects, and it never causes anger/violence mood changes, and people do not feel like driving when stoned, so it's true effects are LESS harmful than alchol, and people want to be abel to smoke it recreationally. What is the logic in keeping it illegal? If it was legal, drug cartelswould no longer make money off of it, and thge government coudl tax it, and every oen woudl be better off for the change.

Stolen

Stolen

*~*Burning Wings*~*

I would have considered, with such a deep issue, that drugs is a huge deal. By making drugs available legally, you are almost inviting drug abusers to obtain drugs - potentially harmful ones at that - over the counter, or at the doctors. Although this seems to be a bad issue, and possibly a bad point to raise at first, it is necessary to also understand why they may do this.

Here are a few points that I have got going through my head right now:

a) by legalising potential drugs that could have serious side effects, you could start by helping people out with drug problems by deliberately issuing a gradually less potent drug each time. This, like coming off smoking, is a good idea to stop people who may be on a losing battle, get better without knowing it.

b) there is a less risk of drugs being potentially more dangerous than they sometimes appear. If I knew my kid was a drug addict, I'd rather have them admit it and obtain a reasonable, safer version of it, than get it from some dude on the corner of the street who could have mixed goodness knows what in it.

c) there could be potential to understand what demographics we are looking at who are taking and misusing drugs the most. Advertising, marketing, possible ways to prevent more drug abuse and to improve the children of our future into healthy habits, is always a good point.

d) help to treat those immediately who try to obtain the legalised version of the drugs, if they wish and agree to do so. Many of these people also have debts, or other problems, and many other facilities could be opened, or if opened, used to full potential in helping kids and adults with drug problems to get back on their feet.

Of course, with any such contraversial topic there are always going to be cons for setting up this kind of thing, but I wanted to look at it from a different angle. Sure making drugs legal does mean a lot of kids who subconciously try to 'break' the system, will be healthier in the future. But isn't that what we all actually want?

Then there is the argument that if we legalise drugs, then maybe they will go find something harder. Yeah, they may do, but for a good couple of years, we may have solved a lot of our present and previous drug related problems in society. Harder things will of course, be harder to find, and many won't be bothered when they won't have the money to do so.

Stolen-chan
x

*~* Please Don't Leave - Believe Me *~*

Kumiko-H

Kumiko-H

Professional reader

Illegal drugs almost seem taboo. People become users just because its considered immoral to do so. Making them legal takes some of the mystery and draw away from the drugs. Taxing it would also decrease the amount of users. Some past users who are accustom to paying a flat rate will no longer afford the substance. In addition you'll have those who will refuse to pay a tax, further decreasing consumption. Possible medicinal uses may come from these drugs, too. Marijuana is already prescribed, there may be some uses of other drugs (I have never used a drug in my life honest. Way too afraid). The legality of drugs could also help determine who is purchasing these drugs. That would deter drug dealers due to identification requirements. There are a million reasons why drugs should be legalized.

One thing a professor once told me (he and I had this conversation once, also) was that legalizing drugs will have the same affect as increasing the speed limit. You will always have people who will never reach the speed, people who will obey the limit, and those who will go way faster than the limit. Same goes for drugs, you will have those who will never touch the stuff, you will have those who'll use them legally, and you will always have someone who will over-use them. Legalizing them would hopefully decrease that number of people.

Signature
All I want to do is read all day long. Can someone tell me how I can get a job like that! LET'S LEAD THE PROFESSIONAL READERS REVOLUTION!!! Any takers???

No way, I don't want to see people lying down and vomitting on the street because of drug effects.

why for who knows sake do people need other people telling them what they can or can't do with them selves?
as for killing.. cars, trains, people, planes, and other random items kill people too.. should we ban those aswell ?
and consider indeed that coffee and chocolate contain drugs aswell? actually.. chocolate as a lot in common with mdma.. and people use by the loads..
and if you care so much about other.. why indeed eat chocolate? most of the chocolate for sale is produced by child slavery (about all of the nestle products for instance)..
maybe it's a idea to look at people hurting other people ? instead of people hurting themselves?

sorry for this.. but I kinda get 'agitated' by people being trying reduce my freedom by enforcing their values on me.. and at same time being hypocritical.. sorry..
- plays the role of the dealer and hands out chocolate.. first one always free(all other ones aswell in my case :) ) -

[short sigs yay!]
URL: http://web.expr42.net/ or http://web6.expr42.net/
-death ot the signature bunny!- :)

MoonlightEternity

MoonlightEternity

::Amayasuki::

>.< wha.... i'm replying so late....

i dislike the thought of it because it would be a good reason for those ppl who deal drugs to sell even more. So i'm against it. even if some people need drugs for medical reasons (like cancer, or something along that line). but they have prescriptions with them.

well, either end as a downside.... so i say leave it as illegal

Signature Image
::MoonlightEternity aka Kimi-chan::

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 40 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.