Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Why always swords?? - Minitokyo

Why always swords??

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 43 total items

blackchii

blackchii

Enjou no Kougyoku

All the RPG gamers must have know this. Almost all of the main char on the RPG based game always have swords as their default weapon, why is that??
(I love swords, just want to know the reason why swords are so popular to be used on the main char)

Signature

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

I gues swords have always been a part of mythical and fantasy storytelling.

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

that, and they're shiny ;)

[short sigs yay!]
URL: http://web.expr42.net/ or http://web6.expr42.net/
-death ot the signature bunny!- :)

Hey in .hack didnt kite use daggers?Rhapsody didnt she use a horn "love this game very fun and hard to find" (just saying all of that)
but your right always something with blades.

benjaminchia

benjaminchia

:express yourself:

I guess in games they are the most common of weapons and mostly heros look powerful wielding a big sword . That's why most main characters have swords as default weapon.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Lilith-Aensland

Lilith-Aensland

The Sinner

They're cool XD
Seriously...I think it's like a symbol that they have to protect and/or save someone and/or something and they won't give up until they've accomplished their mission.They have the same role that knights had in the past.

Signature Image

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Yes, it's true that the basic weapon of RPGs is the sword, but there are some RPGs that use other weapons that are most likely to suit their position. Shion Uzuki used an arm packed with ether in Xenosaga, and Virginia used arms in Wild Arms 3. So the weapon the main hero used varied from time to time, and from game to game depending on the situation and what is more suitable for that situation.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

Kimaris

Kimaris

Still rolling on

Swords have that mythical aura around them (i.e. Excalibur) and so most often used. But in games like Phantom Brave, FF 1, 2 & Tactics (gba), and others like it you can change the main wepons.
In the FF games it depends on the class of the characters and what you want them to be.
In Phantom Brave you can change depending on what you want (power=axes, speed=swords, magic=scrolls/staffs, ect.)
But then swords are just cool either way.
I personally like the Gunblade in FFVIII.
Thats my opinion anyway ^_^'

*yawn*
=================================================================
A member of the [Naruto Fan Group] and [MT-UK]

bloodphoenix

bloodphoenix

Shadowflame

swords are supposedly easier to wield than other weapons plus they are also easier to draw most of the time than other weapons but a lot of games have a variety of weapons take t.o.s that has swords,charkrams,daggers,kendama,axes,staffs,paper fans,brooms you get the general idea(p.s there are also various kinds of swords,so a sword in one game may not be the same kind of sword as that in another)

Time is wriitten on the wind Fate is not carved in sheets of stone these are the words that I have heard~gasaraki
I lie in darkness because darkness lies in me

Tes

Ichi-nii

Quote by Aa-chanI gues swords have always been a part of mythical and fantasy storytelling.

Yes, and aswell in europe and almost every history possible... sowrds are cool!

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Swords are Cool! that's all the reason needed. :)

Vetus

Vetus

Lonely Rolling Star

Same goes here. The funny thing is that even in hi-tech universes like this one of Star Wars, in critical compacts they use lightblades insted of lazerguns or something more powerful. But who cares? Swords are so cool! After all, a sword can be very lethal at the hands of a skillful swordman e.x. Hawk Eyes from One Piece who cut in half a huge pirate ship with only one hit. Amazing!!!

What is "normal", anyway? If you aren't troubling the rest of the world, then there's no harm in being abnormal.

thelunarmage

thelunarmage

I'm getting too old for this...

I guess it's because they are instantly recognisable and identifiable. People know what a sword is and what it can do. Therefore a main character should have a weapon that is understood by as many people as possible. I personally prefer a nice staff to a sword, but that's because I prefer magic over brawn. :nya:

Phantom: You alone can make my song take flight! It's over now, the music of the night! - The Phantom of the Opera

Proud member of: Oldsters |MegatokyoFC | GameThreadSociety | Goddess-Fanclub | Dub-Lovers-Group | ChrnoCrusade | MT-Singles-Club | Minitokyo-Australia

XavierCrow

From Angel to Vigilante

Personally, I couldn't imagine creating the main character to an RPG without a sword. First of all, I'm a great believer in swords over guns, honour over power, etc. But there are many reasons why it's preferred. The heroe's skill can come into play a lot more with using a sword than it could with a gun. Different moves, etc. Also, it's hard to imagine a more modern "ak47 in the stone" or a god handing over "Excalibur .0437 magnum"! XP It's hard to imagine a gun with magical powers or embodieng a spirit. The sword has everything. I prefer sleaker, lighter, samurai-swords to broad swords or short swords, but that's just me. Also, I think it's because sword battles are cool! Gun fights tend to be unimaginative (with the exception of GunKata from Equilibrium) whereas sword fighting is a lot more creative, i.e. ffviii Introduction movie. Finally, it puts the hero on the same or a lower peg than their enemy. They're fighting fairly, against those who would not. It always looks like someone with a lot of armour and guns, is over-compensating.

In the end, all there is, is what exists and what we believe or perceive is true... and there's no distinctions between the two.
- Myself

It's got that phallic touch to it, y'know? Attracts guys and girls both XD

Swords are awesome, and they're pretty varied too. You have your greatsword (52" blades, two handed) longswords (40"blades, one or two handed), hand and a half swords (aka bastard swords, about 45" blades, one or two hands), short swords (I'm bored of listing blade length now), scimitars, falchions, cutlasses, rapiers, double bladed swords (like Zidane from FF9's ultimate weapon), and daggers (throwing and stabbing dagger)

Add in the fantasy stuff you can apply to a swords hilt and blade (decorations, special effects etc.) and then the fact that in a game a sword can be massivley oversized and stupidly accessorised (e.g. Dante's Sparda blade form DMC...the massive red one that could turn into a boomerang like sickle or a spear depending on what attack you used). Eventually, you've got a very unique weapon. that is quite memorable. Other weapons just can't live up to this variety, so a sword is the obvious choice.

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Swords? Why not swords?

Heck, Bujingai had a massive amount of sword skills back then, using ancient magic to slowly deflect off every bullet shot fired at them. Then you have people like Sieg from Chaos Legion who is just crazy with swords, but that was back in the day. Sure, I've seen RPG games that had the use of guns as well, but swords are cool for their swordstyle, and their gameplay actions. It also depends on the environment. If you want that medieveal-action feel, go for swords. Futuristic gameplay, go for trigger-happy guns. That's the way these themes work.

If you want real guns, think of the Front Mission series. Now they have an over-massive fetish of arms for these kind of things. lol

Some make swords look awesome. It gives off that mystical, ancient feel. Some make guns look much better than knives - like Metal Gear Solid - though that's not an RPG game - lol. More of an adventure one at it. Still a good example to put nonetheless.

I preferably like RPG games with both guns and swords. Swords endure better and they make certain characters look cool, and a sword can be carried around everyday much more easily for survival here. I wouldn't mind using both weapons when playing a character in a battle. Switching up from sword to gun and back looks awesome indeed. Deflect bullets with swords, fire back with a one-hand automatic small machinegun. Definitely cool.

http://img179.exs.cx/img179/7531/11091196727835nl.jpg

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

Vetus

Vetus

Lonely Rolling Star

I have played few RPGs. One of them is Wild Arms 3, a very cool RPG with guns. As about anime, one of the most famous heroes is Vash, the Stampede, who carries a gun. And he's also sooooooo cool! Guns are also cool (do I use this word often enough? ^_^' ) but not as much as the swords. Even tought my favourite weapon is nunchaku. wataaahhh!!! Oooops! I'm off topic... :sweat:

What is "normal", anyway? If you aren't troubling the rest of the world, then there's no harm in being abnormal.

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Quote by VetusI have played few RPGs. One of them is Wild Arms 3, a very cool RPG
with guns. As about anime, one of the most famous heroes is Vash, the
Stampede, who carries a gun. And he's also sooooooo cool! Guns are also
cool (do I use this word often enough? ^_^' ) but not as much as the
swords. Even tought my favourite weapon is nunchaku. wataaahhh!!!
Oooops! I'm off topic... :sweat:

I loved Wild Arms 3.

I have the entire soundtrack and Virginia was definitely cool to boot! Jet was like madness with his combo skills, and Clive rocks my socks with his super-surpassed intelligence and his amazing unmatched strength as well. Didn't like the ending though as much, but the game was a true classic. lol - Hey Vetus! **Pulls out her bow and arrow as well** Let's see how you dodge this one. Just kidding. **Snickers**

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

diamarrr

diamarrr

Does it matter?

hheeh why are u guys talking bout wild arms now........haha yea wild arms rocks!!!!=D y swords bcuz it ownzzzzz n its cool n ermm ermm u know the rest

Khriss

Khriss

is addicted to RO again. sigh.

FF9 uses daggers and that double-bladed thingy :)

Zidane rocks XD

but i tend to like double weapons more ^_^
like Ashton's broadswords
and Zidane's daggers ^_^
or the (ragnarok online) assassin's katar XD

Most characters have swords cause their really basic and their really cool!!

Well, I guess cause most games are made in japan...and many play in medieval times...so the weapon of choice naturally is a sword! (swords r nice!!)

It's because people take a liking to swords and they are mostly the choice of weapon for the creators, which are, in fact, mostly Japanese... Hence they treasure their samurai heritage by preserving the significance of the blade in games... It also because usually, games are set in olden times, in fantasy, or in adventure, where swords were common and preferrably used... It's a basic weapon so it should not be questioned otherwise...

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 43 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.